• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's worse: Donald Trump or Ron DeSantis?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 218 44.9%
  • Ron DeSantis

Votes: 76 15.6%
  • too soon to tell

Votes: 84 17.3%
  • roughly equal in their awfullness

Votes: 108 22.2%

• Total voters

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Trump has already done tons of damage on a national scale, whereas DeSantis has been mostly contained to Florida for the time.

DeSantis has the capability for more harm, but Trump has done more now.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said DeSantis. The problem is that DeSantis is a smart guy, and he KNOWS what he's doing and that imo is very dangerous.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It's trump in terms of the damage done to this country. It's trump in terms of likely damage going forward as well as he's likely going to run again and he has the entire Republican party under his knuckles.

But in the scenario that trump doesn't run, I think DeSantis wins in either 2024 or 2028. If that were to happen, we'd have basically a smart trump, and, that prospect terrifies me and it should terrify everybody. And if you want proof of that, just look at how he has handled Florida, except imagine it on a National level with so much more power to push the Right fascist agenda.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a list of things DeSantis probably wouldn't do, were he elected President:

- treat allies like enemies, and enemies like allies
- try to blackmail other countries into fabricating dirt on political rivals
- start tariffs wars with multiple other countries, for no reason whatsoever
- drag non-partisan government entities, like the Park Service (IIRC, over his inauguration size) or Weather Service (over his error, naming an incorrect state in the hurricane path), into political fights over his own insecurities.
- need "adults in the room" to prevent him from...everything. And to explain to him in small words how everything works
- attempt to overthrow the government if he loses re-election - maybe (but only because Trump has set this expectation)

and on and on and on. DeSantis only pretends to be a "smarter Trump". He's not Trump. He's a Republican, which is bad enough, but a DeSantis presidency wouldn't create a Constitutional crisis every week, need administration insiders to assure us that he won't be allowed to nuke anyone if he doesn't get his bottle, or try to host international meetings at his own hotel.

I feel like people are already forgetting how truly horrific the Trump presidency was. Hell, I even left out the Wall.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a smarter Donald Trump.

Thats one reason no one wanted Pence to become president.

In that sense...DeSantis has the chance to be worse.

But...as we've witnessed over the past few years....a dumb Trump is still dangerous.

This is one situation where the lesser of 2 evils dont apply for me.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
DeSantis is smarter and more capable but Trump attempted a coup and would have been totally fine with people at the capitol being killed. Trump would still be way worse.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The fact many non-Florida peeps know DeSantis tell me it's him now for all the worst reasons. Trump is a rich idiot who won on a mouthpiece.

Barely anyone knew DeSantis in 2018 but now you got people all over talking about how dangerous that Florida governor is.

People better pray to whatever they believe or don't believe that he never becomes President.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted "too early to tell." It's hard to imagine anyone worse than Trump. Right now he's clearly worse but who knows what DeSantis has to offer? If he becomes President, he may very well end up worse than Trump.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump is scary in the amount of influence he's able to garner. He almost destroyed democracy.

Ron DeSantis is scary in how dehumanizing and cruel he can be.

Either of them would be catastrophic for America, and possibly the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If Trump is still in politics next election cycle, it won't matter what Ron's ambitions are. He doesn't have the charm to win Trump's base over to him.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
DeSantis doesn't seem very different from any other GOP empty suit. If it was him in the White House or any other Republican stooge, it would all be the same: a terrible setback for any and all liberal causes.

Trump has a very specific specific kind of personality and brand that makes him the perfect fascist dictator. He came uncomfortably close to actually becoming one, too. DeSantis just doesn't. He's boring and a bad public speaker and his name doesn't work as a verb and he has no brand and is too smart to appeal to idiots like Trump did.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Trump for sure. Trump is exponentially more charismatic than Desantis and that makes him much more dangerous.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
DeSantis is just aping trump, right down to the stupid fucking faces he makes. If Trump hadn't weaponized ignorance DeSantis would be nothing.

May 26, 2018
About equal. Once you reach a certain point it's sort of diminishing returns. Trump tried to end the Republic and I have no doubt that if DeSantis got into power he would try the same.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think as a president, DeSantis would have probably been worse, because on top of stupidity and incompetence, he also have also have actual plans to do awful things and he's less lazy than Trump, so he might actually get some of them done.

But he's waaaaaaaaaay less electable, the problem with Trump is that he's way more appealing to voters than pretty much any of the "normal" GOP ghouls.