• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I just want the music, I bought it launch to support DQ and haven't gotten around to playing it and now I don't get the orchestral music. Like, the story stuff whatever but I would pay for the dlc if they released it.
Nintendo fans are used to this tbh. RE4, Tales of Symphonia, Viewtiful Joe, Tales of Graces, No More Heroes, Samurai Warriors 3, etc.
You do see the difference between a GC and modern consoles tho, right?

Jan 11, 2018
It's likily solved by Nintendo paying for the rights. I think it's possible for a paid dlc for the sound tracks to happen down the road for PC and PS4 unless he hates money.

I don't know. They didn't do that for DQVII or DQVIII on 3DS. It's really shameful how much power they're giving this guy. In comparison, someone like Yoko Shimomura could never demand that Disney would only put MIDI versions of her wonderful music in future Kingdom Hearts games, be it new and old games.

It would not surprise me if people can't stream the Switch port with sound, even if they're part of that Nintendo program.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Why would dual audio be in when the Japanese version itself never had audio in the first place? It already had two SKUs with the 3DS and PS4 version. Another PS4 international version one year later would've looked worse.

Here they can spin this version as the definitive one, add story content, add the 3DS content, and add Japanese voices. It's much better value proposition for the Japanese market than another relatively minor, in terms of changes, PS4 release.
SQEX has never had trouble releasing all kinds of different versions of their games on the same platform.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Exactly. Not only was the PS4/PC release not ever claimed to be the final incarnation of the game, it was explicitly stated not to be, long before anyone bought it, and people are still upset about being "slapped in the face" or whatever.

I don't have a ton of sympathy for people whining that the newer version has extra stuff, just because they assumed that it wouldn't.

And of course, DQ XI is still a great game and a good value for your gaming dollar on any platform.

Nearly any other company would have patched stuff like Gameplay changes and Speed into other versions and not hold them hostage in a new SKU. It's not 'whining' to bitch about shitty, anti-consumer practices. The 2D stuff I get since it came from the 3DS and I don't see anyone really bitching about that - everything else though is a completely justified callout on Square's idiotic practices.

Patch it in. It's bullshit to not do it. And patch the Japanese/Asian versions while you're at it.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But a proper soundtrack that existed at the time of release due to issues with the composer that appear to be solved now should not be considered an "exclusive feature".

This. I would never have begrudged Japanese fans for requesting the International features be patched into the Japanese versions. That's just petty.
It aint solved for PS4 yet. we dont know the whole story, we can only speculate not assume.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
User Banned (3 weeks): Thread whining, inflammatory false equivalence to drive system wars. Accumulated infractions
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."
--This thread in a nutshell

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. They didn't do that for DQVII or DQVIII on 3DS. It's really shameful how much power they're giving this guy. In comparison, someone like Yoko Shimomura could never demand that Disney would only put MIDI versions of her wonderful music in future Kingdom Hearts games, be it new and old games.

It would not surprise me if people can't stream the Switch port with sound, even if they're part of that Nintendo program.
I think 7 and 8 were too late in the life cycle for 3DS for Nintendo to do anything, 11 wasn't even released in the west.
I think Nintendo definitely want a good relationship for the inevitable mutilplatform DQ 12 on switch and I can see her footing part of the bills for the extras( Mostly because music licenses are DQ musics are like freaking expensive).

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's annoying... I really struggle with the awful midi OST. I have the BG music muted for that reason. Let that sink for a minute, having to mute the music in a game to be able to enjoy it. Now the orchestral OST is possible on another platform? :(

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Are you comparing platform choice to race and gender inequalities?
I am saying that it looks to me like the loudest outrage is coming from folks who are accustomed to getting the "definitive" version of games on their console of choice, and are upset that it's not happening here. You can infer anything else beyond that as you wish, but I wasn't implying it.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm genuinely curious, but aside from technical reasons, and relating only to content, which Switch ports were inferior?

Yeah, the trend is generally in favour of Nintendo this generation.

BlazBlue: CentralFiction was just released on Switch will all DLC on the cartridge. Dragon Quest Builders got extra content on Switch, did it not? The DLC, at any rate. World of Final Fantasy got an updated released on Switch with more content. Heck the console launched with Disgaea 5 Complete. Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory got a proper retail release with both games on a single cartridge. God Wars: The Complete Legend only got a physical release on Switch outside of Asia. Wild Guns Reloaded has more content in the Switch port. Just to name a few.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I am saying that it looks to me like the loudest outrage are coming from folks who are accustomed to getting the "definitive" version of games on their console of choice, and are upset that it's not happening here. You can infer anything else beyond that as you wish, but I wasn't implying it.
Okay. But... comparing game releases to systemic privilege is super dumb.

Privilege is based on the allocation of limited resources. There is no gigabyte storage that is preventing definitive editions from being released on multiple consoles.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the trend is generally in favour of Nintendo this generation.

