• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
This is a bad example thanks to declining upgrade rates on almost all new phones, it's already been proven people are holding onto their phones for much longer then 2 years nowadays. It's no wonder when apple supports their devices for 5+ and even Sammy does patches for thier devices for 3+ years.

I also paid less for my last 3 phones then I did for my PS4 bundle at the time, or the continuous upgrades on my pc.

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely echo with the consumer trend these days. Once it was handheld game console, then to console, then to PC, then to laptop, then to handheld game console and now to mobile without any indication to go back and forth anymore. And if I have to, I will simply get a Switch and get it over with.

The OP though is missing the point.

It is not the price that defines the value of the product. It is the product that defines the value of the price over another product.

In other terms, consumers are willing to spend more on a phone than on a console because the phone has got a greater value by default. Basically, you could have a phone and a console that cost the same, but the value will still be greater for the phone than for the console. From a gamer' perspective, the cost of owning, maintaining, playing on a mobile phone is much, much lower than a console. And as a third reason, in the mobile gaming market there is no pressure to get a specific phone or brand to play a specific game or a franchise. So there is none of this exclusivity nonsense that only creates unnecessary anxiety or the feeling of feeling excluded from a specific game title or game culture.

So in essence, yes it does make absolutely perfect sense for consumers willing to spend more for a phone than for a console.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
You say you're interested in the perception of value, but don't you think it's slightly ridiculous to disregard the fact that you're operating with two separate markets?

Top tier phones cost 1000-1300 bucks now, so anything that's 50% less but will offer near the same functionality will of course have a great value proposition.

Conversely, buying a 500-600 dollar console may seem steep to some, because you can spend a little more and get better performance (in theory) and a variety of other functions, if you buy a PC. Also, there's historic pricing: people assume a price range for consoles, and so they may adapt to that and budget in proportion to their expectations. I don't know, and it's all my personal assumption.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
$600 phone isn't cheap, $100 one is.

Apple's overpriced devices have messed up your mind.

Oct 31, 2017
One is more of a necessity in today's society. The other is a luxury item.

You can live without a video game system. Phone is a little bit harder.
This.

Things are usually priced according to their necessity and functionality. Phones are needed to function in today's society and are also have way more uses than consoles. A console is an entertainment device solely and is seen as a luxury item instead of a necessity.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm a Note fan (love the S-Pen), but I only upgrade even I can get a deal. Just got a Note 10 for 50% off (about 450 all together) via a T-Mobile veterans day promotion they were running. I upgraded for technical reasons, as my Note 8 was missing a crucial cellular band T-Mobile is using (their 600mhz band l.

My phone is my main computer. The amount of data that I push through it one daily basis is nuts.

Sure, I could have gone with a cheaper phone, but I would lose out on functionality by losing the S-Pen, or DeX (which is fucking awesome).

I can't say that about my PS4, which I barely turn on anymore.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
This.

Things are usually priced according to their necessity and functionality. Phones are needed to function in today's society and are also have way more uses than consoles. A console is an entertainment device solely and is seen as a luxury item instead of a necessity.

Agree. Phones are more of a necessity especially with their camera ability that is essential in your everyday life such as in raising children, family events, etc.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Software? Subscription?

And your fault if you overpay for a phone in this day and age. Xiaomi >

Not if you're in the US. T-Mobile is about the only US carrier that fully supports unlocked devices, and even then it's a crapshoot. You've also got LTE bands to account for.

AT&T restricts VoLTE and wifi calling on BYOD devices (although they're getting better)

Verizon just won't allow the device to activate (although they're getting better in regards to devices like OnePlus)

Sprint is in the process of being bought out.

Carriers in the states have consumers by the balls.

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
1. I don't change phones every 2-3 years. My Galaxy S5 lasted me 5 years;
2. A phone is much more capable at doing multiple stuff, specially media consuption, than any console;
3. I don't spend that much more money after buying a phone. Apps are cheap and if I bought them on one device, I will still have it in the next. On the other hand, consoles are worthless without games. And games are expensive-ish;
4. Except for the Switch, consoles are totally worthless without a screen. That costs money too.
5. I use my phone around 5 hours everyday, and it is still avaliable at all times during the other 19 hours of the day. My consoles is used about 5 hours every week and is useless when I am not home.

Damn I could go on...

Nov 11, 2017
Software
Not if you're in the US. T-Mobile is about the only US carrier that fully supports unlocked devices, and even then it's a crapshoot. You've also got LTE bands to account for.

AT&T restricts VoLTE and wifi calling on BYOD devices (although they're getting better)

Verizon just won't allow the device to activate (although they're getting better in regards to devices like OnePlus)

What a joke.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Afaik most phones are bought with a plan and are paid off over time, while most consoles are just paid for outright in one lump.

Yup. And my phone plan let's me upgrade phones every 6 months. Sure I pay 30 bucks a month for a phone but every 6 months I can switch to the latest and greatest.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017

Time to move to Yurop.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Well we use phones for everything these days, so the main functionality is more than just gaming. Consoles can do other things too, but mainly I want a console for playing games.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Almost no one pays full price for a phone, people swallow the (ridiculous) monthly payments instead. At least here in Canada, where we get screwed with 70$ to 125$ per month payments for 2 years.

Oct 28, 2017
I dont spend real money on phones. I get whatever the free outdated slop T-Mobile is offering up. I don't need a bunch of extra options on a phone Im never going to use.

There is not one extra thing I can think of that a phone does better than other device.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Those stereotypes about trading phones every year and "fashion acessories" are overblown. There are some groups that think this way and they flood the internet because of their interest in new launches, but those early adopters are in no way the average phone consumer.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
People generally have their phone with them 24 hours to day. They use their phones to call, text, email, take photos, handle reminders, video chat, edit documents, social media, listen to music, watch movies, game and sooooooo much more. And all of this can be done wherever the user is.

