• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The melodramatic setting was a huge misfire. Their duel should have been up close and personal, with all the focus on the characters. And it shouldn't have been intercut with with the Yoda and Sidious variety show.

There's a reason Luke and Vader's throne room battle in RotJ is still the best fight in the whole saga. It didn't need a bombastic setting or crazy gymnastics to make an unforgettable impression.
This I can agree with despite liking the prequel fights.

The constant arena changing made it feel like a video game fight with stages.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
All the prequel GIFs in the OP besides Anakin and Obi-Wan have no substance behind them.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan don't speak a word with Darth Maul. Anakin hasn't even had a real conversation with Dooku.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I think the sequel trilogy has my favorites overall. They've got a bit of a big European sword vibe, while the OT was inspired by samurai movies and the PT was kinda swashbuckling.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obiwan discovered Anakin and trained him for a decade. They're as close as it gets. What else comes close to that? Rey knowing of Kylo's existence for three days?

Kylo/Luke has a ton of emotional weight, but I wouldn't really consider it a saber fight. Not that takes away from it as a scene. As for TFA -- no, not really. Does Rey know literally anything about Kylo besides the fact that he's an angry dude with a lightsaber? Correct me if I'm wrong, its been a while since I've watched it. It's a very pretty scene with the glows of the lightsabers reflecting off the snow though.
I mean he killed the man who offered her a future and mind tortured her for information. It wasn't Luke vs Vader but I'd say there was still a connection.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the prequel GIFs in the OP besides Anakin and Obi-Wan have no substance behind them.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan don't speak a word with Darth Maul. Anakin hasn't even had a real conversation with Dooku.
Ok but why do you need that to like a sword fight?

I'm not saying I don't appreciate emotional weight but sometimes you just want a cool over the top sword fight.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Ok but why do you need that to like a sword fight?

I'm not saying I don't appreciate emotional weight but sometimes you just want a cool over the top sword fight.
Because it's no where near as interesting. All the OT fights had real emotional weight behind them, and so do the ST fights. I enjoy the prequel fights too but it really is an aspect they're inferior in.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the prequel fight scenes were just everyone trying to stunt on everyone else. Hence all the flipping and whatnot, I prefer it to be honest.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean he killed the man who offered her a future and mind tortured her for information. It wasn't Luke vs Vader but I'd say there was still a connection.

That's not any different than faceless bad guy vs good guy (aka darth maul vs qui-gon/obi-wan). Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that -- but at that point the choreography is really all ya got.

literally anything else that actually conveys its interpersonal relationships well or at all

Such as??

Because it's no where near as interesting. All the OT fights had real emotional weight behind them, and so do the ST fights. I enjoy the prequel fights too but it really is an aspect they're inferior in.

You're definitely correct in regards to most of them. Qui-gon vs Maul, anyone vs Dooku, Yoda vs Sidious, etc. dont have much weight to them.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

literally anything else. those movies failed so badly with anything feeling human. like, MJ stretching out at the end of space jam has more emotional weight than the ani obi fight. obviously everything from the OT including the doinky ass obi ani fight from a new hope. poetry indeed. like, literally anything else. rambo gizmo at the end of gremlins 2.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Fuck no. These fights are grotesquely overlong, pointlessly flashy to where intent completely flies out the window, and all end in the stupidest fucking way because they have no way out of their own absurdity.

These aren't people trying to hurt eachother, these are people trying to fill time.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is like significantly smaller than Dooku, how else is he gonna overcome the height and reach disadvantage in a sword fight?

I think the point is he shouldn't have been made to have a lightsaber duel in the first place. He's the one Jedi you can leave on the bench and still feel his immensely powerful presence and impact.

Oct 25, 2017
Choreography in these cinematic sword fights is bad, even when the choreography itself is "good." The only Star Wars fights I get the sense anyone wants to strike anyone is ESB, ROTJ and TFA. TFA fight in particular is really well done in having a believable fight despite being stage play.

