• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
In many discussions about video games, it's a pretty common topic to discuss what's wrong with the designs or writing of women. It's an important discussion to look into, to be sure, and there are countless examples of this or that being handled poorly with various characters. What I seem to notice, however, is that there's far fewer examples of what people feel is good design of women in video games. A negative trait can get an entire essay dedicated to it, but a positive portrayal will at most get a "yep, I like this" from most, if positive portrayals of women are even acknowledged to exist.

More or less, I feel like this is a side effect of criticism as a whole. The positive traits of video games in general tend to suffer a similar fate in the realm of analysis, and the positive traits of media as a whole as well. It's a natural tendency of a critic to feel more strongly about negative traits than positive ones. However, in this particular case I feel a particular curiosity in understanding what should be aimed towards rather than simply away from. Designing a woman that would make for a great video game protagonist sounds like it would be both positive and an interesting project, but attempting to research articles on what people feel is good design of women turns up precious little of use.

With that in mind, I think I'd like to ask what ResetERA thinks are the best portrayals of women in video games. However. I will not be simply asking "Who are the best characters?" I'm of the expectation that asking such would lead to a similarly vague and low discussion response to what is typical of the question. So instead, I'm going to be asking what your favorite characters are from five types of categories:

1. What woman/girl character do you think has the awesomest design?
This is about which woman has the clothes that look the most epic. Everything about their character design screams "awesome," or at least "gosh, I only wish I was cool enough to pull that off." Or perhaps it's about that perfect hairdo and eyes that glint into your soul with a single glance. Or maybe they're just so cute that it always melts your heart, or so well dressed that it's hard to describe. Or all of the above! This is about the design you find the most fun to look at.
2. What woman/girl character do you think has the most respectful design?
This is about asking which design does the best to respect the dignity of women in your eyes. I'm not making this a category to try to encourage prudishness, in fact I'm largely adding this because I worry people won't feel comfortable going wild in the first category if they're trying to weigh between their sensibilities and what's just downright fun. So I'm going to split them off.
3. What woman/girl character do you think is the best written?
This is about the overall quality of writing of a woman or girl. What character do you think had the best story arc, the best explorations of their nuance as a human being, and so on. Which character would you give a writing award to if you were judging off of quality?
4. What woman/girl character do you think is the funniest?
I find that humor is something rarely discussed in the light of these types of conversations. I love funny characters to bits. They don't have to be super deep or nuanced to me, although I'll certainly take that with open arms alongside it, but writing a character successfully funny is something skilled in itself. Note that I'm not asking for characters that are accidentally funny, as I feel that it misses the point of pinpointing what makes a woman character good and would direct this thread into a degree of toxicity I'd rather it not steer into. Rather, which characters were intentionally written to have humorous moments and managed to succeed at entertaining you with them?
5. What woman/girl character do you think is the most empowering to play as?
If the first question was about what design makes you feel the greatest to look at, this is about which character's gameplay and characterization feels the most exhilarating to play. What woman do you feel exudes awesomeness with every word they say, fills you with a sense of thrill every time you press a button? Or just gives you this sense of respect for them as you play? Who feels the greatest to be in the shoes of, and earns your respect as a protagonist?

Keep in mind that answering with younger characters is perfectly within the bounds of this thread and just as encouraged as older ones, hence the use of "girl" in several spots as well. I'm trying my best in my first thread on ResetERA to encourage a bit more variety and clarity when discussing this topic rather than simply leaving a single vague criteria for people to have wildly varying interpretations of. Although I'm not very experienced in this whole thread making business, so I probably messed up somewhere anyway. . .At any rate, I'm hoping to inspire some sort of conversation on the topic. I don't really have any article or grand story to link to kick off the discussion, but I feel that discussing what you think is positive design of girl characters in gaming is something worth kicking off even without it.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Questions 1 and 2 I'll answer with Jade from Beyond Good & Evil, which coincidentally happens to be my favourite game ever.

Jade-Beyond_Good_%26_Evil.png

I love this design. Its so incredibly grounded and believable. Practical and it still exudes latent femininity. The greens and earthy tones really speak to the nature of her character.

Q3. Clementine Walking Dead, specifically season 1.

22d9a8854923426ae96ae219c51ede741f0c8b43d20b73086356fba35af8a662.jpg

A very real feeling little girl, who makes me feel a ridiculously strong maternal instinct. The writing is massively enhanced by Melissa Hutchinson's excellent performance of course.