Consoles can do very few of these things and zero on the road.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I replaced my recent phone after having it for six years, and that's only because the battery life was becoming a slight inconvenience. Also my phone is an absolute necessity, while a console is a toy.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
If you are the type of person who always buys a new phone every year you either have plenty of money or are making high monthly payments. A lot of the time with consoles people will pay for the whole thing all at once.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Phones are not just a bigger necessity. People don't buy the most expensive one out of necessity. It's like a status symbol, a bit pathetic IMO but that's life.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You're assuming a lot, OP.

I don't replace it every 2,3 years. If it isn't broken, i'm not replacing.

I would never buy a phone that costs more than a console.

The console is nothing more than a entry price. You still have to buy the games. Some people with a PS4 will spend $1000 in 5 years of purchasing lots of games.

Both are an issue depending on your money situation and where you live. But phones are 100% a necessity.

Gamers are the opposite of cheap. Video Games has an industry that gets more revenue than movies despite having a lot less overall consumers, specifically because video game enthusiasts spends too much on the hobby.

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
500$ isn't bad at all for a console. It's been 6 years and in 2020 it will be 7 years after PS4 and X1. That makes 71$ per year of waiting for a new system.

I'm putting away some money (sometimes 10 bucks, sometimes 30 bucks) since last year every couple of months so I won't even feel buying a new console. It's not that hard.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still baffles me that people buy phones yearly and justify it, and all they end up doing with the phone is the same thing they have ever done, social media apps, youtube and phone calls, nothing your last phone couldnt do, BUT OMG NEW IPHONE IS THE FASTEST PHONE EVER I CAN REPLY TO YOUR MESSAGES AT THE SAME TIME AS BEFORE BECAUSE I WILL NEVER NOTICE THE SPEED INCREASE IF THERE IS EVEN ONE.

Gaming (for what it offers) is cheap as fuck, people got no problem paying them 14.99 bucks for a 1 and half hour movie, but go batshit crazy when a 60 usd game doesnt give them hundreds of hours of entertainment. Its even to a point that most BR players in the market dont do half the things a ps3/ps4 do and still they manage to be more expensive. The issue with gaming is that for a long while it has been seen as a "toy" and I am not sure if it will ever be seen as anything more, so it will be forever stuck in expensive side even if its cheaper and does a lot more things than other similar devices.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reason is the console companies are trying to get their install base growing as quickly as possible to entice both consumers and publishers/devs to support the console.

Making money on the console sales is not the point.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I find the necessity argument a little misfired. It's true that a phone is necessary in the modern society but there's nothing about a $600 phone that's a necessity when compared to what a $200 one offers. It's just as much a luxury item as a video game console.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It's not a perception of value, it's a reality of value. Your phone does infinitely more things than your console does, so spending $800 is absolutely worth it.

This.

Like for me, I only use my game consoles just to play games.

I use my phone for calls, text, email check up, check weather, listen to music, watch videos, browse online, GPS, use as a flashlight, record video, take photos, keep notes, etc

(Though I dont upgrade my phone every 2-3 years - my current one I've had for over 4 years :p).

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
iPhone XS was $1,000
It's the best electronic device I've ever had.

most i'd pay for a PS5 is $600 if it has a 2TBSSD, backwards compatible with all PS4 purchases, and upscale s them too

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It still baffles me that people buy phones yearly and justify it, and all they end up doing with the phone is the same thing they have ever done, social media apps, youtube and phone calls, nothing your last phone couldnt do, BUT OMG NEW IPHONE IS THE FASTEST PHONE EVER I CAN REPLY TO YOUR MESSAGES AT THE SAME TIME AS BEFORE BECAUSE I WILL NEVER NOTICE THE SPEED INCREASE IF THERE IS EVEN ONE.

Gaming (for what it offers) is cheap as fuck, people got no problem paying them 14.99 bucks for a 1 and half hour movie, but go batshit crazy when a 60 usd game doesnt give them hundreds of hours of entertainment. Its even to a point that most BR players in the market dont do half the things a ps3/ps4 do and still they manage to be more expensive. The issue with gaming is that for a long while it has been seen as a "toy" and I am not sure if it will ever be seen as anything more, so it will be forever stuck in expensive side even if its cheaper and does a lot more things than other similar devices.

I agree in regards to those people, it's weird as fuck and a huge waste of money. But it's not exactly common. The vast majority of people don't upgrade their phones annually considering the average contract is 2 years. Id think the norm is longer than that too. I'd be interested to know what the average is.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
As other have said, it's
A) your phone has more value given its use-case
B) it's often easier to shoulder the high cost of some phones with payment plans, carrier subsidies, and upgrade offers
C) depending on the phone you can keep it for at least 5 years even on up-to-date firmware

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm rocking a OnePlus 3T - purchased for £400 on November 2016.

Newers phone do not offer any additional functionality.

I only replace my phone every 5 years.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people complaining about console launch prices ended up doing the midgen "refresh" for $400/500.

a machine that will need to endure 7 years of graphically intensive gaming should be a beast upfront, which will have to come at a cost so we won't have so many massive performance issues or a need for a +500 upgrade half way through.

next gen consoles need to give devlopers , who will want to push these things, some breathing room to get unreal fidelity and performance. (also they need to give people graphical/performance options)

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Phone have more utility and functionality - aiding your day to day life, sometimes essential
Cost is justified

A games console plays games, and is entirely superfluous.

silly question imo