• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
But they include white women

Who voted for trump

This is like talking to a brick wall
She could be -10 with white women and +30 with women of colour, which can result in +4 with women overall. You said "she's more favorable than unfavorable for older white women" which you don't know for a fact. In fact, you are most likely wrong (looking at her approval ratings among all whites and all people 35+)

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an non issue.

She's 29. Her favourable demographic is <35. Seems set for the future. Unless you magically turn racist and fascist at 35.
Missing the point. The point is the framing and what that says about larger issues in society, not her actual numbers:
QUOTE="ShironRedshift, post: 18908939, member: 283"]This has fuck all to do with the topic. The topic isn't even really about AOC herself to begin with; she and that Twitter post are just being used as an example of a much larger problem of how society sees "white male" as default and everything else as inherently other. That "while male" matters and is elevated to a level other demographics aren't. That's the type of thing that the topic is about; AOC herself is an example, so what you're saying has nothing to do with the actual topic and is completely missing the forest for the trees here.[/QUOTE]

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
despite how misleading this poll is framed something is really starting to bug about poll numbers to begin with.
I could say something flippant about "poll culture", but what it really is is the manipulation of stats via language to sell a narrative, which is why I no longer really believe in "fact-based reporting", unless it's just raw numbers (which is not really reporting, raw numbers is a database, even the structure of the database carries bias).

Rather than changing our expectations to match our new data-driven capabilities, we've assimilated data into our normal punditry landscape.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Far as I'm concerned, majority of this countries voting base are fucking stupid, tend to vote against self interest, and straight up possess malice.

Even Democrats fall for bullshit Fox propaganda and hitpieces, Even the Old Guard Democrats immediately started coming for the New Progressives in the house.....

So far as I'm concerned, her having low favorability means she's real.... Cuz this countries politics is fucked beyond belief. Half the fuckers out here voted for Clown

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the percentage of white women who voted for Trump was actually 47%, compared to 45% for Clinton. That's still a plurality, and still makes white women more Trump-positive than the overall electorate

Sorry, plurality
White women have shifted a bit since then, looking at the midterm stats. 49/49. Hopefully the trend continues and he loses more of their support. White men are very strong Trump supporters, if not more so than 2016.
www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/08/the-2018-midterm-vote-divisions-by-race-gender-education/

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
You are able to understand why someone would want to besmirch her reputation, right? There are many people, even within her own party, that are against the platform she advocates. Someone trying to demonize her is not an outlandish idea, especially considering she's a woman.
I do like her. The reason why I put that disclaimer is just so there's no confusion.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works. She could be down with white women aged 18-24 or black men aged 55+, you can't tell from that tweet since it doesn't break it down further. It groups all women in one group and all 18-34 in one group and so on.

It's exactly like how he says "Americans disapprove of AOC". When you break down the numbers you find the pockets of support. Take a statement like "women support AOC", and break it down into more precise demographics and you get a clearer picture. I doubt you'll find that literally every type of woman supports AOC, and they are not a subset of "white men aged 35+"

True she probably is down with Older White Women who are the other main Demo for Fox news.

But again I was speaking to the framing.

The only one she is #underwater with is older white men.

Because the only groups when they're all mixed together she can't overcome with others, is over 35 and men.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could say something flippant about "poll culture", but what it really is is the manipulation of stats via language to sell a narrative, which is why I no longer really believe in "fact-based reporting", unless it's just raw numbers (which is not really reporting, raw numbers is a database, even the structure of the database carries bias).

Rather than changing our expectations to match our new data-driven capabilities, we've assimilated data into our normal punditry landscape.
Put it better than i ever could.

Good Shit Worth Reading.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
AOC has a positive rating among 18-34 year olds, women, non-whites and college graduates in this poll.

I actually dug further into Gallup polls to compare AOC to other figures and was blown away at what this poll is showing. AOC's numbers among Democrats and Independents are roughly the same as people like Kamala, Booker and Schumer.

But there's one difference. AOC is more unknown among Dems/Independents and more well known among Republicans. And among Republicans she has the worst favorability spread I could possibly find. Even people like Pelosi and Obama had better numbers.

AOC has become the biggest bogeyman the GOP has possibly ever constructed.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
AOC has a positive rating among 18-34 year olds, women, non-whites and college graduates in this poll.

I actually dug further into Gallup polls to compare AOC to other figures and was blown away at what this poll is showing. AOC's numbers among Democrats and Independents are roughly the same as people like Kamala, Booker and Schumer.

But there's one difference. AOC is more unknown among Dems/Independents and more well known among Republicans. And among Republicans she has the worst favorability spread I could possibly find. Even people like Pelosi and Obama had better numbers.

Lmao amazing

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They are running the Hillary-hate playbook on AOC.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but also a little scary. Hillary came into 2016 with tons of baggage built up from her long career in politics, a lot of it coming from the conservative propaganda machine, DNC's mistake was thinking this didn't matter. I'm afraid AOC will be facing the same issues, where conservative news says something enough and people just believe it (Dems and Repubs alike).

Fox News and co are a cancer on this country.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, but also a little scary. Hillary came into 2016 with tons of baggage built up from her long career in politics, a lot of it coming from the conservative propaganda machine, DNC's mistake was thinking this didn't matter. I'm afraid AOC will be facing the same issues, where conservative news says something enough and people just believe it (Dems and Repubs alike).

Fox News and co are a cancer on this country.
Oh it's absolutely not actually amazing. Its super depressing. Just amazing that shes been in office for 2 and a half months and this happened.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, that's why you're now getting stuff like "I don't know but there has to be some reason why"

And further attacks because the left falls for it everytime. Create enough smoke and people will always believe there's a fire. Even if it's just caused by the stank of garbage spout out by liars.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh it's absolutely not actually amazing. Its super depressing. Just amazing that shes been in office for 2 and a half months and this happened.
While it's true the Hillary hate machine had a few decades head start before she ran, she existed in the pre-social media age.

Dunno what's going to happen in the era of twitter/facebook politics. It's why I'm pretty hardcore on the regulating/policing social media stuff.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus they're really afraid of her aren't they. She's 'just' a single junior house rep, but they're trying to tear her down like she's running for President in 2020. Guess they gotta run the Clinton playbook on her early.

I'd laugh at the guy defending his phrasing in the twitter thread if it wasn't so depressing.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the complaints that are going around that I've seen are related to her representing her district. I don't follow her but maybe someone that does can clear them up.
Has AOC got a district office yet? Has she sponsored any bills to help her district specifically?

This is what turned me from supporting her.
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryt...-is-getting-attention-OXB9pDdgS0eQTtFuhtFFbg/

So just so we're clear you turned against her because she didn't endorse another woman in Kansas , even though the candidate she did endorse has policies much closer to what AOC herself believes in.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
So just so we're clear you turned against her because she didn't endorse another woman in Kansas , even though the candidate she did endorse has policies much closer to what AOC herself believes in.
The tactics involved which she participated in were dirty.
On a personal level her support could have contributed to undermining indigenous representation for years and taken away a positive role model and great representative for the area.

Attack the person not the point. Thanks for questioning my motiviation and trying to deflect from the question I asked.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D1y8ktTUkAASV-c.jpg:large

Oh now it makes sense

I hate Cubs fans as much as the next guy, but this is not necessary.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
On a personal level her support could have contributed to undermining indigenous representation for years and taken away a positive role model and great representative for the area.

The tactics... of endorsing someone whose policies most represented hers?

Kronvilt

Oct 28, 2017

Well, if people start disliking her for no particular reason in 10 - 20 years we'll know why.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
My gym always has fox news on, they talk about her at least once every time i'm in there, and i'm only there for about 40 minutes.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Indeed. The demographic break down is far less interesting then the partisan breakdown (and in-fact is likely being driven by it).

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

It's hard to tell if it holds up over time, but while some people will ding her Independent numbers being underwater she actually has better numbers among Independents than people like Booker or Warren. The fact she's managing to hold her ground with such a notoriously fickle base under the relentless smear attack is heartening.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Attack the person not the point. Thanks for questioning my motiviation and trying to deflect from the question I asked.

And AOC is personally responsible? As far as I can tell, she was supporting a Justice Democrat because she herself is a part of the Justice Democrats.

And as for your two original questions: She finally opened a new district office this month (at least I think...I can only find Alt-Right news sources that say she shared it on instagram live but cannot find it anywhere else including her instagram) so take with a mountain of salt. As for the other, I'm not in her district, I'll do research when I'm not at my job.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Conservative media has had effective boogeymen to scapegoat for a long time now, the first black president for 8 years, then Hillary on the tail end of that, but once republicans got complete control of the government back they didn't know what to do, ended up focusing on Nancy Pelosi and that resulted in the biggest democratic wave since the richard nixon era, now theres like 20 democrats running for president and they can't effectively attack all of them so they've decided to just go after AOC, problem is that she's just a member of congress not a presidential candidate, not a house leader, not a senate leader, not even a governor. So i doubt it will be 1/10th as effective as their attacks on Obama/Hillary were.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
The drop is worthy of concern, but she is right in that the absolutes are still in the black.

Problematic, but Jordan's framing is nonetheless horseshit.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope she's president someday.

- a 35 year old white male who hates the demographic he belongs to

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She finally opened a new district office this month (at least I think...I can only find Alt-Right news sources that say she shared it on instagram live but cannot find it anywhere else including her instagram) so take with a mountain of salt. As for the other, I'm not in her district, I'll do research when I'm not at my job.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
And AOC is personally responsible? As far as I can tell, she was supporting a Justice Democrat because she herself is a part of the Justice Democrats.

And as for your two original questions: She finally opened a new district office this month (at least I think...I can only find Alt-Right news sources that say she shared it on instagram live but cannot find it anywhere else including her instagram) so take with a mountain of salt. As for the other, I'm not in her district, I'll do research when I'm not at my job.
I'd thought about giving her a pass on it, but then is that really fair to her. She's not some waif lost in the woods. She made the decision to participate and align herself with it. That comes with benefits and the knocks.