• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
You're talking about the very peak era of pop music. The 80's took everything about the 60's and 70's and mashed them together and made some great music. Tons of artist from Europe too.

You simply won't find a better era of pop music than the 80's.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I hate stuff like this. This notion that things were better back whenever is just false. With each generation of music there is a ton of bad and then some good that bubbles up to the top. The current generation of pop music is no different.

Nah, it's quite different today.
The crazy part is that it was more or less a consistent thing. EVERY year was like this. We can't sleep on the 90s either- This was 1990.

1 "Hold On"Wilson Phillips
2 "It Must Have Been Love"Roxette
3 "Nothing Compares 2 U"Sinéad O'Connor
4 "Poison"Bell Biv DeVoe
5 "Vogue"Madonna
6 "Vision of Love"Mariah Carey
7 "Another Day in Paradise"Phil Collins
8 "Hold On"En Vogue
9 "Cradle of Love"Billy Idol
10 "Blaze of Glory"Jon Bon Jovi
11 "Do Me!"Bell Biv DeVoe
12 "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You"Michael Bolton
13 "Pump Up the Jam"Technotronic
14 "Opposites Attract"Paula Abdul and The Wild Pair
15 "Escapade"Janet Jackson
16 "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You"Heart
17 "Close to You"Maxi Priest
18 "Black Velvet"Alannah Myles
19 "Release Me"Wilson Phillips
20 "Don't Know Much"Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
21 "All Around the World"Lisa Stansfield
22 "I Wanna Be Rich"Calloway
23 "Rub You the Right Way"Johnny Gill
24 "She Ain't Worth It"Glenn Medeiros and Bobby Brown
25 "If Wishes Came True"Sweet Sensation
26 "The Power"Snap!
27 "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection"Nelson
28 "Love Will Lead You Back"Taylor Dayne
29 "Don't Wanna Fall in Love"Jane Child
30 "Two to Make It Right"Seduction
31 "Sending All My Love"Linear
32 "Unskinny Bop"Poison
33 "Step by Step"New Kids on the Block
34 "Dangerous"Roxette
35 "We Didn't Start the Fire"Billy Joel
36 "I Don't Have the Heart"James Ingram
37 "Downtown Train"Rod Stewart
38 "Rhythm Nation"Janet Jackson
39 "I'll Be Your Everything"Tommy Page
40 "Roam"The B-52s
41 "Everything"Jody Watley
42 "Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)"Soul II Soul featuring Caron Wheeler
43 "Here and Now"Luther Vandross
44 "Alright"Janet Jackson
45 "Ice Ice Baby"Vanilla Ice
46 "Blame It on the Rain"Milli Vanilli
47 "Have You Seen Her"MC Hammer
48 "With Every Beat of My Heart"Taylor Dayne
49 "Come Back to Me"Janet Jackson
50 "No More Lies"Michel'le
51 "Praying for Time"George Michael
52 "How Can We Be Lovers"Michael Bolton
53 "Do You Remember"Phil Collins
54 "Ready or Not"After 7
55 "U Can't Touch This"MC Hammer
56 "I Wish It Would Rain Down"Phil Collins
57 "Just Between You and Me"Lou Gramm
58 "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven"Phil Collins
59 "Black Cat"Janet Jackson
60 "Can't Stop"After 7
61 "Janie's Got a Gun"Aerosmith
62 "The Humpty Dance"Digital Underground
63 "I'll Be Your Shelter"Taylor Dayne
64 "Free Fallin'"Tom Petty

Outside of the talent of the artists involved- look at how varied that list is. Michael Bolton. Tom Petty. Digital Underground. MC Hammer. Rod Stewart. The B-52s. Billy Joel. Sinead O'Connor. Poison. Wilson Phillips. Johnny Gill. Aerosmith. Mariah Carey. Luther Vandross.

That list hits basically every demographic from 8 to 80. Everyone was buying it. People don't understand how badly consolidation fucked over the kinds of music that got mainstream airplay. The 2010 list in comparison is super, SUPER narrow. If you're over 30, you're tuning that out.

Yup, exactly. There was way more musical diversity in the charts back then - you'd have pop, metal, folk, soundtracks, reggae, instrumentals, country, adult contemporary, r&b, blues, new wave, soul, etc. all sitting side-by-side in the charts. When we say "pop music" today it's a very particular dance/diva sound people think of and the charts reflect that today. Back then if you said you were a "pop" fan it really could mean anything.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Modern pop music focuses too much on beat and not melody.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because you have terrible singers like Ariana and Miley and shit. There are exceptions, like Lorde and Co... but overall Instagram/Twitter followers are more important then talent these days. And they can hide this lack of talent behind technology like Autotune etc.

Oct 25, 2017
For example, take something like Post Malone. He's the poster child of shallow and disposable pop music for a generation with non-existent attention spans. The use of hypnotic loops and catchy phrases uttered over and over again. The truth is that I Started a Joke by the Bee Gees demonstrates how they pioneered a lot of the techniques that shape modern pop all the way back in the 60s. But... notice how his voice cracks? Notice how he sings like a normal human being over the instruments?

Way back in the way, there wasn't a huge difference between a live performance and a studio recording. The other artists you mention such as Adele and Sam Smith are good vocalists who hold up well live. But they're cogs in a pop machine that has turned the human voice into this auto-tuned instrument that is digitally layered into the musical equivalent of soft serve ice cream. And that right there, when you think about it, is the biggest problem with modern pop. There used to be a jagged edge. There used to be chewy bits. There used to be strange flavours. There used to be genuinely ugly pop stars. But pop music has become stunningly homogenized, and cynically massaged into something that's sweet and easy to eat with a spoon. The way we consume music has changed, too. We burn out on songs way faster. We move onto the next thing. Hoping for that next high.

I know of the Bee Gees but always think of them with the stereotypical falsetto songs. Good GRAVY the guy in your song has a good voice.

I also agree with the sentiment several people have expressed that, although there are creative and talented performers in modern times, music has become very overproduced where it's hard to even hear the human voice and whether the person can sing well.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I hate stuff like this. This notion that things were better back whenever is just false. With each generation of music there is a ton of bad and then some good that bubbles up to the top. The current generation of pop music is no different.

The music industry, like the games industry and the movie industry, has optimized around blockbusters and megastars to the detriment of the good low, or middle-tier artist.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's quite different today.

Yup, exactly. There was way more musical diversity in the charts back then - you'd have pop, metal, folk, soundtracks, reggae, instrumentals, country, adult contemporary, r&b, blues, new wave, etc. all sitting side-by-side in the charts. When we say "pop music" today it's a very particular dance/diva sound people think of and the charts reflect that today. Back then if you said you were a "pop" fan it rally could mean anything.
The difference between then and now is that now there is even more diversity in music today but you dont have to rely on radio to find it so those who like certain genres never have to interact with radio. You had to actually listen to radio back then to find anything now the only people who touch radio are old people who are stuck in their ways. There's alot of popular music that never gets on radio but since record companies still want to pretend like they have any real control you'll never hear it unless you go online. Back in the day when DJs still controlled things you might have found alot of it on radio. If you wanna see what radio back then would have looked like with todays music look at official spotify playlists. Spotify playlists have weird experimental music mixed with pop music unlike radio now does.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly agree that pop singers in general are required to have less talent thanks to production techniques. But there are artists today that are just as talented.

For some reason the pop music people consume the most these days is very formulaic and no one cares if someone cant sing live. I really cant even put a finger on what society as a whole enjoy about the huge songs these days. Most of them aren't my cup of tea and it leaves me scratching my head but I try not to be a hater.

Here is an example of an actually talented artist these days: Jason Derulo. Some of his most successful songs lyrically are trash and meant to be club bangers but then he had this song and of course it didnt do near as well.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Also call me crazy or super narrow minded, but I just can't help but feel that bar a few exceptions, a lot of music records and management focuses too much on appearance and not talent. I'm not saying there weren't good looking people in the 80s, just that they were in a majority of average looking talents. Nowadays its all pretty faces and glamour, something to slap the music onto. I mean I wasn't around for that era but looking at music videos and the like I cannot help but feel marketability has played too big a factor this last decade

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
There is a lot of talent today and a lot of shit in the 80's. But as many of you have said, the top had more variation. I am not that well versed in modern music, but I find that although there are good singers, there has been a sort of a homogenization of the singing style. You have to sound a certain way to complement the production.

In 80's synth pop you could go from Jimmy Somerville

to Serge Gainsbourg

two totally different vocal performances on songs that could well be played back to back at the same club.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference between then and now is that now there is even more diversity in music today but you dont have to rely on radio to find it so those who like certain genres never have to interact with radio. You had to actually listen to radio back then to find anything now the only people who touch radio are old people who are stuck in their ways. There's alot of popular music that never gets on radio but since record companies still want to pretend like they have any real control you'll never hear it unless you go online. Back in the day when DJs still controlled things you might have found alot of it on radio. If you wanna see what radio back then would have looked like with todays music look at official spotify playlists. Spotify playlists have weird experimental music mixed with pop music unlike radio now does.

Exactly this. With Spotify, Soundcloud and other services there are plenty of interesting smaller acts out there if people are willing to dig. If the Top 40 ain't doing it for you fam do some actual work to find some interesting stuff. There is more choice than ever and something out there for everyone but people wanna act like because its not on the radio that it isn't relevant or something.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is both reverb on one side and compression on the other side of the 80s.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The difference between then and now is that now there is even more diversity in music today but you dont have to rely on radio to find it

MTV launched in 1981.

VH1 launched in 1985.

MuchMusic launched in 1984.

"The Box" launched in 1985.

Nobody was totally reliant on radio for the vast majority of the time period we're talking about.

so those who like certain genres never have to interact with radio. You had to actually listen to radio back then to find anything now the only people who touch radio are old people who are stuck in their ways.

Current terrestrial radio looks nothing like radio of the 80s and 90s. Back then you had multiple rock stations and multiple hip hop stations with different playlists in addition to the top 40, smooth jazz, and adult contemporary programming. Currently in my market most of these are either dead or useless, and many of those FM stations have switched over to either Talk or Sports.

There's alot of popular music that never gets on radio

Modern charts that determine what's "popular" don't rely on radio playlists. It's a complicated blend of music sales, radio plays, youtube plays, and streams from places like spotify and apple music. It takes all of the different outlets you're talking about into account when looking at the Billboard 50 or 100 or whatever and is STILL demonstrably worse.

how much worse? Well, "Baby Shark" made it's debut at #32 recently. https://www.billboard.com/articles/.../baby-shark-billboard-hot-100-top-40-pinkfong

Last edited:

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

I don't know, I was a teenager in the 80s and those who were really into music hunted for records in the store and did not rely on radio. There was still a lot of anti-radio/MTV sentiment back then as well, with plenty of talented artists that were shunned by airplay. "Hunting" for your musical preference was still very much a thing back then. This idea that older folks had radio serve them up their tastes is a bit misleading.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't know, I was a teenager in the 80s and those who were really into music hunted for records in the store and did not rely on radio. There was still a lot of anti-radio/MTV sentiment back then as well, with plenty of talented artists that were shunned by airplay. "Hunting" for your musical preference was still very much a thing back then. This idea that older folks had radio serve them up their tastes is a bit misleading.

Radio was still probably primary for "most" people- but yeah if you were well outside the mainstream you were hanging out in record stores or going to local shows.

College Radio is probably underrated here though- I spent a couple of years as a college radio DJ and the amount of shit I had to play with absolutely positively no oversight for several hours a night was mindblowing.

edit: This was around the time when I discovered Industrial Music so there was a shitload of Wumpscut, Nitzer Ebb, Einsturzende, Frontline Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Revolting Cocks and Velvet Acid Christ getting airplay.

You had to generally be within a couple miles of a university to hear THAT stuff though, almost all university radio is pretty low power.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Based your choice on album covers.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Based your choice on album covers.

It may be shocking to find out, but record stores would routinely actually play stuff if you bothered to ask them to hear something, and give recommendations based on what you said you liked.

I told a guy once I was looking for Metallica and he whipped out bootleg versions of Garage Days from behind the counter that were completely out of print and damned near impossible to find in 1995.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It may be shocking to find out, but record stores would routinely actually play stuff if you bothered to ask them to hear something, and give recommendations based on what you said you liked.

