• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's based on an informed decision to support unregulated and unhindered free market capitalism, despite the harrowing costs in the present (poverty, unaffordable health care, etc. ) and future (climate change).

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Then why don't people believe the same thing about corporations? If you do believe the corporations are corrupt as well, then why wouldn't you want a union to protect you from the corporations?

Unions aren't some perfect construct - they're run by people that can be just as shitty as corporations. But if you don't have organized labor, you have no way to push back against corporations, which certainly are organized. And they know that divide and conquer is a winning strategy.
People don't believe corporations are corrupt?
Who other than politicians believe that?

I never said unions are bad as a whole in fact they are way better han the alternative. They just are the beginning of the fix not the final solution.
Unfortunately the political discourse tends to be you are either pro ir against union instead of looking for a more nuanced solution.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A combination of years of rhetoric propaganda which were combined with those same crowds pointing to legitimate bad examples of unions gone wrong (it happens, contrary to what the 100% pro union crowd would have you believe) as if its the anywhere near the norm.

Unions, and the threat of unions, is what helps keep capitalism in check. If the workforce is unionized they can better fight for their rights. If the workforce is not unionized the company either cracks down on it hard (Hi Amazon) or it tries its best to give workers good pay, good benefits in order to avoid a union. Which I see as a positive as well.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
There was severe union corruption back in the day and the legacy lives on. Quite literally as well, the head of the Teamsters is Jimmy Hoffa (his namesake son).
Also, the whole commie slander lives on in people's minds.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for all Americans, because we're quite the diverse bunch in terms of opinions.

Personally, I'm not a fan of being required to be in a union to be able to hold a job in a specific field. I don't like the idea of having to pay dues to an organization that will spend that money to lobby on things not necessarily related to the area of employment I'm in and/or on political topics I don't agree with.

That's just me.
Unions made a lot more sense at the beginning of the 20th century when there weren't nearly the protections and regulations we have today. In my personal opinion, they served their purpose, but they've become largely outmoded. Especially if your employer provides good health coverage, paid vacation, and you take care of your retirement on your own.

But hey, more power if you want to be in one. My mom is certainly still in the teacher's union and really likes her retirement benefits.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The uber elite successfully pitted middle America against each other. They pitted blue collar workers against their middle management white collar counter parts while the elite laughed the fake war they created between the groups.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Because both major parties have spent decades dismantling unions and union protections while demonizing the very concept of organized labor. After a while, that kind of concerted effort has the effect of inducing many people to believe it actually is a bad thing.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I can't speak for all Americans, because we're quite the diverse bunch in terms of opinions.

Personally, I'm not a fan of being required to be in a union to be able to hold a job in a specific field. I don't like the idea of having to pay dues to an organization that will spend that money to lobby on things not necessarily related to the area of employment I'm in and/or on political topics I don't agree with.

That's just me.
Unions made a lot more sense at the beginning of the 20th century when there weren't nearly the protections and regulations we have today. In my personal opinion, they served their purpose, but they've become largely outmoded. Especially if your employer provides good health coverage, paid vacation, and you take care of your retirement on your own.

But hey, more power if you want to be in one. My mom is certainly still in the teacher's union and really likes her retirement benefits.

What protections do you think you now have as an American worker such that unions are no longer necessary? Because you really don't have any.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Unions as a concept are not the issue.

The bigger issue is how individual unions behave as well as the idea of larger unions versus specialized smaller unions. I don't like the idea of unions for entire industries because they can be largely unaware of issues affecting people at a given company or area. The idea of a single company unionizing and therefore having closer aligned goals is much preferable IMO.

I have also seen first-hand how unions can reduce productivity and waste resources. It can be incredibly hard to fire a union worker short of explicit malicious behavior and almost never for performance related issues. It also creates an environment that makes it extremely difficult if not impossible to effect changes in workflows or improvements to underlying systems due to things like mandatory trainings for so much as an additional checkbox in a form or computer software.

