• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Lazy OP's with a YouTube video and maybe 1 line of summary. GTFO, no we do not all want to watch 15 minutes of someones video. Tell us what it's about and we can view it for more info if needed.

Leading polls designed to confirm the OP's bias. I haven't seen it too much on ERA though, which is good.

"I am sure this game is guilty of XYZ" [then later in same paragraph, to paraphrase, "... though I don't know anything about this game in particular". Then STFU.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, these are so goddamn annoying.

Except it becomes ridiculous when these parents are presented with decades of studies that something they do with their children isn't effective then they get all defensive.

This vague corner case you're referring to is literally 1% of the bullshit that parents have to put up with from outside voices. There's pressure from your parents who don't understand why you aren't doing things that they did. Then there's pressure from the medical community. Pressure from your friends who have kids. Pressure from friends who don't have kids. Pressure from the new mom's group that we joined to have a community of new parent to commiserate with.

My wife put up with so much shit because our daughter wouldn't take to breastfeeding-after months and repeated doctor's visits. She had to pump and or use formula-and we were constantly told we were wrong and we weren't trying hard enough. We just had to try harder-we were doing our daughter a disservice by not breasfeeding-she wouldn't be as smart, she wouldn't have a strong immunity system, she wouldn't bond with her mother, she wouldn't be strong enough. My wife was in constant distress and tears from the pressure and attitudes and it made her feel like she was a failure as a mother.

My daughter is 10 now-and she's perfectly fine, smart, healthy, and has a wonderful relationship with her mom. And all those studies that people were waving in our face back then? Turns out there are new studies that have different results!

Most parents are doing their best to get by-and do what's best for their family. To have someone come up and just give you uninformed drive by advice when they have no idea of the experience or hardship that you've experienced-yeah, I feel pretty confident telling them to fuck off.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Anytime someone calls a film or game sequel that changes tone or direction "refreshing."

It's petty but even if I 100% agree with them the sheer amount of condescension in the way I always see that word used makes me wanna argue against them by default.

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking dumb fucking condescending "I completely missed the fucking point of what was being said but I'm gonna act like a jackass anyway" post is my fucking pet peeve.

God fucking forbid I point out we don't need a thread everytime AOC sneezes just because it gives you hope.
If it didn't come across, my issue is the "you have x avatar, you can't comment on" posts.

Fuck you if you do that.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Posting a screenshot without naming the work it originates from.

I don't want to spend an afternoon on TinEye just because you think your favorite moment from that obscure-ass light novel trash anime is "iconic."

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This vague corner case you're referring to is literally 1% of the bullshit that parents have to put up with from outside voices. There's pressure from your parents who don't understand why you aren't doing things that they did. Then there's pressure from the medical community. Pressure from your friends who have kids. Pressure from friends who don't have kids. Pressure from the new mom's group that we joined to have a community of new parent to commiserate with.

My wife put up with so much shit because our daughter wouldn't take to breastfeeding-after months and repeated doctor's visits. She had to pump and or use formula-and we were constantly told we were wrong and we weren't trying hard enough. We just had to try harder-we were doing our daughter a disservice by not breasfeeding-she wouldn't be as smart, she wouldn't have a strong immunity system, she wouldn't bond with her mother, she wouldn't be strong enough. My wife was in constant distress and tears from the pressure and attitudes and it made her feel like she was a failure as a mother.

My daughter is 10 now-and she's perfectly fine, smart, healthy, and has a wonderful relationship with her mom. And all those studies that people were waving in our face back then? Turns out there are new studies that have different results!

Most parents are doing their best to get by-and do what's best for their family. To have someone come up and just give you uninformed drive by advice when they have no idea of the experience or hardship that you've experienced-yeah, I feel pretty confident telling them to fuck off.

While you are right about stuff lie breastfeeding being harshly judged, that ain't what those posters are reffering to.

I think they're reffering to the threads about child beating where "you must not be a parent" is repeated ad-nauseum against anyone opposed to child beating. Stuff were there's mountains of evidence that it doesn't work.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
This fucking dumb fucking condescending "I completely missed the fucking point of what was being said but I'm gonna act like a jackass anyway" post is my fucking pet peeve.

God fucking forbid I point out we don't need a thread everytime AOC sneezes just because it gives you hope.

You just reminded me of another pet peeve of mine on here. The complete condescension by some posters in certain topics, mainly anything to do with politics.

The typical "You don't understand how the real world works love, here let me tell you the only thing that is possible because anyone with a brain knows what you're suggesting is an impossibility. Unlike my idea."

The only thing usually is some type of centrist, middle of the road "solution" that benefits no one.

It reeks of "Be quiet dear, the adults are talking"

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Being mean to others: I sometimes feel like the forum itself encourages aggressive/negative discussions. And it's something that's super easy to get caught up in; which I try to be conscious of when I catch myself.

And I don't mean in that staff encourage it. I mean that the community itself often just "feels" abrasive.

Also, the general tone often sounds like a dudebro that's only just started learning about social justice. It's weird. I think the correct term is "brogressive".

People treat discussions as if they were a debate. Want to be the devil's advocate on topics like homophobia, sexism, racism, transphobia, ect (the oh so dreaded "to be fair,") But when the time comes to condemn said things, they act coy.

Or they'll be extremely aggressive with responses like "that person is disguting", "fuck them." And what not. Which might be deserved. But it's also kind of foregone, and it doesn't need to be a competition to see who's more appalled, as opposed to adding something substantial to the discussion.

Infamous Hawk

Oct 30, 2017
Anyway, what are your biggest posting pet peeves? Happy Friday everyone.

It mostly happens in the gaming forum but occationally you see it here. Someone will have a great OP about a topic like, "Worst character arcs ever" with examples and pictures, and then you'll have some good discussion about the OP, or their own example, but inevitably some jackass will just post a picture. No explanation, no discussion.

Just a very needy way of having someone have to quite them directly and ask, "WTF is this?". Spare a simple minute adding your thoughts to your replies FFS. Even if it's brief.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
People posting gifs or pictures without saying where they are from in a thread where that information is needed or would be very useful irritates the hell out of me.
This has always been annoying, to me. There'll be some thread like "What villains were actually the heroes in their game?" that catches my interest. And then someone posts a screenshot, a bunch of people quote it and say "This," and you have to look through every page to see if someone has already asked/answered what character it is and which game it's from before you ask. And even if you do, you may not get an answer, if the thread has slowed down.

It mostly happens in the gaming forum...

Ha! Nice timing, Infamous Hawk!

Oct 27, 2017
Also, dogpiling is not okay. If is some disgusting shit just report away, by replying to them you are playing their game.

If it is something dumb don't post 'lol' or 'lmao' without further opinions, it just makes the forum harder to read and topics less likely to be discussed.

Oct 25, 2017
Being mean to others: I sometimes feel like the forum itself encourages aggressive/negative discussions. And it's something that's super easy to get caught up in; which I try to be conscious of when I catch myself.

And I don't mean in that staff encourage it. I mean that the community itself often just "feels" abrasive.

Also, the general tone often sounds like a dudebro that's only just started learning about social justice. It's weird. I think the correct term is "brogressive".

People treat discussions as if they were a debate. Want to be the devil's advocate on topics like homophobia, sexism, racism, transphobia, ect (the oh so dreaded "to be fair,") But when the time comes to condemn said things, they act coy.

Or they'll be extremely aggressive with responses like "that person is disguting", "fuck them." And what not. Which might be deserved. But it's also kind of foregone, and it doesn't need to be a competition to see who's more appalled, as opposed to adding something substantial to the discussion.
Being part of the problem, I fully agree with this, ESPECIALLY that last paragraph. It comes off as so performative and it's so low effort.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
You know the usual 10+ first posts in a thread about Trump/the GOP doing something bad? Literally any of those threads? The first 10 posts will probably be the same. How many times can people read a variation on how much Trump sucks before they stop caring?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
People who bitch about games being too long or too difficult because "I'm an adult with a job/kids/responsibilities/etc. and I don't have time for this". It's one thing to say you don't have a lot of time for gaming, but the "I'm an adult, so __" always makes me laugh coming from someone that has enough time to post on a video game forum.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Facetiously pretending an installment in a franchise doesn't exist because you don't like it. "The Indiana Jones trilogy sure is a great trilogy! It's a shame they never made a fourth one, huh? Just the three movies, am I right, guys?" Maybe that shit was novel in 1998.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Birthday threads.

I'm just a grouchy old man.
Anniversary threads, especially at numbers that aren't important. What are we going to say in the 17th anniversary of a film thread that we didn't say in the 16th? Is 18th going to be different?

It should be 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40 etc.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anniversary threads, especially at numbers that aren't important. What are we going to say in the 17th anniversary of a film thread that we didn't say in the 16th? Is 18th going to be different?

