• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Leaving aside any Nintendo-owned IPs or Dragon Ball games, I've been thinking about this question and find that no other cast fits the bill like Final Fantasy VII's:

Final-Fantasy-VII.jpg

If the decades of cosplays, fan-art and merchandising weren't already a strong indicator, the Remake itself pretty much cements it: I can't think of any other game where a major studio would even consider the massive investment in making a multi-part, multi-console adaptation akin to Lord of the Rings.

It's a huge gamble, but also a safer-than-average one. The massive media and critical reception is proof enough of the legacy of Cloud and friends (and enemies). Just look at the crowd reception over a single character's unveiling:

Even people who never played FFVII (including the above streamer) recognizes these characters and shows considerable interest. I really do think the FFVII crew is the closest thing to something like Overwatch when it comes to character awareness/popularity on a global scale.

The only other contender I can think of is Street Fighter:

b94f664162a5a4939f43c1e9cee2d940.jpg

And even then it's pretty much limited to the OG cast of Street Fighter II, with Cammy and Akuma being the only additions from The New Challengers to reach the same level of popularity as the World Warriors.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thing is, I really can't tell at this point if Sonic is still largely beloved in a non-ironic sense, or loved as a meme/fetish-fueled "so bad it's good" kind of way.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Popular internationally or within Japan? If it's the former, maybe Ryu from Street Fighter. Within Japan, maybe DQ Slime?

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
#1 is probably Sonic, followed by Cloud or Ryu.

Edit: How could I forget Hello Kitty? Did the anime come first or the merchandise?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Hello Kitty and Godzilla are way, way above any Japanese character except (possibly) Mario.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
yeah outside of square and capcom characters like others have said it'd be sonic, pac-man and the like

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Besides Cloud, Aeris, Tifa and Sephiroth, the other characters in the game are not that famous, and even then there are still more famous characters from Japan both on VideoGames and not anime things

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Pac-Man is probably the #1 non-Nintendo video game character (Japanese or otherwise). Probably just under Mario and above all others.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight I probably should have also added "Not a mascot character".

But then that would have likely led to lots of back-and-forth over what qualifies as a mascot.

Cloud will never not be the face of Final Fantasy, for instance.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sonic and Pac-Man. No one outside of gaming community know anyone from FF7, unlike these two.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I can still buy Sonic the Hedgehog Ice cream bars in ice cream trucks. Can't say the same about most other characters posted here.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan, maybe.

Anywhere else, probably not. Same with One Piece, which is probably bigger than Dragon Ball in Japan but can barely get noticed in the West.

You mean US. I mean I would put Dragon Ball over it in Europe too but it's pretty popular here. At least just as popular as others non Dragon Ball manga/anime properties.

Last edited:

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely Hello Kitty or Godzilla. Gaming wise most iconic is probably Pac-Man or the Space Invader. Maybe Sonic.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic and Hello Kitty are a-listers worldwide, Godzilla has his peaks, Pac-Man is fading slowly but surely but I'd wager most people could draw him

Cloud is pretty close after

Even Gudetama is more well known than Mega Man though, let's be real

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean US. I mean I would put Dragon Ball over it in Europe too but it's pretty popular here. As least just as popular as others non Dragon Ball manga/anime properties.

It really boggles the mind why One Piece can't reach the same level of recognition in America like it does everywhere else.