• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
So amidst all the hype about Dragon Quest XI S finally being revealed in today's Nintendo Direct, I was shocked to see a bit of angry responses on how "scummy" it is of Square Enix to release a definitive version on a different console. Especially when you consider that we've had multiple definitive editions in the past generation.

Why are some of you so mad?

First off, we don't even know if there's an update planned, or if Square Enix plans to release another edition for PS4. Maybe wait until we hear stuff about that before flaring off?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the 2D stuff being Switch exclusive but no reason they can't update the music of the PS4/PC version.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Western PS4/PC versions are not even 6 months old. Also there is no reason this content or at least some of it could not be offered as DLC.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are probably mad that theres a new version with more story, but wording from the direct makes it seem like its EXCLUSIVE content vs being lucky as heck and hoping they do an update/DLC ala World of Final Fantasy Maxima.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the only thing i didnt like about the trailer was the narrator

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I can see the new story content making some fans mad who played it on PS4/PC. Stuff like the Music I can understand being irked about too. Especially when for PC, they were sending people cease and desists at one point if you tried to mod that in.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it either. The Switch version was one of the first ever titles to be announced for the system back when it was still known as the NX, and it's still not releasing until almost a year after it released in the West for PS4/PC. If anything, PS4/PC players should be happy they already played one of the best RPGs in recent memory and don't have to wait in agony like Switch only players have to.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine peoepl more pissed about the music situation.

This is not some years later deal either so yeah people going to be more pissed.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm angry about the reveal trailer in the Direct because the narrator reminds me so much of Iron Chef dubs that I got distracted.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The music stuff is pretty shitty since it was basically the only glaring issue in the game. At the time it felt like self sabotage since the orchestrated music existed and just wasn't in the game.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I've played the game already during all this time. This isn't bothering me in the slightest. Not much different from a 'GOTY' edition releasing a year later with all the DLC included and whatever other extras in my opinion.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Because it's still a scummy thing to do when your game came out 5 months ago and when the old versions can be updated without any problem at all, especially when they're the features that your fans requested since launch. Hell, I got this game at $30 and I'm pissed, I imagine the people who got it at $60 on release date would be even more annoyed.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Not much different from a 'GOTY' edition releasing a year later with all the DLC included and whatever other extras in my opinion.
Except GOTY editions usually release on the original platform, this (currently) isn't. Same with definitive editions... they're usually a generation later.

It's probably less egregious for Japan where there will have been a two year gap between 3DS/PS4 and Switch, but here it's less than a year.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because people spent $60 on this game not even a year ago, and now they're being told they spent money on a product that was inferior all along. Idk, I'm getting DQ11S, but I think it is pretty shameful to not offer the new content to existing owners.

Nov 15, 2017
-Buy PS4 version knowing Switch version will be released a little later with new exclusive content.

-Get mad when Switch version is released with new exclusive content

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
im not angry, but it is annoying that after paying $60 for a game last year that i would have to buy a completely different version of it if i want these extras, which sound cool. but its no biggie. if the new story content is good, ill grab a switch copy when it drops in price. if its not worth it, ill just stick with my ps4 copy

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's clearly not coming? They had plenty of time to clarify it, the new story stuff for instance was known months ago.

Also, typically I'd say 90 percent of definitive editions tend to be multiplatform.

I wouldn't replay it so I'm not personally affected by it (and I played on PC so the music issues was moot), but it's easy to see why some would be annoyed.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

No, because games re-releases get new stuff added all the time.

DQXI is also a 100+ hours game packed with content, so not exactly lacking in "completeness".

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy about it because it's a good reason to play this gem again. It needed some exclusive features and more story on Switch after that long wait. I mean it was anounced for Switch before we even knew the name of the console....

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So what's different about the music, are they just adding in the orchestrations? Because I've been playing it on PC with that already. Doesn't help PS4 players, but not sure what the fuss is on PC. Is it an entirely new soundtrack?

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I've played the game already during all this time. This isn't bothering me in the slightest. Not much different from a 'GOTY' edition releasing a year later with all the DLC included and whatever other extras in my opinion.
Yeah, that's not the same, AT ALL. In fact, it IS much different from a GOTY edition. Try again?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Because it's still a scummy thing to do when your game came out 5 months ago and when the old versions can be updated without any problem at all
Well, not exactly 'without any problem at all'. 11S uses a newer version of Unreal Engine (it's originally a mid 2017 game). Not that customers should be expected to care about that but yeah.

I can't imagine an orchestral toggle would be hard to implement but newer content could be.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Except GOTY editions usually release on the original platform, this (currently) isn't. Same with definitive editions... they're usually a generation later.

It's probably less egregious for Japan where there will have been a two year gap between 3DS/PS4 and Switch, but here it's less than a year.
By the time it releases, it will have been a year

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

This happen all the time to Nintendo Platforms Tbh, it's rarer to see more contents for Nintendo Hardware and perviouly exclusive Nintendo games usually have more contents when ported to somewhere else.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
-Buy PS4 version knowing Switch version will be released a little later with new exclusive content.

-Get mad when Switch version is released with new exclusive content

I bought the PC version knowing there would be a Switch version down the road.

I don't care about the midi music, as If I hadn't played hundreds and hundreds of games in the past with midi music.

The only sell point that would make me double dip was the 3DS version, and lo and behold, they added it to the Switch version, so I'm getting it just to play it on 2D.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have the PS4 ver and plan to buy the PC version in the future.

Not mad about this since I am gonna be buying the Switch version mainly for the 2D mode.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Non-switch owners are missing out on exclusive story content and orchestral music. The latter especially was a huge sore point for the original release.

PC users aren't though. I grabbed it at launch and I just grabbed an updated version four days ago without any problems. Unless there's some serious regional issues going on that aren't happening here. Besides that, being orchestrated doesn't make up for boring compositions, which half of them are. It doesn't really compare to DQ VIII in that regard.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'd be angry if I spent full price on it. I only dropped 35 dollars on it for a PSN sale so I'll take this L on the chin. I knew there was a chance of this when I bought it on PSN.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
Probably because the vanilla release had music some fans had a MASSIVE distaste for and it now it seems that what seems to be a fix is being released exclusively on a different platform.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Well, not exactly 'without any problem at all'. 11S uses a newer version of Unreal Engine (it's originally a mid 2017 game). Not that customers should be expected to care about that but yeah.
That might be a problem for the extra story bits or even things like having your party follow you in the overworld, but I don't see why can't they just swap the OST at the very least (besides homophobic war crime denier, I know that).

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely see no problem with releasing everything exclusive to switch and am surprised that people found it so much of a problem.

If all the bad will is purely over the soundtrack, that aspect at least would make sense to provide to existing ps4/pc games

Other content though was made after the game came out and the 2D mode makes sense for portable platforms

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The soundtrack stuff was like the only major complaint I seen here to sue how some cant see why people are really annoyed.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me the extra content on PS4 as dlc. Paid dlc even, I'm not demanding a free update like some do here. We got the game a year early so that's fine but give me the option to pay to upgrade to the Definitive Edition please.

AB (^_^)

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Mhhh... isnt this like any other ninty exclusive version. Like battle for atlas for example.

Also minecraft has some exclusive content and no one is complaining...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Nintendo fans are used to this tbh. RE4, Tales of Symphonia, Viewtiful Joe, Tales of Graces, No More Heroes, Samurai Warriors 3, etc.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Some of the features, such as the orchestra soundtrack is a up straight slap in the face to people who have already bought the game. At the very least that feature should be a free update to every version.