• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018

hiro42

Apr 2, 2018
This is so fucked up. White savior indeed. I believe the settlement is only for the two families that sued.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
White Christians going to a third world country and treating it like their own personal playground you say ?

Oh look ,shes been let off the hook due to essentially being rich.....

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She needs to be repeatedly punched in her head. Fuck this vile disgusting piece of shit

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Death penalty was the only appropriate answer to her heinous crimes, so this is yet another piece of maddening news going around in the world right now.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1*qGvP8dNMbLuS_99sgtLD9g.jpeg

The final boss

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
While that probably has a lot more buying power than $9500 in the states, this is not nearly enough.
Fuck this woman. At the very least stop her from ever going to countries where she could do damage like this. Which still wouldn't be enough, of course. But this woman has proven to be dangerous and should be treated as such.

Also:
Death penalty was the only appropriate answer to her heinous crimes
No. What's happening with people craving the death penalty so much? Damn.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gross. If that's the only punishment of a legal sense she is going to get she needs to be shamed and ostracized forever wherever she goes. Before the bump someone posted a gif of dany being hoised and said "she saw this and said "goals". I would really like to see her in the real world equivalent of Cersei's walk of shame, but for the rest of her life, nonstop.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
A monetary penalty is fucking awful. Should've been a lot more shit on top of it. Being locked up being one of them.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
This has ben endemic for decades - hell centuries, if you count colonial times - in regards to medical charities operating in severely underserved regions. It's hard enough for medical professionals. Oftentimes you're forced to operate in a very limited fashion due to a lack of resources, knowing on the one hand that you can't provide care at a level you're used to, while on the other hand that you might be the only care the patient gets and that not providing any care at all can easily lead to certain death.

Those who are suited for that kind of work manage to balance improvisation with restraint and provide the highest quality care possible. Many others burn out from the pressure and return home. Some end up going through the looking glass and turn into cowboy physicians, reasoning that they can do just about whatever they want since it's all going to shit anyway. Suffice to say, the last category are dangerous.

I friend of mine went to Uganda as a medical student for her master's degree as part of a project studying pregnancies in rural teens. She worked at a medical station along with local nurses out in the bush. On day 1, she got asked by the nurses to do an emergency C-section. She didn't have a medical license. She'd never so much as observed a C-section since our OB/GYN course was the following semester. She wisely declined. The nurses did it themselves - as they usually did, having been trained in the procedure - but had asked my friend since they figured she was closer to being a doctor than they were.

My point with that anecdote is that some other medical student might actually have said yes in that scenario. Either out of arrogance, naivety or by feeling pressured. So it's no surprise whatsoever that completely untrained teens like the one in the OP can en up going through the looking glass even easier. It's good that she's facing legal consequences for this and I hope her story is spread as an object lesson. Volunteers need to understand that they're not heading out in the wild west and that they need to be able to set boundaries for what is ethical. Both for the sake of those they're helping and for their own sake.