• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
It's some shocked Pikachu-ass shit to complain when you knew what you were getting into and still bought the game early. You thought the Switch release was going to be some lazy late port with nothing to sweeten the pot? Ya thought wrong. Maybe hold off next time until a better version rolls around. I did, and I have a PS4 Pro sitting ten feet away. None of that scuffed Spencer Mansion Basement music for me, no sirree.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nope. It was well known there was no orchestra music before the game launched. Buy a game for what it is, not what you hope it one day might be.
Nope. There was orchestra music, but they refused to include it and gave the impression it would never be. Now releasing a version with it is indeed just giving people who already bought the game without any way to get that soundtrack for the version they paid for the middle finger.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Not everyone is in the loop about the news of what is exclusive and what isn't for a future edition on another console. And expecting people to know what is and isn't and telling them they should have waited is cruel IMO.

Saying that people should be informed consumers is cruel now?

In fact, I'm not even saying that. It's okay to be uninformed, if you don't then blame someone else for you not being informed. I'm just saying that if you don't make an effort to be an informed consumer, you don't get to complain that you were blindsided by long-public information. That's on you.

People who bought DQ XI got exactly what they paid for: a lengthy, high-quality game. It's not like SE was pushing a defective product on people.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's some shocked Pikachu-ass shit to complain when you knew what you were getting into and still bought the game early. You thought the Switch release was going to be some lazy late port with nothing to sweeten the pot? Ya thought wrong. Maybe hold off next time until a better version rolls around. I did, and I have a PS4 Pro sitting ten feet away. None of that scuffed Spencer Mansion Basement music for me, no sirree.
Um. But there is no logical connection between the orchestral OST and the delay between the PS4 and Switch release of the game. What you are saying does not make sense.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I would be pissed too if I had to listen to that shitty midi and get no update.

I'm glad I waited.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Its pretty scummy against people who bought the PS4/PC version. Should at least include the bonus content as a free update.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean people playing on PS4 and Steam got something sweet that Switch owners don't... getting the game a year early. Would you have preferred the other versions were held back?

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because its a slap in the face for people who support and bought the game 6 months ago.
The new version it's exclusive for another console, SE need to offer this new content as DLC or something.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
I get it a little bit, but the signs were everywhere. And I wouldn't be surprised if this version's exclusivity was time limited.

I'll be double dipping without hesitation.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
But wouldnt they still have needed to pay him for the Switch release? Also did the original JP release have the orchestral soundtrack? I'm confused.
The original JP never had orchestral arrangements.

What the poster your speaking may be suggesting is that Nintendo may have paid SE additional money that was passed on to Sugiyama for the orchestral versions.

Obviously its conjecture, but it would explain why they finally got the tunes in the game. This was the third time the game was released--Original JP, International version, which added English VA, running and other QoL options, and the Switch version with its additions.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. There was orchestra music, but they refused to include it and gave the impression it would never be. Now releasing a version with it is indeed just giving people who already bought the game without any way to get that soundtrack for the version they paid for the middle finger.

I don't think any version was released with orchestra music, so not sure what you're referring to.

Sorry man. Buy a game for what is in there. If you don't see it in there don't assume it will be added. That transaction is done.

Jan 11, 2018
I mean you're getting more content and worse graphics but on a later date, seems like a fine trade off for me so don't get why people would get angry. How about not buy day 1 instead? It's not that SE did a bait-and-switch, all the content that was promised for PS4/PC are there.

The result of people waiting and not buying something like Dragon Quest on day one tends to result in the publisher making statements about how they're not sure if it's worth localising any further games in the series for the West, or for that particular platform at least. That's not the signal you want to send either.

If we'r talking about something like Spider-Man, then sure. I'm confident we'll see a GOTY version of that later this year, and probably a Definitive Edition on PS5. But there was also no risk of the game flopping at launch.

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
I don't get it either. For a super hyper ultra late port, how are you going sell it without a little bit of extra?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
All of these could have been offered in at the very least the western version of the PS4 release. It took them over a year after the Japanese release. Dual audio and orchestrated OST should have been in. Absolutely no good reason they weren't.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The Japanese release was Midi as well.
But wouldnt they still have needed to pay him for the Switch release? Also did the original JP release have the orchestral soundtrack? I'm confused.
Huh. Apparently not.

But regardless, I can't understate one point enough.

SUGIYAMA IS A FUCKING RAT-ASS BASTARD

and he will keep a firm grip on the use of his orchestral music until his war crime-denying ass is six feet under. The only reason that it's in the Switch version is because some party convinced him to let him use the orchestral music in the Switch version with a large check.

All of these could have been offered in at the very least the western version of the PS4 release. It took them over a year after the Japanese release. Dual audio and orchestrated OST should have been in. Absolutely no good reason they weren't.
The original Japanese release didn't even have a Japanese voice track. The Switch version is the first release to get one.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Apparently not.

But regardless, I can't understate one point enough.

SUGIYAMA IS A FUCKING RAT-ASS BASTARD

and he will keep a firm grip on the use of his orchestral music until his war crime-denying ass is six feet under. The only reason that it's in the Switch version is because some party convinced him to let him use the orchestral music in the Switch version with a large check.
Yea. Which is why I can see it coming as paid Dlc for pc/Ps4 for around the same price as his album.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why would dual audio be in when the Japanese version itself never had audio in the first place? It already had two SKUs with the 3DS and PS4 version. Another PS4 international version one year later would've looked worse.

