• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a parent. It's not fair or productive to assume the person doesn't have kids or dismiss their opinion if they don't (assuming it's not off-the-wall stupid). Our pediatrician is amazing and has no kids. There are child psychologists without kids.

Those are trained professionals with years or decades of experience, pulling from the collected wisdom of the entire history of child development. Not shitlords in Era.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I almost forgot the incessant need to post lol instead of a full stop or using it in a sentence where no joke is being made.

"I just got home from the shop lol"

I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
People posting gifs or pictures without saying where they are from in a thread where that information is needed or would be very useful irritates the hell out of me.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I hate it when someone writes an argument, receives five rebuttals, then responds only to the weakest one.

Oct 27, 2017
Convince me to buy/read/watch/play X.

No, fuck you, Youtube and Google exist. Do your own damn research. A specific question(s) is (are) fine, but having people try to cater to your tastes is not.

Oct 25, 2017
When people make the exact topic made the week before, just worded differently. Gaming Era is not called out for this enough.

Convince me to buy/read/watch/play X.

No, fuck you, Youtube and Google exist. Do your own damn research. A specific question(s) is (are) fine, but having people try to cater to your tastes is not.
Exactly. So many people are fickle as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
When people make the exact topic made the week before, just worded differently. Gaming Era is not called out for this enough.

Exactly. So many people are fickle as hell.
"Recommend me some ______"

How about I recommenced a book on grammar?

'Just bought X system, hit me with some game recommendations'.

Jesus Christ, use the search bar. And why do you buy consoles without knowing what are you going to play, what the hell.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you to an extent and I understand your passion. I've found that arguing about music on the internet is the most worthless thing you could possibly do.

Unless you're on a dedicated board, the chances of having someones tastes line up with your is next to nil. On top of that, music is, to me anyway, the most subjective art form of all. We are just NOT going to appreciate an artist on the same level, even if we both like them.

Lastly, Music is about youth. I'm 38 years old. I've been listening to hip hop since the early 80's (my Uncle was a huge hip hop head who got me into the genre young). My favorite artists are tied to my formative years and early maturity. I was a scholar and even though I didn't like everything I heard, I was well versed in it at least.

You age out of that eventually. Now I rarely if ever get the time to truly appreciate MY music, and when I do I mostly enjoy it on a nostalgic trip. I rarely if ever seek out anything new and prefer to stick to my favorite artists. Because of this, I don't argue about hip hop on the internet anymore. I'm NOT going to like newer music for the most part. I also know that many people my age share the same experience and opinion. So yes, it is fruitless to argue with us. We're old.

All i'll say in closing is the following:

DEkBaru.jpg

I dunno man, I feel like people hide behind age a lot. Mumble rap first started popping onto the scene like 4-5 years ago. I'm 31 now and would've been in my late 20s then. I hated it then, just like I didn't like Soulja Boy in 08 when I would've been 19. Does that mean I was "old" then? Was my opinion more valid then?? I find plenty, plenty of new music to listen to. I LOVE seeking out new music--I find new stuff I love all the time. I thought 2018 was a great year for music and I'm excited for 2019. Like...don't tell me I don't get Migos 'cause I'm old my dude....Quavo and Offset are 27.

I understand some dudes are hoteps and some dudes are racist and so it muddies the water over who's not even trying to engage in new music and who is, but still. Of course, I think art is all subjective and opinion based so you like what you like.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When an op titles their thread with a question and then immediately answers it himself.

"What's the best pizza and why is it Pizza Hut?"

Fuck off with that shit. It's not cute.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
People chastise others for simply misinterpreting the purpose of a thread. Yet they offer nothing else other than smugly calling the poster out. How about you just ignore it and let the post get buried.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, just become a person has children, doesn't make their opinion right or good advice
This is true. A lot of parents don't want to accept they may have done wrong, so they have play the "you're not a parent so you wouldn't understand" card. The moment they say that, I just assume they've done whatever that topic is about.

Oct 25, 2017
"why hasn't this user been banned for sexism" in response to statements like "men are the worst". You have bigger problems if you don't get why that's a non issue.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Responses to threads with little or no value or path for actual discussion. It's pretty terrible to rummage through a thread full of drive by comments that don't contribute to the topic outside of the most surface level response or reaction.
This happens a lot. Threads get polluted with multi-pages of useless posts. People need to stop and think before they post reply... does this really contribute anything to the thread?

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
"I have not played/watched that game/movie, or have any intention to do so, but it sucks."

When I claim something sucks it is something I have suffered, at least partially though.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I also dislike posters needlessly using sensitive topics as a rebuttal.

If you receive criticism for liking Sugiyama's work, don't treat it as an attack on your agency as an lgbt person. Especially when the other poster did not present that topic (implicitly or explicitly) in their criticism.

Yes that actually happened. Another lgbt poster had to call them out on it.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'll go one step further and say generally trying to convince those 30-somethings music fans their opinion is wrong.

This is how it goes: "I think [insert music genre] is trash" -> Someone writes a good response to them -> "Oh can you give me some examples that disprove my point?"

