• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
No one is immune from evolving into their generation's equivalent of a boomer.

You'd think we'd have learned by now to try and reflect as we age and ask ourselves "is it really society that has lost its way or am I just becoming out of touch like my parents and grandparents did?"

But no… people just become the ignorant dinosaurs they always swore they would never become. Jon Stewart is at that transition point it seems.
I dont think its ignorance, I think its just hatred to put it simply. Some of the victims of their jokes were seen as fair game not that long ago, and now when more and more people are realizing that shit aint right anymore they cant accept that. Part of it probably has do to with the fame and fortune they got through the years making them feel emboldened to continue to make these hurtful "jokes".

Idk how you can continue to make marginalized people the targets of your hot takes knowing full well they are victims of real world violence just because of who they are and you continue to contribute to that. Its sick.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Chappelle mentioned that he'd form a transgender tribute band named "They." Chappelle really don't give a fuck.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I see the show "The Problem with Jon Stewart" was fairly descriptive in its title. I wonder if they'll figure out what the problem is, and if they need any help pointing out the obvious.

I have an acquaintance who works for Stewart's show/podcast. I should ask her how she feels about this. She was always very verbally liberal.

Nov 8, 2017
Being canceled does work, the problem is those claiming to be 'canceled' are never really canceled. They still have their platforms.

The bigger you are and the more money you make for people the more difficult it is for meaningful consequences to happen.

If you're just some schmoe who works a random job it's comparatively much more straight forward for your boss to turf you if you're going to be causing bad PR.

Truly "cancelling" JK Rowling for example means that the people who do business with her have to give up potentially very large sums of money, so they simply choose not to and hope the heat doesn't make it as far as them.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why am I not surprised that Jon Stewart doesn't have a problem with trans jokes. Hmm...

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those are just such lazy fucking "jokes". What the fuck happened to this mother fucker?

And what the fuck are you doing, Stewart? I don't know how to view this other than full on support of the shit Chappelle is saying.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
He's just such a bad person.

Dave Chappelle is to transfolk as racist whites are to black folk

Dave is absolutely a shithead but he's not lynching anybody or denying voting rights,

just to keep it in perspective. There's way too much baggage in that latter part of the statement. I get what you were trying to say though

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Sigh - Goddamn. I can't believe Chapelle has fallen so far. And then the comments on health insurance to solidify his slide to the right wing. Fucking total disappointment.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
He's just such a bad person.

Dave Chappelle is to transfolk as racist whites are to black folk
Yeah, can we not do slippery analogies like this between the experiences of two different marginalized communities? Even if there are (broad) overlaps here or there, the territory is way too fraught with fallacy and possible offense trying to compare any other human experience with that of black folks over the past half-millennium. In terms of scale alone, it's absolutely singular country.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Chapelle's a piece of shit (as always lately) here but he's clearly being ironic with his talk of being cancelled. He's trying to rile people up and change the narrative.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Those comedians, man... they're covering each other's back, all of them. Yes, even the most non-offensive ones like Conan. It's time to stop putting comedians on a pedestal, stop treating them like 'prophet(s) of our generation'.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dave is absolutely a shithead but he's not lynching anybody or denying voting rights,

just to keep it in perspective. There's way too much baggage in that latter part of the statement. I get what you were trying to say though

As a Trans person and Black person.... You don't know how white supremacy works.

Yeah, can we not do slippery analogies like this between the experiences of two different marginalized communities? Even if there are (broad) overlaps here or there, the territory is way too fraught with fallacy and possible offense trying to compare any other human experience with that of black folks over the past half-millennium. In terms of scale alone, it's absolutely singular country.

Totally fair and I apologize.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
Jon Stewart has been terrible ever since he congratulated Mitch McConnell on the 9/11 firefighters bill while lambasting Democrats who have always voted for these bills for doijg nothing.

He's also sucked since his dumb Rally to Restore Sanity rally was both sides bullcrap. You should have been calling him out years ago for being awful. You all are years late to the party.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Accidental post. Can't stop stepping in it in this one haha

Sad about Stewart the more I'm reading here. Had no idea about some of it.

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry, Busta Rhymes and Fat Joe? Did I hit my head and wake up in 2001?

Chapelle used to be one of my top 5 favourite comedians. This is so disappointing that somebody who was so talented has to stoop to such lazy, mean, damaging comments (I'm not calling that cheap crap "jokes"). Go home you rich, out-of-touch dickhead. There are plenty of other comics who aren't bigots and deserve a shot at the space you are wasting.

Last edited:

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Stewart and Colbert did a disservice by making the conservatives funny when they were doing horrible things.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I would have hoped Jon Stewart would have more decency.

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to him....

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So, in all fairness, maybe this is in fact retroactive sour grapes, but am I alone in feeling that John Stewart has honestly always been a distinctly unfunny centrist shitheel? Like, he was embraced not because of his wit or insight but because he was the least worst option in current popular media?
I mean a lot of his stuff in the past was about both sides arguments. That is a major red flag, especially today.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man as a guy who religiously watched his nightly shows decade ago, I thought I'd never in a million year would say this.. FUCK JON STEWART... Initially I thought his earlier defense of Chapelle was misguided defense of fellow comedian. Wrong but maybe he just put his foot in this mouth. NOPE... this is intentional... Fuck u Jon... Never meet ur heroes.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
So, in all fairness, maybe this is in fact retroactive sour grapes, but am I alone in feeling that John Stewart has honestly always been a distinctly unfunny centrist shitheel? Like, he was embraced not because of his wit or insight but because he was the least worst option in current popular media?

Hmm.... yes and no? People who loved him (like me) certainly didn't view him as "the least worst option," but in retrospect, the comparison to mainstream media was quite flattering to him.

He's a genuine talent, though. Charismatic, empathetic, funny, intelligent, could be a fun interviewer. Would he have been as beloved if he came up in the current environment? Probably not. It's sort of like comparing athletes across different eras.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
The rich and powerful will always defend the rich and powerful. They're all fucking buddies who don't give any shit about the real people if they gotta call out their friends.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
One would think there are plenty of other things to "joke" about in this fucked up timeline.

But nope, let's just continue kicking down.

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair he never stopped. Plus he keeps on flip-flopping on who hates him and why:
During this show, Chappelle also claimed that trans people aren't really mad at him over The Closer. "If anyone says trans people are angry at me, they are wrong," he asserted before continuing his trans jokes.

Whereas last week in Des Moines, Iowa, he told his live audience, "Boy, I went too far with The Closer. The trans always get mad, but this time I did it."

Guess he's all into the punch down and play the victim card of the grifter circuit.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
People like Dave are the reason I stayed in the closet for these many years
Jon was even one of those same people normalizing transphobia back in the day!

It's really frustrating having finally come out in my late 20s knowing how early in my life the signs and exploration was clearly there. I used to hide in my childhood, not understanding what it meant to be trans while only seeing perverted shit in media from Ace Ventura to South Park, hell Maury & Springer were routinely showcasing trans women as traps weekly. Delayed so much of my life because of these assholes who are still pushing the same hateful garbage.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Dave Chappelle can fuck off and so can Jon Stewart and those others. I actually didn't know Stewart was such a piece of shit. That's really disappointing, but he can fuck off.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, for all the outrage over cancel culture, JK still lives in a literal castle and Dave keeps getting gigs, so I'm not quite sure where the downside is...

Few folks are worse then Chappelle since he will continue to get gigs and be quote in every argument going forward. We went through this with South Park dozens of times, but his "comedy" will become the basis for more "normalized" arguments going forward.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Jon Stewart just made my fuck off list.
Man, fuck Jon Stewart.
Jon should have stayed retired.

So disappointed.
Jon Stewart just made my fuck off list.
How is Jon Stewart just now hitting people's shit lists? I mean, were people ok with him leading a massive rally with the intent of 'both sides'ing every major issue? Really?
Same-sex marriage...both sides have valid positions!
The Tea Party?....sure, they're a bit wild, but have you seen the crazies on the left?!
Attempts to rip down the ACA?....we should listen to what they have to say!

And somehow, after all that, people were still ok with Stewart?

Yeah, been saying fuck Jon Stewart for over 10 years...

Also, fuck Chapelle....I'd say that goes without saying, but I guess not....

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Jon Stewart, that more young people went to him for news than the mainstream press is an indictment of the mainstream press, not an exaltation of Stewart, the Daily Show got far too much unearned praise

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
On top of being transphobic, the jokes are so amateurish and childish. Like baby's first transphobic jokes level.

Jon Stewart has been a massive disappointment ever since the "sanity" for both sides rally. Only empathy for his rich friends and not for marginalised communities.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
How is Jon Stewart just now hitting people's shit lists? I mean, were people ok with him leading a massive rally with the intent of 'both sides'ing every major issue? Really?
Same-sex marriage...both sides have valid positions!
The Tea Party?....sure, they're a bit wild, but have you seen the crazies on the left?!
Attempts to rip down the ACA?....we should listen to what they have to say!

And somehow, after all that, people were still ok with Stewart?

Yeah, been saying fuck Jon Stewart for over 10 years...

Also, fuck Chapelle....I'd say that goes without saying, but I guess not....

I've seen at least a bunch of iffy stuff from him, but did he seriously both sides gay marriage?