Q4. GLaDOS
400px-GLaDOS_P2.png

Need I say more.

Q5. Bayonetta

giwpfxj9lrlqqfipxzr2.png

She kicks ass. Bayo 1 and 2 are two of the best character action games ever made and Bayonetta's power and expansive move set make her an absolute blast to play.

Plus she's a literal dominatrix, can't get more in power than that.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Boss from MGS3 and Lady from DMC3 are both the best designed and best written.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Reading all 5 of those categories and the character that popped on my head for all 5 of them was:
The-Last-of-Us-Ellie-End-615x331.jpg

Ellie from TLOU is just too awesome.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Best-written woman in gaming is Kreia from KOTOR2, who is coincidentally the best-written character in gaming period.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Q1 Quiet (MGSV)

160a06383c9229c21a9c0cab1f7d94cd.jpg

Q2 Aeris (FFVII)

latest

Look at her clothing and also how she talks and behaves. She is the sweet, smart, responsibly daughter all fathers want to have

Q3 Elly (Xenogears)

Incredible story

Q4 really don't know

Q5 Chun-Li

Chun-Li_tatsunoko.png

Strong, tough, independent and beautiful. Samus is also like Chun-Li but because of her suit I never think "I'm playing with a woman right now"

Last edited:

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hope I don't get any flack for this

Q1 - Ciri from the Witcher 3
Q2- Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider Reboot - Her look just looks like a real life attractive fit woman. No dumb clothes that don't make sense and nothing thats really awkward
Q3 - Not a human but.. Liara from Mass Effect
Q4 - Glados
Q5- Have to come back to this one.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Since the series is basically all I can think about right now, my post will be "why the Legend of Heroes series has awesome female characters."

1. Arionrhod - look at her. Bad ass as hell and she will fuck your shit up

2. Hard to pick one so I'll just post a few that I like
Kloe:

Aurelia:
Kilika:

3. Renne - it's hard to go too much into why I like her so much without major spoilers, but her story arc had me in tears at points.

4. Estelle - some of her expressions and quotes are legendary without her having to be an explicitly jokey character

5. Sara - maybe not the most expected of choices, but she has a scene in CS2 that really stands out to me as a fuck yes moment where you go through a fight only using her and I loved it

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
250px-DQIV_DS_Alena.png

This is solely based off playing Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2. Never played DQ4, but I love this character. This is an answer to all the questions aside coolest design. Not sure about that one yet.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Shion Uzuki is a rare case in an RPG where I dislike a character's decisions and still come out appreciating their complexities.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1: Squid Sisters (Marie & Callie),
I love how they kinda look like female versions of the Mario Bros, and they are stellar designs one of Nintendo's best female wise imo. They are just really likeable.

2: Hmmmm... I would say Zelda and Aloy. Aloy is just amazing character all around and her story was great and Zelda's design has always been good and very varied among the games.

3: Midna, she still has my favorite story arc in a videogame how she turns from using Link as a slave and not caring about the world of light at all to completely do a 180 and caring is awesome. She really gets redeemed in a great amazing way, she even outdoes Zelda in that game but honestly that game was more about Midna then about Zelda.

4: I think Marie from the Squid Sisters is hilarious her snarky remarks to Callie and overal dryness are pretty funny. Altho i think Midna's humor also was hilarious how she kept teasing link and act like he was her slave kind of was hilarious.

Inkling girl also deserves a mention she does not talk at all but those WOOMY sounds are hilarious.

5. Samus altho sadly Other M kinda ruined that a bit but Samus Returns brought badass Samus back. I hope she is a badass in Prime 4 too. Lara Croft and Aloy are also very cool and would put em equal here, the TR reboot was amazing imo and so was Horizon, altho Aloy's story was better and she is more fleshed out tho.

Edit: Palutina from Kid Icarus Uprising is pretty darn funny aswell.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
1) Awesomest design. Hmm, tough one, because there are a few contenders out there. I'd say a toss-up between Fetch from the InFAMOUS series and Raven from Gravity Rush.

I'm a sucker for non-natural hair colours and punk aesthetics.

2) Most respectful design. I have to say Chloe and Nadine from Uncharted: The Lost Legacy are real standouts here, because they look like real women, not like games where dudes are allowed all kinds of designs while women are all perfect dolls (cough FFXV cough). Plus, not one but TWO non-fetishised women of color as leads in an AAA video game??? It's a dream come true.

3) Best written. That's a tough one because there are a lot of well-written women out there. In recent memory, I really liked Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn. Again, Chloe and Nadine. And Chloe Price from Life is Strange: Before the Storm has my entire soul.

4) Funniest? Uhh, idk. I don't think characters ever really stand out to me as being funny. I like Chloe's wisecracking, I guess.

5) Empowering to play as. Aloy and Chloe, because I too want to be a badass lady who kills bad guys and looks good doing it. Kat from Gravity Rush, although that's probably because I'm a sucker for soaring through the air and nailing the landing.

Satanael

Oct 27, 2017
Q1 Quistis (FFVIII)

Q2 Elena Fisher (Uncharted)

Q3 Sam (Gone Home)
Honorable mention: Anne Tarver (Virginia)

Q4 Callie and Marie, ex aequo (Splatoon)

Q5 Samus (Metroid)

Oct 27, 2017
London
From recent games I have played:

1. Kaede Akamatsu from Danganronpa V3. Wonderful design and pleasing to look at. She's the Ultimate Pianist and this is really reflected in her design. Her skirt is also filled with musical notes. Also she's cute as hell.

4LV35DW.png

2. Max Caulfield from LiS. Grounded, down to earth design that I also really enjoyed.
2808906-download+%281%29.jpg

Q3-5 Chloe Price from LiS, this girl is a badass with a tragic and feelsy backstory. Love her wisecracks too. Really liked her as the protagonist of BtS too.

2793188-1264087639-tumbl.png

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Senua, the titular protagonist of Hellblade is not only one of the most respectfully written women in games, she's also probably the most respectful and accurate depiction of a person with mental illness. She also has a striking visual design and an amazing parry that makes her very empowering and gratifying to play as.

ot08QPj.jpg

5s5ji6.gif

Heather from Silent Hill 3 has to be up there as well and that one I really shouldn't have to say much about.

Last edited:

Squidi

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Having just finished the two localized Utawarerumono games, I'd say that Kuon is a pretty good female character (the Yamato princess is another good one). She's strong, but she's not just strong. In fact, I'd say that her weaknesses are more defining in her character arc. Her victories don't come from building on her strengths but by overcoming those weaknesses. She can be strong and smart, but she can also be weak and stupid and relies on the help from her friends to keep her going. There's a section of the game where she is missing from the group and her absence is keenly felt, both in how the group changes for the worse without her and how she changes for the worse without them. Mostly though, you spend a good 50+ hours with her as a character, and she is given plenty of room to breathe. You see her in all those in between filler moments, when she is being a character rather than a plot device.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
1. Best Design: Eddie Burret (Elevator Action Returns)
It was between her and the girl from Alien vs Predator arcade game, but in the end I chose her.
e537ecc97bd32f7dfa2c8536d83a517a.jpg
pUwFRf.gif

2. Respectful design: Hibiki (Last Blade).
She fights in honour of her deceased father and keeps her dignity in front of the playboy Amano.
snk-hibikiart.gif
hibiki-blue.gif

3. Best Written: Lauren Blackwell (Blackwell Unbound).
I liked her more than her niece, the protagonist of the other Blackwell games. Grace from Gabriel Knight would be close.
854079-blackwell-unbound-macintosh-screenshot-lauren-with-a-cigarette.png
maxresdefault.jpg

4. Funniest: Laverne (Day of the Tentacle)
The so called female Guybrush. Funniest bar none.
HTTP2ltYWdlczYuZmFucG9wLmNvbS9pbWFnZS9waG90b3MvMzg1MDAwMDAvVGltZS1NYWNoaW5lLVBsdW1tZXQtZGF5LW9mLXRoZS10ZW50YWNsZS0zODU4NzQxNy01MDAtMzc1LmdpZgloglog.gif
Skunk-Kitty-day-of-the-tentacle-37399166-137-193.png

5. Best: Fio Germi (Metal Slug). Least fanservicey pic I could find. In Metal Slug 6 she has the most powerful weapons, so she fits!
latest
0d6.gif

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
Most awesome design: Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile.
Most respectful design: Nanami from Suikoden 2.
Best written : Mae from Night in the Woods and Jenna Angel from Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. They are so different characters that I think it's OK to mention both.
Funniest : Mae from Night in the Woods.
Most powerful : 2B from NieR Automata.

