• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's just not true. 1080i looks like garbage on even medium size (50''+) screens. My mom could tell the difference on her new 55''.
Depends on your TV's deinterlacer and scaler. Some handle it beautifully, some don't.

Watching 1080i on a set natively like on a giant rear projection TV is a revelation. Obviously, it's outdated tech but the point still stands. If you have a screen that is designed to display it properly or deinterlace cleanly 1080i is amazing.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't stand Comcast picture quality. I have been through different boxes and different tv's and it is terrible. I love the quality of Netflix, Amazon Prime, and most other streaming services. Only reason i put up with comcast is my wife loves HGTV.
At the risk of sounding super millennial, I decided even FioS in Manhattan doesn't give decent picture quality. I cut the cord and grabbed an apple TV plus FuboTV and am much happier. Some sports are broadcast at 60fps through that app too. It's great.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Because people still prefer 4:3 ratios and motion enhancement. We as a society do not deserve better quality. Truly the darkest timeline.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
We get 1080p broadcasts here. Usually 24/25Hz material like films and premium dramas are 1080p while 50Hz stuff like sports is 1080i, but I've seen some sports in 1080p too recently.

The BBC also does 4K broadcasts of some sports and documentaries, but they come over iPlayer and you need a supported TV. I'd be surprised if 4K or higher OTA broadcasts ever happen on a wide scale.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've a few weeks ago that almost half of America already has 4K TVs in their household. Not surprised because...there are not many 1080p devices on the new market anymore. I don't know anyone in my inner friend circle still having a 1080p device. Television are also cheap as hell nowadays.

Give it some time for the new standards OP or...don't watch television at all. Why even bother? There is enough 4K HDR content online which is the only way I consume that stuff. Even series like Westworld for example are in 4K already.

Nov 9, 2017
I get some pretty good 4k stuff through my Directv. I don't think it looks as good as true 4k media at all though and the amount of broadcasting is extremely limited right now

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
1080i broadcasts look better than Netflix 4k imo, low compression 1080i is pretty detailed.

My 65" HDR10/Dolby Vision TV begs to differ :-P.

I also can immediately tell when something is 480p (SD). I can usually spot 720p vs 1080p too if I'm not more than 12' from a TV.

My ex-wife's dad use to drive me nuts for years after I set him up with his first HDTV. He'd still watch the SD channels when he had an HD version of them as an option. You had to push in 207 instead of just 7 at the time, but no matter how many times I showed him that, he'd always just have it set to 7/21/13 (aka SD channels). Even for sports.

Last edited: