• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Read the article. This group of well known, well funded and well supported individuals brings a carpetbagger into the district. They use all those resources then complain when a minor PAC tries to help Sharice. That was dirty.

I mean one... Welder entered the race in July 2017.... Davids entered in Feb 2018. Just so we're clear that he entered on his own.

Also you're reading of your own article is ppor.

AOC endorsed Welder for his policies.... some random website is then quoted right after talking the shit you're upset about.... So you're issue should be with

"Common Dreams, a non-profit newscenter, has published 365-days a year since 1997."

And not AOC.

The rest you have to also take up with Bernie Sanders... not AOC

Really if this is what turned you against AOC.... I'd say you were probably already against her but wanted something flashy to feel good about it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A kind of internet pile-on? Like a thread backfire on ERA? This is new jargon to me still, though I've used Twitter for a decade now.
It's a pile-on as indicated by the ratio of comments to likes/retweets, hence "ratio" or "getting ratio'd", people taking the time to say "this ain't it chief" instead of passively liking/retweeting.

Lots of likes + a few comments = people agree with you and respond well
Few likes + lots of comments = people are scorning you in public
Yeah, i saw that afterwards. But the "news" articles (read: attack garbage) were saying she was showing off the new office two weeks ago on instagram. (The rest was garbage AOC is the devil so I'm not sharing it)

Linked it mostly cuz it has the right insta address.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pile-on as indicated by the ratio of comments to likes/retweets, hence "ratio" or "getting ratio'd", people taking the time to say "this ain't it chief" instead of passively liking/retweeting.

...ah...that makes more sense...I swear I have eyes....

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

This really is new to me. I hardly ever use Like, perhaps because when I started the semantics were different and the equivalent button was just a convenient private bookmark to a Tweet you liked. As I remarked earlier, if I want to discuss something with somebody on Twitter I use Reply. If I thought they were idiots or not worth bothering with I probably wouldn't reply.

This is why I find it difficult to understand. The presumption seems to be that actually replying to someone's Tweet is almost invariably a poor reflection on that Tweet. Nothing could be further from the truth in my experience.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'd thought about giving her a pass on it, but then is that really fair to her. She's not some waif lost in the woods. She made the decision to participate and align herself with it. That comes with benefits and the knocks.

But of course

Because everyone knows the opposite of not giving her a pass on a single event is:

This is what turned me from supporting her.

There is absolutely nothing in the middle... you absolutely must either not support her because of this one thing... or let her entirely off the hook.

And of course this is all so utterly rational and not at all nonsensical , that you are now here in a thread that is mostly about an example of how White Men are used to Represent America to instead painstakingly argue that AOC ain't shit.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
I mean one... Welder entered the race in July 2017.... Davids entered in Feb 2018. Just so we're clear that he entered on his own.

Also you're reading of your own article is ppor.

AOC endorsed Welder for his policies.... some random website is then quoted right after talking the shit you're upset about.... So you're issue should be with

"Common Dreams, a non-profit newscenter, has published 365-days a year since 1997."

And not AOC.

The rest you have to also take up with Bernie Sanders... not AOC

Really if this is what turned you against AOC.... I'd say you were probably already against her but wanted something flashy to feel good about it.
The carpetbagger status of Welder is something that I learned from Kansans online. When questioned they seem quite certain that is what he was.

If it was just a simple endorsement it wouldn't be an issue. That she went to the state and campaigned with Bernie that is what pushed it. She made that decision on her own and would have been fully informed of the consequences.

And yes, everyone has their reasons for supporting someone or not. That her actions could have undermined indigenous representation for years does distress me and put her in a poor light.
That you're ignoring that this is what is important to me shows that you don't really seem to care or believe that the representation of indigenous people could be important someone.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hillary was much smarter... But I do agree that there's a hit job by FOX news as well. I don't think it's ONLY that though...

So wrong.

Aoc is sooooo much better than Clinton. Even if the right hate her, her base is solid and she's right on policy.

Hillary got pegged as corrupt and it stuck for a reason. She had legitimate baggage on race. Aoc doesn't

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The tactics involved which she participated in were dirty.
On a personal level her support could have contributed to undermining indigenous representation for years and taken away a positive role model and great representative for the area.

Attack the person not the point. Thanks for questioning my motiviation and trying to deflect from the question I asked.