Here they can spin this version as the definitive one, add story content, add the 3DS content, and add Japanese voices. It's much better value proposition for the Japanese market than another relatively minor, in terms of changes, PS4 release.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Because the orchestral OST should have been an option from the beginning. I have the music mod for the PC version so it's.m not the ends of the world, but it makes you feel like you bought an unfinished product.

Having to compromise on the graphics to play with it, and expecting people to pay full price twice in a year is low.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).
The problem with this is that it has been announced and PRONOUNCED that it will have exclusive features for awhile now.

Like is it not logical to not wait and see?

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
The music itself doesn't bother me, but I am jealous of the 2D stuff. I didn't expect the Switch version to get it, and now I genuinely wish I had waited.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one gave a shit and they can't pretend to now. It was expected and celebrated that the western version would have upgrades from the Japanese version.

Nobody celebrated shit over the Japanese version not getting features, the west were happy we got improvements over the Japanese release but i have seen nobody actively being against something being patched in, unlike in this thread.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
The music would be icing on the cake, I just want them to patch in the faster battle speed to the other versions of the game.

No way they would patch the 2d mode

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

I finished the PS4 version true ending and all and am not remotely upset that a Switch version I won't be getting is receiving neat extra content to justify it's existence

Jan 11, 2018
The problem with this is that it has been announced and PRONOUNCED that it will have exclusive features for awhile now.

But a proper soundtrack that existed at the time of release due to issues with the composer that appear to be solved now should not be considered an "exclusive feature".

Nobody celebrated shit over the Japanese version not getting features, the west were happy we got improvements over the Japanese release but i have seen nobody actively being against something being patched in, unlike in this thread.

This. I would never have begrudged Japanese fans for requesting the International features be patched into the Japanese versions. That's just petty.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
The onus is on them to communicate, maybe they will change their plans after the backlash? So far they haven't said anything.

I'm not saying the onus isn't on them to communicate, but I'm seeing a lot people ITT treat no news as if it's a foregone conclusion when DLC could always be announced later down the road. But there's also the legitimate issue of whether Nintendo paid for the rights to use Sugiyama's content or not.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's some shocked Pikachu-ass shit to complain when you knew what you were getting into and still bought the game early. You thought the Switch release was going to be some lazy late port with nothing to sweeten the pot? Ya thought wrong.

Exactly. Not only was the PS4/PC release not ever claimed to be the final incarnation of the game, it was explicitly stated not to be, long before anyone bought it, and people are still upset about being "slapped in the face" or whatever.

I don't have a ton of sympathy for people whining that the newer version has extra stuff, just because they assumed that it wouldn't.

And of course, DQ XI is still a great game and a good value for your gaming dollar on any platform.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
But a proper soundtrack that existed at the time of release due to issues with the composer that appear to be solved now should not be considered an "exclusive feature".

This. I would never have begrudged Japanese fans for requesting the International features be patched into the Japanese versions. That's just petty.

It's likily solved by Nintendo paying for the rights. I think it's possible for a paid dlc for the sound tracks to happen down the road for PC and PS4 unless he hates money.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm not saying the onus isn't on them to communicate, but I'm seeing a lot people ITT treat no news as if it's a foregone conclusion when DLC could always be announced later down the road. But there's also the legitimate issue of whether Nintendo paid for the rights to use Sugiyama's content or not.

To be fair, Square Enix isn't known for going back to update old releases. NieR Automata on PC still hasn't been patched. The BGM bug persist in the new console ports of FFIX, as it was never fixed on PS4. The latter did get an update to the UI, but that was not made available for the Steam version owners.

I think the pessimistic attitude towards the way this company handles consumer service is warranted.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I have the PC version and luckily didn't start it but it's been less than a year since release and the fact that some of this content could easily come to PC/PS4 is kind of a slap-in-the-face to early buyers.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience this kind of stuff with enhanced rereleases or ports used to be a common habit, especially with Japanese games, but for a variety of reasons many have eased off of this approach in favor of different distribution/update models that keep the access barriers smaller, ensure better content parity between different platforms, and/or package enhancements and additions in a way that's more appealing to many of those who bought the initial release. We aren't getting a Final Mix release of Kingdom Hearts 3 that basically requires the initial buyers to buy the entire game again to access new/updated content, for example, and even Pokemon has seemingly moved away from the "Director's Cut" style third versions to make stuff like sequels instead. I'd say overall what's happening here isn't as common as it used to be, so in these cases where it does happen and people take notice, it'll be controversial.

Of course, I obviously don't know if anything was worked out to make this happen, or if they have something in mind for people who have the PS4/PC versions and don't want to or can't buy it again on Switch. I'd like a version of the game that's optimal in every way, but oh well, maybe someday. As far as content definitive versions of DQ games tend to end up on handhelds, so that it happened yet again isn't really surprising to me personally.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).

Nintendo fans are kind of immune by now to the frustration of not getting games that come to other systems, or getting gimped versions of them.