• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I have been thinking about this lately, while Nintendo has extremely iconic and meancing villains a lot of Nintendo's most popular antagionsts don't really devlop heavily or change that much throughout the story as Nintendo usually likes to keep things simple. Granted there are expections to this and that is what this thread is for. So who do you think is the most Intresting Nintendo Antagionst from a story/charcter perspective?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ganonspeech.jpg

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker Ganon, they actually added some characterisation and depth.

(...and then did the exact opposite in Breath of the Wild.)

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I hate label her as an antagonist but for the purposes of this thread I'm going to say Edelgard. I've never seen so many debates over a Nintendo antagonist and part of that is due how well written she is.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
At the risk of sounding incredibly condescending, it's 'antagonist', not 'antagionst'.
Sorry

To answer your question, I would say Skull Kid just for the character design, and Berkut from Fire Emblem echoes (although I guess

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jin from Xenoblade 2. The way his story arc develops throughout both Torna and the main game is great.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jin from XC2 was really great and flashed out, he probably deserves it the most given how much Nintendo usually fleshes out characters, but WW ganondorf is also a great choice

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker Ganon, they actually added some characterisation and depth.

(...and then did the exact opposite in Breath of the Wild.)

I'm surprised they actually showed the human Gerudo Ganondorf in the sequel trailer. I actually wasn't expecting it, I assumed and expected the monstrous force of nature Beast Ganon as a callback to Zelda I and II. With how developed the Gerudo are in BotW as a civilization, we might be in for a re-exploration of Ganondorf the human. I'm hoping so!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's recent, but Edelgard is pretty much a main villain, but you get where she's coming from, and can even side with her.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The whole WW Ganondorf thing is kind of self-justification for being an evil prick centuries after the fact.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ganondorf is my favorite villain, but he's fairly straightforward and not terribly complex. Pokey Minch might get my vote for this thread.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker Ganondorf is probably my favorite. Dude was just fucking OVER IT and then he took a sword to the face for his troubles.

Also that fight under the crashing water. I may hate Wind Waker as a game but I LOVE the entire endgame, from time-frozen Hyrule Castle on.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna be weird and give a bizarre answer:

Lysandre!

Think about it. His rants about the "filth" of society is seriously listened to and is seen as passionate from the game's professor. Despite his very dangerous rhetoric, he's an active member of the community. His cafe openly serves the region's terrorist groups and the authorities do nothing about it. Team Flare acts like one of the goofier Pokemon villains despite wanting to cause genocide. And at the end Professor Sycamore was all "He was so nice. We didn't see it coming"

Like if that's not biting social commentary on Nazism and how Western society isn't opposing them, I don't know what is.

Of course this all assuming that was the intention from the writers lol

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I like Birdo. Trans Nintendo character. Or at least according to one of the instruction booklets from back in the day and then never spoken of again, or something like that.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Despite Ultra Sun/Moon kinda making her worse, i still really love Lusamine and her villain status and her actions in Pokemon Sun/Moon. Easily one of the more unsettling Pokemon charcters.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked a lot of the stuff going on with Jin, Malos and Amalthus in Xenoblade 2. Also Lusamine in the original Pokemon Sun/Moon.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Tabuu, if you buy the whole "grown ups aren't supposed to play with toys" interpretation of his character.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I like Bowser but his motivation is... lock a Princess in a castle?

So it's N that just want to set free all Pokemon.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Jin, Lusamine and most recently
Edelgard
spring to mind for me.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, definitely Pokey/Porkey. He's essentially a child, and yet capable of horrifically evil acts. And it's not that he's actively malicious for its own sake, just indifferent towards the suffering of others and extremely selfish. He's a VERY realistic villain, and a very human one. He's honestly one of the best villains I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Tabuu, if you buy the whole "grown ups aren't supposed to play with toys" interpretation of his character.

I'm pretty confident that it's intentional. His trophy description comes close to giving it away. "[...] Born in a vastly foreign realm, he also possesses great leadership powers. Tabuu...No name is more suitable."

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jin is good but I always found his team up with Malos a little unbelievable after he was directly responsible for the whole Lora dying thing. It also sucked that Malos's last words to him weren't known.

I have a fondness for Black Knight in fire emblem, if only for that Armor Design + Theme alone. It helps that he's actually not a bad character story wise either.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People already said great ones like WW Ganondorf, Malos, N and Porky.

So I'll bring up Jergingha, from The Wonderful 101. While extremely evil looking (I mean, it's a giant brain) and controlling a group of villains, he actually has a fun motivation.

Jergingha is actually a robot from the future, created to keep peace. His world in the future was destroyed by the future organization that succeeds the heroic group Wonderful 100, making him go to past to exterminate the group from its root before they grow into the intergalactic empire they became in the future.

It's fun how this implies that possibly Jergingha's own actions is what makes them create the W101 organization (to defeat him) that will eventually transform into an evil empire.

CzMiCjhUcAA92Mf.jpg

He's also cool looking

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Ganondorf-Legend-of-Zelda-Wind-Waker-Villains-Art-Challenge-on-Game-Art-HQ.jpg

And i dont believe he will ever be topped, Nintendo isn't interested in creating complex human characters as much as iconic,reusable appealing videogame ones

Getting an old iconic stereotypically evil villain and giving it a tragic backstory and characterization isn't common and sometimes doesn't work, but Nintendo pulled it off brilliantly on The Wind Waker with just a few lines and acts, its what gives Ganon his humanity, obviously the same thing won't work anymore in the current storyline.
Its like if Toriyama came up with a sad story for Frieza and worked, not easy to pull off.

There are other good Nintendo examples but Ganondorf is on another level

Oct 25, 2017
Brittany the Lord of All Fruit and Vegetables from that game with the red and blue ant things you subjugate for collecting more Fruit and Vegetables.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
CI_NintendoSwitch_XenobladeChronicles2TtGC_scrn03_E3.png

Jin from Xenoblade 2/Torna is probably the best executed tragic main villain in years, especially because you actually have the chance to play as him.

ebYjXtJ.png

Lusamine on the other hand was just insane but the charismatic and fascinating kind of insane.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
latest

Alex, from Golden Sun.

Starts off as the first Mercury (Water) adept introduced. We later find out he was charged with guarding the Mercury lighthouse alongside his clan, but betrayed them to light the lighthouses instead.

During the second game, we find out that lighting the lighthouses might not be as bad as it seems. So is he a good guy after all?

Nope, he's a scheming, power hungry traitor to humanity who has no interest in saving the world, his only goal being to take the power of alchemy and the Golden Sun unto himself and become a god.

53ca6d9274d3a86b19da1ab4d60e2d65.jpg

He manipulates the major villains, and the heroes at times, without you ever knowing whose side he's truly on, or what his motives are. His mysterious nature is appealing, especially when it's revealed he's a lot simpler than he appears, and that all of that organized acting and scheming was for personal gain. It makes him work well as a villain because of how his motivations are gradually unraveled and raise questions throughout two games.

The fact that he's a water user (and apparently a very powerful one at that - one of the most powerful adepts we see in the series) is really cool too. He also has a direct relationship with who would otherwise be the most inconsequential member of the group, Mia, who is from the same clan and trained under the same master and is the same sort of adept as him.

AlexSolSanctum.png

He's a well executed villain with constant hooks thrown at the player to keep them invested in his story, a strong connection to a member of the main cast, and a perfect candidate for a big bad guy.

d8xmsw4-275b06a6-2896-4ecf-b600-422fe531c8a0.jpg

He's underrated, in my opinion.

Last edited: