• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be cool with a more expensive console. It can't cost as much of my phone but 600 would be cool.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
there are very good phones for under $200 TBH.

and the phone really does a lot of things the console can't, for example some phones are excellent cameras that used to cost a lot on their own

also it's something of a fashion/status thing, so there is that.

Oct 27, 2017
The way people determine value is highly arbitrary.

Personally I'd be fine with 600$ consoles if it meant better performance. Meanwhile I'm still on my 6s and will ride it out till it dies or looses update support, whichever happens first.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of what people are saying is true and contributing variables, but ultimately the worth of an item is whatever people are willing to pay for it and Apple has convinced the young adults of the world that a cell phone should cost that much. On a feature to feature comparison, other than providing phone service anytime anywhere — unless you have ATT like me — the cell phone doesn't provide that much more value to the world.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
500 dollars for a console is crazy expensive, especially when you add games/online fees.
A shiny new phone that can do more shit is just more appealing.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know about you, but I get a free upgrade on my phone every three years, so...

Regardless, I'll easily pay 800 for a phone, but flinch at paying 400 for a console.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to look at the PC equivalent of comparable specs in deciding if a console is way too much. However, it makes me scratch my head as technology progresses that people want to pay the same $400 for a console today like they did in 2013.

Oct 28, 2017
It's really just a matter of financing for me.

It's easier to buy an $800 phone and make monthly installment payments over 2-3 years than it is to have to pay all at once $700-$800 for a console at launch - $500 system, $60-$70 extra controller and then a few $60 games.

Nov 8, 2017
  • Most people don't buy top end phones
  • People who do buy top end phones often get them on some kind of monthly payment plan integrated with their phone bill so it's not an $800 up front cost.
  • The actual utility of a smartphone is far higher than a console.
  • Modern lifestyles demand phones, they do not demand consoles

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
People interact with their phones constantly all day long. Consoles have a much smaller role in people's lives.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I didn't realise console prices were an issue tbh....£400 every 5/6 years is good value for the amount of entertainment I get out of it anyway.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I need a phone for my wife to communicate with me while she is at work and I'm at work. Therefore phones are on the list of approved items for purchase.

Videogames do not appear on her list of necessities, therefore budgeting for expensive hardware once every so many years is always a point of contention. "but what's wrong with the video game systems you already have?"

"I don't know, what's wrong with the 8000 pairs of shoes you already have?"

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
At least in my experience, the vast majority of people don't buy their phones outright and never approach spending that kind of money at once. Instead, they opt for the $20-30 a month on top of their bill when a new phone hits.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Who are these people who are saying $400-500 every seven years is too expensive? I've not seen any of that. And there is the Switch out there at half that price for those who don't care about the best tech.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I didn't realise console prices were an issue tbh....£400 every 5/6 years is good value for the amount of entertainment I get out of it anyway.

No one is saying current prices are an issue. Whenever ppl get concerned about over 500 the bu but phones nonsense shows.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Not even a relevant comparison but anyway: I try to use my < 200 € phones for more than 3-4 years at least, when possible. Maybe I used my Nexus 4 for 5-6 years and really it should have been more, but had an accident.

So no.

And even then I don't have to purchase separate software for my phone. I've done that like two times lifetime.

And my phone is not a luxury item nowadays, it's more a necessity for many.

Not remotely comparable even if the prices comparison was relevant.

But, even then, I don't think consoles are way too expensive (well maybe Switch and launch 3DS, etc). I have other issues with gaming costs.

Oct 30, 2017
Phones are far more functional. The size and what they can offer a consumer on the go factor into price. It has the hardware to game, run professional applications, a camera that takes amazing photos and video and a high resolution screen. I'm sure that list could be added to quite easily and this all goes into your pocket.

The monthly plans that companies offer make it easy for people to keep cycling through phones, but they're also far more versatile and used than a video game console.

I do think we are going to see subscription models next gen. They want to transition people quickly into next gen and you can do that by offering monthly payment plans that include gold and game pass with your new xbox, or PS plus and PS Now with your new PS5. The money they get from engagement is far more valuable than the hardware. So you combined them to midigate the down time of people upgrading.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I always get phones for under $300. Ain't paying $500+ for one that's crazy. Moto G7 has enough for me, all the extra bells and whistles are a waste that I'd magine 90% of people never use. Big nice screen for videos, multitasking, internet/texting. Halfway decent camera for outside stuff. And that's all most people will notice.

People get roped into contracts and subscription plans for phones to digest the crazy price I think. But I never do that.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I do think we are going to see subscription models next gen. They want to transition people quickly into next gen and you can do that by offering monthly payment plans that include gold and game pass with your new xbox, or PS plus and PS Now with your new PS5. The money they get from engagement is far more valuable than the hardware. So you combined them to midigate the down time of people upgrading.
Microsoft started doing this with a program called Xbox All Access. Sony hasn't made one (yet)

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I can get pretty decent phones for $200-300 and they offer way more functionality than a console.