BlazBlue: CentralFiction was just released on Switch will all DLC on the cartridge. Dragon Quest Builders got extra content on Switch, did it not? The DLC, at any rate. World of Final Fantasy got an updated released on Switch with more content. Heck the console launched with Disgaea 5 Complete. Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory got a proper retail release with both games on a single cartridge. God Wars: The Complete Legend only got a physical release on Switch outside of Asia. Wild Guns Reloaded has more content in the Switch port. Just to name a few.
Yea. Nintendo only gamers finally have a taste of what's its like to have additional contents instead of the other way round after so many years. Prove that Switch is doing good.

Guys this is nothing, wait till the Switch gets the defenitive version of Persona 5 :D

Persona 5 seriously need a defective edition, it's just went on for too long in the end.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
particularly weird is that a technically way inferior machine gets the 'content-definitive' version of the game...(for now at least).

It's not like PC & PS4 can't run those new content or orchestra music...LOL

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Since when did people demand older versions of a game be updated to include new stuff

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I get why people are angry. It sucks if you put 100 hours into a game and then later a better version comes out. It's not even about the money necessarily. It's more about the time. It's not worth it to play through the entire game again to experience the new stuff, so you just kind of permanently miss out on it.

That said, I don't think I can blame SE for this. They've got to sell the game, and a year late port with worse graphics is a tough sell without some extra perks.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm not mad I will buy the Switch version just to play the whole thing in the 2D mode, but they sure as hell better add the music update to PS4 because that it's pretty shitty not to. The little bit of "extra story" or whatever is probably not worth my time to worry about.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely curious, but aside from technical reasons, and relating only to content, which Switch ports were inferior?
I mean I didn't specify Switch, just Nintendo in general. I don't think I need to list the countless times Nintendo has gotten a port of a game that was a shittier version than what was on the other platforms.

It's rare to see Nintendo get a multiplat that's the "best version".

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about anything except that the orchestrated music should have been in the original release from the get go. It'd be nice to see a patch.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think any version was released with orchestra music, so not sure what you're referring to.

Sorry man. Buy a game for what is in there. If you don't see it in there don't assume it will be added. That transaction is done.
You're right, no version was released with the orchestra music and I never said there was. Point is the orchestra tracks existed but they refused to include them in the game. They even went after people who were modding the tracks into the PC version. They made it appear as if those versions of the tracks would never be added to the game, now that they're including them in the Switch version and giving PS4/PC version owners no way to obtain them after fighting so hard against adding them is straight up shady.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's still a scummy thing to do when your game came out 5 months ago and when the old versions can be updated without any problem at all, especially when they're the features that your fans requested since launch. Hell, I got this game at $30 and I'm pissed, I imagine the people who got it at $60 on release date would be even more annoyed.

Yup, will be pretty annoyed in the orchestral soundtrack doesn't come to the PS4 after I bought it full price.

Jan 11, 2018
Yea. Nintendo only gamers finally have a taste of what's its like to have additional contents instead of the other way round after so many years. Prove that Switch is doing good.

It's not really been the other way around for "so many years" though. In the eyes of developers, the Switch is the first truly viable multiplatform friendly console they've put out since the GameCube. The Wii was severely underpowered so many multi-platform games skipped it altogether, or it got gimped ports that were outsourced to some random small studio. The Wii U bombed, so no wonder it wasn't prioritised.

If you only had a Wii and/or Wii U last gen then you unquestionably made the wrong choice if you wanted to keep up with the latest multi-platform titles. It's really that simple. I love my Vita, and would have loved for it to also get the Maxima content for World of Final Fantasy. But at the end of the day I understand why we're not getting it, but I've also never been under any delusion that a Vita would at any point have been the only system I would ever need to keep up with the latest and greatest.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, no version was released with the orchestra music and I never said there was. Point is the orchestra tracks existed but they refused to include them in the game. They even went after people who were modding the tracks into the PC version. They made it appear as if those versions of the tracks would never be added to the game, now that they're including them in the Switch version and giving PS4/PC version owners no way to obtain them after fighting so hard against adding them is straight up shady.
It's not really been the other way around for "so many years" though. In the eyes of developers, the Switch is the first truly viable multiplatform friendly console they've put out since the GameCube. The Wii was severely underpowered so many multi-platform games skipped it altogether, or it got gimped ports that were outsourced to some random small studio. The Wii U bombed, so no wonder it wasn't prioritised.

If you only had a Wii and/or Wii U last gen then you unquestionably made the wrong choice if you wanted to keep up with the latest multi-platform titles. It's really that simple. I love my Vita, and would have loved for it to also get the Maxima content for World of Final Fantasy. But at the end of the day I understand why we're not getting it, but I've also never been under any delusion that a Vita would at any point have been the only system I would ever need to keep up with the latest and greatest.

Yea. So that why I can see the soundtrack at least coming to PS4/PC as paid DLC.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I enjoyed playing through the game last year. It's become one of my favorite games of all time. I'll gladly get it on the Switch for the portability.

I think a lot of people are just whining like gamers tend to. I have multiple copies of certain games if I enjoy it enough. And it's not like there wasn't strong rumor of a Switch version coming out for both Japan and the West, anyways. This announcement isn't a surprise for those who follow Dragon Quest games. If you get to play a game earlier than the "definitive/game of the year" edition, then that's the benefit of playing the first version. If you want to wait until later then the cost of the "definitive/game of the year" is the time it takes for the version to come out.

Soundtrack not being orchestrated? Definitely disappointing, but it wasn't that detrimental to my experience overall since everything else was stellar. It's nice the Switch gets this addition. Hopefully the PS4 version gets an update with that or even a definitive edition for itself.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty scummy to make new content exclusive to one platform forcing hardcore fans to double dip.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I mean I didn't specify Switch, just Nintendo in general. I don't think I need to list the countless times Nintendo has gotten a port of a game that was a shittier version than what was on the other platforms.

It's rare to see Nintendo get a multiplat that's the "best version".
Technically, Switch multiplats are always the most inferior for the obvious reasons. But there's no denying that this is the best version in term of content.

People who own a Switch knows it better that you shouldn't expect good visuals for Switch games. Switch's hybridness is all that matters.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
But we all knew the Switch version is coming later. Do you expect this version to not get any tweak or addition at all? Like this is par for course for a late release to another console. I don't think the criticism is so warranted

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
PC gamers brag about visuals and performance.
Console players crow about their exclusives.
Switch owners harp on portable play.

To play a game or enjoy a feature means to purchase the platform that offers it, that's the reality. Even content that could be offered on all platforms can be subject to financial considerations.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So we all knew the Switch version is coming later. Do you expect this version to not get any tweak or addition at all? Like this is par for course for a late release to another console. I don't think the criticism is s warranted

It really isn't though. I'd argue a good 75 percent at least of late ports, particularly on Switch, don't have new additions. And the handful that do (typically indie games) tend to backport their features.

Most of the unique content found in late ports this gen was due to things like Microsoft's ill advised (and much maligned) parity policy forcing exclusive content (and again, a lot of that was backported).

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I learnt not to buy Square Enix games at launch after they released Dissidia 012 like a year after the original one. You have nobody but yourselves to blame for this.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I should honestly boycot Square Enix for life.

So glad I didn't buy KH3 in retrospect.

Massive disrespect for not including orchestral music from day 1 with PS4.

They are doing it on purpose to sell the game twice.

Fuck you I am not buying a switch nor any of your games for a long while.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
PC gamers brag about visuals and performance.
Console players crow about their exclusives.
Switch owners harp on portable play.

To play a game or enjoy a feature means to purchase the platform that offers it, that's the reality. Even content that could be offered on all platforms can be subject to financial considerations.
True but people also don't have to support what they are doing.

They sold me like 9 different copies of FFX because how they treated the re-releases never felt scummy. I even bought the PS3 and Vita versions simultaneously. They didn't come out with a Wii U version 6 months later with a bunch of exclusive stuff though.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I bought it for pc not that long ago so I'm kinda pissed tbh. They should make it a dlc for pc.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pissed because I'm literally at the end of act 2 on PS4. I'm finishing this act here, but do I keep on afterwards? Or do I wait for the "additional story"

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Not only was the PS4/PC release not ever claimed to be the final incarnation of the game, it was explicitly stated not to be, long before anyone bought it, and people are still upset about being "slapped in the face" or whatever.
It feels like getting mad that a console you bought won't add "X" feature. It's like...you agreed to purchase the product without that feature; you have zero leverage now and you've already shown through your purchase that you were willing to compromise on the lack of that feature. Maybe people shouldn't buy things if they wanted to send a message is all I'm saying.

Jan 11, 2018
Agreed. If publishers can see what makes consumers unhappy that can influence their decisions in the future. Hopefully.

It feels like getting mad that a console you bought won't add "X" feature. It's like...you agreed to purchase the product without that feature; you have zero leverage now and you've already shown through your purchase that you were willing to compromise on the lack of that feature. Maybe people shouldn't buy things if they wanted to send a message is all I'm saying.

It's not that simple in a case like this.

In the eyes of Square Enix, people not buying the PS4 version based on hearing the late Switch port will feature more and exclusive content doesn't translate into "we want release date and content parity next time", but rather "we don't want Dragon Quest on PS4, so just focus on Switch next time".

And this goes for any game that is not guaranteed to sell a ton of copies on day one regardless.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
True but people also don't have to support what they are doing.

They sold me like 9 different copies of FFX because how they treated the re-releases never felt scummy. I even bought the PS3 and Vita versions simultaneously. They didn't come out with a Wii U version 6 months later with a bunch of exclusive stuff though.

Dragon Quest Xi released in July 2017.