Just as is the case in many issues in the world, it's not quite as black and white as people would like to believe and many times the idea is excellent but execution can never live up to that idea in practice. As long as there are bad actors in the world, no idealized system will ever live up to the expectations placed upon it.

Thoughtful post.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I can only speak from personal experience, but I'd wager more than half of the people I've met in life are interested in only doing the absolute bare minimum required to get by, whether it's in school or at work or otherwise. A lot of times, a union job allows that "bare minimum" to be dramatically lower than a non-union job and that can really screw over co-workers who are interested in putting in more effort for whatever reason.

It does suck, because unions as a concept are great. Banding together to with fellow workers to have more power in negotiations with employers is a sound concept. It just turns into a mess in practice in many cases.
IF the company is still profitable this is not a problem. We are influenced to think working ourselves to death is the only proper way to live, its not.

Unions slowing down production, is always a good thing until the company sees a downturn, then the union works with the company to get back on track.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938?
The Family and Medical Leave Act?

So the right to a minimum wage (that is nowhere near enough to live on no matter what part of the country you are in), the outlawing of child labor, time-and-a-half pay for overtime (so long as you aren't salaried and therefore exempt), and the right to take unpaid leave without being fired?

I mean, if you're satisfied with these bare-ass minimum concessions, that's cool I guess. I find them grossly unsatisfactory for a number of reasons.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Decades of propaganda combined with the fact that some American unions were corrupted by organized crime.
Yup. The unions during the 70s and 80s were vicious. My dad's got a story where he was working a warehouse job and kept getting warnings to slow down and not thinking anything of it, kept doing his job at the same rate. Then, his boss came over and told him to go home for the day and pointed out the two union guys who had been watching him all day and heavily implied if he didn't leave his shift then, he wouldn't be leaving his shift on two legs. Basically, the unions got to the point where they were protecting their nastiest members more than they protected the people who needed the unions the most at least in my neck of the woods. Combine that with the overall decline of unions and over a century of vehement anti-union propaganda and if you have an ecosystem that is outright hostile to the idea of a union. It's very unfortunate.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Simple.

We've been taught that America has unlimited opportunity. You can dream about it, then achieve it if you work hard enough.
Work your way from the bottom to the top, and own a company/successful business.

No one wants to have to deal with Unions/Taxes etc when they get wealthy. Obviously. You don't want people meddling in your future enterprise.
meanwhile, you're working 50 jobs at 2 cents a month. But you will get there one day. Business/success is the dream. Which is why they get away with murder socially/legally speaking.

Oct 25, 2017
So the right to a minimum wage (that is nowhere near enough to live on no matter what part of the country you are in), the outlawing of child labor, time-and-a-half pay for overtime (so long as you aren't salaried and therefore exempt), and the right to take unpaid leave without being fired?

I mean, if you're satisfied with these bare-ass minimum concessions, that's cool I guess. I find them grossly unsatisfactory for a number of reasons.
That's still more an argument for labor reforms at the state and federal level than for unions per se. Especially since unions can be a bulwark against reforms that may benefit more people.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two big reasons, propaganda and unions themselves. Anti union propaganda has been rampant in this country for decades and it's made an impact.

Corruption within big unions themselves has done a tremendous amount of damage to their reputation. Lack of regulation in the USA we normally focus on corporations but unions needs proper regulation to control corruption too. The police union and baseball unions have done incalculable damage to how people view unions.
This is it.

Understanding the latter is really important, because Unions, while generally an overall positive, are very much fighting fire w/ fire as many of the same problem incentives people complain about in business operations also apply to unions. Things like Police and Transportation unions deliberately seeking to understaff their positions so that they can rack up overtime is one way in which this happens and will sour people on them based on their experiences.

The former is the easy one for people on the left to grasp. The latter is the harder one, especially if people are coming from a middle/upper-middle class+ perspective where they've had little to no interaction with them.
The uber elite successfully pitted middle America against each other. They pitted blue collar workers against their middle management white collar counter parts while the elite laughed the fake war they created between the groups.
They didn't pit the blue collar workers again middle management, they pitted them against nonwhite groups. Disrupting unionization in the 80s was politically beneficial for Republicans because when the racist white person who only voted Dem because of the union directly providing benefits, they started to vote with the hyper racist party while claiming that the black people only voted Dem for the benefits (because they were projecting.) IIRC a state being RTW in the 80s gave the GOP a +3% bump in their overall electoral results. (not sure on the exact number but I think it was 3- It was low single digits in the 3-5% range.)

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
That's still more an argument for labor reforms at the state and federal level than for unions per se. Especially since unions can be a bulwark against reforms that may benefit more people.

And how do you think you're going to get those reforms without unions pushing for it? Do you expect the two major parties who have spent the last 30 years dismantling as many worker protections as possible to just magnanimously duke us these reforms out of the goodness of their hearts?

Not going to happen. Workers rights are never gifted to the populace by benevolent legislators, especially in a system of government where major corporations with vested interests in stripping away those rights can lobby congresspeople with tens of millions of dollars every year. They are fought for and won through organized and collective bargaining that pressures government into acceding to their demands.

Unions aren't perfect, but they're the reason you have any protections as a laborer at all, and they're still necessary to not only achieve greater protections but to even keep the meager ones you already have.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I am from a Southern Canadian city that was ( in some ways still) centered around the automotive industry. Not sure if there is any relationship there, but a significant amount of labour workers in the industry, and outside, are anti-union. It's baffling.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Unions have a huge influence in the Las Vegas market. I feel this isn't an issue in blue states

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Unions have a huge influence in the Las Vegas market. I feel this isn't an issue in blue states

For real. That hospitality workers strike last year must have cost Caesars a bundle.

It's still so weird to me personally, seeing people organize and succeed in blue states, because I've spent the entirety of my professional career in a red state where unions have almost no bargaining power.
That compounded with being in the tech industry, which is already massively underrepresented as far as unions are concerned nationwide.

Seriously though, I actually can't imagine myself going on strike because my brain would immediately tell me, "Why are you doing this? You will lose everything."
And in Georgia, yeah, my employer would need no other reason to terminate me, then I would be ineligible for most assistance in the interim.

Last edited:

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because people like to free-ride, and are ignorant and susceptible to really bad arguments and just-so anecdotes, such as the below:

This is it.

Understanding the latter is really important, because Unions, while generally an overall positive, are very much fighting fire w/ fire as many of the same problem incentives people complain about in business operations also apply to unions. Things like Police and Transportation unions deliberately seeking to understaff their positions so that they can rack up overtime is one way in which this happens and will sour people on them based on their experiences.

Of course, the union as institution has no incentive to understaff positions, but rather the opposite, since dues are typically not assessed on overtime. Moreover staffing is a management right that is rarely bargained.

They didn't pit the blue collar workers again middle management, they pitted them against nonwhite groups. Disrupting unionization in the 80s was politically beneficial for Republicans because when the racist white person who only voted Dem because of the union directly providing benefits, they started to vote with the hyper racist party while claiming that the black people only voted Dem for the benefits (because they were projecting.) IIRC a state being RTW in the 80s gave the GOP a +3% bump in their overall electoral results. (not sure on the exact number but I think it was 3- It was low single digits in the 3-5% range.)

That's because RTW states were, until recently, in the south. This also completely ignores the role of unions, especially the UAW, in pushing for integration.

As we see, "woke" neoliberal types whose interaction with working people is limited to asking for more milk in their frappucino are just as susceptible to right-wing propaganda as any Fox-news watching boomer is.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Honestly, reading these replies about union horror stories makes me question if a union in the US and here in Europe are even the same thing.