No, dude, no. I am not your glorified music recommendation service. I've refuted your point, and now you want me to put it in additional time to make sure you can realize the opinion I told you was wrong was wrong. I appreciate that you care enough about the subject at hand to try and listen to new things, but why are you trying to make me your personal recommendation algorithm? Anyone with half a brain knows modern rap is not trash, so why is it that you need to be spoonfed this information instead of actually going out and finding these things? Pitchfork exists. TinyMixtapes exists. Bandcamp Daily exists. It is not hard to find modern music that appeals to your taste with the advent of the internet, so why are you making me act like your personal music shopper?

To me, this just represents the laziness of people that want to talk shit with no real experience on the matter. Why is it that you can say whatever nonsense you want about modern music and yet I have to be the one to do the legwork to disprove you?

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I have to add that the "dusty" go to whenever someone doesn't like something is frustrating. It's true for a lot of people but it seems like you can't dislike something for legitimate, it-sounds-bad-to-me reasons.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"Yeah, well that's just like your opinion man"

Of course it is. Please default to thinking everything I post is. Every sentence shouldn't require "IMO" as punctuation.

Nov 17, 2017
When people come into a thread bitching about how the OP didn't convince them enough on watching a video. Saying things like "Sell me on why I should spend my time watching this."
Oh you reminded me; I have always been annoyed by threads that have titles or OPs like "Sell me on ____."

It does depend on the tone of the poster, usually the 'prove to me why this should be worth my time' sort of vibe. Something about it just makes me want to tell them to figure it out on their own because I'm not a salesman.

People who try to win an argument by saying that it's their last post in the thread.
Usually when they're losing that argument.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
"I'm sorry, but [thing that is accepted by most people as being succesful, critically acclaimed and widely liked] fucking sucks. It's just bad. Sorry you had to find out this way."

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
People who use RottenTomatoes to defend a movie they like but then ignore it when people use it to say a movie wasn't that good.

Oct 27, 2017
On this website, when people make video game thread titles out to be super dramatic and like the most important discussion known to man.

"We NEED to talk about unlocking characters in Smash Bros. Ultimate."

Also, I hate, "I just bought this game. What should I know going in?"

JUST PLAY THE FUCKING GAME

And "Why didn't anyone tell me *INSERT SUPER POPULAR AND ACCLAIMED GAME HERE* was this good??!?"

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
My biggest pet peeve on this board is ppl who reply JUST to be antagonistic or to tease or bully. Like do u purposely just want to be a negative person? Would u rather push against someone instead of having a fun positive interaction? Life should be fun and not taken that seriously.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hilarious that someone with a Goku avatar is telling people to make an OT to keep all the threads. Like gtfoh with that. Dragon Ball was running rampant for how long throughout both Etc and Video games?? Get over it, if you don't like it read something else and let us have some hope.
This fucking dumb fucking condescending "I completely missed the fucking point of what was being said but I'm gonna act like a jackass anyway" post is my fucking pet peeve.

God fucking forbid I point out we don't need a thread everytime AOC sneezes just because it gives you hope.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it seems like you can't dislike something for legitimate, it-sounds-bad-to-me reasons.
There's no problem with disliking something.

However, people don't phrase their dislike as "I don't like this." They say "This is trash and anyone who likes this is trash." It's dislike with the intent to make people who disagree feel less than. The whole issue here is that people who dislike music phrase it for maximum hyperbole. It isn't enough to say "I don't like trap", it now becomes "I think mumble rap is a genre for trash folks who don't understand real hip-hop. Modern rap is trash."

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I generally think that canned edgy responses of all kinds fall into this category for me.
We have all seen them thousands of times before, so it's not like they are in any way interesting.

Admittedly I have been guilty of posting stuff like that in the past myself.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
"Can't wait for x group to come into this thread" usually without giving any input on the topic at hand. It's like, do you care about the issue, or just the drama surrounding it?

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
There's no problem with disliking something.

However, people don't phrase their dislike as "I don't like this." They say "This is trash and anyone who likes this is trash." It's dislike with the intent to make people who disagree feel less than. The whole issue here is that people who dislike music phrase it for maximum hyperbole. It isn't enough to say "I don't like trap", it now becomes "I think mumble rap is a genre for trash folks who don't understand real hip-hop. Modern rap is trash."
Agreed

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Here are two that are exclusive to art threads:
  1. Quoting artwork that you like (without hiding them in spoilers) then responding to each picture with some variant of "OMG EPIC".
  2. Leaving out artwork that fails to impress you while you are quoting stuff. All you are doing is discouraging less skilled artists from posting in the thread. And you are potentially turning the thread into a rigid circle of 3 or so professionals patting each other in the back.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
"You must not be a parent."
Lately I've been seeing posts where people say something along the lines of "I would tell you my opinion but I would get dog piled on Era for saying it"

That's shit posting and cowardly at the same time. If you're afraid to post your opinion just don't post at all, it's not constructive to come with that weak shit.
Agreed, these are so goddamn annoying.
"As someone who has never understood the pressures, complexities and responsibilities of parenting, allow me to correct parents on what they're doing wrong." - Literally every human being who hasn't become a parent yet, since the dawn of time.
Except it becomes ridiculous when these parents are presented with decades of studies that something they do with their children isn't effective then they get all defensive.