Like if Phantom Menance fight was a short film put out by Lucasfilm yeah it'd be cool, but in the context of a story with people and emotions running high and stakes, it's just jarring.
He is like significantly smaller than Dooku, how else is he gonna overcome the height and reach disadvantage in a sword fight?
I'm beginning to think having Yoda fight with a baby lightsaber WASN'T such a good idea.... whoda thunk

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
But it wasn't good because now he has to jump off the walls just to do the equivalent of a human moving their arms.
I don't know about the new canon, but the old canon, he and Qui Gon practiced a lightsaber form that utilized a lot of jumping, aerial attacks and acrobatics, and lore wise, it fits him since he is a small target to begin with, and he can compensate for his lack of reach and height. It didn't benefit, Qui Gon cause he' a pretty tall ass dude which is why he got smoked by Maul.

Of course, outside of Lore, yea they gave him a baby ass lightsaber cause it's cute and also dumb.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The climax of TFA ,and TLJ's Kylo/Rey and Kylo/Luke fights, have meh choreography and not much emotional weight? What in the world am I reading? Are you sure you're not talking about AotC?

Yeah, the choreography is pretty bad for those two.

Luke does a weird Matrix dodge and dodges a few lightsaber strikes from Ben. The end. That scene wasn't about the fight at all.

The Ben-Rey fight is weird because there is 0 finesse even when Rey taps into the Force. They're just using them as clubs.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
He shouldn't ever be ninja fighting.

He should just always have guards with him to do the actual fighting game.

And if he was forced to fight, he is damn space wizard, he should be so good with the force he doesn't need a silly weapon.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
literally anything else. those movies failed so badly with anything feeling human. like, MJ stretching out at the end of space jam has more emotional weight than the ani obi fight. obviously everything from the OT including the doinky ass obi ani fight from a new hope. poetry indeed. like, literally anything else. rambo gizmo at the end of gremlins 2.

Well that's a very compelling argument but it seems like you have a deep hatred for anything related to the prequels. Which is fine (if kind of weird), but there's probably not much discussion to be had here. I hope they make a gremlins cinematic universe for you.

Yoda jumping around like a super anime ninja is still dumb as crap

Both Yoda and Sidious should have been beyond using lightsabers for combat. 100%.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I remember going to the movies with my friends way back in the day when ROTS came out and I've never watched any SW movies before, I didn't pay attention to half the movie but when Anakin and Obiwan started fighting I was like oh....and since then I made it my mission to get aquianted with all the movies

I appreciate both styles, but damn is Anakin vs Obi fun to watch

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a very compelling argument but it seems like you have a deep hatred for anything related to the prequels. Which is fine (if kind of weird), but there's probably not much discussion to be had here. I hope they make a gremlins cinematic universe for you.

they're just bad movies, there are worse things

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I watched Revenge of the Sith for the first time in like a decade yesterday. The lightsabre fights were overchoreographed nonsense with some shockingly bad cgi.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I guess they're technically more impressive, but I derive little pleasure from them.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love that kind of choreography. And the resurgence and popularizing of that style in the early 00s was amazing for my teenage self. Crouching Tiger, Hero, even The Matrix had flashy dance-like choreography with the legendary Yuen Woo Ping.

Say what you will about realism, I'll take this style any day.

tumblr_otgjb6xhIJ1rmrpdmo1_400.gifv

Yup. I grew up on Shaw Brother's martial arts flicks, so I love that type of choreography. I enjoy the prequel fights.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I wonder how much of the hate for the Prequel fights is just an extension of hate for the Prequels themselves?

Like I don't know I don't see these critiques for over the top Wuxia style fighting often otherwise. Like if people watched this outside of Star Wars would you till dislike it? Just wondering.

I like the over the top fights but the slower paced sequel fights are great too. Can't really say which I prefer.

I think the disconnect is that not what lightsaber battles were.

Your right. If it were a generic action movie with out the legacy of what lightsaber duels looked like to two generations of fans, it probably be viewed much better. People do like wuxia style action, look at the Matrix for example.

But it's not Star Wars, where the original duels were more akin to Japanese movie samurai fights.

The fight choreography is serviceable for wuxia style. But it is just odd in Star Wars.

It would be like if Ant Man suddenly started suddenly doing Capoeria and taking down tons of guys that waym

Or Worf on Star Trek suddenly took a sumo wrestler pose and tackled a Borg with a series of sumo strikes.

It takes you out of what has been established (Antman uses generic self defense with his growing and shrinking powers. Worf uses batleth, phasers and Kung fu like palm strikes) and makes you go "Wait what?"