It should be 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40 etc.

"Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was released 23 years ago today"

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did calling companies cowards come from? That shit is played out already.

Plum

May 31, 2018
People who can't help but be incredibly condescending in general to people who they don't agree with. Posting stuff like (not direct quotes of course):

"Well, you clearly don't get *basic concept* so let me explain it to you so you can know that you're wrong."
"It's clear that you're *exaggerated character assumption* so I'm not going to bother actually making a counter-point."
"People really *do thing that I disagree with*, huh?*

Or the classic:

"lol" and all other forms of dismissive nothing posts. Whether they're done in a quote or in a normal post they're just condescending roadblocks to good discussion.

Like, sometimes it's really clear that someone has no clue what they're talking about but I always try to keep them at the same level as me because to do otherwise just harms the discussion for both sides.

Similarly, people who quote literally every single sentence of your argument separately with a 'perfect' rebuttal to each point. I've done this before and I realised how obnoxious I looked because it just makes the thread hard to read and ignores the entire point of a continuous argument in the first place.

And whilst I'm in a ranting mood: people who post things akin "so much port begging in this thread," instead of simply reporting the posts they consider port begging and moving on. What makes this worse is these posts almost always seem to come up in threads where no actual port begging is happening, just discussion about whether a game might or might not come to a certain console (you know the one lol). That thread where the guy made AI-generated Gaming side thread titles and focused their OP entirely around "lol Nintendo port begging!" despite literally none of the titles having anything of the sort is a good example of this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume anyone who unironically says "group think" in any context is too stupid to have a conversation with

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads titles that start with "Is this problematic?"

Don't ask us. I'm sure you already made up your mind.

Oct 25, 2017
"Womp womp" no longer has any impact, it's just lazy and dumb.

Threads on the gaming side that are titled "Does this **well regarded game** ever get good?" or "When does this **well regarded game** get good?".
We get it, you have no patience and/or want to shit on the party.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
True but would you ever see a marriage counselor who had never been married?
yes? being married isn't something special or unique. It's knowing what the balance of human interaction and the mixture of pressures of the modern world shape both personal and shared experiences and allowing both parties to communicate on equal footings in a safe environment. You don't need to be married to know how to council a relationship, you can just live your life and go to school to gain your accreditation.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
This is true. A lot of parents don't want to accept they may have done wrong, so they have play the "you're not a parent so you wouldn't understand" card. The moment they say that, I just assume they've done whatever that topic is about.

A lot of parents do accept that they've fucked up. The part that non-parents don't get is that you don't always know you've fucked up until after the fact, and some asshat coming in with "well if the parents had been doing what they were supposed to be doing they wouldn't have this problem!" isn't providing anything of value at that point.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
"Lemme go ahead and post this picture from this obscure Anime/game and I'm not gonna comment or title the post. Only My fellow douches who know of this obscure lolli from this Anime will comment on my post and we will all laugh with glee at all the ignorant peons who dare ask from where my post originates. "

Thought process of people who post images without labels in image threads probably goes something like that.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of parents do accept that they've fucked up. The part that non-parents don't get is that you don't always know you've fucked up until after the fact, and some asshat coming in with "well if the parents had been doing what they were supposed to be doing they wouldn't have this problem!" isn't providing anything of value at that point.
I want to say 9 times out of 10 it's just used to deflect criticism instead of what you described.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i think im the only user who consistently uses the word 'sommit'

i searched it on Era and most of the results were me or someone quoting me

please dont hate me for saying 'sommit', its all i have

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes.

Complaint thread? Complaint thread.

Op we need to talk about the optics of this thread.

You do realise that posting a pet peeve thread is a pet peeve for many people, right?

We need to talk about your posting habits.

Am I the only one bothered by this thread?

It's not a good look.

/thread

OP, break up with them, lawyer up and join the gym.

Stay safe OP.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The good ole "accuse poster of having an agenda", or being a shill, being brainwashed, being a fanboy, etc. It's ridiculous, and I'm not getting paid nearly enough by console manufacturers to post for them.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
has anybody else noticed the "imagine _______" thing that started like a month ago? i seriously see it like 5 times a day.

Deleted member 20295

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
My biggest is the low effort opening post, you know the one with just a tweet, article quote or video with no opinion from the TC at all. It's so common on here and what makes this more annoying, it's against the rules and it's never enforced.

Seriously people, if your creating a thread - show some effort.

A close 2nd is this.