• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
Let me start by saying this, I can understand when games have religious fanatics as enemies. However almost all AAA games I've played (that had religious groups) have portrayed those religious groups in negative connotations. Like tlou2 and far cry 5. In games like horizon zero dawn while they are not shown as violent people, they are mostly shown as dumb and rigid people who are blindly doing things.

Again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't have religious fanatics as villains, what I am saying is that most games portray them in a bad light. Like i can't think of many games where the protagonist was a devout religious guy. There are over 6 bn religious people out there and obviously all of them are not fanatics.

Edit:
I guess I need to add something here. As pointed out that there are over 6bn religious people out there, Most of them are peace loving people that respect humanity like anyone amongst us. Point is that not every religious follower is an extremist. Otherwise this world would have been a living hell.

Also, some people are saying that religion is the cause of violence. That is utterly wrong. Yes conflicts were caused by religious differences however to say that all problems can be attributed to someone's religion is wrong. There are many conflicts where we ignore all factors and blame it on religion, which is also quite wrong. Conflicts aren't always as simple as "they different religion, kill them" Many problems have multiple reasonings. Like take the taliban. They were created by US in operation cyclone. Listen to this Jimmy Carter speech and you'll know how america used the religion card to drive out the USSR to protect their influence and oil supplies. What i am trying to say is that things aren't one dimensional.

Most importantly, I am asking why is it that religious people are almost never depicted in good light. It's okay to have religious people as villains, but why don't we have religious protagonists? I mean think about it, 6bn religious people and no one is good? that's plain wrong.

PLEASE
I am not saying that all religious folk are good, I am not even saying that the themes portrayed in the games are not plausible. Yes there are religious people who do wrong but majority of religious people are not like them. I mean the british empire committed some of the worst crimes in known history but they did not do it out of religion, moreover you don't blame modern English people for the crimes the empire committed. What this thread is spiralling out into is that say one American soldier killed a civilian in Afghanistan, then all Americans are evil. This is WRONG! You can not attribute the actions of few to a whole population.

I am saying this again, It's okay to show cults and fanatics. But all I'm asking is why dont we have religious protagonists?

Last edited:

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
History has shown us that a lot of the times, large scale violence and atrocities against others are motivated for religious reasons. That doesn't mean all religious people are violent lunatics, it means that most violent lunatics turn out to be religious. Is it really surprising it plays out that way in games too?

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
Because next to money and oil. Religion is one of the biggest conflict makers in the world. So the premise of religion as the setting for the conflict is easy.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The term "religious fanatics" should explain it enough.
Also look in human history and how people in power, that includes religions, used that and how even today these "religious fanatics" harass and abuse everyone not being one of their own. They are called fanatics for a good reason

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Religions are responsible for a lot of bad stuff in this world especially the US where a lot of games come from. Creators like to reflect that in their art.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I can think of numerous JRPGs with churches and nice religious NPCs, though they're usually religions made up for the game world itself.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I think in a lot of cases you're seeing extremists who are religious, not necessarily that developer's portrayal of religion.

This goes hand in hand with why you don't see game characters eat or pee, we don't know their religious beliefs most of the time unless it's directly plot relevant

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not exclusive to religion.

Look at any kind of news and you'll see people mostly ignoring the good/neutral parts and go all in on the bad and ugly.

Hell, even between people it's too often the case that it's about what people did wrong and not about the good they did.

Apr 25, 2020
This stuff isn't just dreamt up in a vacuum. Maybe religions are depicted as violent because they have a history of violence.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
It's an easy enemy, I think. Religion has caused a lot of shit throughout time because of fanaticism and religious fanatics make good enemies. They're unreasonable, unwavering, and usually violent to any who oppose their beliefs.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it externalizes real life conflicts, whether they are literal or figurative. Most people deal with religion in one way or another, and they are extremely formative experiences.

It's also easier to portray (and that portrayal is often more personal than say, the examples suggested like just money and oil are).

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
We have a long history of committing atrocities in the name of God.

