• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whose your favourite HD era GTA protagonist?

• Niko Bellic

Votes: 180 43.2%
  • Johnny Klebitz

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Luis Fernando Lopez

Votes: 27 6.5%
  • Huang Lee

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Michael De Santa

Votes: 64 15.3%
  • Trevor Philips

Votes: 76 18.2%
  • Franklin Clinton

Votes: 56 13.4%

• Total voters

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Niko is one of the most interesting protagonists in gaming and is trapped in his own game.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
i honestly think the GTA fan base is split down the line on gta forums. I notice that half people prefer mafia themed/aesthetic like GTA 4 with the Italian Mob, Russian Mob etc. and those that prefer the street gangster aesthetic like seen in San Andreas or Franklin's story

The problem with this is that alot of times many people's reasonings fall into traps of racism. I wonder if this has some truth in the split between those that like say Michael and those that like Franklin.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
I find that I'm in this weird subset of GTA players. I don't like playing this psychopathic monster. I liked Vice City because it felt like a cheesy 80's crime movie and could step back and envision it like that. I missed out on San Andreas when it came out. I loved GTAIV because I was really caught up in Nico's story and how hard it is to get out of crime. I couldn't even play GTAV because Trevor existed and I would never be able to play that character. I get that each of the three are supposed to represent the main player-base of GTA games, but I just like the open world setting, the quests, the cheesy ness. I just wanted to be more good in that world. Perhaps that's why I loved Watch_Dogs 2 so much. Or why I loved Saints Row because it was basically a comedy and couldn't be taken seriously. But by the time GTAV came around the realism clashed with the awful behavior in a bad way and just made it feel gross.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The problem with all the recent GTA games is that the story shits itself about halfway through, so I basically have to go off of the character's introduction and the first half of their respective stories. Niko probably takes the top spot for me. I liked the escalation of Niko basically looking out for his fuck-up of a cousin to offing Roman's complete and utter bastard of a employer/loan shark, Vlad. He's a fish out of water in Liberty City and he tries his best to fit in, ultimately failing, and then unwillingly falling back into shady dealings like he did back in the Balkanic criminal underworld back in his home country. Very sympathetic character overall, but I do dig Trevor as well, just for how brash and outlandish he is!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I haven't finished any HD-era GTA, but Niko is the first that comes to mind with this question.
There's nothing in particular that I dislike about him, and he seemed somewhat relatable (back when I played the game at least, it's been quite a while now though).

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I don't consider Luis to be a protagonist

TBOGT was clearly about Tony's story

Luis was just the playable character, but that's just me being super semantic i guess

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Huang Lee is criminally undervalued.

That being said, Niko was the deepest character, Michael was cool with his Soprano-esque personality and Trevor was funny. I found Franklin to be a bit tiring as he was constantly complaining, like he could absorb the fun out of a situation (maybe that makes him more realistic than the other two)

Johnny and Luis were not that likeable imo.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
i honestly think the GTA fan base is split down the line on gta forums. I notice that half people prefer mafia themed/aesthetic like GTA 4 with the Italian Mob, Russian Mob etc. and those that prefer the street gangster aesthetic like seen in San Andreas or Franklin's story

The problem with this is that alot of times many people's reasonings fall into traps of racism. I wonder if this has some truth in the split between those that like say Michael and those that like Franklin.
I've felt that the GTAV protagonists are just the tropes of the previous protagonists divided up to 3 people. A ruthless loose cannon set on revenge, reluctant ex-crime pulled back in, and the friends, homies, and family striving for a "better life" through crime.
--
I think my favorite of all time is Tommy Vercetti. But my favorite from the era mentioned is probably Michael when forced to choose. I think it's his short fuse. It just makes sense in a GTA game, and it's probably why I like Tommy too.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Franklin. He's got the funniest lines, is just kind of there, is really chill, and the straight man to everyone else's nonsense. I loved his whole "I'm fed up with this shit" attitude, and how he just wants to chill with his dog.

I guess I value his comedic value over the depth of the other protagonists. In a game like GTA, comedic value is key.
Pretty much my reasoning. Trevor was annoying and a visual nuisance, Michael's family got on my nerves, and Niko has got to be the most shitty, inconsistently written piece of shit character I've come across in a game this side of Anders around the end of Dragon Age 2.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wow I'm super surprised Niko is the runaway winner on here

but I guess GTA5 is split

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
GTA5 splitting the vote three ways is pretty funny to see. I went Trevor because he acts as some sort of weird self criticism in GTA. Also he's very well acted. I would put all 3 of the characters in 5 over Bellic, despite quoting GTA4 for years.

None of them come close to Arthur Morgan tho.

louis89

Jun 11, 2018
Tokyo
Playing through GTAV at the moment. Michael is my favourite. Franklin is okay. I hate Trevor; he's just a disgusting awful person and I don't enjoy playing as him.

Niko was forgettable. So much so that I've totally forgotten what he was like. That whole game in general was pretty forgettable to be honest.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Franklin. I loved how he just wanted to stabilize his life, getting used by all the people, and ended up rich but lonely.

Niko was just... meh, although I agree that his story was more refined.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
You could argue that Franklin was going along with those because of loneliness and depression. His dialogue when smoking weed seems to indicate that.

Of all 3 in GTA5 I found him the most interesting. Michael was laid bare so you knew everything during the game and Trevor well he is just a salad of every ridicilous, evil and insane character elements ever. He was the most boring after everything was said and done.

It sucks Rockstar didn't even attempt at giving Franklin more time to shine. Then again, I dislike GTA5 as a whole so...
Yeah, on replays I always feel like Franklin is the most interesting but least explored.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Niko still the only one that do not feel like a cartoon character with layers and a actual compeling background. the V are well played but too shallow, they are funny but not interesting at all.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Niko is the only one who has any characterization beyond "Me want money" or "Me crazy, Trevor smash"

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
How though? Michael was much more original in the context of GTA. I just don't see how Franklin comes close?
Franklin knows what he is doing is immoral, so do the others but he seemed the only one that actually thought that mattered. I wish they explored that more, because it was the most interesting thing to me. I wanted to see him finally come to a point where the flimsy justification he has for doing what he knows is immoral collapses.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Franklin knows what he is doing is immoral, so do the others but he seemed the only one that actually thought that mattered. I wish they explored that more, because it was the most interesting thing to me. I wanted to see him finally come to a point where the flimsy justification he has for doing what he knows is immoral collapses.
Well I would say Michael knows it's immoral too. He just pretends to feel guilty about it when he really much enjoys it. While Trevor is pure Id

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
who wins in a fight between Niko, Johnny, Luis, Trevor, Michael, Franklin

6 battle street fight, all against each other, hand 2 hand only

Feb 10, 2018
I liked niko the best, I like his humour and that he kept his own council.
He was also not crazy or fake like some of the other characters.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1. Niko Bellic. I liked the whole immigrant dynamic that was unique to the character. A character with a dreadful past who comes to the land of opportunity to escape it, only to dive back into a whole other world of violence and potentially lose his loved ones. Technically all by is own hand in seeking revenge. Niko suffers one the potential trope in Rockstar protagonists in that they're the overly sarcastic, reluctant criminal who thinks they're surrounded by idiots and knows better than everyone else, but there is at least more to him.

2. Trevor is of course the best protagonist of GTA V, but there are times where it gets a little too over the top for my tastes. It certainly helps him fight through the dissonance that has existed in the relationship between player and protagonist for so long in Rockstar games. In this regard, he is perhaps one of the most interesting and unique protagonists. He is second to Niko for me.

3. Johnny is cool, and its interesting to see the his established relationships within the gang develop and unfold after Billy returns to bring unease into the gang once again, but he isn't too dissimilar to Niko and his trope.

4. Michael can be an entertaining protagonist because he is this new role of washed up veteran in a mid-life crisis family part of his character, but I feel he quickly becomes overshadowed by Trevor. And his mid-life crisis bits in the story were some of the weakest parts of the story.

5. Franklin is probably the least interesting, being the same played out reluctant criminal role without the witty sarcasm and backstory of Niko or Johnny. At most, he is likable because he is a reminder of classic San Andreas that had a better gangbanger protagonist. Lamar kind of carries his story arc because Lamar is the greatest.

6. I don't remember too much about Luis to be honest. He was a hired tough guy for Gay Tony who had most of the personality throughout the story. Not too different from Franklin with having a side character carry him.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like any of them. I always kinda hoped that was part of the point.

I pick Trevor. He's a sociopathic monster, but at least he was entertaining enough to drag me through to the end of the game.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Trevor Philips is Grand Theft Auto in the same way that Agent 47 is Hitman and Doomguy is Doom. He's the perfect embodiment of the usual player and their desires with the tools they're given to use on the canvas that is the game world.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't want to say least favourite as that's not correct but the oddest one to me is Franklin. He's a character who basically helped his friend steal/repossess cars and commit low level crime who then literally turns round to him and says he doesn't have problem killing people!

Oct 27, 2017
Niko's my favorite. GTA IV's more lowkey writing probably plays a big role. I thought all three protagonists in 5 fell flat, Lamar was clearly the standout character in that game.

Fledgling

Oct 27, 2017
England
Probably Michael for me, though maybe because I was probably too young at the time to appreciate Niko as a character.

From the get-go we see present day Michael as someone who loves the thrill of being a criminal mastermind but struggles to enjoy his ill-gotten gains. He's fed up with the kind of lifestyle that being rich has afforded him.

Being a tired, older criminal as opposed to the up-and-comers we usually play as in GTA made him stand out more to me. It's also through Michael that Rockstar is really able to drive him GTA V's parody/satire.