Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Light Spoilers

Yeah yeah I know that Baltimore is the protagonist/there is no protagonist/there are many protagonists, but if you had to choose which character fits the classic "main character" mold, who do you go with? Basic rules that I'm following here: this character must have appeared from the beginning of the show and made it all the way until the end. There are several characters who we could argue are the "protagonists" of specific seasons (Frank in S2, Bunny in S3, Prezbo in S4), but that don't make them the protagonist of the show overall. Main characters must also have some kind of arc, show growth and change, or confront a serious problem and overcome it in the classical Joseph Campbell sense. Someone like Lester Freamon or the Bunk may be a fan favorite, and he's in every season, but he's got supporting character written all over him.

Basic/Easy Answer: Jimmy McNulty
07162012_mcnulty-thumb-640xauto-728023.jpg

He's the main cop on a cop show. He probably has the most screentime of anyone in the series, and he consistently plays a major role in determining the outcome of every season. However, Jimmy never really changes. His struggle to work within/against the system is constant, his alcoholism and personal dysfunction a given. Jimmy, to me, feels less like a protagonist and more like a force of nature, as lovable, hatable, and intransigent as the city he polices. Good police, not good main character material.

The Feel Good Answer: Bubbles
bubblesthewire.png

The raw pathos of Bubbles' series-long trajectory should be enough to make him a fan favorite, but I think a reasonable viewer could argue that the personal battle for Bubbles' soul is truly what motivates The Wire overall. Not only is Bubbles' addiction and moral compass instrumental in the investigations of the first and third season, but his marginal status as a homeless addict also aligns him more with the people caught up in the crossfire of the drug war than many of the other central players. If we think of David Simon's larger project with this show as an attempt to give a portrayal to the downtrodden and the voiceless of Baltimore's many drug war casualties, Bubbles makes the most sense as the series protagonist. In the final season ending montage, we see Bubbles sitting down with his family, having overcome his addiction, a light in the darkness that's only gestured to with a single shot. It's the details that make all the difference, and Bubbles is the embodiment of all the details that make the show what it is.

Godbrain answer: Poot
cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpeg

Now hear me out: even though Poot is obviously always framed as a marginal player, never has a real storyline of his own, and certainly doesn't dominate the screentime, everything I just wrote about Bubbles goes double for Poot. Here's a man who murdered his best friend in the first season, yet ends up having a quiet redemption arc that you only really notice if you pay attention. The last we see of Poot is him working at Foot Locker, having given up working for Marlo and gotten out of the game completely. Even though Poot is largely portrayed as an ancillary character to Bodie, it's his story that we see completed. Poot, by virtue of not having one single story, becomes the story as a whole, his journey through various drug trafficking organizations and his silent observation of the Wire's many twists and turns allows him to become the heart and soul of this show's Baltimore. He's like the Uatu of the west side and he doesn't even know it.

What do you think fam? I always enjoy looking at the youtube comments section for clips from The Wire. The show's fans are so thoughtful and critically engaged, performing delightful little formal and narrative studies on minor details from the show. What characters am I missing? Which of these three makes the most sense?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It depends on the season for me. I guess McNulty, if I had to pick one but it wouldn't be right for a couple seasons.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Galaxy Brain: Slim Charles

I love the idea of it being Poot, like he could be the narrator if The Wire was a novel. Besides that I would have picked Mcnutty or Bubbles if I was feeling clever, so you covered those well. I think you can make a case for Daniels too.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of Poot being the protag lol. Out of those 3 I'd say Bubbles because he has a clear arc to follow.

In reality though I don't think The Wire has a central protagonist.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The show ends with a shot fixated on the Baltimore landscape.

As for character, I'd say each season has a different protagonist.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
There are a couple, all of them are flawed. Some try to do the right thing and get got, others find redemption, and others find their place in life turned upside down but manage to do some good.

D'Angelo Barksdale - basically Hamlet
Poot (I had not considered him but dang OP that's great)
McNulty - definitely the flawed hero
Slim Charles
Omar
Bubbles - another flawed hero who works towards redemption
Bunny Colvin
Frank Sobotka
Gus Haynes
Kima

I think the only group that doesn't seem to have an actual protagonist are the politicians.

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think a key part of a protagonist is some sort of evolution or change as part of the journey. Often due to the obstacles and the antagonist. Baltimore, to me, doesn't really change throughout the story. In fact, it is specifically pointed out that despite everything, the cycle is just continuing.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I;d say the Greeks since they were always behind everything, but I agree with McNulty and bubbles.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
There is no single protagonist and trying to pick one is to ignore the reality the show is presenting. This is a show about how we live with each other; it never focuses on a single character because it never intends to portray the story from a singular view. Any one character you pick is the "basic/easy/feel good" answer or, more often, just the answer you most personally relate to.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
McNulty's tenacity + dumbness moves the plot along more than anyone else. I consider him to be The Hero.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Galaxy brain take: Herc. His arc is just as completed as Poot's and he's involved in way more critical plot moments.

OP
OP
Gwenpoolshark

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

Slim Charles is a great answer. He's there for it all and he plays a small but major role in many of the central institutional conflicts that govern the narratives of several seasons. However, I think we might argue that Slim doesn't really go through any change in the traditional sense. His most defining act (Killing Cheese in retribution for Prop Jo), is ultimately a conservative move. As commendable and exciting as it is, he does it out of allegiance to a bygone status quo, showing, if anything, a reluctance to change which the other players in the drug scene seem more willing to bend to ("This sentimental motherfucker just cost us money!").

Another contender along similar lines: Wee-bey.

hqdefault.jpg

Also a hitter, also a seemingly marginal figure, but goes through a tremendous amount of change despite being locked up and barely in the picture for most of the series after season 1. Here's a dude who damn near killed fan-favorite Kima, who actually has killed dozens of people, and yet through a subtle progression of narrative proves to be one of the most compassionate and human figures in the entire show. Think about the sacrifice and humility he displays when he gives up his only son to be raised by someone else. "Man come down here to say my son can be anything he damn please." For my money, this is the single greatest scene in the entire series. Wee-Bey embodies the humanity of the supposedly inhuman, and in so doing speaks for the whole show.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
There are a couple, all of them are flawed. Some try to do the right thing and get got, others find redemption, and others find their place in life turned upside down but manage to do some good.

D'Angelo Barksdale - basically Hamlet
Poot (I had not considered him but dang OP that's great)
McNulty - definitely the flawed hero
Slim Charles
Omar
Bubbles - another flawed hero who works towards redemption
Bunny Colvin
Frank Sobotka
Gus Haynes
Kima

I think the only group that doesn't seem to have an actual protagonist are the politicians.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Cutty doesn't show up until Season 3 but he's definitely the character I rooted for the hardest out of all this
This is good too though
yeah Cutty and Slim Charles would probably be my main picks if they didn't both start in season 3

This is probably true, cause Royce/Carcetti and Clay Davis don't really change at all

I think a key part of a protagonist is some sort of evolution or change as part of the journey. Often due to the obstacles and the antagonist. Baltimore, to me, doesn't really change throughout the story. In fact, it is specifically pointed out that despite everything, the cycle is just continuing.
This is a good response too, even if the OP hadn't specifically said besides Baltimore itself

Galaxy brain take: Herc. His arc is just as completed as Poot's and he's involved in way more critical plot moments.
Herc and Carver both end up having surprisingly interesting arcs with how they start

For my money, this is the single greatest scene in the entire series.
Agreed about that Wee-Bey scene, damn.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Yep. Its the systems and structures of Bodymore, Murderland in general. Specifically though, i would pick the trio of McNulty, Bodie and Bubbles. Its really hard to pin the protag of the Wire down to a single person because the show is about the different sides of the law.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I came into say Bubbles, but this is a truly ensemble piece with no single main lead although McNulty is close to it.

OP
OP
Gwenpoolshark

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Yeah yeah I know that Baltimore is the protagonist/there is no protagonist/there are many protagonists, but if you had to choose which character fits the classic "main character" mold, who do you go with?
Yeah, it's the city.
season 2 makes it clear its Baltimore, urban mixed race cities, and the corruption at every level.
Baltimore or... Cocaine itself.
The show ends with a shot fixated on the Baltimore landscape.

As for character, I'd say each season has a different protagonist.
This. And each season has a different side of the city and its people as it's main protagonist.
There is no single protagonist and trying to pick one is to ignore the reality the show is presenting. This is a show about how we live with each other; it never focuses on a single character because it never intends to portray the story from a singular view. Any one character you pick is the "basic/easy/feel good" answer or, more often, just the answer you most personally relate to.

giphy.gif