• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a parent. It's not fair or productive to assume the person doesn't have kids or dismiss their opinion if they don't (assuming it's not off-the-wall stupid). Our pediatrician is amazing and has no kids. There are child psychologists without kids.
It's pretty clear when someone lacks perspective and is talking out of their ass giving parenting advice. And this is typically when someone says something stupid or is assuming something difficult just takes two easy steps and thats the end of it.

Three threads come to mind when I think about this being said.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
When people come into a thread bitching about how the OP didn't convince them enough on watching a video. Saying things like "Sell me on why I should spend my time watching this." and then spend an afternoon having a back and forth about forum etiquette and the responsibilities of creating a thread.

You clearly had the time. Watch if it looks interesting. Otherwise, just move on.

I always get the mental image of a spoiled prince draped across a throne when people come in flexing their weird superiority complex over nothing.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
When there's a thread with a lot of opposing views and discussion, and someone comes in and is like "smh @ this thread" or "wow there's a defense force for everything" without actually saying their piece.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
The need for some to race to be the first response to an OP and their post is almost always some useless shit like "wow", "fuck them" or the like. Thankfully these users are uncommon.
There is some pleasure when those types are beaten to the draw and it's a much better response than theirs.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst is always gonna be whenever someone bumps a months-old thread just to post some shit like "I really hope this thing happens in the future!"

Generally, any hip-hop related thread since it all inevitably boils down to a bunch of 30-somethings telling me modern rap is trash.
I've noticed that it's not even just hip-hop now, threads about modern music in general on here fucking blow.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
The jokey 'lock if old' bit at the end of OPs. Lock if Old is itself innoffensive sure but everyone tries to make some kind of pun or joke related to the article and its never, ever been funny to me. It's only worse when the article is of a really serious nature and they still can't help themselves.

Please, just stop.

Oct 27, 2017
The need for some to race to be the first response to an OP and their post is almost always some useless shit like "wow", "fuck them" or the like. Thankfully these users are uncommon.
There is some pleasure when those types are beaten to the draw and it's a much better response than theirs.

Huh? Every Trump thread is like this. It takes at least 2 pages for the real discussion to start, if it does at all.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I actually agree with the OP. Either a verbal "Who?" or the "who?" gif are really annoying. Why not take 5 seconds and type in the person or topic in a google search and find out "who?"

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The worst is always gonna be whenever someone bumps a months-old thread just to post some shit like "I really hope this thing happens in the future!"

I've noticed that it's not even just hip-hop now, threads about modern music in general on here fucking blow.

To be fair though-most modern music in general blows too.

🤷🏻‍♂️

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
"Is It Just Me Or....."

Yup, reeks of narcissism right off the bat.
never readed in that way.
for me i'ts like "i have this crazy idea and i'm a little insecure so i ask if i'm the only one because i really think that i'm the only one"

last time i used it was for some graphics improvements in a videogame trailer, and that was actually only in my head (the compression was so high that was impossible to notice micro improvements)

but then again english is not my native language so maybe i'm wrong.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I also can't stand when the first two pages of a thread are people quoting the first person to make a "funny" reply.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the reflexive posting by some people who post 'I don't get it' in every thread about a new PBF comic. Congrats, you're in on an old joke that was already way overdone by the time Era formed. Hilarious.

I'll concede though that there's not much discussion that usually comes from those threads anyway.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'll go one step further and say generally trying to convince those 30-somethings music fans their opinion is wrong.

This is how it goes: "I think [insert music genre] is trash" -> Someone writes a good response to them -> "Oh can you give me some examples that disprove my point?"

No, dude, no. I am not your glorified music recommendation service. I've refuted your point, and now you want me to put it in additional time to make sure you can realize the opinion I told you was wrong was wrong. I appreciate that you care enough about the subject at hand to try and listen to new things, but why are you trying to make me your personal recommendation algorithm? Anyone with half a brain knows modern rap is not trash, so why is it that you need to be spoonfed this information instead of actually going out and finding these things? Pitchfork exists. TinyMixtapes exists. Bandcamp Daily exists. It is not hard to find modern music that appeals to your taste with the advent of the internet, so why are you making me act like your personal music shopper?

To me, this just represents the laziness of people that want to talk shit with no real experience on the matter. Why is it that you can say whatever nonsense you want about modern music and yet I have to be the one to do the legwork to disprove you?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'll go one step further and say generally trying to convince those 30-somethings music fans their opinion is wrong.

This is how it goes: "I think [insert music genre] is trash" -> Someone writes a good response to them -> "Oh can you give me some examples that disprove my point?"

No, dude, no. I am not your glorified music recommendation service. I've refuted your point, and now you want me to put it in additional time to make sure you can realize the opinion I told you was wrong was wrong. I appreciate that you care enough about the subject at hand to try and listen to new things, but why are you trying to make me your personal recommendation algorithm? Anyone with half a brain knows modern rap is not trash, so why is it that you need to be spoonfed this information instead of actually going out and finding these things? Pitchfork exists. TinyMixtapes exists. Bandcamp Daily exists. It is not hard to find modern music that appeals to your taste with the advent of the internet, so why are you making me act like your personal music shopper?

To me, this just represents the laziness of people that want to talk shit with no real experience on the matter. Why is it that you can say whatever nonsense you want about modern music and yet I have to be the one to do the legwork to disprove you?

It's funny because there is huge intersection in the venn diagram of people who respond with "Who?" and people who think modern music is trash.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

You realize that this is an old circle though right? In 15 years you're going to be having these same exasperated conversations as well and pulling what's left of your hair out. Your generation isn't special-we've all had this battle.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In addition to who, the people who think they'll get glorified internet points for not knowing who pop stars or celebrities are. It reeks of elitism and classism and also just general ignorance. I may not like or listen to Ariana grande, but I know who she is.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, asking somebody to explain something hat can easily be Googled is up there.

Bonus points for getting combative when told to Google it, thus derailing the thread.

Double bonus points for just posting "I have no idea who/what that is" and not even asking.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
This has become a new trend: post count.

I totally understand trying to suss out sock puppet accounts. And I agree that low post count is often an indicator of such. But just today I saw someone post someone's post count, which was a low three digit number. Three digits. It felt a bit absurd to me. Maybe I misread the post but damn, maybe don't rely on that metric so hard.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been bothered by some of the people that say, "I'm too old to get gifts for Christmas so I didn't get anything."

Homie what

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Responses to threads with little or no value or path for actual discussion. It's pretty terrible to rummage through a thread full of drive by comments that don't contribute to the topic outside of the most surface level response or reaction.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realize that this is an old circle though right? In 15 years you're going to be having these same exasperated conversations as well and pulling what's left of your hair out. Your generation isn't special-we've all had this battle.
Honestly, the results from that poll surprised, but didn't shock, me. I know that I am well below the median age of people here, but that's no excuse for willingly being close-minded. It just seems like a lot of people just want to talk shit with no repercussions, and refuse to let their mind be changed.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
In addition to who, the people who think they'll get glorified internet points for not knowing who pop stars or celebrities are. It reeks of elitism and classism and also just general ignorance. I may not like or listen to Ariana grande, but I know who she is.

Someone is ignorant if they don't know who Ariana Grande is? Really dude? I reserve that word for when someone doesn't know how to do basic household chores. But not knowing who a celebrity is?

Some people just don't consume celebrity culture or what they are into doesn't overlap with what that celebrity's genre is.

Granted the rushing in to claim that they don't know who X is, comes across as fake to me 95% of the time but whatever.

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with you to an extent and I understand your passion. I've found that arguing about music on the internet is the most worthless thing you could possibly do.

Unless you're on a dedicated board, the chances of having someones tastes line up with your is next to nil. On top of that, music is, to me anyway, the most subjective art form of all. We are just NOT going to appreciate an artist on the same level, even if we both like them.

Lastly, Music is about youth. I'm 38 years old. I've been listening to hip hop since the early 80's (my Uncle was a huge hip hop head who got me into the genre young). My favorite artists are tied to my formative years and early maturity. I was a scholar and even though I didn't like everything I heard, I was well versed in it at least.

You age out of that eventually. Now I rarely if ever get the time to truly appreciate MY music, and when I do I mostly enjoy it on a nostalgic trip. I rarely if ever seek out anything new and prefer to stick to my favorite artists. Because of this, I don't argue about hip hop on the internet anymore. I'm NOT going to like newer music for the most part. I also know that many people my age share the same experience and opinion. So yes, it is fruitless to argue with us. We're old.

All i'll say in closing is the following:

DEkBaru.jpg

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah I really hate "who?", OP. Literally being snide about not knowing something. Makes no sense.

Especially since, if you really wanted to know "who", the info is usually right fucking there in the OP. It usually comes off more like the poster posting it knows exactly who the person is and wants to show off how much they don't care about the person.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Allergic, over the top, condescending reactions to normal things you don't do.

"I don't pee in the shower because I'm not an animal"
"Why would you spend x much on a wedding, just just don't invite people"

Those two threads come to mind.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you to an extent and I understand your passion. I've found that arguing about music on the internet is the most worthless thing you could possibly do.

Unless you're on a dedicated board, the chances of having someones tastes line up with your is next to nil. On top of that, music is, to me anyway, the most subjective art form of all. We are just NOT going to appreciate an artist on the same level, even if we both like them.

Lastly, Music is about youth. I'm 38 years old. I've been listening to hip hop since the early 80's (my Uncle was a huge hip hop head who got me into the genre young). My favorite artists are tied to my formative years and early maturity. I was a scholar and even though I didn't like everything I heard, I was well versed in it at least.

You age out of that eventually. Now I rarely if ever get the time to truly appreciate MY music, and when I do I mostly enjoy it on a nostalgic trip. I rarely if ever seek out anything new and prefer to stick to my favorite artists. Because of this, I don't argue about hip hop on the internet anymore. I'm NOT going to like newer music for the most part. I also know that many people my age share the same experience and opinion. So yes, it is fruitless to argue with us. We're old.

All i'll say in closing is the following:

DEkBaru.jpg
Wise words here

Oct 25, 2017
"is x worth my time" said on a forum of all things like you're in the middle of being productive.

"Social media is the worst thing to ever happen and nothing good has ever come of it', said on a social media site and you know that's not true.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone says that they don't like a game and the response is either one of the following.

"Well just so you know you are in the minority"

"Bu bu bu LOOK AT THE METACRITIC!"

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It drives me insane when people post screenshots or gifs from something but then DON'T SAY WHAT IT'S FROM!

Not everybody knows your favorite obscure game, JEFF.

Also, the "We Need to Talk About _____" threads, where usually it's not that big of a deal. No, we don't NEED to talk about it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this.

Also "LTTP" topics on a game that is only a month or two old, game threads in general where someone thinks their opinion deserves a whole new thread instead of just posting in the game's OT.
Yup, unless you're writing a full work-up on a title if it has an at least semi active OT just post your thoughts there.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to stop myself from doing it but I say/post honestly and literally way too much. They are just empty words.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm trying to stop myself from doing it but I say/post honestly and literally way too much. They are just empty words.

That reminds me. People that get upset when you say something qualitative about a game and you don't put "in my opinion" somewhere in the post.

I am saying it. Obviously it is my opinion - it is redundant to write "in my opinion" after everything I say about a game.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
In threads about examples of a concept across different games:

People who don't label screenshots from games assuming we all know every single character from every single game ever made.