Who else feels weird about shopping at stores owned by former Nazi German Soldiers (Aldi, Trader Joes, etc)?

Oct 27, 2017
Basically title question. There are multiple companies that are owned by Germans born in the Weimar republic that were conscripted into the Nazi military. Not all of them did war crimes, of course and most of them had no choice. However, I refuse to believe that at least some of them did not buy fully into the racial superiority bullshit and we're able to get away with it because of their young age.

Edit: I meat shopping God damnit. Could a mod edit the title please?

Last edited:

BDS

Oct 25, 2017
Just about every big company is owned by some bigoted dipshit or another. Ethical consumption, capitalism, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I’d much rather support the thousands of people that rely on paychecks cut by these people than feel bad about supporting a business (that is long established) owned by people who are already filthy rich that had really monstrous beliefs.

Dec 4, 2018
You don't go to places that were founded by ex (nazi)german soldier who fought against URSS who survived war because they might still be racist nazis?

Uhhh alright.

Dec 2, 2017
We could add Chanel to that list too right?
Yeah but Chanel is 100% Jewish owned these days. Coco Chanel's old business partner was smart enough to transfer his part of the business to a non-jewish friend before he fled Europe so Miss Chanel couldn't get her hands on it.

OP, if it makes you feel uneasy - just don't buy from them.

Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
I might be because its early on a Monday, but this got me good.

Honestly I don't even know who founded most the places I buy stuff at, and I've never thought to look it up. The only Aldi here is on the other side of town and I'm not making a half hour trip over there to save 10 cents on milk.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I definitely question where I purchase stuff from but not so much based on the past. I'm more uncomfortable when I'm aware of current questionable business practices or active CEOs who are trashy... even then I'm guilty of still buying stuff quite a bit of the time.

Nope, Karl Diebitsch, a SS Member did. Boss made working clothes back then and only started making suits and other fashionable stuff after the war. He was however a member of the Nazi Party.
Yeah but Chanel is 100% Jewish owned these days. Coco Chanel's old business partner was smart enough to transfer his part of the business to a non-jewish friend before he fled Europe so Miss Chanel couldn't get her hands on it.
Never knew the rest of the story for either of these two. Thanks to both of you.

Apr 13, 2018
Norway
This thread makes me feel weird
Every second I spend in here.
You see, some relative of the OP could be a nazi supporter, and it just doesn’t sit well with me, you know?

Oct 28, 2017
Basically title question. There are multiple companies that are owned by Germans born in the Weimar republic that were conscripted into the Nazi military. Not all of them did war crimes, of course and most of them had no choice. However, I refuse to believe that at least some of them did not buy fully into the racial superiority bullshit and we're able to get away with it because of their young age.

Adidas was run by the non nazi brother, Puma was run by his nazi brother that hated him. If anything, avoid Puma. (Or not, since they have nothing to do woth that nowadays).

And also, most of your favorite American companies have done some scummy shit much more recently.

Oct 25, 2017
D.C.
If it's okay to depend on Germany as a NATO partner today (it is) and recognize Angela Merkel as arguably the leader of the free world (that too), then it's okay to shop at Trader Joe's.

Or just, you know, stop drinking Fanta too.

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this is easier than boycotting companies for their current work practices. I’m going to stop purchasing from all companies whose original ceos could have fought for a fascist dictator at the beginning of last century. ... few get to keep buying Apple computer stuff guilt free.

OP
OP
Masoyama
Oct 27, 2017
If it's okay to depend on Germany as a NATO partner today (it is) and recognize Angela Merkel as arguably the leader of the free world (that too), then it's okay to shop at Trader Joe's.

Or just, you know, stop drinking Fanta too.
No one in Latin America ever thinks of Germany. The USA is still the culture and influence lead.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about all that. The the sanitation of the Wehrmacht isn't good
I'm not saying they are innocent by any means, but many people were drafted into the army (like on the Allies). It's like how there is a big difference between an American soldier who served in Iraq, and Dick Cheney. I'm not comparing the two wars, by the way, merely how soldiers on the ground can do horrible things and still be less horrible then the people in charge, or those eager to do it