• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically title question. There are multiple companies that are owned by Germans born in the Weimar republic that were conscripted into the Nazi military. Not all of them did war crimes, of course and most of them had no choice. However, I refuse to believe that at least some of them did not buy fully into the racial superiority bullshit and we're able to get away with it because of their young age.

Edit: I meat shopping God damnit. Could a mod edit the title please?

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just about every big company is owned by some bigoted dipshit or another. Ethical consumption, capitalism, etc.

OP
OP
Masoyama

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that almost no one working at any of these places were alive during Nazi germany.

I chose Aldi and trader Joe's because the owner fought in the Eastern front and is still alive.

Edit: NV the brothers are dead.

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd much rather support the thousands of people that rely on paychecks cut by these people than feel bad about supporting a business (that is long established) owned by people who are already filthy rich that had really monstrous beliefs.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
You don't go to places that were founded by ex (nazi)german soldier who fought against URSS who survived war because they might still be racist nazis?

Uhhh alright.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I might give it a passing thought, but then I move on with my life. I mean, what am I supposed to do? Aldi's a pretty great store.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't look up the history of Adidas
I only wear Nike Yeezys
tenor.gif

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I might be because its early on a Monday, but this got me good.

giphy.gif

Honestly I don't even know who founded most the places I buy stuff at, and I've never thought to look it up. The only Aldi here is on the other side of town and I'm not making a half hour trip over there to save 10 cents on milk.

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I definitely question where I purchase stuff from but not so much based on the past. I'm more uncomfortable when I'm aware of current questionable business practices or active CEOs who are trashy... even then I'm guilty of still buying stuff quite a bit of the time.

Nope, Karl Diebitsch, a SS Member did. Boss made working clothes back then and only started making suits and other fashionable stuff after the war. He was however a member of the Nazi Party.
Yeah but Chanel is 100% Jewish owned these days. Coco Chanel's old business partner was smart enough to transfer his part of the business to a non-jewish friend before he fled Europe so Miss Chanel couldn't get her hands on it.
Never knew the rest of the story for either of these two. Thanks to both of you.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
This thread makes me feel weird
Every second I spend in here.
You see, some relative of the OP could be a nazi supporter, and it just doesn't sit well with me, you know?

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I go where I feel the grocery price/quality is in my favor, and try not to look at the polics behind the companies.

turtle77

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have you ever bought something from IKEA?
The founder Ingvar Kamprad was a massive Nazi sympathizer in his youth

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Basically title question. There are multiple companies that are owned by Germans born in the Weimar republic that were conscripted into the Nazi military. Not all of them did war crimes, of course and most of them had no choice. However, I refuse to believe that at least some of them did not buy fully into the racial superiority bullshit and we're able to get away with it because of their young age.

Adidas was run by the non nazi brother, Puma was run by his nazi brother that hated him. If anything, avoid Puma. (Or not, since they have nothing to do woth that nowadays).

And also, most of your favorite American companies have done some scummy shit much more recently.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I do feel white nationalism surging through me everytime I drink fanta. Maybe I should stop...

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
If it's okay to depend on Germany as a NATO partner today (it is) and recognize Angela Merkel as arguably the leader of the free world (that too), then it's okay to shop at Trader Joe's.

Or just, you know, stop drinking Fanta too.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this is easier than boycotting companies for their current work practices. I'm going to stop purchasing from all companies whose original ceos could have fought for a fascist dictator at the beginning of last century. ... few get to keep buying Apple computer stuff guilt free.

OP
OP
Masoyama

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's okay to depend on Germany as a NATO partner today (it is) and recognize Angela Merkel as arguably the leader of the free world (that too), then it's okay to shop at Trader Joe's.

Or just, you know, stop drinking Fanta too.

No one in Latin America ever thinks of Germany. The USA is still the culture and influence lead.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about all that. The the sanitation of the Wehrmacht isn't good

I'm not saying they are innocent by any means, but many people were drafted into the army (like on the Allies). It's like how there is a big difference between an American soldier who served in Iraq, and Dick Cheney. I'm not comparing the two wars, by the way, merely how soldiers on the ground can do horrible things and still be less horrible then the people in charge, or those eager to do it