• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
No matter what's your position in this, there's one thing clear: if Square Enix ever decides to add the new elements to the PC/PS4 version, it will not be through a free patch. Be ready to shell at least 15-20$ because the amount of additions to the Definitive Edition is massive.

Considering that Yuji Horii himself said recently that the DQ team started to gather for the next canonical episode, I think it's really doubtful than the Definitive Edition or its content is coming to any other platform than Switch for the moment.

$15-20 is super optimistic. It would probably be a lot more than that. Like $10 for the Soundtrack DLC, $20 for 2D Mode DLC, $20 for the side-chapter "Season Pass", and a free patch that adds the new combat features/QOL and character voices

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry, it wasn't that hard to understand. Problem is, DQXI is already on Playstation and on PC. A patch or a re-release is more likely than waiting for a console-bound exclusive to release on an other console. Your comparison or joke barely makes any sens.

We've yet to hear that the additional Switch content will never land elsewhere. If it was the case, Nintendo would capitalize on it and make the world knows. They didn't. Last time we heard about it, Square Enix said they were "undecided" : https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1095959255377539072 In other words : "buy the Switch verison/double-dip, we'll speak about the rest later".
It'll either be "undecided" forever or we'll see a nextgen port. I don't see S content ever making it to PS4 most likely and almost unquestionably not as dlc (due to UE4 issues).

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Most rational adults would understand the Switch version having some exclusives, but the amount of new content with how long ago the PS4/PC versions came out just doesn't feel good. I'll leave this thread because it seems like some people lack compassion, reason, or just love defending billion dollar corporations.

This whole situation has definitely been pretty messy. Horii lets it slip rather informally that there's a Switch version the day of announcement, getting the western release out takes a little over a year from the Japanese version, the enhanced Switch version ends up being (re)announced a few years later but in the exact same month as the initial Western release, and several exclusive enhancements are confirmed and shown for it I believe two or three months later. Meanwhile the Japanese PS4 version seems to be gone and buried between the Western release and Switch update, with not even the more minor QoL updates patched in to my knowledge, and it's still not even two years old. It's been a bit all over the place so I can see why people have been annoyed/confused with this game.

At least one takeaway for me is that hopefully they have a more straightforward strategy in mind for DQXII, and one that can be more consistently-applied from game to game. I think they've gotten KH and FF in a solid place for the most part as far as their strategies for release timing, worldwide promotion, post-release support, etc. go, and at least from a commercial perspective the effort has been paying off greatly. But DQ often ends up having a hamstrung process in some way for one reason or other that diminishes some of its potential.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Look people, at the end of the day, this is like 99% the same game you've already played. I modded the orchestral tracks into the PC version, and it was still a hot pile of repetitive shit, for example. The 2D thing is gonna be cute for an hour or two, but it'll get old fast, and you know it. The new story bits are going to be a couple of short quests for each character by the look of it which can be easily YouTube'd. Why would anyone want to go through the whole 100-hour game again for this is beyond me. SE sold you a beautiful game a year ago. You bought, you had fun with, move on. It's like getting mad at car companies for making the newer models more fuel efficient :D

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is it possible that DXI on Switch might end up having a slew of technical issues because of it being on a weaker system?

I'm no expert in drawing comparisons in quality, but I understand that Mortal Kombat 11 on the Switch had technical issues not found on either PS4 and Xbox One.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The remastered OST being exclusive is terrible! You released crap and went through the process of updating it but withhold it from everyone else.
they didn't remaster or update the music for this release. the orchestrated versions of the music have existed ever since the game came out, they just didn't have permission to use them in-game.

Is it possible that DXI on Switch might end up having a slew of technical issues because of it being on a weaker system?

I'm no expert in drawing comparisons in quality, but I understand that Mortal Kombat 11 on the Switch had technical issues not found on either PS4 and Xbox One.
mortal kombat 11 wasn't shown running on switch until release, they've been showing this one running on switch since february and there's a ton of footage out, including the treehouse demo and the gamexplain preview. people already know how it runs and what it looks like, they're not hiding anything.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Given the response in core circles (and low PS4/Steam western sales originally) I do wonder if it'd have been better for SE to delay the original localization and just launch all 3 versions simultaneously this September as the Definitive Edition? Or would we have just as many complaining about Switch holding back their launch date instead?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Like I said before there is a real possibility they could release the material on other platforms, but on the flip side there is a real possibility you'll never see the game updated if the Japanese version is anything to go by. If it does happen I doubt Nintendo will let an RE4 happen again, so you'd have to wait quite a bit. There is also a possibility Nintendo paid for a form of exclusivity or pulled an octopath and limited it to PC a year later. Actually that would be an epic train wreck to witness.

