• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who did the most damage of the last 6 Republican Presidents?

• Richard Nixon

Votes: 90 2.3%
  • Gerald Ford

Votes: 12 0.3%
  • Ronald Reagan

Votes: 1,466 37.8%
  • George H.W. Bush

Votes: 30 0.8%
  • George W. Bush

Votes: 903 23.3%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 1,380 35.6%

• Total voters

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
1. George W (global war, economic crisis)
2. Ronald Reagan (arming the Christian Right, blocking social development for decades,)

3. Trump (his so far only term has put an hard limit on him)

4. Nixon (he made more shit as a senator, tho)

Gerald Ford, George HW.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nixon.
  • He sabotaged LBJ's peace talks with Vietnam, which would've ended in 1968 rather than 1975. Also set the stage for Reagan's sabotaging of Carter with Iran and Trump's dealing with Russia.
  • Instituted the Southern Strategy, which carved out the GOP as the party of racist, reactionary white peoples and led directly to the GOP of today.
  • Halted George Romney's attempt to reverse the effects of Red Lining, which killed bipartisan support for doing so.
  • His actions led to the Kent State shootings, and his response helped create an atmosphere of fear for protestors that extends to today.
  • And of course he was corrupt, and utterly destroyed people's trust in government and the belief that corruption has negative consequences once caught.
Solid, solid points man. Might have to change my vote away from Reagan.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Nixon sowed massive distrust in the government. Leading to the anti-intellectual movement spawned from Reagan. Trump is just the purest, unfiltered Republican to ever grace our political structure. The structure set by Nixon.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nixon started the machine that was the modern GOP, while GWB did as much damage to the Middle East as the aftermath of WW1.

While Reagan was pretty questionable, he is but a child of Nixon.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Nixon for opening up China depending on how long of a timescale you're looking at.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easily George W Bush. The way he was elected, the way our brains collectively broke after 9/11, the big brother authoritarian surveillance he set up, normalizing never ending wars and torture, etc.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Reagan. The modern Republican party (and the related 'fuck you got mine' philosopy of boomers) is primarily his fault.

Trump is a close second. I guess Republicans just really like electing senile celebrities.
I really hate this statement. "Fuck you, got mine" is not a new thing. It's human nature. At the end of the day, I care about me and mine more than you and yours. It is so ingrained in humanity that many of the largest religions preach against that point of view.

I'm not going bring foreign policy into it. I'm not educated enough to speak to the nuances of America's foreign policy through each administration. I am aware of America's imperialism and the negative consequences of war. A better me would probably have that factor more into the equation. But as an American:

- Nixon was a pretty good President with a good domestic policy. Hell, if he hadn't been impeached, we'd have had universal healthcare for decades by now.
- Reagan probably would be my choice, but I mean, even he'd blush at the state of the Republican Party now. I may have disagreed on some of his policies, but ok.
- GWB. His legacy is stained by the conflict in the Middle East. I don't hate him though. I think he was woefully unprepared for office. His autobiography showed him in a different light to me.
- Trump is sickening and offensive in every derogatory way from his person to agenda. I catch myself asking myself how the fuck we elected such a terrible individual to the highest office in the country.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying Reagan? He didn't do a tenth of the evil Nixon did.

Nixon was a horrible, horrible man.

Domestically, the America we live in today directly ties back to Reaganomics. His attack on unions, welfare, healthcare, social safety nets, emphasis on the division between working whites and minorities, all contributed to the elimination of the middle class and a war on the working class.

While Nixon was unquestionably awful, he left politics being discredited. Reagan is still beloved today by the GOP and it took a long time before the left came around to the idea that Reagan was shit and openly attack him.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Reagan. His issues could be argued by nearly all of the other GOP examples, but I feel he helped normalize them the most.

The adoption of what many refer to as neoliberalism. The idea that market value is the only form of value. That anything the government can do is objectively bad, and anything a business can do is objectively good. That seeped into conservative culture where people normalized running the country like a business, and you see this even before Trump who is this problem in the form of a person. The selling of national parks and privatizing anything in the public space is one Reagan helped normalized. He helped, in essence, to make public issues private concerns, because of the atomization of individuals.

His racist ass helped cement the idea that a welfare state was for primarily non-whites. The term "welfare queen" is deeply embedded in the conservative lexicon, which creates an image of a black woman with many children and no father figure. And yet, the people who overwhelming use this same "leeching" system are whites, and in many cases, use it more. This is why they're often exempt from the more extreme and blatant acts of austerity: it is much easier to put work requirements on Medicaid on blacks because they're seen as the "bigger users" of a system and exempt whites within the same state, even if they use it more. This racist illusion of who uses assistance, and even the idea that those who use it are leeches and bad people, is a core tenet of conservatism.

Finally, of the points I wish to make, he helped cement the idea that the GOP will deify con men politicians. A man who turned things to garbage as he touched them, had a decaying brain in real time, and would do then-vile things like make racist jokes with Nixon or turn off his hearing aids when his wife was talking are things even worshippers of him today find it hard to believe as things Reagan could do. I remember when the racist tapes came out last year that people who met him and wrote books about him "couldn't believe he would say such a thing" and yet to all of us, it's as clear as looking up in the morning and seeing sunlight. Con men are seen as reasonable people and saviors, and Reagan was one even older non-Republican boomers see with warm eyes and hearts.

He's a disease that infected this country, kept the political left in gridlock for decades, has his own worshippers representing the current age of Republicans, and they've moved from a man with a fictional vision to the incarnation of a man who lived from that vision. You cannot have a Donald Trump without having a Ronald Reagan.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reagan with his Reaganomics screwed us domestically. The middle class got destroyed under his policies. He also denied government loans to all students who's families made over $32.5k and to eliminate grants and work study jobs. More students had to apply for private loans instead of federal ones. One of the reasons why our student debt is so high now. His policies only benefited the wealthy while denying the poor and working class.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Seems strange to attempt to quantify evil, but my ranking would be Bush Jr. > Reagan > Trump > Nixon > Bush Sr. > Ford

Ultimately voted W as during his administration America endured the worst terrorist attack in its history, the PATRIOT Act, and the 2008 financial crisis/TARP. And overseas Iraq and Afghanistan endured an American invasion resulting in hundreds of thousands of deaths. Hard to top that.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a hard call between Reagan and Trump to me. I think I'm going with Trump though despite that you could trace a lot of this back to Reagan. Reasoning being Trump is totally the wrong person at the wrong time. The rise of the right in the US has also had a contribution to the rise of the right elsewhere IMO and all because of the nature of the internet and social media nowadays. Or in short I feel Trump also lucked his way into being as much of a cunt as he has managed to be.

If Reagan was around nowadays instead I've no doubt I'd easily put him at the top.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The court system has completely broken due to Trump. I fully expect abortion rights and voting rights to be decimated in the next decade due to this. Better hope RBG lives another 5 years or it's a guarantee and that's just the Supreme Court.
any republican president would have done that. We knew that was going to happen since the 2010 midterms.

There is so much more blood on W's hands

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
W. Bush for sure. Killed over a million people in the middle east (and who knows how many lost their homes) not to mention the fuckups with Katrina seems to be forgotten by a lot of people but not me.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
GWB was an absolutely repugnant president whose actions resulted in the death of at least hundreds of thousands of innocent people. He would be my pick. Reason being a very close second.

Oct 27, 2017
The court system has completely broken due to Trump. I fully expect abortion rights and voting rights to be decimated in the next decade due to this. Better hope RBG lives another 5 years or it's a guarantee and that's just the Supreme Court.
I think McConnell broke it more than Trump by blocking so many Obama appointees and leaving vacancies. Any Republican president could make the appointments trump has.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
it's reagan by far lol. in terms of public relations trump is probably the worst president, but reagan has poisoned the system for maybe all time.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
On policy:

1) Reagan
2) W Bush
3) Trump

I think Trump has done the most existential damage by far, however. He validated the ugliest underbelly of American culture and once that box opens you can't just close it back up. We have to reckon with his supporters for generations to come, and our division has not only been exposed by his candidacy, but exploited beyond repair.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Man that's a hard one.
Reagan set the seeds of all kinds of bad shit that we are still feeling today