None of my employers ever had a problem firing someone. And everyone here has union rights.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because people like to free-ride, and are ignorant and susceptible to really bad arguments and just-so anecdotes, such as the below:

Of course, the union as institution has no incentive to understaff positions, but rather the opposite, since dues are typically not assessed on overtime. Moreover staffing is a management right that is rarely bargained.
The union is made up and beholden to employees. Just like the DCCC is beholden to sitting reps. Just as the DCCC's membership is very interested in protecting themselves from primary challengers, union members can be very interested in protecting lucrative overtime that new workers threaten.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/12/09/why-does-metro-suck-dangerous-accidents-escalator-outages/

The ROCC's insular culture was partly shaped by financial motives. The center was sorely understaffed—according to the FTA, of 52 controller positions this past spring, 18, or about a third, were unfilled. Because of the shortage, controllers could significantly augment their salaries with overtime; the FTA found that some worked 12-hour shifts as many as seven days a week. "You'd have people in there making almost double their salary in overtime," Scarbrough says. According to the trainees, the parking lot reserved for ROCC staff was filled with Mercedes and BMWs. "It looks like a CEO's parking lot," Colvin says.

To some veterans, the new hires were a threat to their paydays. "The trainers warned us about that," says Colvin. "They were like, 'Look, [controllers are] going to be hostile toward you because you're cutting into their overtime.' "

This is not a behavior unique to the WMATA workers- you see it w/ police protecting their overtime. I bring this up not to shit on unions, but to point out that not all aspects are positive, and that the overall benefits are dispersed, while the negatives can be quite acute and the part most likely to directly impact someone personally.

That's because RTW states were, until recently, in the south. This also completely ignores the role of unions, especially the UAW, in pushing for integration.

As we see, "woke" neoliberal types whose interaction with working people is limited to asking for more milk in their frappucino are just as susceptible to right-wing propaganda as any Fox-news watching boomer is.
Those unions sure as hell didn't start out pushing for integration-

https://www.lib.umd.edu/unions/social/african-americans-rights
Throughout the 19th and early 20th century, the labor movement struggled to overcome racism in the midst of a society divided by race. In 1866, the National Labor Union declared it would admit members regardless of an individual's color or nationality believing unity was key to union strength. However, its affiliated unions continued to exclude or segregate workers by race, as white members tried to limit competition from African Americans for jobs. In response, Frederick Douglass and other progressive leaders supported the creation of new union organizations, such as the "Colored" National Labor Union, to organize against discrimination by employers and the labor movement.

In the 1880s, a new national labor organization arose, the Knights of Labor. The Knights vowed to admit workers of all races and nationalities, but this principle did not prevent the organization from tolerating segregated assemblies in the South. After the Knights were decimated by an employer backlash, the American Federation of Labor (AFL) revived the labor movement by organizing skilled workers. At its founding convention, the AFL required all affiliates to pledge that their members would never "discriminate against a fellow worker on account of color, creed or nationality." Unfortunately, by 1895, the AFL reversed this position and allowed new affiliates to prohibit African Americans from joining their ranks. In many unions that had no color barrier, African American members continued to be segregated into local unions which limited their membership rights and employment opportunities.
Labor unions actually embracing civil rights was a very slow process, with the AFL/CIO split coming in part from the CIO faction being more progressive on the topic. The initial response of unions was to view the black population as a threat to their status, not as partners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Federation_of_Labor#Immigration_restriction

The AFL vigorously opposed unrestricted immigration from Europe for moral, cultural, and racial reasons. The issue unified the workers who feared that an influx of new workers would flood the labor market and lower wages.[25] Nativismwas not a factor because upwards of half the union members were themselves immigrants or the sons of immigrants from Ireland, Germany and Britain. Nativism was a factor when the AFL even more strenuously opposed all immigration from Asia because it represented (to its Euro-American members) an alien culture that could not be assimilated into American society. The AFL intensified its opposition after 1906 and was instrumental in passing immigration restriction bills from the 1890s to the 1920s, such as the 1921 Emergency Quota Act and the Immigration Act of 1924, and seeing that they were strictly enforced.[26]

This is again, something we see to this day. Unions are hostile to immigration because they see immigrants as a threat to their jobs instead of people adding onto the existing economy alongside them.

Hilarious that you'd complain about "woke neoliberal types" when you don't actually know the complicated history of the topic.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The union is made up and beholden to employees. Just like the DCCC is beholden to sitting reps. Just as the DCCC's membership is very interested in protecting themselves from primary challengers, union members can be very interested in protecting lucrative overtime that new workers threaten.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/12/09/why-does-metro-suck-dangerous-accidents-escalator-outages/

This is not a behavior unique to the WMATA workers- you see it w/ police protecting their overtime. I bring this up not to shit on unions, but to point out that not all aspects are positive, and that the overall benefits are dispersed, while the negatives can be quite acute and the part most likely to directly impact someone personally.

Yes, unions are responsive to the wishes of their members. Where in that article does it say that the collective bargaining agreement restricted staffing? Blaming unions for the DC Metro's problems without knowing the first thing about how collective bargaining actually works is peak Right to Work Foundation nonsense. I recall you did this same routine at Neogaf, so save the weak disclaimer about how you're not shitting on unions. That's what you do whenever the topic comes up.

Those unions sure as hell didn't start out pushing for integration-

https://www.lib.umd.edu/unions/social/african-americans-rights

Labor unions actually embracing civil rights was a very slow process, with the AFL/CIO split coming in part from the CIO faction being more progressive on the topic. The initial response of unions was to view the black population as a threat to their status, not as partners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Federation_of_Labor#Immigration_restriction

This is "did u know the Dems were the party of the klan" level "argumentation." The fact remains they were ahead of where the country was and played a vital role in the civil rights movement, which you obviously know nothing about. And why on earth would you post something about labor opposition to immigration restriction from Europe and Asia to support a claim about labor hostility to African Americans?

This is again, something we see to this day. Unions are hostile to immigration because they see immigrants as a threat to their jobs instead of people adding onto the existing economy alongside them.

Except for, you know, the SEIU, the largest union in the country. And the AFL-CIO's support for immigration reform.

Hilarious that you'd complain about "woke neoliberal types" when you don't actually know the complicated history of the topic.

Hilarious that you'd make that accusation after posting the derpy neolib "union workers are teh racist" meme when you know jack shit about the topic other than what you learned in some undergrad management course and read in two minutes on wikipedia.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Because Americans are a deeply indoctrinated people defined by their love for individualist myths about ourselves, and their refusal to learn anything more complex about history or economics than the fairy tales we learn in elementary school.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
For real. That hospitality workers strike last year must have cost Caesars a bundle.

It's still so weird to me personally, seeing people organize and succeed in blue states, because I've spent the entirety of my professional career in a red state where unions have almost no bargaining power.
That compounded with being in the tech industry, which is already massively underrepresented as far as unions are concerned nationwide.

Seriously though, I actually can't imagine myself going on strike because my brain would immediately tell me, "Why are you doing this? You will lose everything."
And in Georgia, yeah, my employer would need no other reason to terminate me, then I would be ineligible for most assistance in the interim.

It's actually a running joke with the culinary union that someone would need to kill someone to be fired from one of the hotels on the strip.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People keep talking about how unions make it so hard to fire someone, like a bad teacher. I work in eduction and I've seen a bad teacher get fired plenty of times. They just have no concept of how a union works... because they don't work in jobs that are unionized.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i'd assume propaganda, corruption, stories of lazy workers, and usually some unfair "seniority" system that pushes away new hires. union dues also suck. there'e also shadyness with what unions do with their dues: cupw has 54,000 members and they pay $80 a month. That's 4.3 million a month. No one really knows what they do with the money besides buy property and rarely use it. I think a lot of people have valid grievances to what a specific union does or what unions do altogether. That can vex a person especially if it's personal.

