• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think they should make a DLC for PS4 players for the soundtrack. The album costs about ¥4000, I think ¥2000 DLC for it is more than fair.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Dragon Quest Xi released in July 2017.
This is the important part to consider, crossposting this from the announcement thread:

I bought the PS4 version already but can't be mad about this, you have to consider that when this version releases in fall the PS4 version will have been out for over 2 years in Japan, that's a reasonable timespan for an updated release. While it's a lot shorter to us, we already got some notable additions over the japanese release with the current releases.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Although I skipped the PS4 version to wait for Switch (played 3ds version instead), I could understand the frustration.
Same shit happened back in the day with Tales of, and it really does feel like a shitty practice.
Having said that, I do understand that there's some technical difficulties due to different version of UE4 being used.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is the important part to consider, crossposting this from the announcement thread:

I bought the PS4 version already but can't be mad about this, you have to consider that when this version releases in fall the PS4 version will have been out for over 2 years in Japan, that's a reasonable timespan for an updated release. While it's a lot shorter to us, we already got some notable additions over the japanese release with the current releases.

People here don't realize that western sales for DQ is just a nice bonus and not the main consideration of SE for DQ.
80% of DQ sales is generated in Japan, so they are the main consideration for this.
If done well, the additional content can net SE nice sales for this version.
DQ port on DS/3DS all did above 1m and they all had additional contents.
SE is probably hoping for similar ballpark figures.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because switch version will get new songs and battle songs which could be added via patch for consoles, I guess

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I totally understand why some people are upset. But we're talking square enix here. They will rerelease some games in various states over the years, which means you gotta be lucky to get the best version. Who knows what they'll mess up in the next rerelease.

The only baffling decision is the orchestral soundtrack out of nowhere. I wonder what happened there. Even so some tracks are actually better in midi, like the sylvando theme. You'll only get the the old sleepy man version with the orchestra. Overall the OST pretty weak, no matter which version you listen to.

for me it doesn't matter anymore. I'm already done with the game and most likely good for 10-15 years if i get the urge for a replay.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing SE There will likely be a super duper complete edition in about a year, but I understand why some people are upset.

That said DQXI was one of the 1st title ever confirmed for the Switch and given Nintendo's history with the franchise, it was fair to assume there would be something special for the Switch verison and I always operated under that assumption.

I think some people last year got way too carried away assuming the Switch version would be a straight port and that was a huge mistake. This isn't Red Dead where a Switch version is unlikely, not only was a version always announced, it's biggest market is still Japan where Nintendo is super dominant.

The western PS4/PC release was also super anemic, despite the revenue spin, it was up against records held by previous DS and 3DS DQ releases which sold for under $40 instead of $60 so its unclear if the XI release last year even sold more copies than the Nintendo western releases of the franchise.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Honestly, some people act like this is the first game ever to be released later but get additional features. Of course that is going to happen, doesn't that happen all the time??

"It's not the same game, it's not the same content." is the joke meme right? Don't really remember much outrage then, wonder why now?

Is it because these additional DQ features are actually something cool and people want them?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
People here don't realize that western sales for DQ is just a nice bonus and not the main consideration of SE for DQ.
80% of DQ sales is generated in Japan, so they are the main consideration for this.
If done well, the additional content can net SE nice sales for this version.
DQ port on DS/3DS all did above 1m and they all had additional contents.
SE is probably hoping for similar ballpark figures.

Thats nice that the million plus western sales dont matter to them. And its nice that the game came out however long ago in Japan. Fact is it is coming out this year on the switch in the west. And this was announced not even 6 months after release in the west. So yeah im salty.

But im also pissed that they knowingly said to their western fans "buy this or no more Dragon Quest in the west" knowing that 4 months later a definitive edition with all the features people asked for would be announced thus expecting people to double dip. It is a scummy practice. If the game was years old from release IN THE WEST, i would not mind. But fact is less than a year later and what i would have wanted to be fixed they expect me to buy it again. Fuck them.

So as my first first Dragon Quest game they can keep it over in Japan, because pull shit like this and it will be my last.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The only thing that makes me think at least some of the additions will make their way to the other platforms is that DQXI's marketing team is still pretty active, and is in the midst of rolling out dozens of PSN DQ avatars. Usually by now DQ marketing teams have completely disbanded or refocused their efforts to something else.

I don't see why they'd bother releasing all these fancy themes and avatars to push a game that has no further patches and likely sold the bulk of what it was going to sell.

That being said, it's Square Enix so it'll be questionably priced like the WoFF Maxima DLC which was a little steep for some QOL and a few extra fights with even more reused assets than the game already had.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thats nice that the million plus western sales dont matter to them. And its nice that the game came out however long ago in Japan. Fact is it is coming out this year on the switch in the west. And this was announced not even 6 months after release in the west. So yeah im salty.

But im also pissed that they knowingly said to their western fans "buy this or no more Dragon Quest in the west" knowing that 4 months later a definitive edition with all the features people asked for would be announced thus expecting people to double dip. It is a scummy practice. If the game was years old from release IN THE WEST, i would not mind. But fact is less than a year later and what i would have wanted to be fixed they expect me to buy it again. Fuck them.

So as my first first Dragon Quest game they can keep it over in Japan.

The game hasn't sold 1m in the west.
Also Switch having extra content is not really a news.
We already know it's coming later and DQ always has additional content when ported to another platform.
On top of that, this release is going to be 2 years after original release, not 6 months.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I wonder if we'll see HUGE OUTCRY when a year after the Switch release PC and PS4 get a definitive version with all those extras PLUS the purty graphics?

Switch owners gonna be like WTF SE YOU MADE A BETTER VERSION THAN OURS A YEAR LATER WTF?

This is just normal gaming, I understand it sucks because these additions are actually awesome for once but really.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
The game hasn't sold 1m in the west.
Also Switch having extra content is not really a news.
We already know it's coming later and DQ always has additional content when ported to another platform.
On top of that, this release is going to be 2 years after original release, not 6 months.

As far as i could google search as of november it had sold around 800,000 units. I would assume it would be close to the million regardless if give or take.

And its not the fact that it has exclusive story things. That doesnt bother me. But simple QoL things like the music etc

Also as i said i bought the game release date in september. If i buy it on switch it will be this year in the west. I dont care when the game was available in japan. They sold it to me in my country in september. Told me to buy or no more dragon quest. Than 4 months later announced a better version for sale in the west that will be available within a year from the ps4 version

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because PS4 players are used to having the best version of every game all the time with the most content ( Sony paying for some extra missions in Destiny 1) and can't reconcile the fact that just this once the shoe is on the other foot.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll see HUGE OUTCRY when a year after the Switch release PC and PS4 get a definitive version with all those extras PLUS the purty graphics?

Switch owners gonna be like WTF SE YOU MADE A BETTER VERSION THAN OURS A YEAR LATER WTF?

This is just normal gaming, I understand it sucks because these additions are actually awesome for once but really.

Why should Switch owners complain that more powerful consoles have a better looking version?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You won't because your example is stupid mate.

Technical specs pushing better resolution is not analogous to exclusive content.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018

So as my first first Dragon Quest game they can keep it over in Japan, because pull shit like this and it will be my last.
You already got added voice acting, various difficulty settings and a fucking sprint button that's not in the japanese PS4 version. Could you imagine the uproar among the japanese fanbase if those where the only additions the Switch release got + a graphical downgrade while their PS4 version was still missing all those things we got? At least with the upcoming Switch release we're all getting the same new content.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least all the bonus stuff is actually coming.

Imagine if this was the PS2 days and it was like the Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes or the International versions of Final Fantasy which weren't translated at all.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm curious what peoples' reactions will be when Persona 5R is announced to be releasing in Fall of this year with a bunch of new stuff as well.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
This is just the reverse of all those definitive edition JRPGs that the PS3 got for years. Japan usually adds extra content when they port a game but it's probably not worth getting worked up about

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Actually, that reminds me.

Can anyone in Japan say if this is a legitimate theory? Maybe Square Enix knows that the Switch is going to be more popular than the PS4 in Japan, so they figured they'd dole out all of the features for the Switch? It'd explain why dual audio is a thing for the international copies as Japan would get voice acting on the Switch.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get people upset about the music as even the orchestrated stuff sucks

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't care about all the other new additions... it's very understandable for late ports.

But the music, this is what pissing me and most of the people off, why we didn't have this in the original PS4 and Steam release?

No excuses for this at all.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't care about all the other new additions... it's very understandable for late ports.

But the music, this is what pissing me and most of the people off, why we didn't have this in the original PS4 and Steam release?

No excuses for this at all.

If Nintendo paid Sugiyama for the rights to use his orchestrated soundtrack or negotiated terms for royalties per game purchase, then that would be a viable excuse.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, that reminds me.

Can anyone in Japan say if this is a legitimate theory? Maybe Square Enix knows that the Switch is going to be more popular than the PS4 in Japan, so they figured they'd dole out all of the features for the Switch? It'd explain why dual audio is a thing for the international copies as Japan would get voice acting on the Switch.

Doesn't Square have a history of adding new stuff to international editions and then rereleasing the international version game in Japan later? Plus there are the Final Mix editions of Kingdom Hearts. FFXII had the job system added in the Japanese rerelease. These seems par for the course for Square Enix.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
The point is the people that wait almost always get the better versions of things. You could have got it last year, or you could buy it this year and get additional content, or you can wait even longer and buy it next year and get the even more definitive version!

Could just wait forever. Or just play it on whatever and be happy.

I don't understand why suddenly every version of something has to be parity. Game comes out later = additional stuff, this is so common in gaming. If it didn't have additional stuff but came out a year later I'd be more surprised.

The main problem here is the additional stuff is actually good so people care for a change.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't Square have a history of adding new stuff to international editions and then rereleasing the international version game in Japan later? Plus there are the Final Mix editions of Kingdom Hearts. FFXII had the job system added in the Japanese rerelease. These seems par for the course for Square Enix.

While true, the only difference is that it took until the PS3 era before we finally got international 1 and 2 Final Mix editions as they were Japan-exclusive on the PS2.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah this is where I'm at too. Console exclusivity has always been shitty and luckily the industry has slowly been moving away from it, but it's a thing and I've just gotten used to it. But SE did say this and it's was a shitty, scummy thing to do knowing an enhanced version was already on lock to be announced not even half a year later. Reminds me, (to a lesser degree), when people were asking them if the KH Remixes were going to come to PS4 and they just weren't sure but be sure to buy the PS3 versions.

The point is the people that wait almost always get the better versions of things. You could have got it last year, or you could buy it this year and get additional content, or you can wait even longer and buy it next year and get the even more definitive version!

Could just wait forever. Or just play it on whatever and be happy.

I don't understand why suddenly every version of something has to be parity. Game comes out later = additional stuff, this is so common in gaming. If it didn't have additional stuff but came out a year later I'd be more surprised.

The main problem here is the additional stuff is actually good so people care for a change.

I think the issue a lot of people are having, (or at least I am), is that a lot of this content could easily be brought to the other versions, and instead SE just excepts you to buy the entire game again. DLC money isn't enough, they want people to buy the same game again for $60. After telling people in the west they definitely needed to buy DQ or else they jus taught not bring it over anymore. It's just a shitty way to treat your customers.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).
This happens all the time with Nintendo games lol, Mass effect 3, Rayman Legends, the list goes on

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
While true, the only difference is that it took until the PS3 era before we finally got international 1 and 2 Final Mix editions as they were Japan-exclusive on the PS2.

True. But my point is that Square has a history of rereleasing games with added additions. I don't think the new stuff for DQ 11 S has much to do with the Switch's success in Japan. They're releasing the game 2.5 years after its initial release. People are looking for new stuff if they're going to rebuy which is very likely in Japan. And as a bonus, Switch owners internationally will get that new content as well. I don't think it's some high level forward thinking on Square's part.

Late port of a game. Add new features. Hope those features will get people to rebuy it and bring in potential new owners. It's simple logic to me.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't particularly care as I'll definitely double dip, but I find it hilarious how Switch fans are playing dumb acting as if it's unreasonable for people on PS4 and PC to be upset by this. If this was the other way round they'd be absolutely livid and chanting "fuck Square Enix".

Those versions just came out in the West. 4 months later Square Enix announces that the version coming to Switch has an orchestrated soundtrack, which was one of the chief complaints about the PS4/PC release + supposed new story content. Making that exclusive to Switch in an age of DLC and patches is obviously going to upset people.

Again, not an issue for me but people are within their right to be annoyed by this.

Apr 21, 2018
I can see the 2D stuff being Switch exclusive but no reason they can't update the music of the PS4/PC version.

Yeah, this is a bit of a kick in the nuts. When has a game ever released on two consoles where one had a shitty midi OST and the other had the original orchestrated version.

I thought that racist composer had some Japanese rights to it or something?

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think nobody likes to pay to be a beta tester.
The Definitive Edition is much improved and exclusive to 1 platform, probably developed with the profits from the PS4/PC sales. It's an asshole move, screams Square-Enix.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Late ports with more content are incredibly common. Square Enix even talked about this way before the western release.

The reason why this is making people upset it's because the features and content are consequential. That is why if you truly aren't content with the base package that they are offering you shouldn't buy the game.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't particularly care as I'll definitely double dip, but I find it hilarious how Switch fans are playing dumb acting as if it's unreasonable for people on PS4 and PC to be upset by this. If this was the other way round they'd be absolutely livid and chanting "fuck Square Enix".

Those versions just came out in the West. 4 months later Square Enix announces that the version coming to Switch has an orchestrated soundtrack, which was one of the chief complaints about the PS4/PC release + supposed new story content. Making that exclusive to Switch in an age of DLC and patches is obviously going to upset people.

Again, not an issue for me but people are within their right to be annoyed by this.

Yea. I actually still believe that the soundtrack will be paid dlc for Ps4 and PC later. The issue with that was always just money.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I guess it is okay to be upset.

But the Switch version is coming late so it makes sense it would have added content. Had I played the game on another system already I wouldn't be mad, though. I'd have already played the game and been done with it.

Or, if it was that big of a deal I'd buy this version too. I don't know. That's probably what SE wants, afterall.

I waited for the Switch version because it made sense there would be something different about it or had some added content. It's not exactly a new precedent.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the music thing is a real slap in the face to early adopters especially because the reason they gave I believe was that the creator of it didnt want it to happen but somehow they can do it here? I'm also kind of miffed about it but whatever.