• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Chappelle vowed to be hitting pause on jokes about the LGBTQ+ community until he and the LGBTQ+ community could both be laughing together again. "I'm telling you: It's done. I'm done talking about it," he concluded.

But on Monday night, Chappelle laughed as he acknowledged his promise to stop with that kind of material, but with the new caveat that he'd only do so if the set was being recorded, earlier pointing out that everyone in the 20,000-person arena had their cellphones locked away in Yondr pouches.

After the screening of his heartwarming documentary, it took Chappelle only a few seconds to launch headfirst into his recent troubles. "Week four of being cancelled, it's crazy," he began, launching into a tale about how he had to take out an order of protection against a racist neighbor who had turned up at his house a few months ago.

He described that his wife had gifted him a pearl-handled .22 caliber pistol, joking that the last thing someone would say to him before he had to use the weapon would be "f----t." And if Chappelle did end up going to jail for murder, to escape the roughness of prison he said he would simply claim to identify as a woman.

Chappelle continued with his bit, explaining that after getting the order of protection against his neighbor, he offered to pay for his rehab or therapy, because clearly the man was not mentally well.

He said the payment would have to be kept a secret, otherwise other people with no health insurance would come knocking on his door looking for medical help, adding that trans people would be among those asking him to pay for their surgeries.

Chappelle went on to boast that he's glad he wasn't technically cancelled, saying he was lucky that he had been surrounded by a circle of friends, later bringing out comedian Jon Stewart, as well as musicians Fat Joe, Busta Rhymes, and Rakim.

He also made a series of pronoun jokes. When introducing the musician H.E.R., he quipped, "It's a pronoun you don't hear much!" Later on when riffing with Stewart, Chappelle mentioned that he'd form a transgender tribute band named "They."

Stewart, who had just professed Chappelle's graciousness and blasted people who wanted to make money off conflict, seemed to shrug the jokes off, adding "Can't stop, won't stop," toward Chappelle's line of jokes.

Fuck Jon Stewart too

www.thedailybeast.com

Dave Chappelle Is Back to Making Transphobic Jokes

The comedian made a series of transphobic jokes at Madison Square Garden on Monday, a month after he faced backlash for his anti-trans jokes in Netflix special “The Closer.”

Article is paywalled

Apologies

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
But on Monday night, Chappelle laughed as he acknowledged his promise to stop with that kind of material, but with the new caveat that he'd only do so if the set was being recorded, earlier pointing out that everyone in the 20,000-person arena had their cellphones locked away in Yondr pouches.

After the screening of his heartwarming documentary, it took Chappelle only a few seconds to launch headfirst into his recent troubles. "Week four of being cancelled, it's crazy," he began, launching into a tale about how he had to take out an order of protection against a racist neighbor who had turned up at his house a few months ago.

"Week four of being cancelled, it's crazy,"

everyone in the 20,000-person arena

Mmmmhmmm

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
"If anyone says trans people are angry at me, they are wrong," he asserted before continuing his trans jokes.

Oct 26, 2017
This guy is one of the biggest fucking man babies out there. Did you see he got un-invited from some event at his alma mater high school, then whined that he didn't even want to go? His ego is massive.

He made further light of the situation by saying his high school disinvited him from a planned fundraiser, lamenting that he "can't even raise money for children."

"They're canceling stuff I didn't even want to do."

"If you think you're mad at me — remember, I didn't disinvite you from anything.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Y'know, for all the outrage over cancel culture, JK still lives in a literal castle and Dave keeps getting gigs, so I'm not quite sure where the downside is...

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Hell, I'm CIS white guy and I feel so demoralized reading stuff like this. Its a punch to the gut.

