• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I have so many good memories of EGM. I started with Nintendo Power and Gamepro, once I got into EGM I found out about Gamefan, Game Players and eventually Next Generation which at the time seemed so fancy. I started reading EGM around 10-11 so I did in fact feel like Sushi-X was the "cool" reviewer.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I guess the fact that he was ghost written made me think he was a collective entity. Everyone did a good job by it did slip up that Sushi X was the same guy all the time!

Does anyone what happened so Andy...What's his name again? The guy who sorta looked like Weird Al and likes RPGs.

Andy Baran. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago from pancreatic cancer. There is an episode of the Player One Podcast where we talk about Andy and share stories of working with him. We also got stories from other EGM staff who worked with him. I am biased of course since I host that podcast but I would recommend taking a listen.

This'll take you right to the episode - www.playeronepodcast.com/andybaran

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Andy Baran. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago from pancreatic cancer. There is an episode of the Player One Podcast where we talk about Andy and share stories of working with him. We also got stories from other EGM staff who worked with him. I am biased of course since I host that podcast but I would recommend taking a listen.

This'll take you right to the episode - www.playeronepodcast.com/andybaran

Damn..That sucks.

I will listen of course.

RIP Andy. You RPGod.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got EGM 2 months after it came out in the US. It was a time before the internet though, so all the news I got seemed fresh.

Another one of those rare thread making posters forfeiting any context in their OP and leaving people guessing. Its not like ''sushi-x'' is a household name.

Its like asking:

''Do you know who the person behind PowerSpy was?''

I reckon not many will since i am referencing a Dutch mag here.

EDIT:
wow, how old am I? I thought everyone knew about Sushi-X. I haven't read the thread though, have we figured it out?
Oh wow. I can tell you right now that these names arent on the levels of Yamauchi or even Fatal1ty/Vo0.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
wow, how old am I? I thought everyone knew about Sushi-X. I haven't read the thread though, have we figured it out?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
First appearance of Sushi-X was in EGM #12, the July 1990 issue with Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos on the cover.
cXkqNou.jpg
J7d5lsT.jpg

sushi-x profiles from EGM #13 (Strider cover) and #14 (Mega Man 3 cover), August & September, 1990.

fBkI9Vr.jpg

bCqlqoH.jpg

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
was it mark macdonald?

dan hsu?

john ricciardi?

che chou?

scary larry?

ed semrad?!
Hey OP, maybe not everyone remembers some obscure anonymous reviewer from a 1990s magazine. How about explaining who you talking about before posting?

I swear this kind of thing and when people post pictures of games out of context without saying which is it are my two biggest pet peeves in Era.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
so many young padawans who didn't know about EGM or Sushi-X.

And no...you don't have to be American to read EGM in the 90s. I am Singaporean and i bought my 1st EGM issue in 1995 with the MK3 Sheeva cover

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
There's an episode of the Giant Bombcast somewhere where Jeff relates that at one point he was approached to be Sushi-X, I believe.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I forget that babies are old enough to post on forums now.

I really regret throwing out all my old EGM's. I had every issue from like #60 to when they shut down (originally).

Memories, man. EGM's review style was a revelation, even though I've now learned that a lot of it was half-assed. Ah well.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
First appearance of Sushi-X was in EGM #12, the July 1990 issue with Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos on the cover.

J7d5lsT.jpg

"a game playing veteran of nearly a dozen years!"

I like that because this was 1990 a dozen years was about as far as you could go back to call someone a veteran because passed '78 is where the division of calling something a video game starts to get mad fuzzy.

For comparison if you said that today that would mean you started playing video games when the 360/ps3 launched.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Wow this brings back memories.

His reviews(scores) on JRPG's always annoyed me because he wasn't a fan of the genre and some games wouldn't get a gold or silver award because of it.

The things that annoyed me when I was younger lol.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't know who or what Sushi-X was, you were too young or still sperm.