Furfur

Alt account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
Yes, unions are responsive to the wishes of their members. Where in that article does it say that the collective bargaining agreement restricted staffing? Blaming unions for the DC Metro's problems without knowing the first thing about how collective bargaining actually works is peak Right to Work Foundation nonsense. I recall you did this same routine at Neogaf, so save the weak disclaimer about how you're not shitting on unions. That's what you do whenever the topic comes up.

This is "did u know the Dems were the party of the klan" level "argumentation." The fact remains they were ahead of where the country was and played a vital role in the civil rights movement, which you obviously know nothing about. And why on earth would you post something about labor opposition to immigration restriction from Europe and Asia to support a claim about labor hostility to African Americans?

Except for, you know, the SEIU, the largest union in the country. And the AFL-CIO's support for immigration reform.

Hilarious that you'd make that accusation after posting the derpy neolib "union workers are teh racist" meme when you know jack shit about the topic other than what you learned in some undergrad management course and read in two minutes on wikipedia.

Kirblar never argues in good faith. just put him on ignore and stop responding to him.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not blaming unions for the entirety of WMATA's problems! You're claiming that in order to avoid dealing with the fact that the same reason unions work as a check against companies (their self-interest on the part of workers) can also spill over into negative behaviors rooted in the same self interest. Just as you have negative side effects from business practices, you get the same thing w/ union ones. I'm not saying that they're universally negative (that one guy at the old place got his job restored from a nepotistic manager because of one!) but people who dismiss those negative interactions are failing to grapple with how those upsides are created when they dismiss these experiences.

No, it is not "Dems were da Klan" argumentation. The union history on integration is very, very complicated, with dueling factions throughout their history splitting, branching off, remerging, etc. due to substantial differences.. Today, yes, they are in a much better place on the topic, but it took a long ass time to get there and it was not a path where the unions were some universal source of enlightened leadership. Yes, the UAW were excellent on this topic. Others were much less so and it took a lot of time and conflict to bring them onboard a platform supporting that. But despite the nominal support, you still had conservative social views among parts of the membership. And when the GOP deliberately went after unions in the '80s, they did so in part because they wanted to increase their margins by peeling off those socially conservative Union Dems.

Do you really not understand that labor opposition to immigration was driven by the same core reason that labor unions would oppose integration? (in addition to the omnipresent racism/xenophobia/etc.) From the Union's perspective, opposition to both is driven by restricting labor market competition in order to protect the position of the union membership. It's the exact same rationale you see with businesses trying to restrict competitors from a product or service market.

Dan Lipisnki is still in the House because of union machine politics (and open primaries), and he's ridiculously conservative for the district. The reason the GOP went after that demographic hard w/ taking the southern strategy national was because non-college white men were and are the most socially conservative group in the country.

(edited out response to troll alt)

Last edited:

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not blaming unions for the entirety of WMATA's problems! You're claiming that in order to avoid dealing with the fact that the same reason unions work as a check against companies (their self-interest on the part of workers) can also spill over into negative behaviors rooted in the same self interest. Just as you have negative side effects from business practices, you get the same thing w/ union ones. I'm not saying that they're universally negative (that one guy at the old place got his job restored from a nepotistic manager because of one!) but people who dismiss those negative interactions are failing to grapple with how those upsides are created when they dismiss these experiences.

I'm claiming that the article you cited to support the proposition that unions are responsible for understaffing does not support that proposition. Because it doesn't. Like, at all. There is absolutely nothing in that article stating that union pressure or a union agreement is the reason for insufficient staffing. You can blather on about incentives all you want but since you don't understand anything about collective bargaining you have no idea how it plays out in reality. Like, it's cool that you took a couple economics courses in college and have a very basic understanding of simply supply and demand principles. Really it is! But since you have no experience or knowledge of how unions and employers actually relate to each other, that and $2.25 will get you on the Metro.

