• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
So I'm old because I get this reference?

Whats the legality of posting links to old magazine websites, so the young kids can relive the glory days us old folks were fortunate enough to experience?

True story: My mom tossed away at least a decades worth of mint EGM.... probably 95-05 or so, not sure how long it officially lasted. At least she recycled them. :(

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Some guy who reaaaaaaly hated gameboy. Jeremy Parish in a time machine after completing Gameboy Works.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
First appearance of Sushi-X was in EGM #12, the July 1990 issue with Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos on the cover.

bCqlqoH.jpg

Oh man, Journey to Silius! The game that was supposed to be a Terminator game.

Airhead

Oct 25, 2017
This is discussed on player one podcast frequently. Chris Johnson took the role and so did everyone else at one point it seems

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Well before some of those guys' times...'Twas

Ken Williams
Scott Parus
Sometimes a mix of editors writing in the Sushi-X voice (hates Game Boy/portable games, loves fighting games)

I worked at EGM from '94 - '04
Thank you for my childhood.

When Sushi-X came to GameNOW, he was the extremely talented Miguel Lopez.

Source: I used to work on GameNOW.

Fun Fact: I wrote a couple of articles as Sushi-X for EGM and their old website nuke.com back in the day.
You too.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
First appearance of Sushi-X was in EGM #12, the July 1990 issue with Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos on the cover.

J7d5lsT.jpg

sushi-x profiles from EGM #13 (Strider cover) and #14 (Mega Man 3 cover), August & September, 1990.

fBkI9Vr.jpg

bCqlqoH.jpg

This thread makes me feel old.

EGM was my monthly bible. The highlight of my month when it showed up in the mailbox.

Seems so long ago. And it's such a foreign concept to this generation. Having to wait monthly to get gaming news and an indication of which games were worth your money and which were polished turds.

Reading through the thread it's sad to hear about people passing away who worked on the mag. For you guys still among us that worked on the magazine thanks for your work, your writing, and your talents. It really brought a lot of happiness to this old man's younger days.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm old enough to get the reference but I forgot which magazine he came from... cuz I read EGM and Gamepro a lot back in the day

fatty

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I forget that babies are old enough to post on forums now.

I really regret throwing out all my old EGM's. I had every issue from like #60 to when they shut down (originally).

Memories, man. EGM's review style was a revelation, even though I've now learned that a lot of it was half-assed. Ah well.

Did you find yourself going back to look at the issues often? I'm in a similar situation in that I have the EGM's that you owned, along with NextGen, Gamefan, Nintendo Power, heck even a few issues of PC Accelerator (Asheron's Booty Call game parody cracked me up).

But I have these storage boxes full of these magazines and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I don't think I look at them enough to consider keeping them around with all of the space they take up. I want to sell them or something but I'm not sure if I will regret it. My wife also gives me a hard time with all of the junk I collect. Nostalgia though, man.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
Totally off topic, but still on theme:

Does any one know what became of Bill Donohue, "The Jaded Gamer," from Game Players and Ultra Game Players. He was hysterical to my brother and I when we were younger.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely remember reading an interview where they said Sushi X was "whoever was into it at the time" on their staff. Throwback to a different era of games journalism lol.

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
I loved that magazine. Their first top 100 games of all time got me to try some real classics I had missed.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I remember Sushi-X seemed to have a grudge against the Game Boy. As in he really seemed to dislike the fact that the system even existed.

Though in my personal opinion the biggest douche on the EGM review crew in the early 90s was Ed Semrad. I remember one time he wrote a column saying how Silpheed on Sega CD was really the game of the show at CES and not Starfox. Yet Ed himself would eventually rate Starfox higher than Silpheed. What really irritated me about that column was the fact he admitted Silpheed was just one video in the corner of Sega's booth and not even playable. Literally one of the worst examples of gaming "journalism' I had ever seen.

Weeaboom

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Wow, before the internet days, this was my go to in the 90's. I used to read the magazines cover to cover.

Rogue

Nov 7, 2017
Behind you
They talked about this on 1UP podcasts here and there. It wasn't any one person, if someone heard a juicy rumor they would write it up as Sushi-X, and then they'd make up a bunch of other random stuff to go along with it to balance it out

The rumour guy was Quartermann.

Sushi-X did reviews as part of their 4 person approach.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sushi X was definitely the most memorable EGM reviewer, and not just because of the mystery of his identity and longetivity of the name. The persona (likes fighting games, hates Gameboy) was just so strong and consistent compared to that of other EGM personnel.

Though in my personal opinion the biggest douche on the EGM review crew in the early 90s was Ed Semrad. I remember one time he wrote a column saying how Silpheed on Sega CD was really the game of the show at CES and not Starfox. Yet Ed himself would eventually rate Starfox higher than Silpheed. What really irritated me about that column was the fact he admitted Silpheed was just one video in the corner of Sega's booth and not even playable. Literally one of the worst examples of gaming "journalism' I had ever seen.

How far we've progressed! I'm certain today's journalists will agree that 2018's game of E3 was something that was playable on the show floor, not a behind-closed-doors hands-off "demo."

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you find yourself going back to look at the issues often? I'm in a similar situation in that I have the EGM's that you owned, along with NextGen, Gamefan, Nintendo Power, heck even a few issues of PC Accelerator (Asheron's Booty Call game parody cracked me up).

But I have these storage boxes full of these magazines and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I don't think I look at them enough to consider keeping them around with all of the space they take up. I want to sell them or something but I'm not sure if I will regret it. My wife also gives me a hard time with all of the junk I collect. Nostalgia though, man.
I didn't, but it would be interesting to flip through them now.

If you have space in an attic or something I would try to hold on to them.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sushi-X was quoted in quarterman articles all the fucking time.

Example:

..Jeepers! Could it really be true?!? The Quartermann hears that Atari has done some redesigns on their Jaguar chip set, now relying on Motorola to make a one-piece 64-Bit chip set instead of the previously planned dual 32-Bit boosters! The Atari mystery machine is going to miss the CES party in Chicago this June, but will be unveiled at some special press ceremony shortly thereafter. The gaming gurus at Camp Tramiel say its SCSI port, programmable resolution and special sound chip will weigh in at under $200...Here's one that will get some play on the Rush Limbaugh show! Kaneko has signed on to produce a game based on Socks the Cat! I feel your pain...StarFox is set to explode on the European scene - as Starwing? Why???...0ther name change candidates include Mutant League Football by EA which will hit the shores across the Atlantic as Beastball! Whoopie!...Hey postmaster, I just got off the phone with Sushi-X (yes, the REAL Sushi-X) and he told me to tell you that he'd never have respect for a lame fan mag put out by people who try to sell illegally copied video games. Personally, the Q-Mann doesn't see how anyone could respect a mag that sells the games in reviews...

From issue 47, june 1993. Pulled a random issue off my shelf and they are talking about sushi-X in quarterman. This is because *gasp* neither were actual individuals by that point.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Example:

From issue 47, june 1993. Pulled a random issue off my shelf and they are talking about sushi-X in quarterman. This is because *gasp* neither were actual individuals by that point.
Oh OK, you're right. I thought you were confusing them for the same character.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Example:

That may be incorrect. I was not hired at EGM until June 1994, but at that time there WAS a real Sushi-X (Ken Williams; I don't think it had switched yet) and it is my understanding that Steve Harris was originally Quartermann and was Q-Mann in 1993. By the time I was hired in mid-94 various other people on staff were writing it (like, Danyon Carpenter and me!) though the rumors were supplied by Steve and others.

The particular Gaming Gossip you quoted is a response to something in Game Fan (the "Postmeister"), probably accusing EGM's various pseudonyms of not being real people and HOO BOY is that the pot calling the kettle black as Game Fan did that too (one writer being multiple 'characters') in its early days.

Last edited:
Hey OP, maybe not everyone remembers some obscure anonymous reviewer from a 1990s magazine. How about explaining who you talking about before posting?
It reminded me of this recent thread where the same thing happened.

There is only so much one user can do to combat this - With varying levels of success :/

Maybe i should also ask the OP if he knew about Mortal Marcel, which is a rather infamous guy for hating on Street Fighter back in the 90s, i remember. In reality he was just a regular reader of the mag the PowerSpy originated from, but he was given guest reviews too. This was at a time where Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat was a big craze, and this bloke hated SF more than any other human on the planet. Atleast this is context to the character, unlike OP's.

so many young padawans who didn't know about EGM or Sushi-X.
I knew of EGM, but not Sushi-X. That's why OP is problematic - It lacks context and supposely you just have to know about him.

me too...the excitement of getting freshly gaming previews, reviews, gossips, cheats every month!

now, it's just news overload and overreaction every waking moment!

*grumble grumble*

Now get off my lawn!!
We actually still have a mag like that, called Gameplay. It is around for over 20 years, formerly PC Gameplay. I have some old issues from the 90s around still and i still irregularly buy them because its the only mag out there in my country that still has an eye for lesser known games and they actually do great interviews with big devs aswell.

Actually, they also had characters as employees. Who remembers Shotgun Pete?

#praisegameplay

Some guy who reaaaaaaly hated gameboy. Jeremy Parish in a time machine after completing Gameboy Works.
Mortal Marcel was this but for Street Fighter. It should be obvious why he was called Mortal Marcel though.. and its not because he was drunk all the time.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This thread makes me feel old.

EGM was my monthly bible. The highlight of my month when it showed up in the mailbox.

Seems so long ago. And it's such a foreign concept to this generation. Having to wait monthly to get gaming news and an indication of which games were worth your money and which were polished turds.

Reading through the thread it's sad to hear about people passing away who worked on the mag. For you guys still among us that worked on the magazine thanks for your work, your writing, and your talents. It really brought a lot of happiness to this old man's younger days.

The first issue of EGM I ever read was #2 that I picked up at a Jewel Osco newsstand (Chicago-area supermarket, pharmacy) in the summer of '89.

lLJZbIX.jpg

#3, #4, #5

2ybxXNm.jpg

MB1XGss.jpg

lJYTGRy.jpg

After issue #4 I subscribed and the first issue I got in the mail was #6, the NES Batman cover. January 1990.

dEH16uo.jpg

3pXeO1s.jpg

d16qVhm.jpg

GKaVxND.jpg

rempYXt.jpg

afUuVTn.jpg

SmuM0H2.jpg

7MSogjz.jpg

nW5MBbB.jpg

saSUTZi.jpg

UmBQYeC.jpg

Through the end of 1990 was amazing.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
God, I wish there was a way to browse old EGM magazines.

I have a bunch at my parents place still but I can't seem to find any older than '95ish.