• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some cartoon fans are puritanical towards even kids' cartoons. I remember wading through insane diatribes on how Pearl and Amethyst from Steven Universe are terrible people because they're flawed.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Most adult cartoons handle mature subjects as gracefully as your average 4chan post.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Animation can portray violence and sex in ways that aren't needlessly realistic or require nudity from the actors (nothing against nudity, but it often seems/is exploitive and regretted), but sometimes go for the cheap thrill for both, and most popular culture ignores how often people actually curse.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good thing Netflix was there to protect us from the specter of good adult cartoons by canceling Tuca and Bertie.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
It's because a lot of adult cartoons are adult in a very juvenile sense. Comparable to all those fan translation of manga that contain a metric fuckton of added swears for the sake of it. And often times there is no substance once you get past the surface level edginess.

Love, Death, and Robots is one such example, although each short is beautiful, they aren't very good or memorable outside of the visuals. They certainly are grotesque, violent, grimy, and sexual a lot of the time, but it's hella telling that the most memorable shorts have little to none of that at all. Worse, these shows are often watched more by younger people than actual adults because the writing tends to be the equivalent of "adult" as viewed through the lense of the teenage rebellion phase.

Agreed. Some of the shorts were just there to showcase sex and violence and didn't have anything interesting to say.

Feb 24, 2018
What others have said, most adult cartoon shows handle their adult subjects in a very juvenile way and seem to be edgy for edgy sake, very little western animation tries to be anything else, which has left a vacuum in the market that one is trying to fill up because TV companies are under the impression they won't work (which is funny because they were saying the same about shows like The Simpsons, arguably the show that spurred the current crop of western adult animation back in the late 80s, seriously look up how desperate FOX was to cancel The Simpsons in season 1, you'd be surprised).

This is why I think anime is a popular as it is as it fills that gap, maybe not perfectly and many studios over there also have their issues with juvenile attitudes but it's the closest people are getting. Same with shows like Steven Universe, Avatar etc.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It all comes down to tone and writing. Love, Death and Robots is what I imagined adult media was like when I was thirteen years old, and it feels like a lot of the writers were about that age too while writing it. Not always, some of the shorts are quite good, but I felt embarrased on behalf of the writers when watching quite a few of the episodes. Something like Bojack Horseman has incredibly dark themes and adult, maturely written storylines in between the silly humour, and is all the better for it. Regardless of the fanbase, for the most part I like Rick & Morty too.

I'd certainly agree that shows like Adventure Time, Over the Garden Wall and Steven Universe often have more mature themes than shows aimed at adults.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I've found people's opinions on cartoons in general are wrapped up in so much inconsistency, posturing, and projection that it's not really worth trying to divine why they say the platitudes they say about them.

"This is good, but not that. Except for this, which I like, so I don't really consider it in the same category" etc etc

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if i ever encounter puritan cartoon fans but i do know people are harsh on adult cartoons because cartoon fans are sick of the vulgar and crass shows on the vein of family guy and south park

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I seriously wonder how many people in this thread have watched The Flintstones. It was the cultural analogue to The Simpsons 50 years ago, with themes revelant to adults of the time.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's a natural backlash to the likes of Family Guy ruling the Adult Animation label for two decades.

As well as "children's" animation over the past decade being stronger than it's ever been. Lot of adults looking at stuff like Steven universe, Adventure time, Regular show, Gumball, Over the Garden Wall, stuff not specifically tailored to them, but wishing it was, and are tired of the fact that stuff that's supposed to be "for them" is relegated to stuff like family guy or big mouth or rick and morty.

The solution to said problem is anime or stop caring about suggested ages on shows.

Also watch Hilda on netflix, it's great.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix Castlevania is probably the best adult cartoon made in.. ever? Hard to say but it handles adult themes better than any other cartoon Ive seen.

I wouldn't say best ever made but it certainly fills a pretty empty niche very well in terms of western cartoons aimed at an older audiences that focus on action and storytelling.

Also, more people in here need to watch Primal.

Fuck yeah. Best animated series in years and without a word of dialogue.

