• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

James or Sirius?

• James was kind of a jerk

Votes: 618 62.0%
  • Snape WAS a loser

Votes: 379 38.0%

• Total voters

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Both were assholes propped up by the system in a world full of fantastical elitism and deserved none of the praise or redemption respectively that they gained by the end of the series.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Both were assholes propped up by the system in a world full of fantastical elitism and deserved none of the praise or redemption respectively that they gained by the end of the series.
This post makes 0 sense in regards to James. The least charitable interpretation of him is that he was a jerk when he was a fifteen year old. It's insane the bending over folks do to equivocate this.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snape is basically the original incel and the fact they paint him out to be a good guy in the end is one of the biggest red flags in the Harry Potter series. James is just a cool guy who correctly identified a creep.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
James acted like an asshole but got better.

Snape was a racist who became worse by joining the wizard nazis despite supposedly being in love with a girl who would be an obvious wizard nazi victim.

It's no contest, Snape was way worse.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
AQq1f0G.png

Ridiculous

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
James Potter actually saved Snape's life once.

Snape wanted to know what James and Sirius Black and Remus Lupin were up to, what with all of their sneaking around, so Sirius flippantly told Snape to go through the Whomping Willow and find out for himself.

Lupin was werewolfized at the time, and could have killed Snape, and when James learned what Sirius had said/done, James ran over there and risked his own life to pull Snape safely out.

What an asshole. [/sarcasm]

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think the poll result is really a useful statement about how platforming can engender empathy and sympathy

Snape gets so much more platform in the book series so people are inclined to empathize with him more even if it's so blatantly obvious the odious shit he did and believed in

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Snape was a biggot that looked down on "mudbloods" and hated them way before he ever met James.

The fact that he also joined the hitler youth equivalent and went on to be a deatheater just shows how much of a hateful person he was. Even as a "reformed" teacher he was a shitheel that loved to bully students.

James was an asshole at 15 and got better.

Pretty easy choice imo.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the poll result is really a useful statement about how platforming can engender empathy and sympathy

Snape gets so much more platform in the book series so people are inclined to empathize with him more even if it's so blatantly obvious the odious shit he did and believed in
Or it could be a useful statement about how people are more sympathetic towards an interesting character than a moral one.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
James Potter didn't bully Severus Snape. Every firsthand source that talks about those two says that Snape gave as good as he got. That's not a victim, that's just an enemy. Moreover, the spell we see James "bully" Snape with is a spell that Snape invented in the first place. Meaning he had to have been using it on people for James to learn it in the first place.

Right. It's like calling Harry and George bullies because they beat the shit out of Draco in Order of the Phoenix. We know what an asshole Snape is, if he's beefing with James he probably started it.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right. It's like calling Harry and George bullies because they beat the shit out of Draco in Order of the Phoenix. We know what an asshole Snape is, if he's beefing with James he probably started it.
And, considering that the one time we see James "bullying" Snape, James is using Snape's own "public humiliation" spell against him. Snape literally invented the spell that James was seen using in the "bullying" scene. It's literally impossible for James to have "started" that.

Hitler Youth member Snape humiliated the shit out of people often enough for James to see exactly how it was done. Snape just doesn't consider what he did bullying because he doesn't think of Mudbloods as real people.

James gave Snape a taste of his own medicine once, and Snape considers that to be the height of injustice (so he invents a laceration shotgun that causes permanent incurable injuries, and brought it to school, intending to use it on James). Meanwhile, James got chewed out for doing that by a girl he liked, and James is eventually kinda sorry that he did it.

Also, we know for a fact that Snape's beef with James began when Snape saw James and Lily speaking to each other, and Snape got crazy jealous because Lily is his waifu and he thinks that she's his property. And the pathetic part is, Lily wasn't even interested in James (not until sometime after Snape ruined any shot he ever might have had with Lily by pointing out that he's disgusted by Lily's Mudblood heritage).

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The weird thing is that Snape really could have been a cool character. A guy who had been radicalized at a young age and then devoted himself to mentoring the children of his old magic Nazi youth buddies, and guiding away from that path. Hell, he even could have a pretty tragic story of someone who wanted to try and change the Slytherin house but couldn't to preserve his cover.

Instead we just got a creepy guy lashing out at his high school bully's 12 year old kid. Looking back at the whole series he's just a creep, slightly elevated by Alan Rickman playing him in the movies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if we ignore how Snape is a Nazi who was Wizard-Hitler's number 2 dude, Snape literally made it his mission in life to make Harry's experience at Hogwarts as miserable as possible, all for the crime of...being James' son.

It takes a special kind of petty, vindictive little shit to do something like that, more so when Harry was also the son of the ONLY WOMAN IN THE WORLD WHO WAS NICE TO HIM.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Snape was a literal piece of shit racist nazi and the love he gets from the fandom is as bizarre as the pseudo-incestual shipping of Harry/Hermione.

I ain't mad at anyone who punches nazis.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The weird thing is that Snape really could have been a cool character. A guy who had been radicalized at a young age and then devoted himself to mentoring the children of his old magic Nazi youth buddies, and guiding away from that path. Hell, he even could have a pretty tragic story of someone who wanted to try and change the Slytherin house but couldn't to preserve his cover.

Instead we just got a creepy guy lashing out at his high school bully's 12 year old kid. Looking back at the whole series he's just a creep, slightly elevated by Alan Rickman playing him in the movies.
I think this would be an interesting character, but not for the same reasons.

The Snape we got is a miserable little ball of self-loathing who never got past his childhood. Every good thing he did, he did for the wrong reasons. And honestly? That's fine. Not every character has to be noble. Not every story needs to end in a classical redemption.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the school days, James for sure, bullying the poor goth kid. Didn't he hang him in the air and remove his pants in front of all his friends? That's pretty damn crushing, the type of bullying people take their own lives over. But yah, James grew up to become a standup dude. Snape dug his heels in some dark shit.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
In the school days, James for sure, bullying the poor goth kid. Didn't he hang him in the air and remove his pants in front of all his friends? That's pretty damn crushing, the type of bullying people take their own lives over. But yah, James grew up to become a standup dude. Snape dug his heels in some dark shit.
Snape was already going around during his school days calling other people mudbloods.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Snape was already digging his heels in dark shit when that happened. The spell used on him was one he created.

Snape was a literal piece of shit racist nazi and the love he gets from the fandom is as bizarre as the pseudo-incestual shipping of Harry/Hermione.

I ain't mad at anyone who punches nazis.
I ship Hermione and literally anyone she met after starting her adult life because Jesus Christ not everyone needs to marry their childhood friends or sweethearts.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The "poor goth kid" who was already a wizard supremacist and called his only friend in the world the wizarding equivalent of a racial slur?

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
The poll options is not in anyway relevant to the question in thread title, what the hell. Misleading even.

James was an asshole jock in high school (specifically towards Snape, nacht) sure but wtf Snape was way worse than merely a "loser" or "bullied victim" as so many ppl seem to think in this thread.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "poor goth kid" who was already a wizard supremacist and called his only friend in the world the wizarding equivalent of a racial slur?
He was a racist twat. Also forgot that he was already cozying with the death eaters by then, so maybe no clear winner. And I meant "poor" meaning wealth not that anyone should pitty him. James was kind of a psycho. I haven't read the books in like a decade but that part of the book made me cry. Weird sexual humiliation.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He was a racist twat. Also forgot that he was already cozying with the death eaters by then, so maybe no clear winner. And I meant "poor" meaning wealth not that anyone should pitty him. James was kind of a psycho. I haven't read the books in like a decade but that part of the book made me cry. Weird sexual humiliation.

James spent his entire adult life fighting wizard Hitler. He wasn't a psycho.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The spell where he took off his pants? Fuck my bad. Been a long time.
Levicorpus is a spell that hooks you by the ankle and hangs you upside down. He didn't take Snape's pants off, Snape's robe flipped up since he was hanging upside down. Levicorpus, however, is a spell that Snape invented. And as Lily pointed out, Snape's friends (and likely Snape himself) went around cursing people for fun. And as Lupin pointed out, Snape never missed an opportunity to curse James. Meaning at some point Snape hit James with that spell or hit someone with the spell while James was watching.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Levicorpus is a spell that hooks you by the ankle and hangs you upside down. He didn't take Snape's pants off, Snape's robe flipped up since he was hanging upside down. Levicorpus, however, is a spell that Snape invented. And as Lily pointed out, Snape's friends (and likely Snape himself) went around cursing people for fun. And as Lupin pointed out, Snape never missed an opportunity to curse James. Meaning at some point Snape hit James with that spell or hit someone with the spell while James was watching.
Yahhh I don't remember the books well enough to be posting shit. Thanks for the clarification. Fuck Snape.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
James spent his school years fighting Hitler Youths too.

Look, the dude invented Sectumsempra when he was a teenager. Snape was never a good person.

I like how Snape was apparently the only wizard in thousands of years to ever think to come up with a spell that dishes the flashy shit and just guts your opponent like a fish. Typical Rowling...

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Snape was apparently the only wizard in thousands of years to ever think to come up with a spell that dishes the flashy shit and just guts your opponent like a fish. Typical Rowling...
First wizard in thousands of years to think "you know what, a guarantee kill just isn't good enough." Avada Kedavra already ditches the flashy stuff. It's just death. The only reason to make Sectumsempra is to make people suffer.

Yahhh I don't remember the books well enough to be posting shit. Thanks for the clarification. Fuck Snape.
You're not alone. as you can tell by the poll. And it isn't revealed that Levicorpus is Snape's until the next book, so younger you's reaction wasn't unreasonable. But it is brought up in that very scene that Snape's friends curse people for fun. And Lupin later explains to Harry that Snape gave as good as he got.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Snake was a hero in the end too, not just James. The heroes would be dead many times over without Snape.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
They were both terrible people in school but one of them grew tf up while the other stewed in his own hatred and became a fucking wizard nazi and a professor that bullies children.

JK Rowling literally went out of her way to say that not a single Slytherin stayed to fight against Voldemort, and either went home or joined him.

Fucking nada.

Yeah they literally are the House of Nazis and cowards.

But but Merlin

LOL

Then JK had to go oh shit and say uh uh uh wait the students that came with Slughorn... they were Slytherin it just didn't say that in the book because.... Hey look over there Pottermore shop discounts!

For some reason, when I read the books I thought that Slytherin had mudbloods, and that the reason they were missing from the BoH was because they were killed. Then again I quick read the books when I was 17 and didn't get the hype for this series. Didn't get it then and still don't.