• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Of course not ! You monster !

If you really think the music you listen to to be too slow, maybe try to listen to something that is faster by design ?

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Thank you for this post ❤ Some people are just acting kinda shocking in here lol

The pitch isn't even being altered, just the speed. I prefer music to be faster-paced. That's all it is :-( but again, thanks
I mean I still think you're a little off kilter with upping the playback speed on YouTube, it is a bit weird. You might just need to look into genres that mess with that stuff and make music like that. Though it's difficult to make any recommendations

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Thank you for this post ❤️ Some people are just acting kinda shocking in here lol

The pitch isn't even being altered, just the speed. I prefer music to be faster-paced. That's all it is :-( but again, thanks

I don't think anyone is coming to your house to smash up your equipment or anything like that. It's a bit different for a dj to do it than someone just trying to get through it quicker so they can cram some more in though.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly wouldn't alter speed on YouTube or anything like that, bit detrimental to the audio quality.

The idea that so many are so thoroughly against the concept of altering the pitch or speed of tracks is quite amusing considering I would hope/assume a good number of you have listened to or attended DJ sets or listened to mixes. You've likely already enjoyed music "not how it was intended to be heard" and either didn't realise it liked it anyway.

Having made a bit of jungle, breaks, and put together mixes, altering music in pitch, tempo, or arrangement is a pretty standard and fun thing to do

Lighten up
djing is like remixing a track on the spot, thats different to what the op does. same with producing music

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
djing is like remixing a track on the spot, thats different to what the op does. same with producing music
Oh I appreciate that, I'm just not as precious about these things given I've spent so much time messing with music, picking it to pieces, and putting it back together.

I suspect OP is after something their not sure how get or achieve and has used increasing playback speed as it's easy and they seem to enjoy it.

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on music software and get introduced to genres that messed with that stuff

Though I may be misunderstanding exactly what the OP is after really

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who likes to lower the pitch (88% is the sweet spot) on some pop songs, this is so weird.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda see where OP is at. Seems they ended up liking high-BPM orchestral/classical, but nobody actually makes music with that style.

That being said, speeding up playback on Youtube has noticeable audio quality loss (bass kicks turn into little taps or mush), so I never use it for anything other than educational videos.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Edit: DOING THIS ON YOUTUBE DOES NOT CHANGE THE PITCH I'm not crazy bye

For me, I'd say it's 85% 1.25x speed, 10% normal speed, and 5% 1.5x speed.

I usually listen to classical music (that isn't grossly overplayed, generic-sounding, or whimsical) or orchestrated video game soundtracks, though I listen to my fair share of pop songs (and their remixed versions) and I usually speed those up too.

I just find normal speed to usually be very slow

Any friends I've asked say they don't do this so I'm wondering who on here does

Thank u for reading
You've awoken something in me, OP. I would just like you to know that.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not unhinged so not me, but also I swear someone else on this forum has made this thread premise before so I don't think you're alone

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I listen to all my music, mainly at the gym, via the Maple App on my android phone at 1.08 playback speed

A fraction speeded up, many don't notice, but I do. I'm weird. I prefer it

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
The only time I do this is when I play Centipede by Knife Party at double speed and Lacrimosa by Mozart 800x slower.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can never understand people who do this sort of thing as it completely ruins the intended experience.

For things like podcasts I can understand (even though I would still find it distracting) but for music/films/tv it will affect the pacing and impact of everything to a point that you are watching something completely different.

Directors will decide how long of a dramatic pause or on the speed at which some dialogue should be spoken and that's all decided on to serve a purpose so having it spend up will just ruin that impact.

Anyone who believes otherwise is simply lying to themselves.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
there are genres that are based on slowing or speeding up music, like vaporwave, chopped and screwed and nightcore and stuff like that. There is definitely artistic potential there.

you on the other hand are a psychopath

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I can never understand people who do this sort of thing as it completely ruins the intended experience.

For things like podcasts I can understand (even though I would still find it distracting) but for music/films/tv it will affect the pacing and impact of everything to a point that you are watching something completely different.

Directors will decide how long of a dramatic pause or on the speed at which some dialogue should be spoken and that's all decided on to serve a purpose so having it spend up will just ruin that impact.

Anyone who believes otherwise is simply lying to themselves.
So no DJ mixes or DJ performances for you then? Just in case it ruins the "intended experience"?

Edit - do you also contact artists, musicians, and directors to double check what the "intended experience" should be? I mean you wouldn't want to ruin it would you

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Toto's Africa is absolutely badass at 1.5x speed xD I love it, but I rarely do it for music. Up to 4x speed in boring movies though , sure ;) Only really possible if there are subs obviously. Most, if not, all my youtube clips are played at 1.5x-2x speed these days.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So no DJ mixes or DJ performances for you then? Just in case it ruins the "intended experience"?
But thats completely different, thats intentionally changing the sample to create a new product.

Watching a film at 1.5 speed isnt the same as a DJ, its just someone not wanting to spend as much time as the intended length and in turn changing the actual product to something other than was intended.

To use the DJ analogy I would say a directors cut/fan cut would be more fitting since you could chop and change scenes but the moment the viewer starts changing the playback speed is the moment you are taking control instead of viewing it as intended.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But thats completely different, thats intentionally changing the sample to create a new product.

Watching a film at 1.5 speed isnt the same as a DJ, its just someone not wanting to spend as much time as the intended length and in turn changing the actual product to something other than was intended.