I was 19 when the Phantom Menace came out and I remember to this day how I reacted to the Darth Maul v Qui Gon/Obi Wan duel. "Wow this is so cool. Wow... Um... Why did Obi-Wan fight like this against Vader."

And I did appreciate the fight from an artistic standpoint. The choreography is solid. But it's not Star Wars. At least not to me.

That isn't to say there isn't any place for more complex or stylistic duels. But they have to be in the realm of the already established. It's why the Obiwan v Maul on Tattoonie in Rebels works. It has the style of the prelude but the weight and deliberate motion of the OT.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the disconnect is that not what lightsaber battles were.

Your right. If it were a generic action movie with out the legacy of what lightsaber duels looked like to two generations of fans, it probably be viewed much better. People do like wuxia style action, look at the Matrix for example.

But it's not Star Wars, where the original duels were more akin to Japanese movie samurai fights.

The fight choreography is serviceable for wuxia style. But it is just odd in Star Wars.

It would be like if Ant Man suddenly started suddenly doing Capoeria and taking down tons of guys that waym

Or Worf on Star Trek suddenly took a sumo wrestler pose and tackled a Borg with a series of sumo strikes.

It takes you out of what has been established (Antman uses generic self defense with his growing and shrinking powers. Worf uses batleth, phasers and Kung fu like palm strikes) and makes you go "Wait what?"

I was 19 when the Phantom Menace came out and I remember to this day how I reacted to the Darth Maul v Qui Gon/Obi Wan duel. "Wow this is so cool. Wow... Um... Why did Obi-Wan fight like this against Vader."

And I did appreciate the fight from an artistic standpoint. The choreography is solid. But it's not Star Wars. At least not to me.

That isn't to say there isn't any place for more complex or stylistic duels. But they have to be in the realm of the already established. It's why the Obiwan v Maul on Tattoonie in Rebels works. It has the style of the prelude but the weight and deliberate motion of the OT.
You know what that's fair and I can see your point.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone posted the Anakin & Obi-Wan twirling their lightsabers gif yet? Because, if not, someone needs to

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love that kind of choreography. And the resurgence and popularizing of that style in the early 00s was amazing for my teenage self. Crouching Tiger, Hero, even The Matrix had flashy dance-like choreography with the legendary Yuen Woo Ping.

Say what you will about realism, I'll take this style any day.

tumblr_otgjb6xhIJ1rmrpdmo1_400.gifv
The difference is that, while they look flashy, they also look like their strikes are trying to connect with their opponent. The PT duels are just really bad about not looking at all like they're aiming for one another

To reiterate:

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yes I loved it. Made the universe feel that much larger knowing there are folks that can do shit like that!

It also wouldn't make sense to have lightsaber duels at that level in the OT and St.

Last edited:

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Yoda vs Dooku is the worst finale fight of any movie in the series other than maybe A New Hope itself but Maul vs Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan has franchise-icon level choreography and set design. I feel like the Plinkett suggestion that there's no "emotion" in that fight is one of the greatest exaggerations I've seen parroted, given that the entire Qui-Gon-less segment of the fight shows a whole lot more fury in the body acting than is given credit for.

Oct 25, 2017
You know how pressure hoses aren't heavy but when you turn on the water you've gotta struggle a bit to keep it steady because of all the water blasting out?
I think it's supposed to be like that, the beams energy is supposed to make is unwieldy.

I don't know how I've never considered this before, this is brilliant.

Thanks for sharing this has levelled up my lightsaber playfighting one entire level.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I don't know how I've never considered this before, this is brilliant.

Thanks for sharing this has levelled up my lightsaber playfighting one entire level.
Thing was when I was 7, my friend and I would do light Saber duels with baseball bat's, so that's how I have always thought of them. Not literally baseball bat's, but things with real weight to them.

I mean it is a small tube generating such a huge amount of plasma energy. It's like a road flare times a million. And even road flares push back after ignited.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I understand why people don't like all the flips and twirls but I will never not love tiny ninja Yoda. That was great and I will always defend it.

Plus I'm pretty sure it inspired this which I also love for how gloriously dumb it is.
457d2d2281976e2447243041ca5ff27e.png

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Prequel fights showed how powerful and awe inspiring Jedis could be which is why I love them.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
The ones in the prequel are objectively superior and way more fun to watch.

The new ones are slower because there aren't any decent Jedi left.