• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who had the best conference at E3 2019?

• Microsoft

Votes: 425 12.6%
  • Bethesda

Votes: 31 0.9%
  • Devolver

Votes: 69 2.0%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 59 1.7%
  • PC Game Show

Votes: 30 0.9%
  • Square Enix

Votes: 481 14.2%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 2,283 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Voted Nintendo as it's where I spend most of my gaming time and I thought the Direct was really, really good.

MS is a close second though. Though their conference was ace and showed lots of cool stuff. Didn't watch SE but Avengers looks good. Ubi was really shit which is a shame because I usually like theirs.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo, but these things are cyclical. No one can have a lot to show every calendar year specifically early summer. Some years it will land well for Sony MS or Nintendo and some they won't. I feel like its all a gamble about where the studios are in relation to their development at the time.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After a lacklustre last year, Nintendo did good this year. They beat everyone else with the CG trailers and aimless conferences. FF7 floored me though

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The Final Fantasy VIi stuff is enough for Square Enix to be my answer even though it's objectively Nintendo.

It's weird that in an E3 where people, myself included, though Microsoft would crush it they were probably third.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Square, no question about it.
Ninty didn't have much of interest for me aside from more Smash dlc and Marvel.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo because they actually showed gameplay for most part with little bullshit in between.

Square gets 2nd for same reason.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I voted Bethesda by mistake, meant to vote Microsoft, they by far had the best conference.

MS Flight Sim, Cyberpunk and Keanu Reeves, need I say more?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Bethesda by mistake, meant to vote Microsoft, they by far had the best conference.

MS Flight Sim, Cyberpunk and Keanu Reeves, need I say more?
There were also some "smaller" games that I thought looked interesting. Way to the Woods, Spirit Farer (It's hard to resist typing "farter" lol) and the Legend of Wright looked really neat too.

CassioAug

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Nintendo did pretty damn well. It kind of proves that you don't need a presencial show to make it awesome. Was my personal favorite, with the biggest numbers of good titles with release dates and gameplay scenes.
Microsoft was alright... I expected more since they, themselves, stated it would be huge, and it really wasn't. It was still a solid presentation.
Square's conference was pretty amazing for Square's fans... they nailed pretty much everything.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
When it comes to substance, i.e. showing off gameplay instead of bullshit CGI trailer after CGI trailer, it was unequivocally Nintendo followed by SE in a distant second place.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Great:
- Bethesda
- Kinda Funny Games

Good:
- Microsoft
- Square Enix

Average:
- EA
- Limited Run
- Ubisoft

Bad:
- Devolver Digital
- PC Gaming Show

So Bad I Reconsidered Caring About E3 Altogether:
- Google
- Devolver Digital
- UploadVR
- Nintendo

I Don't Care About Hardware TBH:
- AMD

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It's Nintendo. By far.

Square gets some props for giving some real gameplay details for FF7, and the quality remastering of 8, and Ubi gets some points for doing a pretty deep dive on Watch Dogs gameplay. MS and Bethesda were both too reliant on cinematic trailers, largely for stuff we already knew about. Just having cinematics for Gears and Cyberpunk? I felt like we saw more of them last year. The Halo trailer was the most straightforward "it's Halo" thing you could've put out. I was hoping for more details on the rumors about how they were changing up the campaign. And then the new console tidbits were fine, but all pretty identical to the vague bits Sony gave in their Wired article. Bethesda has cool concept trailers, but that's all they were.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great:
- Bethesda
- Kinda Funny Games

Good:
- Microsoft
- Square Enix

Average:
- EA
- Limited Run
- Ubisoft

Bad:
- Devolver Digital
- PC Gaming Show

So Bad I Reconsidered Caring About E3 Altogether:
- Google
- Devolver Digital
- UploadVR
- Nintendo

I Don't Care About Hardware TBH:
- AMD
Wow besides Square we have like... opposite tastes

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo crushed it. But I was most surprised by Square actually putting on a competent show and Ubi busting out the best gameplay demo and actually making me interested in one of their pillar franchises. (Watch Dogs)

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Woooooo!!! Yeeeeaaaahhh!!!

Haha, that genuinely made me chuckle, I did notice the very excitable reaction in the crowd.

There were also some "smaller" games that I thought looked interesting. Way to the Woods, Spirit Farer (It's hard to resist typing "farter" lol) and the Legend of Wright looked really neat too.

Yeah, definitely agree with you on that, the indie game showcase was pretty impressive. Haha that's the first thing that popped into my mind reading that name as well, maybe that's what the sequel will be called, Spirit Farter - the passage of darkness.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Nintendo.

And it's not even close.

Pretty much all the games they showed or announced were games i'm so looking forward to play, even the third party announcements were very intriguing. First party games were all awesome, Astral Chain is already pre-ordered, Luigi's Mansion 3 is probably a day one for me, Animal Crossing looked really good in the Treehouse.