To use the DJ analogy I would say a directors cut/fan cut would be more fitting since you could chop and change scenes but the moment the viewer starts changing the playback speed is the moment you are taking control instead of viewing it as intended.

this

comparing what a good DJ does to just speeding the music up is completely off-base

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

But DJs constantly change the playback speed of records, but they may just be mixing songs together rather Han completely mashing up or cutting it

I just find the "intended experience" argument completely bogus - at least with regards to music. It's entirely self limiting and abitrary in my opinion

I still say upping the speed on playback on YouTube is a bit silly, but I'm mostly just reacting to the unwarranted venom aimed at the OP when framed around artistic intentions. It's bad because it has a noticeable impact on audio quality

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, how you consume your media in your own home is entirely up to you. But like this thread shows, it's really weird and people will consider you a weirdo for it and silently judge you and/or back away slowly.

What's next, "I watch all my movies with the TV upside down"?

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
The only thing I do this with is books on tape on Audible. 1.25x doesn't seem to change much, just makes the guy read a bit faster.

Edit: My age is showing. "books on tape on Audible" lol.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
But DJs constantly change the playback speed of records, but they may just be mixing songs together rather Han completely mashing up or cutting it

I just find the "intended experience" argument completely bogus - at least with regards to music. It's entirely self limiting and abitrary in my opinion

I still say upping the speed on playback on YouTube is a bit silly, but I'm mostly just reacting to the unwarranted venom aimed at the OP when framed around artistic intentions. It's bad because it has a noticeable impact on audio quality
But again, the whole point of a DJ that does mixes/adjusts speed is that they are doing so to create a new product that is different to the base version.

Also im not sure how you can call 'intended experience' bogus when musicians spend tonnes of time and money in producing their product to a specific way they intend. Why would they keep doing takes or hiring producers to get certain sounds etc if they didn't have an intended experience?

You are free to prefer it if it is sped up/cut etc. but you just need to realise that you are enjoying something different to what was intended and not act like you are experiencing the same thing as everyone else because the very act or changing the speed is enough of a change to affect how it impacts the listener.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
But again, the whole point of a DJ that does mixes/adjusts speed is that they are doing so to create a new product that is different to the base version.

Also im not sure how you can call 'intended experience' bogus when musicians spend tonnes of time and money in producing their product to a specific way they intend. Why would they keep doing takes or hiring producers to get certain sounds etc if they didn't have an intended experience?

You are free to prefer it if it is sped up/cut etc. but you just need to realise that you are enjoying something different to what was intended and not act like you are experiencing the same thing as everyone else because the very act or changing the speed is enough of a change to affect how it impacts the listener.
Right, but how much that matters, and how much derision it deserves is far less significant than so many are making out.

There are musicians out there who are more concerned with how their art is consumed, but I would suggest the majority are mostly making sure they have a high quality product.

Like, the intended experience for classical music is clearly live in a theatre, auditorium, etc. Doesn't stop them putting the music on CDs in as high quality as their budget allows to sell some product

Reggae/dub artists put out records and CDs, but really that music needs to be listened to on massive speaker stacks in the right environment

People getting ruffled feathers because someone's not listening the way they think they should seems a little silly to me

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_nl44l0k6mn1qgbguro6_250.gif

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Right, but how much that matters, and how much derision it deserves is far less significant than so many are making out.

There are musicians out there who are more concerned with how their art is consumed, but I would suggest the majority are mostly making sure they have a high quality product.

Like, the intended experience for classical music is clearly live in a theatre, auditorium, etc. Doesn't stop them putting the music on CDs in as high quality as their budget allows to sell some product

Reggae/dub artists put out records and CDs, but really that music needs to be listened to on massive speaker stacks in the right environment

People getting ruffled feathers because someone's not listening the way they think they should seems a little silly to me
I mean yeah, ultimately its down to the individual on how they consume content and if they are happy to do it sped up then that's fine for them.

For me though, especially with films/TV, it's not possible to fully appreciate how it is structured or the impact that the various decisions made in how it is presented if its sped up. Imagine a scene where there is a lull intended to create tension and its been designed to last to the perfect moment. Now imagine watching it sped up and it has now lost all of the dramatic impact because the scene wasnt allowed to go at its intended flow.

You can in that moment understand from a functional perspective of what that scene was meant to convey, but you dont get to actually experience it for yourself.

Same thing could be said for comedy, timing is everything so to change that timing would change the impact of the joke.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Good shit OP. I watched The Irishman at 4x speed, theres simply too much content to consume to waste all that consumption time on one long piece of content.It was still pretty boring so i ended up listening to a podcast while watching. I put subtitles on the Irishman so i could kind of follow the plot, albeit they were pretty hard to read because of the small font size on my phone screen.

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
You'd probably enjoy a record player with good speed control. They're maybe a bit pricy, but DJ decks have this so the DJer can match the bpm of the tracks in a playlist and you can always listen to regular 33rpm in 45rpm for an instant 1.36x speed.

Changing the pitch with the sound does sound more natural, especially for instrumentation and sustained sounds. In osu! you can play maps on 1.5x and I'd always pick the nightcore option where the pitch also increased even tho it also added a cheesy drum track.
(didn't wanna spend time looking for a nightcore play of a slower map)

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. But I do listen to videos on 1.25-1.75 speed. Depending on the speaker I might listen to them at 2x if it sounds good still