Or would we have just as many complaining about Switch holding back their launch date instead?
Hahahahaha. It's no fun when you answer your own question.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The music bit I get and it's a really shitty move. But are people really that upset about the new content being exclusive to Switch? Isn't that basically the same thing that a lot of other Japanese devs do?

Like, did people shit on Falcom when Tokyo Xanadu eX+ came out on PS4 and PC with tons of extra content just one year after the Vita release when Vita owners had no way to upgrade their version of the game? I don't think this situation is that different tbh. (again, excluding the music because that's bs and should be available on PS4 and PC as well)

Dec 1, 2017
Like, did people shit on Falcom when Tokyo Xanadu eX+ came out on PS4 and PC with tons of extra content just one year after the Vita release when Vita owners had no way to upgrade their version of the game? I don't think this situation is that different tbh.
The audience for Tokyo Xanadu is probably the audience that comes to it with the rerelease, has only played the original, or will buy it twice anyway. It's niche enough anyway that the people complaining about DQXI S don't know what a Tokyo Xanadu or a Falcom is.
Unless the treehouse stream is secretely the PS4 version or it has an insanely long boot load time, it looks fine:

I think this game is good enough that it warrants a replay+buying a second version but SQEnix are totally backwards on this (not to mention Sugiyama's bigotry).

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The audience for Tokyo Xanadu is probably the audience that comes to it with the rerelease, has only played the original, or will buy it twice anyway. It's niche enough anyway that the people complaining about DQXI S don't know what a Tokyo Xanadu or a Falcom is.
While that's true, I feel like this kind of stuff happen a lot with Japanese games (especially JRPGs). Tokyo Xanadu was the one that just came to my mind atm since I had played it recently myself.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Unless the treehouse stream is secretely the PS4 version or it has an insanely long boot load time, it looks fine:

I think this game is good enough that it warrants a replay+buying a second version but SQEnix are totally backwards on this (not to mention Sugiyama's bigotry).

How bad was the music on the PS4 version? Would it have been given high marks if it were released during the SNES era? Someone compared DQXI's music with the orchestral arrangements in Batman Forever. I listened to some of the music on youtube and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Going by the complaints, I was expecting something along the lines of Final Fantasy VII.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Would gladly trade these Switch upgrades for Monster Hunter World, Persona 5 Royal and the chance to have played this 2 years ago tbh...
Would trade even Mario for kiseki on switch.
Anyway this whole dq 11 was a mess due to marketing. First announced also for switch, than se forgot It existed for months and months. Than se complained for low 3ds Sales in Japan (didn't It sell more than ps4?)..than western ps4 release Is sent to suicide and now they cash cow It on switch.

Really bad even for se.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I really regret buying this on PC. I almost started playing it and then heard the Switch version was getting so much new content. :( If only the Switch didn't have such weak hardware. Also it kind of sucks that NCL was willing to pay the bribe money in order license music from a war crime denying, queerphobic, nationalist composer. (I assume Nintendo is footing the bill.)

Heyasuki

Nov 28, 2017
Like, did people shit on Falcom when Tokyo Xanadu eX+ came out on PS4 and PC with tons of extra content just one year after the Vita release when Vita owners had no way to upgrade their version of the game? )

It's true Japanese companies do this sort of thing a lot. Falcom does a majority of their releases with a better version later. I guess for me personally I don't like that it's on weaker (graphically) plaform and I'm not used to that. I also just realized this must be how people stuck on old platforms must feel all the time =[

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my ps4 version and waiting for the switch release! Can't wait. I was loving the game but stopped frequently due it being a tad slow. It sounds like all the switch additions will make it a faster paced experience.

Sep 25, 2018

I wish I would have more time to game on switch and ps4 but I would miss things I go through now at my age so I will have to say no

all I was saying if people getting screw make sure everyone screw so this way no one feels another person getting favoritism Japan did not get the updates the American version got do you think that was okay?

Excitemike

Dec 20, 2017
Hopefully SE releases DLC for Switch to get 1080p/4K resolution of the PS4. And don't forget DLC to let players mod it like the Steam version.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, the fact that DQ XI didn't get an orchestral soundtrack on PS4 so I re bought it on PC. Then it was announced that the Nintendo Switch would get the soundtrack, exclusive content, and now what basically amounts to DLC. It's a pretty shit tier move, I hope they offer the stuff on the other platforms at a later date.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I freaking loved DQ11 and got my platinum in it. It's a shame this extra content won't be available for PS4, but the original game is more than worth the cost already.