No, it is not "Dems were da Klan" argumentation. The union history on integration is very, very complicated, with dueling factions throughout their history splitting, branching off, remerging, etc. due to substantial differences.. Today, yes, they are in a much better place on the topic, but it took a long ass time to get there and it was not a path where the unions were some universal source of enlightened leadership. Yes, the UAW were excellent on this topic. Others were much less so and it took a lot of time and conflict to bring them onboard a platform supporting that. But despite the nominal support, you still had conservative social views among parts of the membership.

So, like, basically the same as the Democratic party.

See, if you had said something like that at the outset, instead of the ridiculous "unions are RAAAACIST" bullshit you actually posted, this may have gone better.

And when the GOP deliberately went after unions in the '80s, they did so in part because they wanted to increase their margins by peeling off those socially conservative Union Dems.

The GOP went after unions because they were the party of capital. Union-busting was the ends, not the means. Unfortunately a lot of woke Dems like that about them.

Do you really not understand that labor opposition to immigration was driven by the same core reason that labor unions would oppose integration? (in addition to the omnipresent racism/xenophobia/etc.) From the Union's perspective, opposition to both is driven by restricting labor market competition in order to protect the position of the union membership. It's the exact same rationale you see with businesses trying to restrict competitors from a product or service market.

Do you really not understand that life is more complicated than what you read in Baumol and Blinder? Like, for all your claims to be Mr. Nuance you seem to fail to understand that like any representative body, a union has to respond to a variety of interests and goals of its membership. Sure, there is an elemet of protectionism, but your Econ 101 explanation completely fails to explain for why many unions now favor immigration reform. One would think that would give you pause instead of doubling down on simple answers to complex questions.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm claiming that the article you cited to support the proposition that unions are responsible for understaffing does not support that proposition. Because it doesn't. Like, at all. There is absolutely nothing in that article stating that union pressure or a union agreement is the reason for insufficient staffing. You can blather on about incentives all you want but since you don't understand anything about collective bargaining you have no idea how it plays out in reality. Like, it's cool that you took a couple economics courses in college and have a very basic understanding of simply supply and demand principles. Really it is! But since you have no experience or knowledge of how unions and employers actually relate to each other, that and $2.25 will get you on the Metro.

So, like, basically the same as the Democratic party.

See, if you had said something like that at the outset, instead of the ridiculous "unions are RAAAACIST" bullshit you actually posted, this may have gone better.

The GOP went after unions because they were the party of capital. Union-busting was the ends, not the means. Unfortunately a lot of woke Dems like that about them.

Do you really not understand that life is more complicated than what you read in Baumol and Blinder? Like, for all your claims to be Mr. Nuance you seem to fail to understand that like any representative body, a union has to respond to a variety of interests and goals of its membership. Sure, there is an elemet of protectionism, but your Econ 101 explanation completely fails to explain for why many unions now favor immigration reform. One would think that would give you pause instead of doubling down on simple answers to complex questions.
The issue with deliberate understaffing is going to come up primarily in union/govt interactions instead of union/business ones, due to the business having a stronger interest in pushing back against actions that deliberately run up their labor costs. It's one of a laundry list of reasons why I'm for banning police unions, this is something you see pop up there due to how lucrative the OT is for them.

The GOP goes after unions both because they've always been the party of big business and also because it directly helps them at the ballot box and they know this.

To quote the piece from noted neoliberal shill Sean McAlwee (/s for anyone not familiar with him)-

In a new study that will soon be released as a National Bureau of Economic Research working paper, James Feigenbaum of Boston University, Alexander Hertel-Fernandez of Columbia, and Vanessa Williamson of the Brookings Institution examined the long-term political consequences of anti-union legislation by comparing counties straddling a state line where one state is right-to-work and another is not. Their findings should strike terror into the hearts of Democratic Party strategists: Right-to-work laws decreased Democratic presidential vote share by 3.5 percent.

