• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
It's kind of funny because of how popular the new "retro" games are now. People won't want 3DS support until it's a retro console and then when some indie dev releases a "new" 3DS game people will flip out and spend a ton of money on it.

I just got a 3ds a week or so ago and I like it. I'll be diving into it's catalog for years to come.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Because my eyes deserve better than a 240p screen. And I don't see a reason to carry my 3DS around when I have a much nicer Switch.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once the switch releases a right joy con that has the analog stick in a position that doesn't make my thumb throb in pain then I'll retire my 3ds and switch. Until then the more 3ds games the better

Oct 28, 2017
That 240p screen is a tragedy

Actually my 2DS XL is my favorite way to play SNES games for that reason. Native resolution or close beats any sort of upscaling I can find.

I am just sad that the 3DS SNES Virtual Console is so limited. I might end up hacking the system just to get my legitimately ripped roms on it.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't play portables, but the 3DS has a lot of games I'd love to play(RPGs like SMT games, DQ7 remake, etc), so I look at it like this: the faster Nintendo drops the 3DS, the faster the Switch gets games like the 3DS has been getting over the years, and I can play them on the TV.

Optimator

May 5, 2018
Alabama
I don't play portables, but the 3DS has a lot of games I'd love to play(RPGs like SMT games, DQ7 remake, etc), so I look at it like this: the faster Nintendo drops the 3DS, the faster the Switch gets games like the 3DS has been getting over the years, and I can play them on the TV.

This x 1000.

Why those who are in favor of the 3DS continuing to get games don't see this, I don't know. And I wouldn't care at all if the 3DS continued to get games if Nintendo had a clearly communicated porting strategy for bringing games like Samus Returns to Switch.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
For me, it's just a matter of the big gulf between the quality of Switch visuals versus the 3DS. All else being equal, I'd rather spend hours looking at the Switch's screen to play any given game than the screens on the 3DS.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Actually my 2DS XL is my favorite way to play SNES games for that reason. Native resolution or close beats any sort of upscaling I can find.

I am just sad that the 3DS SNES Virtual Console is so limited. I might end up hacking the system just to get my legitimately ripped roms on it.
Pretty sure 240p is below the SNES resolution for most games.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
It's a complete fantasy that games like Radiant Historia, Alliance Alive, Detective Pikachu, Shin Megami Tensei SJR, Wario Ware Gold or any of the upcoming 3DS exclusives would have suddenly appeared on the Switch if they weren't on 3DS.

Wishing the death of 3DS then sounds more like wishing those games didn't even exist at all, just out of some misguided spite that 3DS is still getting games.

Nintendo doesn't have a Wii or DS anymore, that's why.
Shrug. Maybe they would have been Switch games if the 3DS was retired. We'll never know for sure and it doesn't matter, cause they're not. I never said I wished those games didn't exist. They might as well not exist for me and that's okay. I feel no spite. Nintendo can release games on the Switch and have some chance of me purchasing them or release them on the 3DS where I've no chance of purchasing them. There's a ton of other games out there to spend money on, so getting mad about the 3DS still being alive is silly. I am eager for it to die because I think that'll mean more support for the Switch. Dunno if that's actually true.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like this would have been less of an issue if it was possible to be making switch games that were also released scaled down for 3ds. Right now though, it seems like people are either making games for 3DS or Switch. One of the big selling points of the switch was the idea of a unified platform but how long will it take to actually get one. Also, I'm curious about how long the switch going to last and how long will it receive full focus by first and third party devs? Guessing we will see shorter console cycles by MS and Sony for home systems but I'm not hoping for that with Switch if it means untapped potential.

Kenpachii

Banned
Mar 23, 2018
It's kind of funny because of how popular the new "retro" games are now. People won't want 3DS support until it's a retro console and then when some indie dev releases a "new" 3DS game people will flip out and spend a ton of money on it.

I just got a 3ds a week or so ago and I like it. I'll be diving into it's catalog for years to come.

I wish the switch had a 3DS + DS cartridge slot that upscales resolution of all those games through a emulator on the Switch. Would make the library of the switch a lot more interesting.

Kenpachii

Banned
Mar 23, 2018

Native resolution in my opinion is garbage. Sure some games on some platforms it's doable but 240p for a 3D enviroment game is just to low you lose a lot of detail. And alot of detail specially in moving pictures get completely destroyed in a tornado of unstable output.

Here are good examples:

b9b8e3861c9658ae63dc5602d28f4a62.png

f866f585660ccae3ba89d165179f7a33.png

Here is what i mean in motion:

https://i.gyazo.com/5dc71bad625104392fdae6bafe7a51cc.mp4

3DS and DS emulator with upscale resolution on switch would be godly.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Native resolution in my opinion is garbage. Sure some games on some platforms it's doable but 240p for a 3D enviroment game is just to low you lose a lot of detail. And alot of detail specially in moving pictures get completely destroyed in a tornado of unstable output.

Here are good examples:

Surprise surprise you're upscaling lower resolution content onto a higher resolution display, no duh it looks like garbage in your examples.

New_Guy

Banned
May 11, 2018
Don't bother. This is a guy who thinks anyone with complaints about the 3DS is pushing a "narrative" rather than expressing opinions. He's not here to discuss this in good faith.
As opposed to people who believe that killing the 3DS would mean they would get every game on the Switch that is coming or has come to the 3DS since the Switch release. People who believe a 3DS game can be ported to the Switch quickly and easily ignoring the second screen on the 3DS and knowing they won't be satisfied with 3DS graphics upscale to 720p.

These are people arguing in good faith? To me, complaining that a company is still supporting it's product is indefensible. It's like people are jealous of the 3DS.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017

Here are good examples:

Holy fucking shit I had no idea the assets would even be high enough resolution to work this well haha.

Surprise surprise you're upscaling lower resolution content onto a higher resolution display, no duh it looks like garbage in your examples.
You're 100% right, but the point of that comparison is to show the detail loss. Not to say "this looks better side by side".

Oct 27, 2017
Just the screens. The screens were sub-PSP quality when 3DS came out and it's 13 years since the psp launched. It's absolutely fucking ridiculous. I feel like they almost have to go out of their way to get screens this bad at this point.
If it had nice screens, i wouldnt feel very strongly about then sticking with or abandoning it, though id lean towards the latter

Thank god for Citra.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
You can only move as fast as the slowest member of the group, and unless they're looking to do another 3DS refresh any of the titles that come out for it at this point feel wasted due to the platform's shrinking audience and limited capabilities when compared to the Switch's handheld offering. It would have been nice if the Switch came with a 3DS cartridge reader of some sorts so it could extend it's lifetime a bit more, but its been 7 years. Time to move on to the next gen!

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, so that's settled, let's move onto other reasons that the 3DS still exists, such as price point.
Okay. But the OP posits the question: "Why are people so eager for Nintendo to abandon the 3DS?" That post provides one reason.

You seem perturbed by that post's existence, and I honestly don't understand why.

I literally do not give two shits about why the 3DS still exists. I want it gone because I don't want to use it ever again.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Okay. But the OP posits the question: "Why are people so eager for Nintendo to abandon the 3DS?" That post provides one reason.

You seem perturbed by that post's existence, and I honestly don't understand why.

I literally do not give two shits about why the 3DS still exists. I want it gone because I don't want to use it ever again.

I can understand why folks want to never use the 3DS again, but it serves its purpose in Nintendo's hardware lineup, and it's not a smart business decision for Nintendo dump it right now. What you want and reality don't necessarily line up.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why so eager? Is this a troll thread? It's 7 years old. It was outdated the day it released and it's even more outdated now. Every game that releases on it would look and play a million times better on Switch. They should be putting 100% focus on Switch, not splitting their customer base. Trying to support two different handhelds is just dumb, especially when one is 7 years old and neither can share content. If anything, Nintendo should release an affordable mini Switch to help get Switch in even more hands.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
1. One less system to lug around and keep charged
2. Resources squandered on 3DS dev rather than Switch
3. The Switch is more comfortable to me and the power/resolution makes going back to the 3DS tough

I'm done with the 3DS, its old and and I'm ready to pack it away for long term storage.

kdillman

May 12, 2018
I think people want Ninty to focus on the Switch or perhaps another project if/when the 3DS is sunset. Maybe even have devs putting out quality 3DS titles be able to focus on Switch games and/or ports.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just the screens. The screens were sub-PSP quality when 3DS came out and it's 13 years since the psp launched. It's absolutely fucking ridiculous. I feel like they almost have to go out of their way to get screens this bad at this point.
If it had nice screens, i wouldnt feel very strongly about then sticking with or abandoning it, though id lean towards the latter

Thank god for Citra.

Yeah, the 3D was an unnecessary gimick and I would give it up for an increase in resolution. It also doesn't help that it was absent for most of the pokemon games, only used in a cave and credits on XY.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Because we would like to play more than SMO, BotW, MK8D, and Splatoon 2 on our new $300 devices with nice, large, high-resolution screens rather than on a small 7-year-old device with a screen the size of a postage stamp.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty simple OP, the sooner all development for 3DS is over the more ga.es will come out for the Switch.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Because we would like to play more than SMO, BotW, MK8D, and Splatoon 2 on our new $300 devices with nice, large, high-resolution screens rather than on a small 7-year-old device with a screen the size of a postage stamp.
Making Switch games costs money. If only Nintendo could find a way to make more money without having to invest a lot of resources.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every version of the 3ds has horrid ergonomics except for the 2ds, which has its own host of issues. I just hate physically holding them. I'm a HUGE Metroid fan and I still haven't played the 3ds game because I am that committed to never holding one of those systems again. The 3ds XL in particular feels like it was purposefully designed to give you nerve damage. Now that I have a Switch that is portable and has better control options I just want to be able to play all of Nintendo's new games there.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, I think it DOES take away from the Switch' library. All the developers and resources spent supporting the 3DS could be going towards Switch exclusives making it sell even better. Why would you want a new top down Zelda on old 3DS hardware when you could get that on the Switch? Why wouldn't you want to use the Switch' power to really make Samus Returns and Luigi's Mansion really shine? All these little games could be even better and give us Switch owners even more Nintendo 1st party games to play. If Nintendo then wanted to port down to the 3DS to get some of that install base money that's fine. But they have a chance to sell even more Switches as long as they give us the games yet the 1st half of 2018 is underwhelming and could be so much better had they put these 3DS games on the Switch instead. This is just more evidence that Nintendo has awful business sense. They squander their amazing IP and developer might so much. It's a testament to that IP that they can sustain success despite all the bone-headed decisions they make that hurt themselves.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in using my 3DS and would rather all of Ninty's resources go into new (not ports, not sequels, not cardboard, new IP) Switch content

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why folks want to never use the 3DS again, but it serves its purpose in Nintendo's hardware lineup, and it's not a smart business decision for Nintendo dump it right now. What you want and reality don't necessarily line up.
Sure, but that's not what the question is. Hence...

And that's pretty much it. Glad this thread has been solved.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Every version of the 3ds has horrid ergonomics except for the 2ds, which has its own host of issues. I just hate physically holding them. I'm a HUGE Metroid fan and I still haven't played the 3ds game because I am that committed to never holding one of those systems again. The 3ds XL in particular feels like it was purposefully designed to give you nerve damage. Now that I have a Switch that is portable and has better control options I just want to be able to play all of Nintendo's new games there.
Samus Returns is amazing, though!