• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ariel is a dumb, annoying brat who gets everything she wants and learns nothing.
Eh., she acknowledged she fucked up, paid a price. Just because daddy gave her the keys back at the ernd doesn't mean she didn't learn a lesson.

When you ground you're children did you take there phone, car, PlayStation away permantly?

Sadora

Oct 29, 2017
I can understand the hate for Snow White and Ariel, but delve a little deeper than what's on the surface.

Snow White was, kind of like Cindy, living a life of servitude under an overbearing woman who gained her power from misbegotten means.
When Snow finally breaks away from the castle, the only life she ever known, she comes upon a house and immediately takes control environment by making all the wrongs right. i.e. cleaning. And, eventually, she becomes the gentle overlord of her little dwarven kingdom.

- What sucks is that she leaves her rightful inheritance, where she would be queen, and the people of her home kingdom without a ruler, providing that she never returns home. So, actually, Snow takes a step down in power to be with some guy that just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Ariel does easily come across as a snot-nosed and selfish brat. You're not wrong. However, she does have the courage to break away from the hive mind and try something new. She was the secret rebel by being fascinated with land people - who she was taught to be horrible beyond imagining - and tried to make contact.
-- Yes, a bunch of bad stuff happened, but that's fallout and eventually proved that both sides could unite to defeat a shared enemy.

We really can't judge Aurora. We don't really get to know her. And, living a very sheltered life away from society, she may not know herself.

My votes is on Rey as the worst, if we can consider her a princess.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
padme20amidala2019dj0s.jpg
Anakin: "I slaughtered an entire village, including the women and children."
Padme: "Okay..."

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Rewatch them now. Most still hold up, and the movies themselves are still really good, but the characters in a few are waaaay worse than they seemed back then.
Yea, I have to agree with the Snow White mentions, especially the movie itself. But Disney's newer movies are great though. Watched Moana when it was released and I have to say it's one of the best animated films I've seen.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just glad to read this thread and no one said Tiana.

I was gonna go with Snow White but after reading I gotta go with Pocahontas. It's pretty gross if you think about it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ariel. Her actions doom herself, her friends, and her family. She doesn't even fix her own issue. Other people do that for her. And on top of this she learns absolutely NOTHING from this because the same thing happens again with her own daughter for even dumber reasons that could've been solved with a single conversation.

elsa zapped ana and fucked up her brains
Elsa is a queen

Eh., she acknowledged she fucked up, paid a price. Just because daddy gave her the keys back at the ernd doesn't mean she didn't learn a lesson.

She learned NOTHING! NOTHING I TELL YOU!

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Ariel's probably the worst (with Snow White and Aurora tied for blandest) but to be fair her old man is a racist arsehole so you can't fault her for wanting to get away from him, even if that meant doing really, really stupid shit in order to get a little bit of land action.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
But that's a kinda actual rebranding, you couldn't have said she isn't a princess before the 90's

Tinkerbell may have been part of the original line up, but I don't think the official Disney Princess brand existed before the 2000's. I could be wrong but I just don't remember it being heavily marketed until the 2000's.

When you have a little girl you know these things.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
King Triton is an abusive controlling father who burns his children's belongings out of pointless rage and makes an evil sea witch more caring my comparison

Just fyi

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there has to be a difference between the old school ones and Ren on wards, because the old ones just were not characters. Cinderella, Snow White, and Aurora. Looking at the new ones, Pocahontas was trash

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and Ariel wanted to be human long before any man of her dreams came into her life.

And, despite the title, the lyrics of Part of Your World, sung long after she had compiled a liberal cave worth of human artifacts and before she even sees Eric, is: "part of that world".

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Are any Disney princesses really bad? People are saying Snow White was the worst because of her voice. In relation, she did something she wasn't supposed to do and almost killed her sister. It's relative.
It was an accident, and in the end she saved her sister and her people.

The worst Disney Princess by far is Aurora. What exactly does she do besides laying there and waiting for Prince Charming to save her? Cinderella went through hell, Snow White also went through ordeal and had a heart of gold, and Bell showed that looks shouldn't be what a person's character should be based on. Then you have Princess Aurora who pretty much slept through the whole thing and woke up like, " *yawn* what did I miss guys?!"

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Ariel, she wanted to be human before she ever saw Eric. Eric was just a valuable bonus until Ursula stipulated that her spell could only be broken by true love's kiss and suddenly that became her primary objective.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Moana was decent, but her unfortunate chicken sidekick held her back. Moana would've been the best if she snapped that damn chicken's neck and gave it to her village as food, imo and all.

Edit: I know Cinderella gets shit from some feminist group because she was basically given her happy ending by being a good little girl and waiting for it, and while yes I agree to an extent, it doesn't make her a bad character. Cinderella remained a good person besides the years of dealing with her step-family's shit and being their slave. Also it's not like she was some docile human, Cinderella knew her situation was bullshit, but couldn't exactly leave her own home, and she fought for her happy ending to the extent of her abilities after being locked away by her step-mother.
I like 50's Cinderella better than remake Cindy.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and Ariel wanted to be human long before any man of her dreams came into her life.

And, despite the title, the lyrics of Part of Your World, sung long after she had compiled a liberal cave worth of human artifacts and before she even sees Eric, is: "part of that world".

So....Ariel is a weeaboo.

She, consumes every little tidbit about her fetishized culture (in a way that would be considered weird) to the point of wanting to go there based on her interpretation rather than fact.
She hangs out with a weird friend (Scuttles), from whom she get's her information on her fetishized culture (and he knows all this information because, you know, he's an expert).
She has a falling out with her parental figure over this.

She finally gets to go and is just as much a misfit in the human world (because of bad intel) as the fish world.

She's totally a weeaboo.

;P

Save Icon

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure about the worst (probably Elsa and Anna) but the best ones are definitely Belle and Mulan.

Oct 26, 2017
For the record, Elsa didn't zap Anna's brain. She knocked her unconscious. The trolls did the zapping to change her memories to exclude anything about magic, and then her asshole father repressed her abilities destroying the sisters' relationship because Elsa feared to be near her.

As for the question, I don't care about many of them. Elsa (she was a princess until she grew up anyway), Moana (she has a animal sidekick, makes her a princess), Jasmine (actually a princess) and Belle (marrying a ... lord?) are the best though. Mulan too, but her entire character was NOT accepting the pretty girl role, and except for recognition by the emperor she's nowhere near royalty anyway.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For those saying Ariel you should see the sequel her offspring is even worse!

She has a daughter called Melody, who finds out her mum is a mermaid (it had been kept secret to protect her) and flips out, at one point gives something to Ursulas sister to give her almighty power even when Ariel is telling her how dangerous it is!

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So....Ariel is a weeaboo.

She, consumes every little tidbit about her fetishized culture (in a way that would be considered weird) to the point of wanting to go there based on her interpretation rather than fact.
She hangs out with a weird friend (Scuttles), from whom she get's her information on her fetishized culture (and he knows all this information because, you know, he's an expert).
She has a falling out with her parental figure over this.

She finally gets to go and is just as much a misfit in the human world (because of bad intel) as the fish world.

She's totally a weeaboo.

;P

Nah she's trans.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For those saying Ariel you should see the sequel her offspring is even worse!

She has a daughter called Melody, who finds out her mum is a mermaid (it had been kept secret to protect her) and flips out, at one point gives something to Ursulas sister to give her almighty power even when Ariel is telling her how dangerous it is!

This all after, instead of telling Melody "You can't go in the ocean because of a sea witch trying to kill you," they just build a wall and assume she won't do the EXACT SAME THING ARIEL DID. Melody may be terrible but that's only because Ariel and Eric are terrible parents.

Ariel, your dad had vague reasons for not wanting you on land. You have a very specific and very rational reason for Melody not to be in the ocean. Why not tell her? You're sheltering her from a threat that you didnt tell her existed and then got upset when she was frustrated that shes wasnt allowed in the ocean for no given reason.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This all after, instead of telling Melody "You can't go in the ocean because of a sea witch trying to kill you," they just build a wall and assume she won't do the EXACT SAME THING ARIEL DID. Melody may be terrible but that's only because Ariel and Eric are terrible parents.

Ariel, your dad had vague reasons for not wanting you on land. You have a very specific and very rational reason for Melody not to be in the ocean. Why not tell her? You're sheltering her from a threat that you didnt tell her existed and then got upset when she was frustrated that shes wasnt allowed in the ocean for no given reason.
Anna and Elsa's parents apparently took tips from Ariel and Eric.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best princess is Mulan. She succeeds in her goal of saving her father from dying in the war, fights off an enemy invasion and saves China.

Worst princess narratively is Ariel for the reasons Pat highlighted. Actively empowers her own villain.

Worst princess overall is Pocahontas due to political reasons previously mentioned in this thread.

Additional honourable mention to Esmeralda from Hunchback who is not a princess for getting with Frolo's right hand man who was an accessory to genocide (but he's hot so OK).

Additional shout out to Chez Lindsay (formerly the nostalgia chick), for making great videos critiquing modern movies. She's well versed in Disney and here's a relevant video:

Do we actually have a list of "approved" princesses?

Using my gut, I'm going with Mulan easily.

http://disneyprincess.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Disney_Princesses

Snow White, Aurora, Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Mulan, Tiana, Pocahontas, Elsa, Anna, Merida, and Elena of Avalor

Elena, Elsa, Anna and Tiana are not considered princesses.

Last edited: