• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
It feels as if sentiment around this forum and elsewhere is consistently negative toward Nintendo's continued support of the 3DS. The Luigi's Mansion and Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story threads were rife with calls of "why not Switch?" and any such variation, alongside "when will Nintendo let the 3DS die?"

All I ask is why? Why can't Nintendo continue to support the 3DS alongside the Switch? It's not like it takes anything away from the Switch's stacked library and continued success for Nintendo to continue supporting their very successful handheld in continuation.

Furthermore, it's not like Nintendo hasn't supported their consoles well into the life of a successor. For example:

Kirby%27s_Adventure_Coverart.png

Kirby's Adventure came out on the NES! Yes, the NES. This was years after the SNES had released.

Or how about Fire Emblem: Thracia 776? I mean, the Gamecube was a year away from release when this game was released on the SNES.

These examples are singular, perhaps, but I just don't understand the rush to kill the 3DS. Yes, the Switch is far more powerful as a handheld. Yes, the 3DS has had a long, healthy life. But Nintendo clearly sees reason to continue supporting it, and the system is certainly no Wii U case. And this is purely speculative, but perhaps Nintendo is shy about making the Switch the sole focus given their history of handheld/home console in tandem.

But this is a friendly discussion, so please, let me and us know why you want the 3DS to stop being in focus for Nintendo.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I'm right there with you, but I can certainly understand why people want Nintendo to devote 100% of it resources to the Switch.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because i'm tired of games i'd potentially want releasing on that old ass platform instead of the shiny new one i bought that's also a handheld

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
It's old, spec wise it was a joke even when it was released, and lastly the whole thing with the Switch was supposedly that all of their teams would be focused on one platform. I feel like the last year or so of software on it was shit that would have been better served on the Switch.

Mario

Alt-Account.
Oct 26, 2017
Wrong section.But to answer your question, it's because the 3Ds came out 7 years ago and most people would rather have Nintendo work on new Switch titles.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Because every man put to work on a DS project, is one man less for a Switch project.

Oct 27, 2017
Sir or madam, i believe you have posted this in the wrong forum.

Notice how nobody is spamming stupid jokes and are acting like model citizens, gaming side.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 3ds hardware especially the screen is terrible for 2018.

Maybe this all wouldn't be an issue if everything on the 3ds was also on the Switch, but that's not the case.

So it's just sucking up developer resources for a platform I had fun with, but I'm ready to move on from (especially that screen).

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Because for a long time it's been fairly well established that Nintendo can't, or isn't really willing, to support multiple platforms at the same time.

Kirby's Adventure is more or less an anomaly and if a Kirby's Adventure scenario happened with any later system the game probably would have been shelved or pushed to the next generation system (see: Star Fox 2)

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose the mindset is that the Switch needs all the games it can get, or perhaps that these games are wasted on the 3DS. I love my N3DS, so I don't care too much if a game on there isn't on my Switch. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want an HD remake of Luigi's Mansion. 3D Luigi's Mansion like it was supposed to be played I'll settle for though.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Because after playing games on the switch it's hard going back to the 3DS shitty screen, it is 7 years old now and the screen was shit even at launch .

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it has an atrocious resolution screen that wasn't even good for 2011 never mind 2018. It's on par with the GameCube in terms of power but the 240p screen makes games look much worse than they did on the GameCube.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I want all of their resources put into one machine. Not to mention the 3DS hardware is outdated as hell. It made sense to support the 3DS when the Switch initially came out, just to hedge their bets, but the Switch has been successful. Leave the 3DS behind, please

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Because the 3ds sucks and it sucked since 2011.
It doesn't deserve even a low budget project which are things that Switch needs badly.

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's a bad console, it even was on release. Games just look ugly on that thing. The controls are bad as well. It still had great games despite that, but I though we left the bad times behind when Switch came.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully expecting the new Pokemon to be on 3DS at this rate.
I don't honestly mind. The 3DS has insane legs and i'm hyped for WarioWare.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Because as someone who owns a switch, the switch needs more games, and it makes sense to retire a year old piece of hardware and focus on putting games on the new one?

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Teams are so much larger and scope is so much bigger these days. I'm not sure you can reasonably expect a game of similar status these days without drawing considerable resources.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is not that they can't, but imagine a console with nintendo full power first power all mixed in one.

We are like 90% there

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
There is 100% zero reason for any of the titles mentioned in the OP or any future 3DS titles to not be cross-generation titles. No one would care (actually many 'angry' parties now would probably applaud) if all of these games were multiplatform, locking them onto old hardware with the nebulous promise of a port 3-5 years down the line isn't all that exciting for anyone who is an early adopter.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully expecting the new Pokemon to be on 3DS at this rate.
I don't honestly mind. The 3DS has insane legs and i'm hyped for WarioWare.
USUM were confirmed by Game Freak to be the last Pokemon games on the 3DS. The only support the 3DS gets nowadays are ports, compilations and a couple of small titles from external studios. I can't remember the last time EPD made a 3DS game.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I love the 3DS. It's one of my favorite systems ever.

But 3DS was already dated tech when it hit the market. The resolution is incredibly low by today's standards. The various limitations also severely hamper development scope. It's time to put the system to rest except for hobbyists (which includes me). Going forward all significant resources should go into Switch development.

However I feel like that's already the case. Nintendo's 3DS trickle release is really not that significant in the grand scheme. I'm wondering if it's also a way to keep some of their more technically limited/challenged teams productive while they retrain for Switch development.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The 3DS was released in 2011. In that time period, it had a myriad of excellent titles released for it, and has existed during the life of 3 major Nintendo home consoles (Wii, Wii U, and now Switch). As a portable solution for gaming, even the Vita couldn't stand up to it, despite being a wonderful system with one of the prettiest screens to ever grace a game console. Nintendo has taken a major step in combining both portable and home console experiences into the Switch, and as a portable-friendly device, should take priority over their prior system. Outside of tech specs, the 3DS has essentially exhausted it's resources, and Nintendo has clearly shifted focus towards Switch title development.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch can more or less serve the same purpose as the 2DS/3DS at this point and do it better with higher quality games as well.

In short the DS is basically outdated

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of people are new to the Nintendo ecosystem due to the Switch and they want everything on that platform.

However, even as someone who loves my 3DS, I would also appreciate more cross 3DS/Switch support. The Switch UI makes it so damn easy to get into a game, and is so snappy, that the 3DS is starting to show it's age a bit.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby's Adventure is a terrible example because that game runs like shit and would have been much better on SNES.

People want the 3DS to be abandoned because there's no point for games to be released on it now that we have the Switch.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Some people incorrectly believe that fully abandoning the 3DS would somehow lead to these new 3DS games existing on Switch instead.

We're talking about remakes using existing handheld engines and mini-game collections.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
why put out shit on the old shit when they could put out shit on the new shit

and don't say sales, that giant install base that is 10x bigger than switch isn't buying 10x the games. a multiplatform game would sell better on switch than it would on 3ds at this point.

at LEAST put those games out on both platforms. a 3ds exclusive in 2019 is laughable.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Because the whole appeal of the Switch to me isn't it's hybrid handheld/home console design. It's appeal for me is that Nintendo can finally combine all their dev teams and resources to work on a singular system.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love my new 2DS XL, I'm happy it will be supported for the next couple years as I'm waiting for the Switch revision (whenever it comes)

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why put out shit on the old shit when they could put out shit on the new shit

and don't say sales, that giant install base that is 10x bigger than switch isn't buying 10x the games. a multiplatform game would sell better on switch than it would on 3ds at this point.

at LEAST put those games out on both platforms. a 3ds exclusive in 2019 is laughable.

Yep let the 3DS die already.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Because the Switch make the 3DS pointless.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Because that means less Switch games. And they need to support that system. I have been disappointed this year after an outstanding first year. I guess people who didn't have a Wii U are happy with ports like Tropical Freeze, but I had one. Don't waste resources.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There is 100% zero reason for any of the titles mentioned in the OP or any future 3DS titles to not be cross-generation titles.

This is just false. If there was "zero reason," they would do it. Of course there are reasons.

Such as manpower and budget. You don't just press a button and have a game exist on two consoles. And if they were to put the Luigi's Mansion remake on both consoles, it would rightfully be expected to look better than a 3DS game.

If Bowser's Inside Story were on Switch as well, it would also be expected to look better than it does. Even if it looked identical on both consoles, that's still more money put into the production and more man power than if it were just on 3DS.

I mean, that game wouldn't even exist otherwise. It exists because there is already a 3DS M&L remake to pull from.

I understand why it bothers some people. But saying there is "zero reason" not to have these games on both consoles is unquestionably false. That's not how game development works.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wrong forum however... those studios could be putting better use to a system that brings their visions to life with better capabilities, still under Nintendo's creative umbrella
I don't want a game they make potentially only to be on a system I just don't want to play on anymore... lately, the Luigi's Mansion remake is one

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I can't go back to the 3DS screen after playing the Switch, so I'd rather they move development to Switch fully.

I'd have bought so many recent and upcoming 3DS games if they were on Switch.