You'll have to substantiate hour claims or you're the one doing a smear campaign. Representation is more than just shallow tokenism. Don't pretend to be anti racist while upholding shallow tokenism while supporting policies that uphold and maintain white supremacy

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is why I find it difficult to understand. The presumption seems to be that actually replying to someone's Tweet is almost invariably a poor reflection on that Tweet. Nothing could be further from the truth in my experience.
That's because you seem to use twitter like a type of chat interface whereas for the majority of people (I assume) and as far as its relevance in popular culture goes, it's a kind of low effort engagement with "personalities". Here's an example of a "good ratio".

10,000 Comments
40,000 Retweets
100,000 Likes

This is the kind of ratio you get when you're a famous celebrity and you just tweeted something that went viral. At that scale, likes far outpaces comments because of the low effort threshold of likes vs comments (a like is emotionally no different from a comment that says "this is great").

Here's a bad ratio:

60,000 comments
20,000 retweets
10,000 likes

If we assume there's 30,000 unique commentators for this tweet, then that's 20,000 people who didn't "like", which is pretty abysmal for a tweet seen by at least 20,000 people. (Not all people who retweet thinks positively of a tweet, sometimes people retweet to their friends to go "look at this fool".)

https://www.newsweek.com/twitter-removing-likes-ratio-meaning-explained-update-2019-1361862

Yeah it's all deep twitter culture stuff that would've escaped you unless you used twitter to follow all your favorite pundits/celebs and not to keep in touch with your friends. It took me some time to figure this stuff out as well.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
You'll have to substantiate hour claims or you're the one doing a smear campaign. Representation is more than just shallow tokenism. Don't pretend to be anti racist while upholding shallow tokenism while supporting policies that uphold and maintain white supremacy
That's been partly addressed in another post related to the unbalance of resources involved and the unfair criticisms of Davids receiving some help from a minor PAC to balance it out.
Sharice Davids has an excellent background and has worked hard for her district since being elected and that speaks for itself. It doesn't require me to type it out.

Almost every time I talk about this I have to bring up that I'm indigenous. What is it about this issue that a person has to be indigenous to support indigenous people without being accused of tokenism?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The carpetbagger status of Welder is something that I learned from Kansans online. When questioned they seem quite certain that is what he was.

If it was just a simple endorsement it wouldn't be an issue. That she went to the state and campaigned with Bernie that is what pushed it. She made that decision on her own and would have been fully informed of the consequences.

And yes, everyone has their reasons for supporting someone or not. That her actions could have undermined indigenous representation for years does distress me and put her in a poor light.
That you're ignoring that this is what is important to me shows that you don't really seem to care or believe that the representation of indigenous people could be important someone.

Tokenism helps white supremacy. It doesn't undermine it.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yeah it's all deep twitter culture stuff that would've escaped you unless you used twitter to follow all your favorite pundits/celebs and not to keep in touch with your friends. It took me some time to figure this stuff out as well.

Actually I do use Twitter exclusively to follow domain experts on topics of interest to me: journalists, scientists, creatives. I think my main issue here is realising that there are millions of people mashing that Like button like idiots. I think I've used it once or twice to acknowledge a reply without dragging a dead conversation out needlessly. "I read and appreciate your reply but have nothing to add" is how I might use it, rarely. Most of the time I don't use it at all, it's still that unused private bookmark button as far as I'm concerned.

If I really like something on Twitter, I'll give it a Twitter retweet or a comment in order to propagate it.

Perhaps I should add that I still use a Twitter client that presents tweets in reverse chronological order. The last time I tried twitter.com it was full of dumb ads and lots of recent tweets were missing. Maybe people who use the current broken system are adapting their Twitter behaviour to fit into this new hellscape. I just fly above it using a client that presents a view substantially identical to the view in Twitter circa 2009.

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's been partly addressed in another post related to the unbalance of resources involved and the unfair criticisms of Davids receiving some help from a minor PAC to balance it out.
Sharice Davids has an excellent background and has worked hard for her district since being elected and that speaks for itself. It doesn't require me to type it out.

You're argument is that criticisms are unfair when it's unclear that they are.

Still waiting on policy. Not tokenism arguments that provide cover for white supremacy.

Worked hard now is irrelevant to what happened in the past. And is an unsupported claim.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

So literally your argument is I no longer support her because she campaigned for someone whose policies most matched hers.... That she demonstrated consistency and dedication to her political stances and policies?

