• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who should Biden choose as his VP to help win the general election?

• Stacey Abrams

• Pete Buttigieg

• Kamala Harris

• Bernie Sanders

• Elizabeth Warren

• Andrew Yang

• Other (please comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Surely the Biden camp is actively discussing this now, and I thought it'd be interesting to try to game this out and discuss. My sense is that he could do rather well by choosing Andrew Yang as his VP. He's young, he handles himself well in debates, he's not super polarizing, and he's not a white guy.

Assuming the goal is simply to win, who do you think would be a good choice?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I still think "We should wait and see," but of all of the leading names out there I like Kamala Harris the most for the likely favorites. She's eminently qualified, she's not from the same region of the country as Biden, she has cross-over into different constituencies, she's got the right balance of age and qualifications young but experienced in multiple levels of government, she's also not an old white man which is kinda vain but I think it's important when building a cohesive government leadership team, and politically, she'd be an asset in debates and being an attack dog for the president. From just a personal reason, I'd love to see a black woman be VP, if not president. I think she'd be a really good vice president and if Biden wins the primary, wins in 2020, then it sets her up to run in 2024 should Biden only be up for a single term.

I love Elizabeth Warren too, I don't know if she'd be a top qualifier because I don't know if she'd want to be second-fiddle to a candidate who very recently out lasted her as one of the final top candidates. This is why I'm still in "Wait and See" mode. If Biden continues to roll primary after primary and continues to build a runaway lead, she'd likely endorse him, and then when they stand together she could seem like a clear candidate for VP. But I don't think that'd come for a few months, and there will be a lot of hurt feelings in Sanders camp should she endorse Biden now while the race is still technically not decided. If... come late April when it's all but a formality that Biden is the nominee, if she endorses him then, those hurt feelings won't be as strong. She'd be amazing in debates, but I think we sometimes give too much credit to debates. Clinton wrecked Trump in 3 straight debates, but lost the general election. Warren was the best debater in the last Democratic debate, and she's out. Harris was great too and she's out. One time debate performances really don't make much of an impact on the election, though you'd still love to see Warren wreck Mike Pence.

Anecdotally, as a Massachusetts voter who was mostly in Warren's camp throughout this primary, I've heard from about 6 friends in the same boat as me that were very positive on Kamala HArris when she endorsed Biden, all basically having the same reaction "if biden wins, I'd love her as a VP pick..." It's just an anecdote but it's one I've seen repeated in person like a half dozen times enough to make an impression worth repeating.

I'm cool with Stacey Abrams but I don't think her political celebrity is high enough to be a serious choice. I think Abrams is in a similar position as Obama in 2004 where she can give a stirring speech at the Democratic National Convention, which can propel her into political stardom for 2024, 2028 and beyond. Unfortunately she's hamstrung in state wide races in Georgia, and so that national political fame will come at a political cost locally.

Last edited:

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Bridge the gap between the left and center moderates to continue the momentum and the movement. Leave no one person behind in the party, this isn't the time to divide.

Biden/Bernie 1 2 punch

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Personally, Elizabeth Warren is, by far, my first choice.
I think she's the best option to unify the party.

Having said that, I would be ok with Kamala Harris as well.

I'm not a fan of Abrams but that's just me.

Last edited:

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Julian Castro has always been probably the best VP pick for, like, everybody. He's young, he's not unpopular with progressives, and he could really strengthen the play for Florida.

I suspect Biden would not be subject to accusations of sexism for not picking a female VP nominee even though Sanders likely would be. For mystery reasons!

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Warren or Abrams. If he picks Warren, she's probably going to end up running the country a la Cheney. Warren supporters rise up!

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It would be fun watching Warren crush Pence with words, but might be even more fun to watch Klobuchar crush him with a stapler.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Someone younger than him and more charismatic. Someone who could run for in 2024 (if need be) and definitely in 2028 (if a second term is won). No one over the age of 60. Pick an up and comer progressive for the VP spot.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Cory Booker

He's the third most liberal Senator and comes from a safe seat while also being young and charismatic.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Harris or Warren would be fine choices. I feel like Harris is the likelier of the two.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why does everyone want to take Warren away from the Senate for a pretty useless position in government. She'd be way more effective in the Senate.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Tammy Duckworth. Gen Xer, disabled vet, a non-white woman from the Midwest, from a safe senate seat, relatively experienced, and she would make a solid presidential candidate come 2024 or 2028. I truly don't see a downside with her being on the ticket.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Kamala would be a fine choice to show it's not just about getting back to normal, it's also about justice.

Also, wouldn't fuck with the Senate too much. Warren would be wasted as VP.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
If it weren't for her age (and the scuttlebutt that Biden would only serve one term), I'd pick Warren. She would work great as a Treasury Secretary. But Harris or Abrams works better at securing the minority vote and putting someone young and diverse on the ticket. I'd go with Harris since she has more experience at the federal level, even though I like Abrams more.

EDIT: Ohhh, Harris as Attorney General is a great suggestion as well.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Gretchen Whitmer. She's an amazing speaker, she's never lost an election, she even beat a Republican. My second choice would be Abrams, third would be Booker.

Oct 27, 2017
Elizabeth Warren would be wasted as Biden's VP. She wouldn't be doing anything useful in that position. The only benefit of Warren being VP is if Biden dies in office.

It really should be a woman though.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Electorally speaking - Abrams would lock down the Black vote which he needs to turn out. She also has the least baggage.

Warren would get him nothing, and would be in a position where she would be twiddling her thumbs instead of writing legislation

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
#TeamAbrams

They say the effect of a VP in terms of delivering their home state is overstated, but I think she can turn Georgia purple.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If he choses a moderate that's a big fuck you to the progressive wing of the party and just further proof that they don't give a fuck about the progressives in the party and young, working class democrats

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
My moderate boomer parents think it should be Kamala. I don't think she's the worst choice, but I'd prefer someone a bit further left.

Status
Not open for further replies.