• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hah! Me too!

But on the topic: I would switch Lightning for Aloy. If only because I love Horizon. Kassandra is great too but unlike Aloy we probably won't play as her again.

I actually thought about Horizon Dawn, but then I realized I didn't know the name of the protagonist so I thought that was probably a bad sign. Also I guess Lara Croft and her seemed---too similar? In terms of crafty archers. I guess that doesn't matter in the long run but I guess I was looking to diversify the characters so stayed away from two who seemed a bit simillar, and Lara won out due to the legacy.

Personally? Madeline from Celeste.

That's honestly the first indie girl that popped into my head, though once more just the game and not the name of the protagonist---but as I hadn't played it and haven't read much up on it I didn't add her.

Id put Aloy and 2B in there

Now I'm kicking myself for forgetting 2B. Hmm, she'd probably take Lightning's place.

i don't follow tomb raider much but far as i can tell it's moved past the point where it relies largely on tits to sell? that's the impression i've gotten from seeing the new ones at e3 anyway

Yeah, and it's kind of now at the point where I think you gotta wonder was that all that Tomb Raider has going for it? Nobody seems to care about the new games now because they don't have that 90s "edge". Instead now they apparently try and go for mass violence for edge? Lara's probably a nostalgic add here because I remember when the OG Tomb Raider was a huge deal and everyone was parodying it. I forgot what Nick/Disney sitcom it was, but I remember one show had a character becoming "Babe Raider".

Where is Saber(Artoria) from Fate/Stay Night?

Like I said this is a bit US-centric haha. Though I know she has a following outside of Japan.

Even tho Sylvanas sucks ass she does have quite the fan following and has been one of the few big faces of Warcraft franchise for a while now. Would put her above Shantae or Bayonetta.

I actually was looking through the biggest games at the moment and saw WarCraft when looking for #8, but my knowledge of that series is limited where I sort of still see it first and foremost as a game driven by created characters. I know exactly what character you're talking about though through pop-culture osmosis.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My bias inclusion if I was trying to be a bit more subjective would totally be Dixie Kong and Kazooie, by the way.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Bayonetta
Ulala
Valkyrie (Namco)
Akira Kazama (Capcom, Rival Schools)
Shanoa
Twintelle
Undyne
Marina Liteyears

...if I had it my way. :p

Edit: Damn, forgot Beatrix from FF9. She could sub for any of these.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
1. Peach
2. Zelda
3. Samus
4. Mai Shiranui
5. Chun Li
6. Felicia
7. Morgan
8. Athena
9. Nakaruru
10. Sonya Blade
11. Ninja Girls from MK series
12. Final Fantasy Girls from uh... Final Fantasy... (all except Lighting)
13. Resident Evil Girls
14. Aya Brea
15. Dead or Alive Girls
16. B. Orchid
17. Kim Wu
18. Maya
19. Rosalina
20. Isabelle
100. HI I'M DAISY!!!

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Sylvanas Windrunner has to be up there. Her story in BfA has taken some weird directions, but Sylvanas is still a hugely popular character and she is at the forefront of the current story in WoW.

WoW in general has a bunch of awesome female characters.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Chun-Li
Peach
Samus
Bayonetta
Shantae
Haruka Amami
Ayumi Tachibana
Hatsune Miku
Now, give me all of them in Smash

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Shantae is a weird choice. Hardly anyone is going to know who that is, like she wouldn't even make the top 50 in terms of popularity.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
1. Peach
2. Zelda
3. Samus
4. Mai Shiranui
5. Chun Li
6. Felicia
7. Morgan
8. Athena
9. Nakaruru
10. Sonya Blade
11. Ninja Girls from MK series
12. Final Fantasy Girls from uh... Final Fantasy... (all except Lighting)
13. Resident Evil Girls
14. Aya Brea
15. Dead or Alive Girls
16. B. Orchid
17. Kim Wu
18. Maya
19. Rosalina
20. Isabelle
100. HI I'M DAISY!!!
oh wow theres a lot i missed
mai is best

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
It will be Chun-Li, Samus, Lara Croft, Sylvanas, Aloy, Zelda, Princess Peach and Bayonnetta for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta and 2B are masturbatory fantasies, best to not include them. Frankly I find it hard to consider any Japanese character except Samus and Peach.

Samus
Peach
Aloy
Kassandra
Sadie Adler
Chloe Frazer
Ellie
Morrigan (Dragon Age)
Didn't realize Zelda/Sheik was such an offensive character to some people

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to keep Nintendo down to one so I picked Peach over Zelda or Samus, for diversity sakes.

If Nintendo's made more than one iconic woman, then they get to have more than one iconic woman on the list. Especially when the list gets more and more obscure the further down you go.

Also, half these choices highlight how many more women are needed for main characters in gaming. If you did a list of Eight Men of Gaming, it'd be characters from long running franchises. Ya'll are over here naming characters who've got a single game to their name. >.< Not that they don't deserve it, but let Aloy get a Horizon 2 first.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why is it "big 8" opposed to 5 or 10? And as many I was expecting devs, executives or even PR and streamers

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
ALOY
KAT/RAVEN
JILL VALENTINE
2B
ELLIE
TRACER
SADIE
QUEEN OF BLADES / KERRIGAN
ALL THE SOULSBORNE WAIFUS

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Zelda
Samus
Peach
Lara Croft
Chun Li
Jill Valentine

Those are for sure in the top 8 imo. After that it gets a bit muddier.

Impa
Claire Redfield
Aloy
Ellie
2B
Bayonetta
Sonya Blade
Kitana
Tracer
Sylvanas
Jaina
Kerrigan

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bowsette deserves a spot even though I hate her.

Edit: I would say Cortana, but Halo isn't as popular anymore.

Oct 13, 2018
The tag-along kid as seen recently in God of War, well, Ellie as far as I know is what popularized that.

I doubt it considering Bioshock Infinite came out months earlier and prominently featured a tag-along sidekick who is central to the narrative, unless your stipulation is that the tag-along kid must be a kid, which seems like a largely pointless distinction to make. The talking AI sidekick isn't exactly a recent development either. Alyx Vance is a narratively relevant AI sidekick whose presence during gameplay was probably the most prominent for its time.

It's difficult to understand what is meant by iconic. That just seems like a measure of how recognizable a character is, in which case you'd find a lot of your usual suspects, some of which have already been answered in the thread. I just find it odd that Final Fantasy's women just get a passing, grouped mention except for Lightning of all people. They've kept including VII's characters in new media for the past 20 years, and there's a remake on the way, so it's not like that particular installment is somehow dead.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Samus is still number one for me.

I want to say Ivy from Soul Calibur is pretty iconic.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You're missing Cortana, Samus, and Ms. Pac Man. No one outside of this forum knows who Shantae is, and Lightning I would say hardly qualifies.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neptune
Marie Rose
Dr Alphys
Quiet
Amy Rose
Amami Haruka
Lunafreya
Hat Kid

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Lara Croft
Cortana
Aloy
Jill Valentine
Peach
Samus
Chun-Li
Tracer

Honorable Mention
Ellie
Zelda

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) Aloy. This is my favorite character archetype (male or female) and one that isn't really seen a lot in games. Someone who isn't smarmy or wise cracking -- but also isn't a badass gruff mcbadass. Someone who is sincere and empathetic and has relatable motivations.
2) Not Aloy
3) Not Aloy
4) Not Aloy
5) Not Aloy
6) Not Aloy
7) Not Aloy
8) Not Aloy

Any list that doesn't include Samus is automatically invalid.

Samus at her best was someone who didn't really say anything who we projected whatever we wanted onto. Samus in reality since Other M is just a sad embarrassing wreck of a character.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Bonus list:

1. Pauline (DK)
2. Ms. Pac-man
3. Paultinia (Kid Icarus)
4. Amy Rose (og version)
5. Reika (from Time Gal)
6. Princess Daphne (Dragon's Lair)
7. Kimberly (Space Ace)
8. Dark Queen (Battletoads)
9. Sarah Kerrigan (SC)
10. Birdo
11. Blaze (Streets of Rage)
12. Nova (SC)
13. Claris (City Connection, this is a great game play it!)
14. Thyra (Gauntlet)
15. Valkyrie (From that Namco game in the 80s can't remember the title someone help here please lol)
16. Yuko Ahso (Valis)
17. Wonder Momo
18. Rosella (Kings Quest Series)

Did I miss anyone else? lol (80s-90s gamers represent!)

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samus and zelda should be there tbh also, lightning is legitimately one of the most popular characters of final fantasy in japan. In the west she's more controversial

Bayonetta and 2B are masturbatory fantasies, best to not include them. Frankly I find it hard to consider any Japanese character except Samus and Peach.

Samus
Peach
Aloy
Kassandra
Sadie Adler
Chloe Frazer
Ellie
Morrigan (Dragon Age)

lol I mean, if you look at internet, every character is a masturbatory fantasy.