• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
The saber fights seem to have more finesse in the prequels. It was as if it really was an art. I can't help but notice the roughness of Klyo and Rey, almost amateurish. Not sure if thats intentional or not. I don't know. Obi, Anakin, Yoda would have cleaned streets against these fools. Even Darth Maul would have made Kylo sweat.

tenor.gif

UnfitSmartArmyworm-size_restricted.gif

cca06980073245f359e5d9103fc88e05.gif

a18c7656662362b88f409b5a57c98a52.gif

vs

MediumBewitchedAfricanrockpython-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The prequels are just pretty lightshows.
At least the final GIF has weight in the fighting.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the prequels have some of the best lightsaber fights.
But the OT and sequels also have some great scenes. Vader vs. Luke in Empire is the most atmospheric one and Throne Room in Episode 8 the most stylish.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's worse in the prequels. just twirling light sabers and they're allergic to aiming for body parts; it's always striking to hit the other person's lightsaber even when there's a clear opening for cutting a limb off or whatever.

mrjohill

Oct 25, 2017
I've always liked them more, but that era is always portrayed as Jedi at the top of their martial prowess.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Qui-gon/Obi-wan vs Darth Maul was fantastic

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
They peaked too early with the Darth Maul fight. It seems like all the rest were trying capture the same speed and intensity, but they just couldn't match it. Instead, they just seem like a lot of incoherent "busy-ness."

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I actually like the flashy absurd lightsaber action in the prequels and the Clone Wars cartoon, but the sequels aren't bad, either. The throne room fight in TLJ is masterful.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
The prequels were all flash. It seemed like their whole plan was to just have a playful, childlike game of sword fight. Much prefer the combat in the OT and ST

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
The OT fights are really slow in comparison and not nearly as well choreographed, but I guess that makes sense as Luke never got any formal training and Vader was more machine than man. In the PT, the Jedi were allegedly trained in lightsaber combat and forms, so they were better at it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're fine, but there's a happy medium that the ST films and shows like Rebels have managed to reach where the lightsaber fights are fast while still having realistic weight to them.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah it was pretty bitchin. maybe one of the three movies could've done with a "slow, silent, muted" duel to tone it down a bit but i don't believe "fans" didn't dork out over some of those fights

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
OT and ST fights are so boring you almost forget these folks are super powered beings. like, kylo can stop a laser midair but he can't just crush her knee caps?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I liked them, I don't prefer them. That level of lightsaber skill was basically extinct by the time of the original trilogy (and likely died with Anakin) so it was interesting seeing such fast paced, graceful, dance-like dueling at the time. We were watching masters of their craft go at it after decades of training.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also reminder that we're getting a motion-capture lightsaber fight between Ahsoka and Maul in Clone Wars season 7 where Ray Park returned to do the mocap for Maul.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I vastly prefer the weightiness of the sequels.

However, aren't Light Sabers not supposed to like weight anything? So wouldn't dumb flashiness kinda make more sense then swinging them like actual swords?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like both styles work. The flashier fighting fit in an era where the Jedi were more codified and established. It was like the "golden age" of dueling, whereas the later films are more utilitarian.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Weightless garbage.

Very little emotion or depth to them, over-choreographed and nonsensical even if the choreography is nice sometimes.

For all the problems the new trilogy has I think one of the things it does well is an evolution of the light saber combat seen in the original trilogy. It is just a little more flashy and a little more interesting, but still has a weight and feeling to it, it actually seems like emotion is being expressed.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think what I liked in the prequels is that they used the force a bit more during battles.

So it felt a bit more impressive.

I like the visceral battle of Rey and Kylo in TFA. A lot.

OT was great in ROTJ, the rest was more iconic and visually stunning color work than actual "battle".

I think the last Jedi was a mixed bag on that front.

What you see in the trailers for IX looks absolutely horrendous. But I'm starting to wonder if it's because Kylo is not *trying* to strike Rey.
I got that vibe in the last teasers.

obi-ani-saberdance.gif

Also Kylo and 'the girl'

Lol

Like granddad like grandson

jpKpv1S.gif

flippy dippies are strong in that family !

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the Duel of The Fates but that's about it. My second favorite saber fight is Kylo/Rey/Finn at the end of TFA

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
No thank you!

Seeing Yoda flip around with a tiny lightsaber was laughable garbage in the 2000's, still is right now.

image.gif

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take anything in V-VIII over the prequels any day of the week.

Also Maul vs Obi-Wan in Rebels.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the prequels a lot as a kid. Now they look to choreographed. Still enjoyed them though. Like empire, TFA and ROTJ, and TPM the best. ROTS would've been my top if it was trimmed down a bit. It's too over the top. Did George have to make Anakin stand on a damn droid over lava?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I think the prequels finally got it right with the Anakin vs. Obi Wan fight. There's the one pointless twirling part that everyone makes fun of, but the rest is really good.

mrjohill

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the lightsaber fights in the clone wars CGI series and Rebels are probably the best

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
No thank you!

Seeing Yoda flip around with a tiny lightsaber was laughable garbage in the 2000's, still is right now.
he is a jedi master. what did you expect him to do?

these are individuals who can use force telekinises to augment their speed, strength, and durability while shooting projectiles or just moving shit with their mind. why would they move just as quick as a regular person? how is that a threat to anyone?

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the prequels, the lightsaber fights looked flashy, elegant and weightless. In the sequels, they wield them like baseball bats. Sure the prequel fights were extra af, but they were awesome.