Sure we do kill for resources and other reasons, but those are 'logical'.

if you want people to go the extra mile, invoke God.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
even in tlou2 and far cry 5, religious people aren't entirely depicted as dumb and bad.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Cause normal religious people are not interesting I guess. You often have normal religious fols in games but they just mention from time to time they believe in some god and it's not a big part of their characters.

Eder from Pillars of Eternity is a good example of interesting religious person.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Let me start by saying this, I can understand when games have religious fanatics as enemies. However almost all AAA games I've played (that had religious groups) have portrayed those religious groups in negative connotations. Like tlou2 and far cry 5. In games like horizon zero dawn while they are not shown as violent people, they are mostly shown as dumb and rigid people who are blindly doing things.

Again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't have religious fanatics as villains, what I am saying is that most games portray them in a bad light. Like i can't think of many games where the protagonist was a devout religious guy. There are over 6 bn religious people out there and obviously all of them are not fanatics.

bolded: ac origins

there's also a supporting character in ac odyssey who is very religious and is depicted as a kind old man.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Because history show us time and time again that the two things are related

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Because videogames are made by hippies in California

But for a more serious reply, I guess it's an easy excuse to have a villain that's "unreasonably" evil.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Because people use religion to legitimize their hatred and violence.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not sure, but Joel gave me the kind of "religious" dude vibe. I might be wrong, but it seemed like he beieved in god. I'm not sure if Joel is a "positive" represantation of a religious guy though.

Other than that, i agree.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
They might not all be fanatical, but religion is one of if not the most common root of bigotry in our world. With developers being as diverse as they are, I think that makes them an easily agreed upon target.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
This thread might go places...

It depends on the games you're playing I suppose. Religious cults like the KKK exist, and religion has been a huge driving force for encouraging and justifying war throughout our history, so given that games typically revolve around violence in some manner I suppose you are inevitably going to see religious cults responsible for it in many of them. It's important to note that many games are equally clumsy about portraying entire countries as "bad guys", and also that there are many games that present religious elements in a positive light (chapels being places of peace and healing in older Final Fantasy games for example).

Eyad

Nov 17, 2020
As a religious person myself I find it dumb when even today's conflicts are said to be caused by religion. Religion is used as tool in these conflicts, but it is almost always not the cause. That is why I don't find it terrible when a villain in a video game is using religion as tool. However, I hate when a video game discusses topics such as belief and faith with contempt.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
There's plenty of normal religious people in games. The evil character are almost always in cults or institutional figures. That maps pretty well with real life too.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Religion has always just been an excuse for powerful people to make others do what they want in return for the promise of salvation. Whether it leads to the crusades and inquisitions of the past or the conmen pastors and bigotry of today, religion itself is the root cause of many of our problems over the millenia. It encourages ignorance and makes people draw lines that aren't there, so we'd be better off without it.

The belief in a higher power is one thing but religion, I feel, has only ever really existed to exploit that. In that sense, videogames just reflect the truth.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
And even more bad stuff in this world happens for non-religious reasons.
And there are also a lot of stuff that is portrayed as bad/evil.
Why are you assuming "non-religious things that lead to bad stuff" isn't being portrayed badly?

Edit:
It should go like this, right?
"X leads to bad stuff a lot, so X gets portrayed as being bad to some degree. Not all bad, but at least including a bad-portrayal"
So pollution for example; lets to bad stuff - should be portrayed as bad.
Or drugs.
Or alcohol. Drugs and alcohol has positive sides too; so some positive portrayal makes sense.
Then we have religion. Same applies here.

What's your argument, really?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
maybe because history books have shown that religon can get a little too comfortable with power and influence.
even today you see this

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I strongly believe religion is to be blamed for a lot of how the world works in not a good way. I respect people who choose to believe but it's not that much of a stretch in most game considering what religion did (The crusades, the dark age etc)

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
There are probably many good religious people in games, but they don't tell you that. Fanatics are more likely to wear their religion on their sleeve.

Dragon Quest has religion as a benign force mostly. After all, they heal you for free. Kevin Graham from Trails is a good religious guy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.