• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. They're so choreographed. They're painful to watch.

I think you mean OVER-Choreographed.
I feel like the closer they are to a teenage boy's power fantasy, the worse they get.

The most Jedi moment in the entire series is when Luke throws his lightsabre away.
73ae792be02edb430d9486e23f3b0666.gif

Obi-wan REALLY should've told him you can deflect force lighting with it...

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I actually detest them, but to each his own. It's just not what I look for in a lightsaber fight and instead the focus is on overly produced choreography.

Duel of the Fates is a strong enough piece to make Ep 1's fight tolerable for me though. It's better than what came after.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the sequel trilogy has the best shot and choreographed fights because they have weight a really visceral feeling.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I love all eras of lightsaber choreography for different reasons. They all have something different that makes them special.

I love prequels because it really feels like Jedi and sith at the height of their power giving it their all by giving into the force and letting it dictate their actions. It feels like they enter this flow state that I really appreciate. It feels like they've trained for years to have different forms and techniques.

Other eras absolutely have things that make them special as well.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The PT fights are too choreographed but I love that they're lengthy and wars of attrition. You also get to marinate in the music.

The OT lightsaber fights between Luke and Vader are both very good. It needed a bit more choreographing and some added speed imo

The ST fights look visually the most stunning but....they're also so clunky. Kylo swings a lightsaber like a baseball bat with absolutely no finesse. Same with Rey. They act like they're fighting with Cloud's Buster Sword. They're also way too short so they're on the other side of the PT for me.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Are you me? Because this is exactly what I was thinking of.

I was in my late teens/early 20s when the prequels were released, but it fit the mold of what I envisioned Jedi to be, kind of a take on eastern warrior monks/martial artists. I loved the improvised striking that was happening between clashes, and I loved the wire style acrobatics.

It's not to say that the sequences weren't corny in some places and that they were perfect, but it just personally appeals to me more than the slower paced "realistic" combat of the new films.

But, you know, I'm a child, so...

Yeah I love that kind of choreography. And the resurgence and popularizing of that style in the early 00s was amazing for my teenage self. Crouching Tiger, Hero, even The Matrix had flashy dance-like choreography with the legendary Yuen Woo Ping.

Say what you will about realism, I'll take this style any day.

tumblr_otgjb6xhIJ1rmrpdmo1_400.gifv

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I love the light saber fights in the PT. They're been pretty terrible in the ST. They're bad in the OT as well, but I give those a pass since they came out in the 70s & 80s and VFX wasn't as great back then.

Also, I just assumed the Jedi were more experienced with the light saber in the PT and by the time the OT and ST happen no one is as skilled.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Star wars the space samurai film is much better than star wars the space wuxia. Especially in one on one fights, keeping it simple ensures there less weird looking moments that need to be explained by some excuse that they "sense each others moves". Obviously the throne room battle still has a lot of leading and weird things you notice when you slow it down but that's the nature of stunts these days especially in American blockbuster films.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an excellent subversion/duel.

the whole scene is way better. Obi wan starts with his aggressive prequel stance, but as Maul is gettin ready he calms himself and enters his hyper defensive OT stance. Its an amazing way to connect the two Obi Wans.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The Phanton Menace definitely has the best choreographed lightsaber duel and music of anything Star Wars.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I like them all.

Vader's physical limitations and Luke not having "proper" saber training and being self taught lent itself well to the slower style but still with an air of discipline.

The prequel era are the Sith and Jedi at the top of their game. Trained from childhood and with thousands of years of refinement that has turned "proper" saber combat into its own artform, it IS a dance. It's masters of the game letting the force guide their movements into flowing like water.

In the sequels you have Rey who's a scrappy amateur and Kylo who's rage filled and has no discipline so they end up swinging at people like maniacs. Hologram Luke in that short sequence was showing off some prequel like dancing with how he was evading Kylo.

So yeah I like them all.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the prequels is that none of the strikes look like they would ever hit them

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Proper saber fights are really fucking hard to do. OT fights are kind of lame because they look like normal humans swinging sticks at each other. Prequel fights are kind of lame because they look like choreographed dance moves. Neither match the fight sequences you build in your imagination.

It's a careful balance. I think my ideal fight sequence is a mix of ROTJ (vader vs luke) + something like Faora in Man of Steel. Very fast and decisive but they still look like they're trying to kill each other rather than swing at each others lightsabers.

edit: the best fights we've gotten are still obi-wan vs maul in SW:rebels and the various fights in blur animation CGI trailers. It's way harder to do it with actors.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I mean, I loved Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul as a kid, but growing up I realized it was pretty-looking visual noise. Those PT fights lack emotional depth.

Obi-Wan vs Anakin had some emotional depth, but it goes on for so damn long that is dissipates.

And breh, Rey vs Kylo was fucking awesome what you talking about lol.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like them all.