The study found that impacts persist in down-ballot races, and have given Republicans more power in the Senate, House, and governors' mansions, as well as in state legislatures. This leads to a vicious cycle wherein the GOP can use that power to further suppress votes, gut union rights, and gerrymander legislatures—in other words, embark on a fundamental retooling of American political mechanics.
In line with previous research by Roland Zullo, who found that right-to-work and limitations on collective bargaining make it more difficult for unions to bolster turnout, this research found that right-to-work laws reduce turnout in presidential elections by 2 to 3 percent. Indeed, studying individual-level survey data, the authors found that the share of blue-collar workers reporting a get-out-the-vote contact declined by 11 percent following the passage of right-to-work laws, with no concomitant effect on white-collar workers.

The share of campaign contributions from private-sector unions also drops by 1 to 2 percent, as does fundraising by Democratic candidates in state and local races.
These political imbalances naturally appear to then shift state-level public policy to the right. Using standard measures of the liberalism of state policies, the authors found a decline in these policies following the passage of right-to-work laws. Over time, this shift would be roughly equivalent to the difference in policy liberalism between Illinois and West Virginia. Just consider policy in Wisconsin before and after the implementation of right-to-work.

https://www.thenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/RTW-liberalism-pre-and-post.png

Oct 25, 2017

I think the guy who is, you know, actually providing sources and not resorting to name-calling comes off with a little more authority than you.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue with deliberate understaffing is going to come up primarily in union/govt interactions instead of union/business ones, due to the business having a stronger interest in pushing back against actions that deliberately run up their labor costs. It's one of a laundry list of reasons why I'm for banning police unions, this is something you see pop up there due to how lucrative the OT is for them.

I'll take this theoretical assertion as a concession that you have nothing resembling actual evidence for this proposition. Certainly the article about the DC Metro (is that not a public sector employer?) contained zero evidence that any of its unions had anything to do with controller understaffing. I also note with amusement tthe ease with which you will echo GOP talking points against unions (long a pillar of the Democratic coalition) but complain vociferously when you perceive people to be doing so about Kamala Harris (who is not).

The GOP goes after unions both because they've always been the party of big business and also because it directly helps them at the ballot box and they know this.

To quote the piece from noted neoliberal shill Sean McAlwee (/s for anyone not familiar with him)-

Of course it helps them. Nobody disputes this. Labor is the best organizational force for Democratic turnout (which makes it even more strange that ostensible Democrats hate them) and reducing their treasuries and membership will obviously reduce their ability to turn out voter. But your unsupported theory was clearly not that Rs union-bust to reduce D organizational strength, but rather that the Republicans union-bust because they think they can switch union members to Republican by getting rid of unions. As if Joe the Plumber will vote D until his union is decertified, and then switch to R. This, of course, has no support outside your prior that every white person who earns less than $70,000 is a Klansman.

I think the guy who is, you know, actually providing sources and not resorting to name-calling comes off with a little more authority than you.

That's nice. I've worked in union-management relations for 15 years and negotiated dozens of collective bargaining agreements, so your opinion of my credibility is not something I particularly care about. Sources don't really add much unless they actually support the argument. Perhaps you should read them.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people I've heard in my personal life who talk shit about unions usually fall in two categories:
  1. They've never been part of a union/been in a situation where there should be one
  2. They automatically equate that being unionized=laziness.
It's pretty bs

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Republican/capitalist propaganda.

5cd99eb82100005800d066d8.jpeg

I assume it's based on an informed decision to support unregulated and unhindered free market capitalism, despite the harrowing costs in the present (poverty, unaffordable health care, etc. ) and future (climate change).
Replace "informed" with "uninformed" and this is accurate.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
You don't see it much on this site thankfully, but every single Reddit thread about unions has a huge debate in the comments and again, and every single time it's someone from the US arguing against them. Why is that? Is there a mandatory anti-union class in school or something?
because they have been poisoned by republicans opinion news pandering to their fears.