• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DS is

• Dark Souls

Votes: 403 15.4%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 35 1.3%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 21 0.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 71 2.7%
  • Don't Starve

Votes: 4 0.2%
  • Nintendo DS

Votes: 2,057 78.4%
  • Dog Station

Votes: 32 1.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Following on from Rotobit's thread and Voyevoda's post, I thought DS was another highly contested acronym. What do you think?

Personally, I think Dog Station earns that accolade seeing as it's the most prestigious game about breeding dogs. It's the oldest and, hey, it was way ahead of its time--driving the resurgence of the simulator genre single-handedly. In my opinion, out of all of Konami's IP, this is the real jewel in their crown. And please, don't let the fact that this game has no Wikipedia page deter you... it's definitely a game.

May 16, 2018
When I saw DS, the first two that came to mind was the handheld and then Death Stranding after that. Im sure recency bias plays into the second

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the context of the sentence.

[title] on the DS was awesome = Nintendo DS
DS is the Dark Souls of Souls games = Dark Souls

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like putting the Nintendo DS among the options is wrong and skews the results, because in any given conversation, anyone would know from context that the person using the initialism "DS" is refering to a console and not a game.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendo DS, obvs. it's almost unfair to the others, you should have made the poll only for the games (in which case dark souls wins).

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
DS was around for many many years and it has been in our minds the longest. I haven't even played a DS in like 10 years and it's still the first thing that comes to mind.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo DS.

I especially had a fondness for games that used the ''DS'' acronym on their names that came for the system. Dawn of Sorrow, Dual Sympathy, Dust Strikers, Deadly Silence, Dragon Sword, Devil Survivor and even that garbage Dragon Song. It felt to me like a fun continuation of using ''64''.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
1920px-Bornholm_Rundt_2012_%282012-07-08%29%2C_by_Klugschnacker_in_Wikipedia_%2829%29.JPG

La DS, c'est moi!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo DS easily. Don't know anyone who calls a Souls game just "DS" and it's would be the only thing that could be confused as we get further away from the DS being relevant.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
if someone says DS, I think Nintendo DS.

If anyone feels slighted when I show ignorance by not knowing they mean Dark Souls (this is the one I most commonly see abbreviated as DS aside from the Nintendo system), I just let them deal with it.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
souls is mostly labeled DeS and DaS. When i see DS, i always think of Nintendo DS although i never had one.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about the DS games that had a play on the acronym.

Dawn of Sorrow, Dual Strike, etc.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls = DaS
Demon's Souls = DeS
Dead Space = dead (RIP)
Death Stranding = Destra
Don't Strave & Dog Station = who?
(Nintendo) DS wins.

OP
OP
CosmicRomancer
Oct 25, 2017
while it does (according to some) stand for "Dual Screen", it is never advertised or mentioned unless someone needs to know.

as such DS is the main name, kinda like how Dota 2 is just "Dota", no longer "Defense Of The Ancients"
developer system. Some would say dual screen
I thought this thread was going to be about that. It's commonly believed to stand for "Dual Screen" but Nintendo once said it was for "Developer System" as the touch dual screens were meant to inspire new kinds of games.
Damn. But Developer System rolls right off the tongue.

Oct 25, 2017
It's the DS handheld, but I'm voting Dark Souls because I don't think hardware needs to be part of an acronym war. Hardware automatically wins first rights to an acronym, plus it's easier to disambiguate from context. It's game titles where people can get confused.