I told a guy once I was looking for Metallica and he whipped out bootleg versions of Garage Days from behind the counter that were completely out of print and damned near impossible to find in 1995.
Yup, blind purchasing was definitely a thing. There was a fantastic element of mystery and anticipation.
Both true of course.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. not even a debate. This is the top 60 from 1985:

1 "Careless Whisper"Wham!
2 "Like a Virgin"Madonna
3 "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"Wham!
4 "I Want to Know What Love Is"Foreigner
5 "I Feel for You"Chaka Khan
6 "Out of Touch"Hall & Oates
7 "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"Tears for Fears
8 "Money for Nothing"Dire Straits
9 "Crazy for You"Madonna
10 "Take on Me"a-ha
11 "Everytime You Go Away"Paul Young
12 "Easy Lover"Philip Bailey and Phil Collins
13 "Can't Fight This Feeling"REO Speedwagon
14 "We Built This City"Starship
15 "The Power of Love"Huey Lewis and the News
16 "Don't You (Forget About Me)"Simple Minds
17 "Cherish"Kool & the Gang
18 "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)"John Parr
19 "The Heat Is On"Glenn Frey
20 "We Are the World"USA for Africa
21 "Shout"Tears for Fears
22 "Part-Time Lover"Stevie Wonder
23 "Saving All My Love For You"Whitney Houston
24 "Heaven"Bryan Adams
25 "Everything She Wants"Wham!
26 "Cool It Now"New Edition
27 "Miami Vice Theme"Jan Hammer
28 "Loverboy"Billy Ocean
29 "Lovergirl"Teena Marie
30 "You Belong to the City"Glenn Frey
31 "Oh Sheila"Ready for the World
32 "Rhythm of the Night"DeBarge
33 "One More Night"Phil Collins
34 "Sea of Love"The Honeydrippers
35 "A View to a Kill"Duran Duran
36 "The Wild Boys"Duran Duran
37 "You're the Inspiration"Chicago
38 "Neutron Dance"The Pointer Sisters
39 "We Belong"Pat Benatar
40 "Nightshift"Commodores
41 "Things Can Only Get Better"Howard Jones
42 "All I Need"Jack Wagner
43 "Freeway of Love"Aretha Franklin
44 "Never Surrender"Corey Hart
45 "Sussudio"Phil Collins
46 "Strut"Sheena Easton
47 "You Give Good Love"Whitney Houston
48 "The Search Is Over"Survivor
49 "Missing You"Diana Ross
50 "Separate Lives"Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin
51 "Raspberry Beret"Prince and The Revolution
52 "Suddenly"Billy Ocean
53 "The Boys of Summer"Don Henley
54 "One Night in Bangkok"Murray Head
55 "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free"Sting
56 "Obsession"Animotion
57 "We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)"Tina Turner
58 "Material Girl"Madonna
59 "Better Be Good to Me"Tina Turner
60 "Head over Heels"Tears for Fears

This was 2010:

1 "Tik Tok"Kesha
2 "Need You Now"Lady Antebellum
3 "Hey, Soul Sister"Train
4 "California Gurls"Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg
5 "OMG"Usher featuring will.i.am
6 "Airplanes"B.o.B featuring Hayley Williams
7 "Love the Way You Lie"Eminem featuring Rihanna
8 "Bad Romance"Lady Gaga
9 "Dynamite"Taio Cruz
10 "Break Your Heart"Taio Cruz featuring Ludacris
11 "Nothin' on You"B.o.B featuring Bruno Mars
12 "I Like It"Enrique Iglesias featuring Pitbull
13 "BedRock"Young Money featuring Lloyd
14 "In My Head"Jason Derulo
15 "Rude Boy"Rihanna
16 "Telephone"Lady Gaga featuring Beyoncé
17 "Teenage Dream"Katy Perry
18 "Just the Way You Are"Bruno Mars
19 "Cooler Than Me"Mike Posner
20 "Imma Be"The Black Eyed Peas
21 "Empire State of Mind"Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys
22 "DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love"Usher featuring Pitbull
23 "Billionaire"Travie McCoy featuring Bruno Mars
24 "Not Afraid"Eminem
25 "Replay"Iyaz
26 "Sexy Bitch"David Guetta featuring Akon
27 "Breakeven"The Script
28 "Your Love Is My Drug"Kesha
29 "I Gotta Feeling"The Black Eyed Peas
30 "Fireflies"Owl City
31 "Say Aah"Trey Songz featuring Fabolous
32 "Find Your Love"Drake
33 "Alejandro"Lady Gaga
34 "Ridin' Solo"Jason Derulo
35 "Just a Dream"Nelly
36 "How Low"Ludacris
37 "Like a G6"Far East Movement featuring The Cataracs and Dev
38 "Carry Out"Timbaland featuring Justin Timberlake
39 "Haven't Met You Yet"Michael Bublé
40 "Club Can't Handle Me"Flo Rida featuring David Guetta
41 "Down"Jay Sean featuring Lil Wayne
42 "Bulletproof"La Roux
43 "Whatcha Say"Jason Derulo
44 "Baby"Justin Bieber featuring Ludacris
45 "Whataya Want from Me"Adam Lambert
46 "Mine"Taylor Swift
47 "Only Girl (In the World)"Rihanna
48 "Live Like We're Dying"Kris Allen
49 "Hard"Rihanna featuring Jeezy
50 "Young Forever"Jay-Z featuring Mr Hudson
51 "Blah Blah Blah"Kesha featuring 3OH!3
52 "Bottoms Up"Trey Songz featuring Nicki Minaj
53 "Do You Remember"Jay Sean featuring Sean Paul and Lil Jon
54 "All the Right Moves"OneRepublic
55 "According to You"Orianthi
56 "My Chick Bad"Ludacris featuring Nicki Minaj
57 "You Belong with Me"Taylor Swift
58 "Meet Me Halfway"The Black Eyed Peas
9 "Take It Off"Kesha
60 "Over"Drake

The quality drop is a very, very real thing. And you could do this for almost every decade in the 2000s.

edit: #29 is a personal favorite. I mean...holy shit. There's nobody out there like this anymore.

My dude.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the backlash sentiment is that it's a blanket statement too. You might be offended by the notion that popular musicians, on average, had more vocal talent in the 80's than what was popular in the 2000's.

However, if you paint it with the "the notion that things were better back whenever is just false" and "the current generation of pop music is no different" brush, you've basically both-sides'd the situation and dismissed everything with no evidence whatsoever.

Multiple people have been posting concrete examples in the thread of top-60 lists, people who weren't traditionally attractive yet were very vocally talented, the change in production, the change in media ownership, and so forth, contrasted to your claim that there's no difference.

The American media and popular landscape alone has MASSIVELY changed from 1980 to today, almost 40 years later. Technology has massively changed. Media and smartphones and the internet and everything else has massively changed. Are you truly suggesting that despite enormous upheaval over 4 decades, this ONE THING hasn't changed at all for some reason and remains the same over time? I'd say it is ludicrous to suggest that every generation is the same on average about almost anything. The world changes.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because the 80s was the pop culture equivalent of putting your keys in the blender: Loud and random as fuck
80s-clothing-1.jpg

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
Oh another one of these old people threads.
We're getting dangerously close to someone saying "rap is crap," aren't we? I know some of y'all are thinking it but you know you can't say it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the backlash sentiment is that it's a blanket statement too. You might be offended by the notion that popular musicians, on average, had more vocal talent in the 80's than what was popular in the 2000's.

However, if you paint it with the "the notion that things were better back whenever is just false" and "the current generation of pop music is no different" brush, you've basically both-sides'd the situation and dismissed everything with no evidence whatsoever.

Multiple people have been posting concrete examples in the thread of top-60 lists, people who weren't traditionally attractive yet were very vocally talented, the change in production, the change in media ownership, and so forth, contrasted to your claim that there's no difference.

The American media and popular landscape alone has MASSIVELY changed from 1980 to today, almost 40 years later. Technology has massively changed. Media and smartphones and the internet and everything else has massively changed. Are you truly suggesting that despite enormous upheaval over 4 decades, this ONE THING hasn't changed at all for some reason and remains the same over time? I'd say it is ludicrous to suggest that every generation is the same on average about almost anything. The world changes.

Yeah the world does change and so do standards and what people expect out of things. So judging current music by the standards of the 80's is ridiculous. That's my entire point. The music game is entirely different these days. And that isn't and inherent negative like so many people are painting it as. Good music exists these days outside of the bubble of radio airplay and mainstream top 40 hits. That wasn't as true in the 80's as it is today. And to be clear I like a lot of stuff from the 80's. I have Micheal Jackson on my Apple music playlist right next to current K-pop hits. Y'all need to expand your horizons if you think current music is bad.