Last edited:

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
To me, it all comes down to Agrias Oaks from Final Fantasy tactics and I'm always surprised she's not mentioned more often in threads about great women in video games.

She's strong, she's one of the main character in one of the best written game in history, she's an important asset in your party, she's one of the best knight in the world of Ivalice, she's determined and more important, she has important values. You feel you can trust her with your life.

image.jpg

Lin from Advance wars is a good contender too, but she's less developped as a character, but there's no doubt she stands up there with best women to look up to if you want to identify with one. A young soldier who happens to be the best tactician in advance wars and a determined character, with a killer - and respectul - design.

image.png

Sometime I feel writters and designers try a lot to make a good female character and it really shows, it's like they tick boxes blindlessly to go with tendencies, while Agrias and Lin are just cool characters. They could have been male and it would have worked, but they're female for whatever reasons and I find it better this way, that feels more natural as a creative process.

Last edited:

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
3 & 4. Easily goes to Estelle bright from Trails in the Sky.
oU8zDuH.png

I have several for each of the rest that I can't decide in between.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to all of those questions is Max (and sometimes Chloe) from Life is Strange.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Oh so hard to choose!
Most awesome design - Barbarian in Diablo 3. Look at her!!
U7eRU6T.jpg

Most respectful design- Lady Maria. So badass as well! I usually don't expect much from Japanese games, but Soulsborne are ok.
SvxlDkvl.jpg

Best written - Okay, this really depends on my mood. I will go with the one not many will mention: Kate Walker in Syberia 1. I really respected how her characters grow as she moves towards the ending. The end of Syberia really touched me.
CXPPo0l.jpg

Funniest - A lot. I dunno, I will just pick a recent example: Kat. The way she reacts to the absurdity around her is hilarious. (Also there's sarcastic Lady Hawke in Dragon age 2 imo.)
2udJKxJ.jpg

Most powerful - Bayonetta!!
tPk8Bn0.jpg

(I will sneak a Zarya in here too, because look at her size, cheesus! I love using her, it feels awesome!)
G2i2shY.jpg

Most awesome design: Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile.
Most respectful design: Nanami from Suikoden 2.
Best written : Mae from Night in the Woods and Jenna Angel from Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. They are so different characters that I think it's OK to mention both.
Funniest : Mae from Night in the Woods.
Most powerful : 2B from NieR Automata.
Look, Mae's avatar user... Mae too!

OP
OP

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
She only fits #3. One of the best.

Also, #2 is kind of stupid.
Yeah, I. . .worried #2 was really stupid, but at the same time I wasn't sure what reasonings people were going to use for design preferences and I wanted to try to cover multiple angles.

Sorry about that. :/

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an excellent thread! I had to think about this somewhat, but my answers are surprisingly repetitive.

Predictably, this one is Makoto Niijima from Persona 5
820907.png

daa50c1786c9c4ebd00cfead13599d51.jpg

This one I will go with Max Caulfield from Life is Strange
latest

1438299983467.jpg

Max again- she's actually one of my favorite female characters of all time. I think her characterization is even more notable because it manages to balance her for what she is with the player agency that goes with her being the protagonist of a 'choose your own story' style adventure game, too.

maxresdefault.jpg

This one goes to Chie, who is endearing for her antics- I don't think she ever tries to be funny, but she ends up making me laugh nonetheless.

jjYVOj7.gif

This one was simple, Samus Aran. I don't think there are many... things... in the universe she can't dispatch without batting an eye.

metroid_samus_aran_varia_desktop_1000x618_hd-wallpaper-896679.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
canada
In many discussions about video games, it's a pretty common topic to discuss what's wrong with the designs or writing of women. It's an important discussion to look into, to be sure, and there are countless examples of this or that being handled poorly with various characters. What I seem to notice, however, is that there's far fewer examples of what people feel is good design of women in video games. A negative trait can get an entire essay dedicated to it, but a positive portrayal will at most get a "yep, I like this" from most, if positive portrayals of women are even acknowledged to exist.

More or less, I feel like this is a side effect of criticism as a whole. The positive traits of video games in general tend to suffer a similar fate in the realm of analysis, and the positive traits of media as a whole as well. It's a natural tendency of a critic to feel more strongly about negative traits than positive ones. However, in this particular case I feel a particular curiosity in understanding what should be aimed towards rather than simply away from. Designing a woman that would make for a great video game protagonist sounds like it would be both positive and an interesting project, but attempting to research articles on what people feel is good design of women turns up precious little of use.

With that in mind, I think I'd like to ask what ResetERA thinks are the best portrayals of women in video games. However. I will not be simply asking "Who are the best characters?" I'm of the expectation that asking such would lead to a similarly vague and low discussion response to what is typical of the question. So instead, I'm going to be asking what your favorite characters are from five types of categories:

This is about which woman has the clothes that look the most epic. Everything about their character design screams "awesome," or at least "gosh, I only wish I was cool enough to pull that off." Or perhaps it's about that perfect hairdo and eyes that glint into your soul with a single glance. Or maybe they're just so cute that it always melts your heart, or so well dressed that it's hard to describe. Or all of the above! This is about the design you find the most fun to look at.
This is about asking which design does the best to respect the dignity of women in your eyes. I'm not making this a category to try to encourage prudishness, in fact I'm largely adding this because I worry people won't feel comfortable going wild in the first category if they're trying to weigh between their sensibilities and what's just downright fun. So I'm going to split them off.
This is about the overall quality of writing of a woman or girl. What character do you think had the best story arc, the best explorations of their nuance as a human being, and so on. Which character would you give a writing award to if you were judging off of quality?
I find that humor is something rarely discussed in the light of these types of conversations. I love funny characters to bits. They don't have to be super deep or nuanced to me, although I'll certainly take that with open arms alongside it, but writing a character successfully funny is something skilled in itself. Note that I'm not asking for characters that are accidentally funny, as I feel that it misses the point of pinpointing what makes a woman character good and would direct this thread into a degree of toxicity I'd rather it not steer into. Rather, which characters were intentionally written to have humorous moments and managed to succeed at entertaining you with them?
If the first question was about what design makes you feel the greatest to look at, this is about which character's gameplay and characterization feels the most exhilarating to play. What woman do you feel exudes awesomeness with every word they say, fills you with a sense of thrill every time you press a button? Or just gives you this sense of respect for them as you play? Who feels the greatest to be in the shoes of, and earns your respect as a protagonist?

Keep in mind that answering with younger characters is perfectly within the bounds of this thread and just as encouraged as older ones, hence the use of "girl" in several spots as well. I'm trying my best in my first thread on ResetERA to encourage a bit more variety and clarity when discussing this topic rather than simply leaving a single vague criteria for people to have wildly varying interpretations of. Although I'm not very experienced in this whole thread making business, so I probably messed up somewhere anyway. . .At any rate, I'm hoping to inspire some sort of conversation on the topic. I don't really have any article or grand story to link to kick off the discussion, but I feel that discussing what you think is positive design of girl characters in gaming is something worth kicking off even without it.

1. Bayonetta
2. Samus
3. The Boss
4. Bayonetta
5. Bayonetta

Bayo is my favourite power fantasy as a man. She looks cool, shes composed for the most part, and her games rule.

Are we able to at say after a week compile a consensus for this? It may help people discover games theyve never played before.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
For #1 and #2: Definitely Lightning from the FF XIII trilogy. She has no exaggerated features, her boobs aren't big (by JRPG standards) or ever in your face. Her butt is average, many even say flat. And yet she has millions of fans across the world and features in fashion designs by Louis Vuitton. Why? She's just plain cool. Everything about Lightning is cool. None of the usual fanservice tropes apply to her.

lightning_ff_xiii_2_by_splash_123-d47rx12.gif

#3: Any female written by Yoko Taro is the best written imo. The problem is that deeper understanding of his characters generally requires reading books/lore outside the game.

#4: Is a tie between Kat from Gravity Rush, and Rayne from WoFF. Kat is like cute funny, but Rayne is always sarcastically beating her dumbass brother with wit. I can't stop laughing at either of them.

#5: It's gotta be Lightning again right? I mean, she does become an actual goddess with power over time, souls, and afterlife. She kills God. In a more sensual way though, maybe Zero from Drakengard 3. Zero is interesting in that she spends the entire game slashing people up, cursing at them, being a potty mouth in general, and she'll even piss on the corpses of all these dead soldiers when she's done. In the meantime she captures all her sisters Disciple's (think manservant/bodyguard) and forces them into submission under penalty of death. (Zero of course is a much, much deeper character than this but you'd need to play the game and understand the lore to get that.) As for as empowerment goes, it's gotta be hard to top these. Maybe it depends on what you consider empowerment though.

tumblr_n91idzrJ5R1s8nccpo3_500.gif

Last edited:

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Let's inject some Witcher 3 love in this thread, a series with a high amount of female representation and a fantastic cast of female characters.