Vader's physical limitations and Luke not having "proper" saber training and being self taught lent itself well to the slower style but still with an air of discipline.

The prequel era are the Sith and Jedi at the top of their game. Trained from childhood and with thousands of years of refinement that has turned "proper" saber combat into its own artform, it IS a dance. It's masters of the game letting the force guide their movements into flowing like water.

In the sequels you have Rey who's a scrappy amateur and Kylo who's rage filled and has no discipline so they end up swinging at people like maniacs. Hologram Luke in that short sequence was showing off some prequel like dancing with how he was evading Kylo.

So yeah I like them all.

Pretty much 1:1 with my feelings as well. They intentionally reflect the level of proficiency the characters posses and the saber fights communicate things about the characters from a mental and contemporaneous stand point. I've always appreciated that.

Oct 27, 2017
Darth Maul vs Obi Wan and Qui Gon is by far the best. I don't care if it's not realistic or if they are not really trying to hit each other. It's a movie. The fight was beautifully choreographed and performed.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
1. The flashy fights with a lot of dodges make sense considering in the lore when two people talented in the force are fighting they can both predict each other's movements with the force so it's less a battle of physically hitting the other person but a mental game of near misses.

2. The sequel fights make no sense, the blade of a lightsaber should have no weight, yet they are wielded like broadswords.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. The prequel fights looked great. Yoda fight was the only one I didn't care for. The new stuff just looks awkward and heavy. You would think you wouldn't use heavy swings as a lightsaber is a weightless sword more or less, would be like fencing.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they were straight ass, let's be real

the best saber battles rely on the emotional weight of what's going on with the characters not some flippy floaty bullshit

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both the prequels and the current films have notable issues with fight choreography. The prequels are almost too over the top and fancy but the current films just have some very limp fights that make a lot of cardinal sins like dude's just standing around waitng their turn to swing.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like the slower combat of ESB+ROTJ. Feels like they fighting with feelings so it and extension of the character and not just waving it about in flashy but pointless motions.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hell naw, the Prequels turn lightsabers into glowy wiffle bats. No weight, no power. Not to mention the inane acrobatics where everyone leaves themselves wide open for no reason. I laughed when Obi-Wan was finally like "umm, no" in RotS and chopped off three of Anakin's limbs in one go when he tried that idiotic flip.

The Sequels are by far the best in terms of lightsaber action. The choreography is both dynamic and believable, and the sabers look and sound incredibly perilous. It's truly not even close.

I have a good feeling that Rise of Skywalker will seal the deal.

Last edited:

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
they were straight ass, let's be real

the best saber battles rely on the emotional weight of what's going on with the characters not some flippy floaty bullshit

The happy medium is the emotional weight of Anakin vs Obi-Wan in ROTS + the choreography. That's one of the best fights of the any of the trilogies. I think anything with Yoda, Sidious, or Dooku is just goofy.

Please no one reply with the fucking spinning gif.

Hell naw, the Prequels turn lightsabers into glowy wiffle bats. No weight, no power. The Sequels are by far the best in terms of lightsaber action. It's truly not even close.

Sequels are just forgettable. Choreography is meh and there isn't much emotional weight behind it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I wonder how much of the hate for the Prequel fights is just an extension of hate for the Prequels themselves?

Like I don't know I don't see these critiques for over the top Wuxia style fighting often otherwise. Like if people watched this outside of Star Wars would you till dislike it? Just wondering.

I like the over the top fights but the slower paced sequel fights are great too. Can't really say which I prefer.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I feel this way as well. Obi Wan vs Anakin in Sith was an incredible battle.
The melodramatic setting was a huge misfire. Their duel should have been up close and personal, with all the focus on the characters. And it shouldn't have been intercut with the Yoda and Sidious variety show.

There's a reason Luke and Vader's throne room battle in RotJ is still the best fight in the whole saga. It didn't need a bombastic setting or crazy gymnastics to make an unforgettable impression.

Obi-wan told us that Anakin was like a brother to him, so we're supposed to feel for them both.
From his point of view the Jedi are evil!

Anakin was really torn up in that scene. So emotional.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
what emotional weight? shit was light as a feather

Obiwan discovered Anakin and trained him for a decade. They're as close as it gets. What else comes close to that? Rey knowing of Kylo's existence for three days?

The climax of TFA ,and TLJ's Kylo/Rey and Kylo/Luke fights, have meh choreography and not much emotional weight? What in the world am I reading? Are you sure you're not talking about AotC?

Kylo/Luke has a ton of emotional weight, but I wouldn't really consider it a saber fight. Not that takes away from it as a scene. As for TFA -- no, not really. Does Rey know literally anything about Kylo besides the fact that he's an angry dude with a lightsaber? Correct me if I'm wrong, its been a while since I've watched it. It's a very pretty scene with the glows of the lightsabers reflecting off the snow though.