Oct 25, 2017

No. I think the problem is your not listening to the right people. Here is a song from my cousin j. S ondara.

Your cousin is talented and it's great that people are getting introduced to him!

However, I want to point out that this is basically what the OP is talking about. The question the thread asked was about 80's vocals compared to modern "pop music". As in, popular music that is widely known and listened to. I mean no disrespect to your cousin, but I had never heard of him before today, despite his clear talent and the fact that people in this very thread are admiring him. Why? Because, on average, your cousin ISN'T making what is considered "pop music" today, I would argue, nor is he being pushed by giant media networks that have consolidated compared to previous decades.

So yes, there are absolutely talented and/or hardworking people who are doing good things...but you don't necessarily hear them in the pop music sphere on the radio or whatever.

Radio is less relevant now. Thank god, I'd much rather be drowning in wavy trap and angular guitars then 80's pop cheese
Isn't that what's popular on the radio now? I basically hear Post Malone-ish stuff when I do listen to pop radio.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Third Stage was an awesome album. My favorite was Can'tcha Say (Still in Love)

I fondly remember listening to the whole album on repeat as I was drawing for this space opera anime (Macross/Robotech-esque) comic me and my friends were making in middle school. A lot of that 80s (and 70s) powerful music really got those creative juices flowing for me! Damn, good times!

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I wonder if it has anything to do with modern "wall of sound" mixing that prevents the singer from standing out as much against the backing.

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
I am a sucker for the 80s sound to be honest. I agree, the songs feel like they had IT.
Some examples below.

That song murders me every time, and its that combo of Ceteras voice (He had a truly unique and powerful voice) along with Chers.

Yes I am a sucker for Duets

But if you just look at the voices of that Generation. Both male and female voices arguably had some of the greatest of all time. Particularly voices that conveyed the emtion you are talking about.

Freddie Mercury
Steve Perry
Meatloaf
Cindy Lauper
Whitney Houston
Michael Jackson
Sting
Bon Jovi
Aerosmith
Prince

Each and every single one was unique and allowed to be unique. Nothing cookie cutter about their voices or their presentation.

Dec 22, 2017
I read a theory years ago that pop culture is basically like xeroxing a xerox. And how each time you make a copy of a copy the quality gets a little worse.

80's artists grew up on power vocals of the 60's and 70's. And those men/women had grown up singing in choirs and jazz/blues clubs.

Multiple generations later you have artists who grew up listening to Britney Spears. Of course there are other factors and people who break the mold, but it seems plausible to me.

Edit: this "theory" also works for guitar players. No matter how cheesy you think 80's hairbands are, you have to admit they had some talented lead guitarists. Not many bands these days can shred like that.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
We're getting dangerously close to someone saying "rap is crap," aren't we? I know some of y'all are thinking it but you know you can't say it.

I'm always surprised by all of these posts in these thread. In 2019.
Third Stage was an awesome album. My favorite was Can'tcha Say (Still in Love)

I fondly remember listening to the whole album on repeat as I was drawing for this space opera anime (Macross/Robotech-esque) comic me and my friends were making in middle school. A lot of that 80s (and 70s) powerful music really got those creative juices flowing for me! Damn, good times!

The whole album is great. Gotta give it for Amanda.

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
I read a theory years ago that pop culture is basically like xeroxing a xerox. And how each time you make a copy of a copy the quality gets a little worse.

80's artists grew up on power vocals of the 60's and 70's. And those men/women had grown up singing in choirs and jazz/blues clubs.

Multiple generations later you have artists who grew up listening to Britney Spears. Of course there are other factors and people who break the mold, but it seems plausible to me.

Thats an interesting look at it. We could also attribute it to technology. Technology has advanced so much when it comes to producing music that artists no longer need to be perfect or strive for perfection since it can all be fixed in Post production.

Don't get me wrong, there are still masters of their craft out there. David Grohl is a fucking musical GOD and every performance by him and Foo is freaking amazing.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I love in 2019 ageism is still expectable with any thread that goes back a few decades. Like Rap wasn't around in the 80's?