Bush and his illegal wars and torture and destroying the economy and eliminating the budget surplus we had during the end of Clinton

Trump for destroying constitional norms and his foreign policy ugh. However, most of what Trump has done so far is quickly reversible via executive orders and a Dem winning the presidency in 2020. The only real lasting thing that couldn't easily be reversed is the tax bill. However, as stated, pretty much everything else he has done could be dismantled in a matter of months with a Dem president. I wouldn't be surprised if the Iran deal could be quickly redone if a Dem wins in 2020

I cant include trump, as he hasn't even served one term while the others served two. If I had to go with one it would be GWB, war based on lies, torture, and killing the economy and bankrupting the nation.

Another part of the damage Trump has been doing is to the judiciary. Appointing so many conservative judges is terrifying to me. It isn't just limited to the SCOTUS and is one of the few things that can't be reversed.

Oct 26, 2017
Reagan is like the root of it all, albeit I think we should also consider non Presidents as well, like Barry Goldwater

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
03aab90dd747ff64a0516ad44acfb760.gif

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tough question and a bit too early to throw Trump into the mix. You can see the effects of the other presidents' policies in the long term in a way you can't yet with Trump. Like Bush's middle eastern clusterfuck. It's very possible that the things he's done to erode the institutions in our government could be far reaching and lead to massive failures down the line. He's basically corrupted every department there is and his corruption has set a blueprint for the future that we probably cannot fathom yet. But it's possible some of that won't come to fruition.

I voted GWB, but a case could easily be made for Nixon and Reagan, and they all lead into one another rather elegantly. Without one I'm not sure we get the next and so on. Trump is in that line, too. Without Reagan or Bush we don't get Trump. There may be another horrible president we get largely because of Trump's work, too.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yes looking from today's perspective that's bad but given the public's perception of the gay community back then it's not at all surprising of his actions.

As opposed to this idiot
img.jpg

Who I feel like can say anything about a minority group at a moments notice that can cause immediate violence somewhere in this country because people feel like he is co-signing it?

I will always think that's more damaging than not attending a funeral.
As someone who's part of the LGBT community, Reagan was much much much more damaging than Trump.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying Reagan? He didn't do a tenth of the evil Nixon did.

Nixon was a horrible, horrible man.

Nixon was kicked out of office. He was so terrible that people had to admit he was terrible. He's officially, unequivocally terrible. That kind of terrible can be learned from. But the terribleness of Reagan, who is still touted as an American hero? That's much worse. Instead of learning from his failures, the party built its platform right on top of his cancerous ideas.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Nixon was kicked out of office. He was so terrible that people had to admit he was terrible. He's officially, unequivocally terrible. That kind of terrible can be learned from. But the terribleness of Reagan, who is still touted as an American hero? That's much worse. Instead of learning from his failures, the party built its platform right on top of his cancerous ideas.

Yeah, but what they learned from the Nixon failure was how to weasel out of it. Roger Ailes largely built Fox News as a response to the media painting Nixon as so terrible he had to resign. He wanted a propaganda network so that would never happen again. And it worked.

The party kept building the party on top of Nixon's ideas. That's what the southern strategy is.

Oct 27, 2017
Reagan set the table for letting cronies run government. He normalized being a figurehead puppet. And he was as corrupt as they come.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a toss up between Reagan and Bush Jr.
Reagan was a fucking monster and Bush Jr is still a war criminal. Reagan's policies during his reign of terror have been affecting this country since their creation.

Starshaped

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
Dubya and the absolute havoc of the post 9/11 world is definitely a good shout. Still think the cancer of Reagan has him beat though.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be Reagan. Or more aptly Freidman, the Mont Pelerin Society and the Chicago Boys. Reagan was a muppet that ushered in a new economic religion that even the Democrats have bent the knee to. Neoliberalism and the insanity of infinite growth set the tone for US domestic and foreign policy. The Bush clan may have been more militaristic and destabilizing in the middle east, but their ideology flows from Reagan. Trump is arguably the inevitable, horrifying realization that neoliberalism is a sham and it really is just greed at all costs that underpins our capitalist societies.