• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I mean yeah, ultimately its down to the individual on how they consume content and if they are happy to do it sped up then that's fine for them.

For me though, especially with films/TV, it's not possible to fully appreciate how it is structured or the impact that the various decisions made in how it is presented if its sped up. Imagine a scene where there is a lull intended to create tension and its been designed to last to the perfect moment. Now imagine watching it sped up and it has now lost all of the dramatic impact because the scene wasnt allowed to go at its intended flow.

You can in that moment understand from a functional perspective of what that scene was meant to convey, but you dont get to actually experience it for yourself.

Same thing could be said for comedy, timing is everything so to change that timing would change the impact of the joke.
Yeah, in terms of visual media I completely agree, as well as comedy

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This is insane OP. I can understand slowing music down to the point where it becomes almost ethereal (Aphex Twin's stuff is great for this), but taking an original work and slightly speeding it up is just....I don't get it.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just tried it. Disgusting. Absolutely fucking disgusting. Can the mods lock this thread and ban the OP? Forget the corona virus, this is the real danger that needs to be quarantined.

Oct 25, 2017
I do it for podcasts and when I'm watching shows on YouTube or just regular videos on YouTube, but I really want to do it for Netflix and more streaming services to be honest

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Considering OP got universally dumped on I'll try and give them the benefit of the doubt. I think what they are saying is they would really love to be able to control the tempo, a common enough thing tinkered in classical music instrumentation. However hiring musicians, or even a whole orchestra to play it at their preferred tempo is impractical. Using the speed up setting in youtube is their compromise.