• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
ST has some really good lightsaber battles.

There's a real weight to them.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The PT aren't fights, its dancing with glowsticks.

And because the plot and characters are show shit, I there is NO weight during the fight.

I feel more emotion and suspense watching this adorable little old guy turn

old-farts.gif

then I feel with ANY fight in the PT.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
he is a jedi master. what did you expect him to do?

these are individuals who can use force telekinises to augment their speed, strength, and durability while shooting projectiles or just moving shit with their mind. why would they move just as quick as a regular person? how is that a threat to anyone?

I was not expecting literally every person in the Jedi order to be sword masters, even less a "badass" Yoda lol

Was Yoda getting artheritis after landing in Dagoba ever explained in the canon?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i am confused as to why weight matters when you're swinging a super light object. have you ever swung around a plastic bat? a light saber is lighter and cuts through air better.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prequel duels are great and exactly as they should be. Two sides who have been practicing for a thousand years now at the peak of their craft. Without real wars to fight, of course lightsaber techniques would become a refined art.

"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."

People who don't understand this and just want it to be like the OT have dull imaginations.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately lightsaber battles are mostly only as interesting as the story context in which they take place. So no, I don't prefer the fights in the prequels. Jerking off over fight choreography has its limits.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i am confused as to why weight matters when you're swinging a super light object. have you ever swung around a plastic bat? a light saber is lighter and cuts through air better.
Bodies have weight when you're swinging something with intent. The lack of it makes it look lacking intent and just for show.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked the the ones in Empires and ROTJ the best. The prequels, while great, often came across as obviously choreographed. I mean, you can write it away as saying they could sense their enemies swing with the force, but still...Looks off. Sequel Trilogy is nothing to write home about.

Best saber fight continues to be Luke/Vader on Cloud City

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I was not expecting literally every person in the Jedi order to be sword masters, even less a "badass" Yoda lol

Was Yoda getting artheritis after landing in Dagoba ever explained in the canon?
it's an organization of basically super heroes. you'd think the reason they carved such a name and organization that expands the galaxy would be competent and even excelling in warfare.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Really liked the Prequels Lightsaber fights, they were a lot of fun.

ST/OT had some pretty fun fights too.

Overall I'm just happy whenever I see a lightsaber fight, no matter how it looks like.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Bodies have weight when you're swinging something with intent. The lack of it makes it look lacking intent and just for show.
have you swung a super light object? it's pretty easier to move it quickly without tiring yourself. a lot of small rapiers or even fencing swords don't exhaust or add a whole lot of weight. now add super strength and it's even way less.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I GREATLY prefer the new light sabers and the Vastly improved combat choreography that has come with them. It's not been perfect but the new choreography really shows how dated the older films look. Though OT combat style has its own charm as its intensity and drama makes up for its lack of aggression and displayed skill. Prequel combat was jammed up for children, IMO.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Prequel saber fights were pretty rad overall. The Qui-Gon / Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul is probably my favorite in the series.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I do, by a long shot. But as the animated shows have proven there's more than enough space for both styles to be used effectively in the series

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like all the prequel trilogy lightsaber fights, but the ones I do I probably like the most overall. I really don't enjoy those movies overall, but the final one from TPM and parts of the final RotS fight are really good.

The three-way TPM fight was good in terms of choreography, pacing, and tension. It lived up to how the Jedi and Sith had been built up over the years. It felt more like a wushu movie final fight than the fencing duels from the OT, which is a great way to show how things changed. Moments like the (random) forcefield gates separating the fighters, seeing Obi-Wan's impatience, Maul stalking back and forth like a bull as Qui-Gon meditating ... that made a for a great fight. Something more akin to the final fight from the anime film Sword of the Stranger.

The OT fights with Luke vs Vader are of course great, though I just don't have preference for them—the ESB Vader fight still impresses me with how it holds up.

I really like the ones we've seen in the PT, including the Kylo vs Luke encounter. The throne room's fight did a good job carrying the tension between Rey and Kylo through the whole scene.

And re: pointing out the lack of practicality of the PT fights: TLJ's throne room fight is full of contrivance and impractical moves. However, while the choreography isn't refined and sloppy at points when scrutinised, the combat scenarios/moments are cool and they carry that tension throughout—it's a rare series moment where Jedi and Sith fight side-by-side and that kept me on the edge of my seat

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The fights in the OT, and to some extent the ST, have more psychological heft to them. The fights themselves are both telling a story via the fight and serving as a catharsis for the tension that's been building during the movie's narrative. The fights are important to the characters and something about the characters is revealed via the battle. There's very little wasted movement.

The lightsaber battles in the prequels are more flashy and acrobatic, yet ultimately hollow. There's very little build-up to them and the characters are only participating because they're supposed to. They're full of wasted movement and flourishes, unnecessary jumps, and nothing much is revealed about the characters via their battles. They mostly serve as visually dazzling action scenes, rather than a dramatic storytelling device supporting characterization and the narrative.