And this is such a mortal sin that rather than, simply criticize her for this decision, you don't support her at all now. To the point of dropping with no commentary that link (I literally had to push you to elaborate.. and which most of your actual concerns have nothing to do with AOC) and making not so subtle implications that she doesn't care about her constituency based on nothing.

And you do this while accusing me of not caring about representation in a thread wherein you are distracting from my framing of this regarding how society frames White Men as the Status Quo... as America... something you've said nothing about.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually I do use Twitter exclusively to follow domain experts on topics of interest to me: journalists, scientists, creatives. I think my main issue here is realising that there are millions of people mashing that Like button like idiots. I think I've used it once or twice to acknowledge a reply without dragging a dead conversation out needlessly. "I read and appreciate your reply but have nothing to add" is how I might use it, rarely. Most of the time I don't use it at all, it's still that unused private bookmark button as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I've felt the presence of a bunch of scholarly twitterspheres that seem to have different rules of engagement than pop culture twitter.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
You're argument is that criticisms are unfair when it's unclear that they are.

Still waiting on policy. Not tokenism arguments that provide cover for white supremacy.

Worked hard now is irrelevant to what happened in the past. And is an unsupported claim.
No, that isn't my point.

My point is that powerful people used their influence and resources to suppress an underrepresented minority. That those that support this think people are just suppose to let it go that these Justice Dems tried to use their privileged position in the most heavy handed way they could to advance their agenda. That these JDs have the arrogance to think they know the interests of the people of the district better than their own citizens and tried with everything they had to sell that lie.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No, that isn't my point.

My point is that powerful people used their influence and resources to suppress an underrepresented minority. That those that support this think people are just suppose to let it go that these Justice Dems tried to use their privileged position in the most heavy handed way they could to advance their agenda. That these JDs have the arrogance to think they know the interests of the people of the district better than their own citizens and tried with everything they had to sell that lie.

AOC's affiliation with the Clown Car that the Justice Dems frequently are is worthy of criticism... but it literally should not be the reason to never support her at all....

Again you promoted a binary that doesn't exist

Support her vs give her a pass... and then you came in with not so unloaded questions about her work in her constituency based on "what you heard"

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, that isn't my point.

Justice Democrats? Privileged position? Wtf are you talking about?

If you don't understand how the dnc uses tokenism to maintain the white supremacist status quo then that is an education gap in your part.

So far you have provided nothing of substance except promoting said tokenism.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
AOC's affiliation with the Clown Car that the Justice Dems frequently are is worthy of criticism... but it literally should not be the reason to never support her at all....

Again you promoted a binary that doesn't exist

Support her vs give her a pass... and then you came in with not so unloaded questions about her work in her constituency based on "what you heard"

If there is something specific to criticize about JD then criticize it. Saying you don't support aoc because she's part of a group of Democrats that want to eliminate corporate influence in the Democratic party is EXACTLY the type of thing that promotes the white supremacist status quo. It's hilariously transparent.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
So literally your argument is I no longer support her because she campaigned for someone whose policies most matched hers.... That she demonstrated consistency and dedication to her political stances and policies?

And this is such a mortal sin that rather than, simply criticize her for this decision, you don't support her at all now. To the point of dropping with no commentary that link (I literally had to push you to elaborate.. and which most of your actual concerns have nothing to do with AOC) and making not so subtle implications that she doesn't care about her constituency based on nothing.

And you do this while accusing me of not caring about representation in a thread wherein you are distracting from my framing of this regarding how society frames White Men as the Status Quo... as America... something you've said nothing about.
It seemed self-evident that white guy status quo is what Welder is. Just more of the same political representation that's been going on. That's what and who AOC campaigned for in KS3.

AOC associates with the Justice Dems and that makes her just as culpable for their actions when she is directly involved with their work. Downplaying her association when it reflects poorly on her doesn't do her credit.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It seemed self-evident that white guy status quo is what Welder is. Just more of the same political representation that's been going on. That's what and who AOC campaigned for in KS3.

AOC associates with the Justice Dems and that makes her just as culpable for their actions when she is directly involved with their work. Downplaying her association when it reflects poorly on her doesn't do her credit.

It doesn't seem self-evident at all.... Welder's policies and political beliefs were not status quo. His policies and stances are not same political representation. AOC and Welder campaigned for 15$ minimum wage and Medicare for All... that's not status quo. I'm sorry you can't divorce policy entirely from what defines as "status-quo"

And I said criticize her for being Justice Dem affiliated of you want

What I don't buy is that you're only options are give her a pass or not support her at all.... to which you still have not really backed up. To which I go back to my belief that I don't really buy that were it not for this you'd be supporting her....

I'd also note you still have yet to comment on the topic of this thread and are still trying to make this out to be actually AOC is bad... based on overall very little.... and you still haven't really explained why you came into to insinuate she's failing her local constituency

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They will not stop trying to destroy her. And the reality is they only make her more important/stronger. Keep your head up AOC. You got what it takes.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
It doesn't seem self-evident at all.... Welder's policies and political beliefs were not status quo. His policies and stances are not same political representation. AOC and Welder campaigned for 15$ minimum wage and Medicare for All... that's not status quo.

And I said criticize her for being Justice Dem affiliated of you want

What I don't buy is that you're only options are give her a pass or not support her at all.... to which you still have not really backed up. To which I go back to my belief that I don't really buy that were it not for this you'd be supporting her....

I'd also note you still have yet to comment on the topic of this thread and are still trying to make this out to be actually AOC is bad... based on overall very little.... and you still haven't really explained why you came into to insinuate she's failing her local constituency
That papa white guy Welder is the guy that can uplift the people is the status quo message that I got from her support. It's not that he brought anything new. These policy positions and representation were out there already and not historic. Not like the first Native American woman elected to Congress.

I do still have some support for her. She's bringing attention and discussion to many important political matters.
But my support isn't unconditional, unquestioning or without skepticism.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
That's because you seem to use twitter like a type of chat interface whereas for the majority of people (I assume) and as far as its relevance in popular culture goes, it's a kind of low effort engagement with "personalities". Here's an example of a "good ratio".

10,000 Comments
40,000 Retweets
100,000 Likes

This is the kind of ratio you get when you're a famous celebrity and you just tweeted something that went viral. At that scale, likes far outpaces comments because of the low effort threshold of likes vs comments (a like is emotionally no different from a comment that says "this is great").

Here's a bad ratio:

60,000 comments
20,000 retweets
10,000 likes

If we assume there's 30,000 unique commentators for this tweet, then that's 20,000 people who didn't "like", which is pretty abysmal for a tweet seen by at least 20,000 people. (Not all people who retweet thinks positively of a tweet, sometimes people retweet to their friends to go "look at this fool".)

https://www.newsweek.com/twitter-removing-likes-ratio-meaning-explained-update-2019-1361862

Damn, that's science.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That papa white guy Welder is the guy that can uplift the people is the status quo message that I got from her support. It's not that he brought anything new. These policy positions and representation were out there already and not historic. Not like the first Native American woman elected to Congress.

I do still have some support for her. She's bringing attention and discussion to many important political matters.

Ok I'm completely confused. The basis of your unsupport of AOC is that she associates herself with Justice Democrats and Justice Democrats ran a white man against a Native American woman which was inherently racist and for a white status quo. Is that right? I want to know before I continue.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Ok I'm completely confused. The basis of your unsupport of AOC is that she associates herself with Justice Democrats and Justice Democrats ran a white man against a Native American woman which was inherently racist and for a white status quo. Is that right? I want to know before I continue.
I don't blame you for being confused. There's questions coming from different angles.

It was how it was ran by the Justice Democrats.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That papa white guy Welder is the guy that can uplift the people is the status quo message that I got from her support. It's not that he brought anything new. These policy postions and representation that was out there already and not historic. Not like the first Native American woman elected to Congress.

Look I get it... I'm trans, I get it, this stuff matters... but if someone is running against a trans person who has overall policies that more align with mine I'm supporting that person...

You're quite frankly essentially arguing that policies don't matter and inventing a strange definition of status quo to justify it.

No one asked for unconditional but we are now 2 hours into the conversation and it took you this long.... and you started it by casting doubts she's done anything for her constituents based on "things you heard" and really haven't made a single comment on what my topic is actually about. Other than to use my title to try to make an entirely different point.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Man, seeing her favorables dropping is pretty depressing even if she still has a net positive for the most part. The right wing outrage machine went into full mobilization against HRC when she went all in on national healthcare for children and they eventually wore her down with the constant stream of bullshit. I thought it would be different with AOC, but it absolutely looks like it's working.
I wouldn't be too worried about it. She has plenty of time to grow more popular while those who hate her don't. And unlike Hilary, she's staying true to herself so she won't be seen as a sell out by the left. I won't be surprised if the polls go in her favor in a few decades.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Look I get it... I'm trans, I get it, this stuff matters... but if someone is running against a trans person who has overall policies that more align with mine I'm supporting that person...

You're quite frankly essentially arguing that policies don't matter and inventing a strange definition of status quo to justify it.

No one asked for unconditional but we are now 2 hours into the conversation and it took you this long.... and you started it by casting doubts she's done anything for her constituents based on "things you heard" and really haven't made a single comment on what my topic is actually about. Other than to use my title to try to make an entirely different point.
What she's doing for her constituents is an important consideration. Someone said they're going to look into it but it's surprising that there wasn't a quick response showing the legislative work she's done for them. She's got an office coming and that's cool. I'm not expecting the Moon as her term just started but whatever work she's done for her constituents is something to note.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
AOC has a positive rating among 18-34 year olds, women, non-whites and college graduates in this poll.

I actually dug further into Gallup polls to compare AOC to other figures and was blown away at what this poll is showing. AOC's numbers among Democrats and Independents are roughly the same as people like Kamala, Booker and Schumer.

But there's one difference. AOC is more unknown among Dems/Independents and more well known among Republicans. And among Republicans she has the worst favorability spread I could possibly find. Even people like Pelosi and Obama had better numbers.

AOC has become the biggest bogeyman the GOP has possibly ever constructed.
This explains it even better. Conservatives already have a headstart in knowing her. When more leftists learn about her, her numbers will improve.

Nov 23, 2017

Some crazy goal post moving, what does this have to do in any way with your original post about her representing her district in New York City?

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What she's doing for her constituents is an important consideration. Someone said they're going to look into it but it's surprising that there wasn't a quick response showing the legislative work she's done for them. She's got an office coming and that's cool. I'm not expecting the Moon as her term just started but whatever work she's done for her constituents is something to note.

I mean she spoke out on behalf of the progressive Jewish community in her constituency when they raised concerns initially about Omar's Benjamin's tweet... for one.

These are her constituents.

These are her constituents

15$ minimum wage would benefit her constituents
Green New Deal will benefit her constituents
"
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the new Congressperson from New York City who has joined Bernie Sanders as the most famous socialist in the U.S., stood against the rest of the Democratic Party and voted against two symbolic billsto end the shutdown because they provided funds to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and border security.

"We're hearing back a lot from our local community, and they're uncomfortable with any vote on funding for ICE," she told the New York Post.

Ocasio-Cortez's vote came three weeks after she joined every other Democrat in voting for similar legislation on the day that Democrats took over control of the House of Representatives.

That vote was a troubling sign of how pressure to be a loyal Democrat and stay united against Trump could undermine Ocasio-Cortez's commitment to fighting to abolish ICE, one of the cornerstones of her electrifying primary campaign last year.

But her reversal this week indicates the other side of the dynamic: Ocasio-Cortez's recognition that her new national platform to project left politics rests on support among this country's new socialist movement and among her district's diverse and immigrant-heavy constituency.

Her decision to reverse her vote after hearing from immigrant justice advocates in her district is a heartening sign — and more importantly, a signal for socialists and immigrant justice activists to raise our sights about what's possible when it comes to pressuring officeholders.

We shouldn't overstate the importance of one vote against funding ICE, but Ocasio-Cortez has taken a courageous stand. That's all the more important amid new revelations of thousands more family separations than the government has reported — which nevertheless had no seeming impact on the votes of Ocasio-Cortez's fellow Democratic House members, even those who profess to be left wing.

https://socialistworker.org/2019/01/25/aocs-vote-against-ice-a-view-from-queens

Voting against funding ICE protects some of her most vulnerable constituents

You also have google of course

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Really nice that the thread about a checkmarked analyst nonchalantly throwing away minorities and women and milennials was derailed into harping on AOC for minor nothingness

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, not really, and what little grasp you have left is slipping.

And I say this as a an old white male that's stayed off the AOC hype train. I can only hope her, or someone like her, is regarded as the "American Representative" in the near future. Because it's certainly better than the shit we have now.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
I mean she spoke out on behalf of the progressive Jewish community in her constituency when they raised concerns initially about Omar's Benjamin's tweet... for one.

These are her constituents.

These are her constituents

15$ minimum wage would benefit her constituents
Green New Deal will benefit her constituents

https://socialistworker.org/2019/01/25/aocs-vote-against-ice-a-view-from-queens

Voting against funding ICE protects some of her most vulnerable constituents

You also have google of course

That's speaking out for them, yes.
Wage, ICE control and Green New Deal in general will help too.
It was bills specifically for the district that was my original question.

To keep with Davids, another new comer, to compare with in this conversation. Here's a bill for her district she introduced that was passed:

Davids has also spoken out for and supported bills that help her constituents in general.
If you take a quick scroll through Davids twitter you'll see that she is working hard for her constituents. It's difficult to believe that Welder would have represented to the same degree or made the same impact in the community and state. That AOC thought Welder would be better for the district based on shared national ideology appears to be a big mistake. A mistake that others have noted. If Davids wasn't the only one she campaigned against in this manner and for the same reasons it may be a contributing factor to her declining popularity.
I don't follow AOC but a quick look isn't showing as much involvement directly with her constituency either.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That's speaking out for them, yes.
Wage, ICE control and Green New Deal in general will help too.
It was bills specifically for the district that was my original question.

To keep with Davids, another new comer, to compare with in this conversation. Here's a bill for her district she introduced that was passed:

Davids has also spoken out for and supported bills that help her constituents in general.
If you take a quick scroll through Davids twitter you'll see that she is working hard for her constituents. It's difficult to believe that Welder would have represented to the same degree or made the same impact in the community and state. That AOC thought Welder would be better for the district based on shared national ideology appears to be a big mistake. A mistake that others have noted. If Davids wasn't the only one she campaigned against in this manner and for the same reasons it may be a contributing factor to her declining popularity.
I don't follow AOC but a quick look isn't showing as much involvement directly with her constituency either.

So really when you asked for proof.... you meant don't waste your time because I'm just going to dismiss it anyway and continue to derail your thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Does it fucking matter? She's gonna be repping my district for a very long time. I'm going to continue to vote for her. She's definitely going to be a senator some day.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of like her, but let's not kid ourselves. She isn't particularly great at everything she does. She often jumps to conclusions, has unrealistic proposals, and isn't necessarily forward thinking. There's plenty to criticize her about (just like any politician).

This is the most blatant off topic "Ackshually" Ive seen all month.

Man, seeing her favorables dropping is pretty depressing even if she still has a net positive for the most part. The right wing outrage machine went into full mobilization against HRC when she went all in on national healthcare for children and they eventually wore her down with the constant stream of bullshit. I thought it would be different with AOC, but it absolutely looks like it's working.

Some people have been convinced that it can't happen to her. The naivete is real. "Hillary was different though, that can't happen to AOC!". Younger voters who didn't get to SEE Hillary in real time over those decades WILL get to see it happen to AOC.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
AOC literally enthusiastically praised and congratulated Sharice the day she won the primary.

This is ridiculous.

What AOC has Done So Far
OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What?
Bills specifically addressing the district was one my original questions. Those tweets are words of support not bills and the things you mentioned are general not specific to only the district.

So you're measurement of if she truly cares about her local voters is did she introduce a bill for her constituents in the first 3 months .... and nothing else.

https://www.congress.gov/member/alexandria-ocasio-cortez/O000172?q={"sponsorship":"cosponsored"}

She's co-sponsored 110 bills ranging from abortion rights to other health care, to education, to exploring legalization of mairjuana, to right to sick pay, to the Never Forget the Heroes: Permanent Authorization of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Act (you know people in her constituency), to workplace violence, To redesignate the Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area as the Maurice D. Hinchey Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area, and for other purposes, To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 40 Fulton Street in Middletown, New York, as the "Benjamin A. Gilman Post Office Building". the last two along with another NY member of congress.... and so forth and so forth....

She after speaking to her local constituents altered her vote on a pretty big bill... that no other Dem voted against... because she was asked by her constituency, that's a vote for them... but you dismissed it.

She sponsored the New Green Deal

All this you could have found yourself instead of derailing my thread and refusing to actually participate in its main thesis other than to use my wording as a tool against AOC

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are white men so fucking scared of everything? You would expect a bigger spines from people who rule the world but I guess not.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
its still shit framing to claim "America" based on a -10 net when she's a congreswoman from 1 of the 50 states.

'some americans on the fence.' vs 'Americans side eye this person. yes all.'

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean in my defense I was in the middle of work and am still in the middle of working on a huge project.