No More Heroes 3, Suda51 bringing the goods.

I didn't know eventually a remake of Panzer Dragoon would have come out so that was a shocking moment for me, Trials of Mana also was incredible, almost in the same style of DQ XI. Square Enix is also killing it this year.

Banjo in Smash, i didn't believe the rumors, i thought it was impossible (we haven't had a Banjo game in decades, i thought it was a dead IP under Microsoft)

The only odd moment in the conference was brought by Capcom hyping those old ports because they have no other game for this fiscal year (lol it's okay Capcom), still not as bad as the Avengers segment on Square press conference. (which is 2nd though the rest was awesome there too)

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Suare-Enix for me, but they was all weak. I just saw the ending of the Nintendo, and didnt saw EA, Devolver or PC.

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Nintendo had the best showing. But it was a weird one.

When you list the games they showed - Mario Maker, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Zelda, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, etc. it looks incredible.

But I wasn't blown away and when you look at the games more closely, I think I know why.

We had a presentation for Mario Maker recently and it's out in a couple of weeks. We got a Pokemon direct last week. Dragon Quest was announced last year and is already out on other platforms. Zelda was dated, but we already knew about it. Astral Chain got its big reveal months ago. Fire Emblem has been delayed and shown multiple times. Animal Crossing got delayed. Luigi's Mansion still doesn't have a date.

All of this is to say that they've got a load of great games in the pipeline, but mostly nothing totally fresh or exciting.

We've seen a lot of these games before (some very recently) and perhaps more importantly, we could have predicted almost all of them.

It reminds me of Sony a couple of years back - you looked at their E3 and saw the likes of God of War and Spider-Man and couldn't help but be impressed. But they had announced those games the year before so they didn't pack quite the same punch.

When you have multiple directs throughout the year, it's hard to generate the same kind of pop at E3 - particularly if you've shown the game off just a week or so before.

Watching Banjo and Kazooie make a long-awaited appearance in Smash, getting a glimpse of a BoTW sequel and the sheer volume of quality games on the horizon gives Nintendo the win for me.

But I thought, a couple of surprises aside, it was very predictable. The next six months will be great and I expect more reveals later in the year.

I've watched a lot of treehouse stuff and the games look awesome, so I'm a happy Switch owner, but I wasn't on cloud nine when the direct finished.

It's the standout conference of the year and a really solid showing. But the competition was very poor.

MS didn't do enough for me, while the EA show was a disaster.

I felt Ubisoft had the best individual reveal with Watch Dogs. A 10-minute gameplay demo showcasing some ambitious systems, a talking head explaining the ideas behind the game and a follow-up trailer, which announced the release date. The rest of the show was hit and miss, though I always admire Ubisoft's weird and quirky shows.

Square Enix did well, Bethesda didn't really.

Overall, it's been pretty lacklustre but not terrible in my opinion.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All were pretty meh. Overall quiet year, a good year for Sony to skip.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
No one did. This E3 was lame as fuck. I'm not going to get hyped for E3 anymore unless it is a console launch year the past 3 E3's have been lame.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
#1 Nintendo easily
#2 PC due to the number of actually interesting new games
The rest were fine. No memorable moments linked to actual games, but there weren't any complete bomb conferences this year either. Overall a pretty forgettable E3 compared to past years, which is a loss for Microsoft I guess considering they revealed a new console.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo and SE, with Microsoft right behind.

With each of them having a varied amount of surprises, it's kinda hard to choose just one.

The rest of the conferences I can forget.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't love Nintendo (most of the titles just weren't for me), but it was still easily them.

One of the weakest E3s I can remember though :/

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo by a mile, lots of great games and good pacing. Microsoft was too long, they had a golden opportunity and dropped the ball. Wish Sony had done a conference even if it needed to focus on smaller games.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Toss up between Square and Nintendo surprisingly.

Square showed what they needed to show, but with a slightly weak Avengers tease. A gameplay dive would have been great for that as well, or at least a 10 second clip of it without a hard cut. In general Squares trailers for their not huge games are always pretty bad as well. SAGA and Mana games are good but their reveals were meh.

Nintendo I only paid a touch of attention too but their release dates were the most hype part about it. A lot of the titles they showed are coming within the next 4 months which is just awesome. Couple that with a lot of the games looking better performance wise. I think I would be more hyped for theirs if I was more into the first party franchises they got but as a whole it was just exciting to see release dates.

Almost all the others just had too many 2020 or ??? release windows compared to these two.

Probably had to edge it out slightly to Nintendo. Both were A's in my book. Devolver was fun nonsense as usual which I enjoyed. The rest were too future forward for my actual interest to be generated. Honestly forget most of them after the last two lol.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo. The combination of gameplay footage, the brevity and the lack of dead zones as a result of that...

Though let's be honest Microsoft having Keanu on stage is the highlight of the show and those kind of moments with audiences can't be replicated with a Direct.

But Nintendo's way definitely feels more personal.