Can't imagine what its like as a trans person. I know Dave is going to be on the wrong side of history but man, does it suck to see people like this in the here and now take a victory lap over how horrible they are to people.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys like Chappelle will never change and will never step back long enough to self reflect. As long as they are making money they don't care who they hurt along the way.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
So, in all fairness, maybe this is in fact retroactive sour grapes, but am I alone in feeling that John Stewart has honestly always been a distinctly unfunny centrist shitheel? Like, he was embraced not because of his wit or insight but because he was the least worst option in current popular media?

Oct 26, 2017
Wait----Stewart was up on stage with him? What the fuck? I thought the Stewart digs were in regards to his previous comments about Dave being a good guy.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Damn, and I thought he had been canceled. /s

I hate this piece of trash so much and that's pretty much all I'll say because I don't feel like getting my account nuked over this asshole.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, I'm CIS white guy and I feel so demoralized reading stuff like this. Its a punch to the gut.

Can't imagine what its like as a trans person. I know Dave is going to be on the wrong side of history but man, does it suck to see people like this in the here and now take a victory lap over how horrible they are to people.
If there was infinite time where we could wait them out it'd be one thing... The reality is a lot of trans people will not see it. The worst is simply Dave is not ignorant... He knows what he's doing, he knows the pain he's causing. It's just cruel.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I see the show "The Problem with Jon Stewart" was fairly descriptive in its title. I wonder if they'll figure out what the problem is, and if they need any help pointing out the obvious.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
you would think even the most ardent Chapelle fans would be sick of this by now it's just the same joke over and over

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a piece of shit. And Jon Stewart is officially on the "list of assholes I will have nothing to do with ever again" for me too.

The fact is, Chapelle is a bully with a small mind and a gigantic man-baby ego. He was always like this too, it was just harder to see early on because he kinda kept a lid on it; he was always misogynistic and anti-LGBT though.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
He's just such a bad person.

Edit: off base, my bad

Last edited:

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Jon Stewart has always had an issue with trans jokes, it just used to be way more socially acceptable to say. Wonderful to see he hasn't progressed a bit since then. Fuck him and Dave

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"Place your heroes tender necks upon the altar of a better tomorrow"

Really disappointed in Jon Stewart. Chappelle is a piece of shit TERF. Wasn't expecting to find out the Stewart is fucking enabler when I opened this thread.

Jon Stewart has always had an issue with trans jokes, it just used to be way more socially acceptable to say. Wonderful to see he hasn't progressed a bit since then. Fuck him and Dave

Did not know this about him. Why do so many of these supposedly progressive people turn into hateful shits when it comes to the Transgender community?

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
It hurts to have people you used to admire take such delight in degrading and dehumanizing you. But it is what it is. Hype hurts consumers. Hero worship hurts an audience. But I just want it to be okay to be me without having so many people treat me like a joke or a liar or a predator or a pervert. I didn't choose to be this way. They are choosing to spread hate, though.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
God fucking damn it, Jon. Are you serious???

As for Chappelle, the "fuck you" goes without saying at this point, but it bears repeating anyway. What a disgusting low-life the guy is.

Mentosrock

Nov 4, 2019
But Jon Stewart said Dave Chappelle had a good heart. the nicest guy. All of these old ass comedians are terrible. I bet behind the scenes they're all still patting Louis CK on the back too saying there, there poor baby. Just gross.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
No one is immune from evolving into their generation's equivalent of a boomer.

You'd think we'd have learned by now to try and reflect as we age and ask ourselves "is it really society that has lost its way or am I just becoming out of touch like my parents and grandparents did?"

But no… people just become the ignorant dinosaurs they always swore they would never become. Jon Stewart is at that transition point it seems.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
It also sucks that he's been telling the same tired jokes for like 4 shows now.

I'm just waiting for him to dust off some variant of "I identify as an attack helicopter".

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The netflix president looks more and more like clown shoes

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He said the payment would have to be kept a secret, otherwise other people with no health insurance would come knocking on his door looking for medical help, adding that trans people would be among those asking him to pay for their surgeries.
What rich humor... truly gracious

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
neil-patrick-harris-sad.gif

It's still a looong fucking road.