Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about this myself. For male characters it's pretty obviously Mario, but for female characters, it's a bit harder since none of them are as popular as he is. I have some ideas though.

Lara Croft
WCCFshadowofthetombraider15-740x429.jpg

Lara Croft has one of the most notable series with a female lead, and for a while I would have said she was the most popular. However, Tomb Raider's sales in proportion to the gaming industry has gone down a fair bit since the 90s.

Peach
latest

If Mario is the most popular male character, the most popular female character in the series has got to be Peach. She is a central character in almost all the main Mario titles. However, I don't know if she herself would be consider the absolute most popular character.

Those are two ones I'd think of. I guess there may be others like Saber (King Arthur) or some personal ones that come to my mind (Chun-Li), but I don't know if either of them would be more popular than the two I already listed.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm gonna take a chance and say Peach is actually more popular than Lara.

I love the nod to Chun-Li she is quite big as well.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This will be a great thread to see who lives in a bubble.

That said, it probably is Peach lol

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Princess Peach is probably the most instantly recognizable but I think an argument can be made for:

Lara Croft
Princess Zelda
Samus Aran (Maybe?)
Chun-Li

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
If by "popular" you mean most well known, then yeah it's probably Lara Croft, given that Tomb Raider obviously crossed over into film and the character became more well known with the general public (ie non-gamers and casual gamers) that way. Peach definitely has a claim to be number one too though, no doubt

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Depends by what you mean my most popular. If you mean most recognizable, I'd say Ms Pacman or Peach. It's unfortunate Peach is almost always portrayed as a damsel in distress with her being so popular and all.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Name recognition wise it's absolutely Lara Croft, but people have played a game with her in it wise then it's peach or if you count her Ms PacMan

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Peach took the crown. Lara is more of a classic now. Ms PacMan is another as mentioned.

I'd throw in Jill from RE, Chun Li, Zelda being that second tier.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Popular, as in iconic? Peach. The most iconic female lead - probably still Lara Croft, but to the west.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Lara for sure, i suppose it depends how you define Popular, but i imagine if you polled 100 randoms (i.e gamers and non gamers) Lara would come top

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
- Peach
- Lara Croft
- Chun Li
- Ellie
- Zelda

I'd say that's the top five. Aloy isn't there yet but if Forbidden West is a hit, which it should be, she does join the convo.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
In 2020 I think it's Aloy. It would've been Ellie last year but now the character is divisive.
My SO doesn't play games at all, and there's no chance whatsoever she would know who I'm talking about if I said "Aloy". Princess Peach, though, everybody knows Princess Peach. Aloy is a badass character, but a D-Tier gaming celebrity.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Laura has her own games and movies. She's certainly the most recognizable one and it's not even close.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Some absolute dreamers in here.

In the west it's deffo Lara Croft.

Remember Angelina played Lara not Chunli.