Maybe an unconventional choice but I absolutely love the design of Iris von Everec from the Hearts of Stone expansion. Incredible character and her design reflects her sadness and tragic backstory perfectly.

images said:

Cerys an Craite proves that women do not need to rely on sexuality to progress in the world of the Witcher. Great design, both stylish and practical and suitable for the cold climate of Skellige. Oh yeah, no boob armour.
image said:

Yennefer of Vengerberg. Her interactions with Geralt highlight a rich and troubled history yet they share a chemistry I have rarely seen in other games. This is not the typical teenage love seen in games but rather an old couple arguing about times past. The only times Yennefer's cold outer layer manages to crack is when she is with Geralt or Ciri. Her interactions with the other cast members on the other hand often leads to conflict, where everyone is clearly frustrated at Yennefer's tyrannical nature and ruthless methods.
Image said:

Another mention for Yennefer. She is not funny on purpose but her crude behaviour, quick temper and witty tongue contrast so wonderfully with the people around her that comical situations arise everywhere she goes. From cracking wolf jokes with Geralt to terrorizing the locals of a Skelligan village, a smile is never far away when Yennefer is near.
Image said:

Not that much choice in the series, is there? Ciri is clearly a force to be reckoned with, reflected in the gameplay where she slices through foes like through butter. Yet she is so much more than a fighting machine. During all the vignettes we get to play as Ciri, her human qualities shine through.

Image said:

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
1. A2 from Nier Automata. I know a lot of people will probably go for 2B instead, and she's definitely a great choice, but I dunno, I think A2's really cool too.

2. Difficult. But I think I'd give the nod to Chloe from Life is Strange? Not just for her design, but her character feels well thought out enough that it feels respectful as an overall package.

3 and 4. Yeah I have no other response here. Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky, easily. One of my favorite female characters in general, and my favorite protagonist, period. Her growth over the course of two JRPGs is amazing to watch, and even when she isn't the focus of the scene, she's either hilarious, or just really endearing. Fantastic all around.

5. Bayonetta. I mean, it's Bayonetta. I wouldn't necessarily want her to be the face of female empowerment in general, but she's a lot of fun to play as.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Most Awesomest Design : Anima -Final Fantasy X

Still memorable even today, the size and power of Anima is dizzying. Her ultimate attack is even more amazing, she's just a stunning desing.

final_fantasy_x_aeons___anima_1_by_roguevincent-d70k50b.png

2. Most Respectful Design : Chell - Portal

In both games she's not sexualized at all.

Chell.png

3. Best Written : The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3

We learn so much about her in a short amount of time and much of her character is communicated through her actions. Her philosophies, beliefs, humanity, all of it is displayed with depth and respect.

d09d7e01c4657eb585242d12a1eafc5a--metal-girl-video-game-characters.jpg

4. Funniest : Vibri - Vib Ribbon

She's just adorable, loves to have fun and makes me smile.

latest

5. Most Empowering : Crystal - Pokemon Crystal

You could put any female Pokemon MC here but Crystal is my favourite because she was the first and went on an amazing adventure, all alone, across two regions and defeated everyone.

155px-Crystal_Kris.png

Embercase

Oct 28, 2017
Sydney, Australia

For #1 and #2: Definitely Lightning from the FF XIII trilogy. She has no exaggerated features, her boobs aren't big (by JRPG standards) or ever in your face. Her butt is average, many even say flat. And yet she has millions of fans across the world and features in fashion designs by Louis Vuitton. Why? She's just plain cool. Everything about Lightning is cool. None of the usual fanservice tropes apply to her.

lightning_ff_xiii_2_by_splash_123-d47rx12.gif

The one and only goddess...
iqgdezdlyhxry.gif

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chun-Li is my pick for most of the questions. I like the design, the character, she's fun to play as, and it's kinda empowering whooping ass in Street Fighter with her. Not really funny, but not really a comedy character. A pretty safe pick yes, but she's my go to character in Street Fighter so she always has a place in my heart.

Probably my favorite Chun-Li look.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nice thread, OP.

Lady Maria (inbefo avatar quote :P), Bloodborne
medium.jpg

Aloy, Horizon Zero Dawn
latest

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden III) and Agrias Oaks (Final Fantasy Tactics), simply because seeing female warriors in non-trashy armour is so rare in RPGs (especially JRPGs). :(

Ellie, The Last of Us. Just fantastically written all-around. Believable, heartfelt, likeable, tough, sassy, but with a sweet vulnerability to her. I can't wait to see her all grown up and angrier than ever in TLoU2. <3
The-Last-of-Us-Ellie-End-615x331.jpg

The shoddy translation aside, I'd give the nod to Alys in Phantasy Star IV (see below). She's got tons of personality and a really cool story arc.
Alys Brangwin (Phantasy Star IV). She is sassy as hell and takes no shit from anyone. She's also a bit of a bully towards another character (Hahn), but in a witty, funny, light-hearted way (and Hahn kind of sucks so it's funny... xD).
latest

Honourable mention: Estelle Bright, Trails in the Sky series
d6M3QM2.png

My Soulsborne characters ;)
But for pre-determined characters, I'd go with Aloy again, and Emily Kaldwin (Dishonored 2):
maxresdefault.jpg

And Chloe Frazer in Uncharted: Lost Legacy (her banter with Nadine was great too)
lost-legacy-title.png

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

Hilde from Soul Calibur

Honourable Mentions
Elika - Prince of Persia 2008
Titania - Fire Emblem
Hornet - Hollow Knight

Joan from Jeanne d'arc
jeanne_darc_-_psp_-_1.jpeg

Honourable Mentions
Lady Maria - Bloodborne

I'm not sure.

Maybe Kaine.from Nier
She suffers a lot. She has her own individual self that is far from most tropes and stereotypes. She has unique or at least seldom explored traits and difficulties that shaped her as an individual. She gets twice as much characterization almost if only because you get to read more about her feelings and emotions that were unsaid during the second playthrough.

Maybe Kat from Gravity Rush.
For such a bright and charming game the world is surprisingly dark. Here we have a heroine who genuinely tries her best. She lives in poverty, works pretty much for free and to help others and ultimately is just a good person trying to do what is right in a harsh world were her innocence is often exploited but when she is happy that the tasks are complete there is sweetness in her joy. The writing for her is... less about her and more about her impact on the world and companions. Her influences. Her repeated failures in attempts to make the world better, slowly and unknowingly leading others by example to do the same.

Glory from Shadowrun Dragonfall is a character I really enjoyed.
Glory's story and circumstance was like a puzzle I was trying to unravel. What I thought was interesting was that even after all the events of the game and you offer to journey with her, she says that she would prefer solitude and time on her own, she would love to work together again but she needed some alone time. This really set in that these events were but another step in a long and complicated journey of the Shadowrunner's life. Her trials are not over and there are certain things that she must face alone, particularly internally.

Mom from Rakuen
A strong and supportive character. This journey is as much about her as the Boy. Moms are tough

I haven't played Alloy or 2B or Zero yet.

This is a tough one because none of the females characters I know or like are really trying to be the charming comedian type character. So their humour is usually pranks or comedy occurrences written for story/plot and these scenes often involve more than a single character.
Kat is funny because of her over flowing optimism, gullibility, charm and misfortunes. Her gestures and animations are full of life and great.
Persona characters individually aren't really funny but has some good comedic moments. I am fond of Yukiko's hidden silly side and her love for the goofy glasses.
maxresdefault.jpg

Wang Yi - Dynasty Warriors
Duo Trishula, she looks a little bit creepy but her moveset was a lot of fun to just run around tearing through hordes of enemy soldiers. She isn't the most powerful character, heck not even in the DW games but she was the one I enjoyed the most recently.

Honourable Mentions
Bloodborne - Feels so good when you play well, nothing quite like it. You are weak yet so powerful.
Bayonetta - Nothing quite like it. To me, it is more stylish than DMCs, more varied than NG. Witch Time and Dodge Offset are such fantastic mechanics.
Lucina - I mained Marth for a long time in SSB and Lucina is no Marth but she was still so much fun. especially satisfying when people forget that she has much more power at the cost of the tip advantage.
Maya - Lifting an enemy into the air in a bubble prison and watching all your friends shoot it from all sides.
Expeditions Vikings - A surprising one here. I remember a moment where one of the factions' champion challenged my vikings to a friendly duel because he was curious how vikings led by a female fought. Oh it was satisfying beating him. I think this stood out for me because as a viking you could choose aggressive and violent approaches that felt fitting to your character without necessarily being outright evil.

So many fighting game characters as well.

Last edited: