• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of what's old is better bias going on.

80's pop was terrible. 80's indie rock and the euro-pop style were pretty nice. I still have a spot in my heart for 80's hair bands though. I was an adolescent during the time so I kind of grew up with the top 40 shit of the era.
80s indie rock was just the prequel to the 90s alternative scene. That's kinda how it is, sometimes the underground stuff in one decade becomes the mainstream of the following decade. That's how it was with New Wave in the 70s being more niche, then becoming big in the 80s.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
You do realize various forms of post production have been in use in the music industry for decades right? Blaming everything on autotune is lazy.

If you want to really see the difference between artists today and the 80s just look at 1 simple example.

Then....

Arguably one of the greatest collection of talent. A fucking masterpiece of a song.

Now.....

*BARF*

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
There are still some great acts, I'm a big fan of Adele and Florence against the Machine for example, their singing has such power but they feel like the exceptions rather than the rule.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats an interesting look at it. We could also attribute it to technology. Technology has advanced so much when it comes to producing music that artists no longer need to be perfect or strive for perfection since it can all be fixed in Post production.

Don't get me wrong, there are still masters of their craft out there. David Grohl is a fucking musical GOD and every performance by him and Foo is freaking amazing.
Albums like Pyromania and Hysteria are perfect examples of this. It took months, years and millions of dollars to write, record and put those albums together as they tried to make everything perfect under Mutt Lange's durection. Nowadays it can be done on a few software programs for cheap on a laptop in under a month.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Because you have terrible singers like Ariana and Miley and shit. There are exceptions, like Lorde and Co... but overall Instagram/Twitter followers are more important then talent these days. And they can hide this lack of talent behind technology like Autotune etc.
Hold on now..Ariana and Miley are both good singers..what you just said was complete shit

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not big on 80s music, and I can't stand modern pop. But my impression is that with 80s music, everyone sounds like they're in the 35-45 age range whereas today most singers sound 20-30.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Albums like Pyromania and Hysteria are perfect examples of this. It took months, years and millions of dollars to write, record and put those albums together as they tried to make everything perfect under Mutt Lange's durection. Nowadays it can be done on a few software programs for cheap on a laptop in under a month.

So taking way more time and money is better than being efficient? 😂😂😂😂

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Contrast Grande against Tina Turner.

Modern pop music is to varying degrees "overproduced". Lyrical complexity has given way to incredibly repetitive hooks. The issues with modern pop go deeper than how weird and hollow and, yes, "soulless" the vocals sound. Even if you're a good singer, there's no real point when your vocals are surgically disassembled and reassembled into this cynical product designed to be as catchy and shallow and disposable as possible. The craft of pop songwriting went to strange places. The Bee Gees were a pretty big influence over the years with their use of catchy lyrical hooks that songs were crafted around, but the Bee Gees had genuinely good lyrics.

For example, take something like Post Malone. He's the poster child of shallow and disposable pop music for a generation with non-existent attention spans. The use of hypnotic loops and catchy phrases uttered over and over again. The truth is that I Started a Joke by the Bee Gees demonstrates how they pioneered a lot of the techniques that shape modern pop all the way back in the 60s. But... notice how his voice cracks? Notice how he sings like a normal human being over the instruments?

Way back in the way, there wasn't a huge difference between a live performance and a studio recording. The other artists you mention such as Adele and Sam Smith are good vocalists who hold up well live. But they're cogs in a pop machine that has turned the human voice into this auto-tuned instrument that is digitally layered into the musical equivalent of soft serve ice cream. And that right there, when you think about it, is the biggest problem with modern pop. There used to be a jagged edge. There used to be chewy bits. There used to be strange flavours. There used to be genuinely ugly pop stars. But pop music has become stunningly homogenized, and cynically massaged into something that's sweet and easy to eat with a spoon. The way we consume music has changed, too. We burn out on songs way faster. We move onto the next thing. Hoping for that next high.

Goddamn this is a great post. You eloquently put down in writing a lot of the issues i have with most popular music being produced today. I'd only like to add that the range and variety of what genres are popular has shrunk considerably as well, especially when compared to the 90s. You could have Nirvana, Enya, Celine Dion, Tupac, Peter Gabriel, Metallica and Pavarotti sharing the same Top 10 chart on any given week. Looking at the charts today, everything seems taken out from the same dwindling genetic pool.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
They can release stuff all they want. They aren't making money though.
Nobody is making money except the big artist but nowadays it's easier to build an audience.
It's a double edged sword as it also lowers the bar for entry and therefor lowers the average quality of music.
That's a stupid argument because some artists would have never been able to release stuff in the 80s but now they can and I don't care if some release crap because... I can just ignore it?

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Singing was actually valued in the 80s.

Now it's a distant second to entertainment value and showmanship.
This is definitely true. My teenage daughters just outright state that singing ability isn't interesting to them or their friends...it is 100% about the vibe of the music and nothing else really matters.

Also, in an age of disposable music, the way they typically consume music is far different - typically skip to songs they really dig, listen to about 90 second of that song at most and then on to the next one they find to listen to for 90 seconds or so...they almost have to be distracted by something else to listen to a song to completion. Thank you next indeed.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize various forms of post production have been in use in the music industry for decades right? Blaming everything on autotune is lazy.
Like what? Back then if the vocal take wasn't good enough the vocalist had to redo the take. Today autotune can make a shit singer sound good and singing to vocal tracks live is now accepted.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is making money except the big artist but nowadays it's easier to build an audience.

That's a stupid argument because some artists would have never been able to release stuff in the 80s but now they can and I don't care if some release crap because... I can just ignore it?

Back then Pink Floyd was able to make Dark Side of The Moon because of support from their label. Nowadays they wouldn't have made that album because after the first flop you are dropped quickly by the record label.

Recird labels use to help artists flourish but nowadays all they care about is quick cash in the short term.

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between then and now is that now there is even more diversity in music today but you dont have to rely on radio to find it so those who like certain genres never have to interact with radio. You had to actually listen to radio back then to find anything now the only people who touch radio are old people who are stuck in their ways.There's alot of popular music that never gets on radio but since record companies still want to pretend like they have any real control you'll never hear it unless you go online. Back in the day when DJs still controlled things you might have found alot of it on radio. If you wanna see what radio back then would have looked like with todays music look at official spotify playlists. Spotify playlists have weird experimental music mixed with pop music unlike radio now does.
There may be more nuance than these numbers represent, but I just wanted to comment about the bolded:

https://www.marketingcharts.com/demographics-and-audiences/men-demographics-and-audiences-66123 claims that although radio's reach is highest with boomers as you might expect, some 66+ million millennials still listen to the radio 11+hours a week.

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insig...ica-listens-the-american-audio-landscape.html claims 95% of the millennial population listens "monthly" and 92% listen "weekly", though they do not mention hours.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/415072/radio-listener-number-usa-by-demographic-group/ claims 66+ million millennials listen weekly as well. This might be the same source as the first link above.

All this is to say, maybe such statistics are some degree of marketing and people under 30 don't listen to the radio much, but I've definitely heard before that people of all ages still "listen" to radio a surprising amount. How much does that still relate to pop music? I don't know. Other posters also already covered that MTV etc. were popular in the 80's so people didn't solely depend on radio.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
As a 34 year old, I'm not ashamed to say I quite like Miley's voice. She did a live performance of Rebel Yell with Billy Idol, and absolutely nailed it.

I love Billy Idol, he's a bad motherfucker. Also if anything this guy just shows that artists who've been around for decades actually have more respect for new artists than the audience does.
Back then Pink Floyd was able to make Dark Side of The Moon because of support from their label. Nowadays they wouldn't have made that album because after the first flop you are dropped quickly by the record label.
They could still make it today because you don't need a record label to finance an album production which is a result of technology advancing to the point everyone can make an album on a laptop. You do not need a record label to record music today which means it doesn't even matter if they get dropped after the first flop or if they never had a record deal to begin with. Back in the 80s this was not possible.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Dark Side of the Moon produced on a laptop would be heinous. There's a intangible beauty in its analog medium.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Are we really treating Dark Side of the Moon as a summit of musical output for anything? That's a fucking spot on the lewronggeneration bingo if I've ever seen one
It's not even Pink Floyd's best written or most ambitious album.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Miley has an awesome raw quality to her voice that makes her great to listen to but I wouldn't call her a great singer. Ariana is a very good singer but she could be great if she actually worked on it (and I could not care less about random whistle-like sounds) - but there really is zero reason to do so as that isn't rewarded in today's market. Adele, Smith and a group like Pentatonix are also great vocally. Also, Adam Lambert is incredible/generational talent (power, range, control, sustain, register switching, etc) but gets no run as a mid-30s somewhat flamboyant gay guy singing about relationships in a society that doesn't care about vocals. Couple recent songs (not his clubbier tracks or one of his Queen numbers - one is a tribute to Cher and another is a song he just released):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukSKzOwYvvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=w_tALF6-YNA

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Dark Side of the Moon produced on a laptop would be heinous. There's a intangible beauty in its analog medium.
Your assumption that a production on a laptop is inferior is false.
And limitation breeds creativity with music. It would have been a completely different and arguably worse record if made today.
No it would be better. Ask any artist who made music in the 80s and who still does now what he prefers. If anything you will find them saying "I wish we had the possibilities of today in the 80s" because a lot of times they simply couldn't do something but they can now.
Can you imagine Queen producing Bohemian Rhapsody or Somebody to love on a fucking laptop? *BARRRRFFFFF*
Do you understand anything about production?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
God i hate that music. Especially total Eclips of the heart.
These are studio-bands. They can play and sing everything but it does nothing for me. It's so over the top and nauseating to me.

There has to be a Southpark episode about this soulless music, right?

Anyway, that's my opinion and i would advise you not to put any weight into it if you really like this music.
Listen to what you like and own it. Seriously.

I think the 80's were a mistake in general. Sad i had to live through them in my teenage years. I felt very out of place in that period and liked nothing about it. Even the really great artists were bad in the 80's Franklin, Bowie, you name them. And i'm not a fan of most pop-music. And not a fan of dancing.
So... different strokes for different folks.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it would be better. Ask any artist who made music in the 80s and who still does now what he prefers. If anything you will find them saying "I wish we had the possibilities of today in the 80s" because a lot of times they simply couldn't do something but they can now.

Albums would have been completely different though. Def Leppard didn't write Pour Some Sugar On Me untill 1986 after Hysteria was basically finished and it turned out to be the most important track on the album. If they had the tech back then things would have been alot different.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Modern pop artists are performers and entertainers more than singers or songwriters, in large part thanks to the industry figuring out the perfect formula for forcing their way into the public's ears. Few exceptions. Don't @ me pop-era

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I think the 80's were a mistake in general. Sad i had to live through them in my teenage years. I felt very out of place in that period and liked nothing about it. Even the really great artists were bad in the 80's Franklin, Bowie, you name them. And i'm not a fan of most pop-music. And not a fan of dancing.
You can dislike 80s pop, but during the 80s there were some amazing music genres emerging outside of the pop charts. The foundations of new music, music as we know it now

There's an argument that this happens every generation, but the combination of technological and artistic innovations are undeniable during that period

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You can dislike 80s pop, but during the 80s there were some amazing music genres emerging outside of the pop charts. The foundations of new music, music as we know it now

There's an argument that this happens every generation, but the combination of technological and artistic innovations are undeniable during that period

So true. More times then not I listen to non-pop from the 80's moreso then the pop hits, by a far margin.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

Sure, there was some good stuff, thank god. And experimenting. It was a period of rebellion i guess, but often in such a dumb way. At least that's how i experienced it. I still don't like most of it.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Albums would have been completely different though. Def Leppard didn't write Pour Some Sugar On Me untill 1986 after Hysteria was basically finished and it turned out to be the most important track on the album. If they had the tech back then things would have been alot different.
They would have been different, but closer to what the artists intention were because they weren't limited by technology. Now some might not feel like that and were completely satisfied with what they had back then, but that doesn't matter. What matters is if an artist is happy with the result. If Madonna re-records one of her 80s albums today and you compare it to the originals and you think the originals were better but Madonna says the new versions are what she wanted to achieve back in the day, then who's in the right here?

I mean even if you record on a laptop, people still choose to limit themselves even today. They buy hardware synths for thousands of dollars that are more limited to what they already have in their laptop because... well they like it. I agree on your argument that this enables creativity too, but the determining factor for whether something is good or better shouldn't be you, but the artists themselves.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
God i hate that music. Especially total Eclips of the heart.
These are studio-bands. They can play and sing everything but it does nothing for me. It's so over the top and nauseating to me.

There has to be a Southpark episode about this soulless music, right?

Anyway, that's my opinion and i would advise you not to put any weight into it if you really like this music.
Listen to what you like and own it. Seriously.

What? Total Eclipse of the Heart owns. Peak Jim Steinman right there. Being OTT was the point.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Your assumption that a production on a laptop is inferior is false.

Do you understand anything about production?

The trials and tribulations of finding your sound back then added something organic to the music. You can feel it in the tracks themselves. They have a sense of soul, authenticity, and grittiness to them that I just can't find in most of the recent stuff out there.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
There's a lot of what's old is better bias going on.

80's pop was terrible. 80's indie rock and the euro-pop style were pretty nice. I still have a spot in my heart for 80's hair bands though. I was an adolescent during the time so I kind of grew up with the top 40 shit of the era.

Respectively disagree, I'd say the eighties was the best decade for pure pop music since the sixties.

As a kid I remember watching Top Of The Pops on BBC 1 and just being blown away by the sheer variety of pop stars we had. You could have some old stadium rocker from the early seventies followed by someone like Adam Ant or Duran Duran.

Then you had bands come along like ABC or later on, The Pet Shop Boys. Bands that knew exactly what they were doing as far as preserving the legacy of creating great, unashamedly "pop" music.