Nov 17, 2017
I'm reminded of the Bojack crew admitting the first few episodes are so much different in tone because Netflix viewers expect Family Guy-level humor from cartoons, so they roped people in with juvenile humor and hoped they'd stick to it when the series moved to more mature storylines.
I didn't know this and it makes me laugh because I dropped it after an episode or two at first because it just seemed like a dumb Adult Swim comedy type cartoon and it wasn't until a few seasons in that a friend told me to watch it that I went back and enjoyed it.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I mean, Drawn Together , Aqua Teen, SquidBillies were all well received. It's not like any of them lack edgy humor. But they're written and drawn and voiced well. I don't really see what you're referencing en masse

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who LOVES edgy stuff, the rejection of it makes me so sad :(

Love, Death, and Robots was mindblowing and I loved it to death. Shame that so many want to see less of things like it and not more

Love, Death, and Robots is one such example, although each short is beautiful, they aren't very good or memorable outside of the visuals. They certainly are grotesque, violent, grimy, and sexual a lot of the time, but it's hella telling that the most memorable shorts have little to none of that at all. Worse, these shows are often watched more by younger people than actual adults because the writing tends to be the equivalent of "adult" as viewed through the lense of the teenage rebellion phase.
I don't agree at all! I thought each short was extremely memorable and while they aren't all good, most of them are amazing.

And if you're referring to Zima Blue as the most memorable short, personally I think Beyond the Aquila Rift is a tad more. But they're both AMAZING

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what to add, but I can say I tried that hotel pilot when it dropped and the first stretches of dialogue alone immediately set off alarm bells, I did not finish it.

and Love, Death and Robots has numerous shorts that undermine their potential overall quality with stuff like unnecessary boobs on a disappointing basis.

it's not a case of me being against violence, swears or sexual content, it's that a fair bit of apparently mature angled animation handles these things with all the tact of a 13 year old and that's gonna make my eyes roll more than any power of friendship spiel.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are just tired that a huge chunk of adult animation is comedy focused and doesn't really differ much from the sex, edge, and violence in service to that.

Doesn't make these shows bad, but I do think people are a bit tired of it and want the shows to try to do more.

Ironically a lot of kids cartoons are now becoming all ages cartoons and occasionally trying new things that cartoons marketed to adults aren't doing.

Of course kids cartoons still have the problem that they exist in service of making toys and ones that have a narrative like Steven Universe have multiple episodes where literally nothing happens.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
OK KO I originally thought was solely for kids and just something in the vein of Teen Titans Go, but then I saw who made it and I gave it a go.

Whole episodes dedicated to gun control, why you shouldn't only roast your friends, that love between friends can be platonic and just as valid as romantic love.

It's honestly one of my favorite cartoons, right up there with Steven Universe and Adventure Time.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I watched family guy and its ilk when I was a teenager. That stuff isn't mature by any measure. Nor is South Park.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
OK KO I originally thought was solely for kids and just something in the vein of Teen Titans Go, but then I saw who made it and I gave it a go.

Whole episodes dedicated to gun control, why you shouldn't only roast your friends, that love between friends can be platonic and just as valid as romantic love.

It's honestly one of my favorite cartoons, right up there with Steven Universe and Adventure Time.
It even had two different episodes about uploading embarrassing videos of people without their consent.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hazbin Hotel seems to be popular with japanese people for what I have seen on Twittee

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's because they are talking about things like Sausage Party which are more juvenile takes at adult humor aimed squarely at the teenage/early 20s demo. But there are things like Bojack Horseman that have adult themes and eschew much of the purposefully up front raunchiness in favor of meaningful story telling.
Bojack later seasons were so incredible in how mature they were but still humorous as well it was crazy.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Also this probably should have been in the first response, and it is my shame I didn't put it in my previous post

Ow_the_edge.jpg

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't think this is an popular opinion, people love South Park, Simpsons, Bojack...

But I'm sure big part of the public are teenagers, especially for things like Mr Pickles. Violence and sex doesn't mean maturity.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...I don't feel that way at all. Cartoons like Bojack Horseman, Rick and Morty, Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, South Park, etc. are all very popular and beloved online.

There are a bunch of good adult cartoons that use violence or sex or crude humor well. There are also a bunch that don't.

I haven't gotten around to watching Hazbin yet but everything I've seen of the art style looks lovely. If the actual writing isn't great, I'll probably still enjoy it for the animation.