The only two of note are Anakin's battle with Dooku in ROTS, because it actually reveals where Anakin's head is at at this point, and the final battle between Obi-Wan and Vader. This battle suffers more from execution than anything else. Vader should be absolutely trying to kill Obi-Wan with a mix of brutality and telekinetic force mastery, while Obi-Wan is hesitant to kill his friend and is mostly on the defensive during the entire battle. He should be just barely hanging on and finding a way to bring his friend back to the light until the last possible moment when he finally loses hope, an opportunity suddenly arises, and he's forced to "kill" him and make a narrow escape.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I wish we got a happy medium. Not as Circe de soleil as the prequels. But something way better than what we got. That snoke battle was booorring.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Duel of the Fates/Episode I was the only good one I thought because of Darth Maul. The others were too overdone or sadly under done. The Jedi all fighting on Geonosis was a giant bust.

The Anakin/Obi-Wan one got stupid at some point I thought they were going to go through the Taco Bell drive thru while continuing to parry each other.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
I love how OP can't even be bothered with the female protagonists name. Fuck off with that shit man.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
More finesse as if it was art? Yeah that's what over the top choreography does.

I don't have any problem with anyone liking it but for me personally it's too "showy", doesn't seem very practical and it only breaks down further when you actually stop to analyze it at all.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The silly CG scene with Yoda suddenly doing backflips? lol

Hell yeah, was just pure fun. I was sports-entertained. Palpatine vs Yoda was more of a force power struggle though.

More finesse as if it was art? Yeah that's what over the top choreography does.

I don't have any problem with anyone liking it but for me personally it's too "showy", doesn't seem very practical and it only breaks down further when you actually stop to analyze it at all.

I understand the "too showy" part, it was a very, very constant annoying thing for a lot of people when the prequels came out. The part about breaking down when you stop to analyze it, I mean that could be said of a shitton of movies. Great ones, bad ones, ok ones. It's still pretty funny to see Obi-Wan react to kicks that clearly don't connect when you pause or watch slowly.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
PT fights are waaayyyy more entertaining. Mainly TPM / ROTS. Dooku fight in ATOC was shit..

You can thank John Williams for making the Rotj Luke vader fight epic. Otherwise the other 2 fights in the OT are lame, particularly the obi vader one. ESB duel is ok, but mainly because of the dialog, not choreography.

Maul / qui gon tattoine, maul / obi /qui gon, grievous /obi and obi /anakin are the most entertaining fights in the franchise.

I can barely remember the one in TFA so won't comment

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I like them in general but the Attack of the Clones finale is shockingly bad.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
One of the reasons why I loved the prequels if not the main reason

It had way better lightsaber fights than the OT and Sequel trilogies

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Too light, floaty and choreographed. They're great spectacle but just felt off to me. Not to say the OT or ST are perfect, but I prefer the more weighty and meaty fights they featured, as well as their overall use in the narrative.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely

I'm guessing it's maybe because the choreography was under someone other than Lucas's direction? Didn't the guy who played Darth Maul do all of it?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's because between the original and prequel trilogies, someone told Lucas lightsabers shouldn't have weight (all in the hilt) so it changed the way you fight with them

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
It is intentional. In the sequels they have no one to train them to fight with a lightsaber. In the originals, it's mostly old tired men fighting, and in the prequels they spend all day practicing lightsaber fighting.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This is trying to kill someone with a sword

This is trying to show off with a sword

While it doesn't reach the level of the last fight in Drunken Master 2 (though nothing does), I liken the episode I fight to martial arts movies like that where the display of skill is tied into the story and character motivations, rather than satisfying fencing experts. Or even something like professional wrestling—it's fake and impractical, but if the combat is sold well, it can be genuinely compelling.

I don't remember or even notice a lot of the "aiming for the other's sword" moments in episode I or "stuntmen stalling for lead actors to hit their marks" in episode VIII. I just see Obi-Wan simultaneously facing the fact Qui-Gon was taken out and he now has to fight someone who could take on two Jedi at once by himself. I remember Rey and Kylo back to back after wondering how Rey could possibly get out alive without help. That's the stuff that matters most and takes precedence over practicality imo.

I really didn't like anything in AotC or most of the stuff in RotS though. Can't choose one group over another wholesale.

I love how OP can't even be bothered with the female protagonists name. Fuck off with that shit man.

Yeah, that sucks—probably a thread made in bad faith.

I think the prequels finally got it right with the Anakin vs. Obi Wan fight. There's the one pointless twirling part that everyone makes fun of, but the rest is really good.

The twirling moment always read as them each having the same fight style and continuously intuiting the other's attack. I'm gif form it looks goofy, but in the middle of a fight where most blows involve lightsabers clashing, it was tense in that moment.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The prequel light sabre fights felt so over-choreographed. It was too much. No fight in the series can compare to Like and Vader in Empire.

Kohinoor

Aug 21, 2019
I'm not really a prequel hater, but I think the Original Trilogy fights had so much more atmosphere and suspense. I think they were much more compelling.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
klyo and the girl - the next exciting installment in the star wars saga, brought to you by director luc besson.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely

I'm guessing it's maybe because the choreography was under someone other than Lucas's direction? Didn't the guy who played Darth Maul do all of it?

Lucas was fully in charge over the prequels as their producer, writer, and director. He wanted fancy, elegant duels to showcase the Jedi and the Sith at the top of their game.

Nick Gillard was the choreographer/stunt coordinator for the prequel duels though. He has a cameo in RotS as one of the Jedi (Cin Drallig) that Anakin fights in the temple, seen via hologram by Obi-Wan.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The girl comment is pretty gross. Not to say I'm perfect, but if you're going to start a topic at least look up her name. Weak shit.