• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Eh I just bought a new video card for my pc and kept my stock ps4. Don't own a 4k tv, refuse to pay for online and when i read downsampling was going to be iffy it made my decision pretty easy. Hope they get the downsampling situation taken care of.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
We agree on part of it - but my point was that opting out of down (or up) sampling requires extra steps, not the other way around.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly the same but similar, Elder Scrolls Online won't even give you 1080p enhanced mode features (reflective water and stuff) without hooking it up to a 4k tv. The only workaround is to connect your PS4 to remote play for some reason.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly the same but similar, Elder Scrolls Online won't even give you 1080p enhanced mode features (reflective water and stuff) without hooking it up to a 4k tv. The only workaround is to connect your PS4 to remote play for some reason.
This is the first time I've heard this. You're saying that if the Pro is hooked to a 1080p display, both modes are greyed out?

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I've heard this. You're saying that if the Pro is hooked to a 1080p display, both modes are greyed out?
At least for me (and many others in the ESO community, not sure if it's universal or not), it defaults to regular 1080p, OG PS4 settings and doesn't even show the option for 1080p enhanced or 4K in the menu.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The main explanation is that Sony did a poor job on the system level, where it's up to the individual piece of software to recognize the resolution of the monitor they outputting to and make adjustments based on that, this essentially means that every game that wants to do super sampling has to implement their own method to render at a higher resolution and scale down to 1080p. Sony had the same issues with the PS3 where the software had to be aware of what kind of screen they were outputting to 480p/720p/1080p, making some games run differently based on the output mode.

Microsoft did the smartest thing for everyone with the Xbox One X where all Xbox One X aware titles always output to a 3840x2160 frame buffer, regardless if the actual content is in 4K or outputting to a 4K monitor, making it super easy for developers to allow their games to benefit from super sampling(since the scaler in the console handles this).

While i have not developed for Xbox One X or Playstation 4, i have developed a rudimentary super sampling system for Unity and while it's not hard to make a naive implementation of it, it does require considerably more work to make a good down scaling of the super sampled content compared just adjusting some config files that allow the software to use the extra resources and allow for the internal scaler to take over.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
The main explanation is that Sony did a poor job on the system level, where it's up to the individual piece of software to recognize the resolution of the monitor they outputting to and make adjustments based on that, this essentially means that every game that wants to do super sampling has to implement their own method to render at a higher resolution and scale down to 1080p. Sony had the same issues with the PS3 where the software had to be aware of what kind of screen they were outputting to 480p/720p/1080p, making some games run differently based on the output mode.

Microsoft did the smartest thing for everyone with the Xbox One X where all Xbox One X aware titles always output to a 3840x2160 frame buffer, regardless if the actual content is in 4K or outputting to a 4K monitor, making it super easy for developers to allow their games to benefit from super sampling(since the scaler in the console handles this).

While i have not developed for Xbox One X or Playstation 4, i have developed a rudimentary super sampling system for Unity and while it's not hard to make a naive implementation of it, it does require considerably more work to make a good down scaling of the super sampled content compared just adjusting some config files that allow the software to use the extra resources and allow for the internal scaler to take over.
All PS4 games output at 4K when using a Pro hooked up to a 4K panel, so not seeing how that's different from what MS are doing.

I still firmly believe it's because there's nothing in the SDK yet to allow devs to render at any native resolution and have the PS Pro upscale/downscale as appropriate.

I imagine MS's approach will allow for < 4K upscaled to 4K and then down to 1080p. IMO I'm not convinced this is optimal.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
All PS4 games output at 4K when using a Pro hooked up to a 4K panel, so not seeing how that's different from what MS are doing.

I still firmly believe it's because there's nothing in the SDK yet to allow devs to render at any native resolution and have the PS Pro upscale/downscale as appropriate.

I imagine MS's approach will allow for < 4K upscaled to 4K and then down to 1080p. IMO I'm not convinced this is optimal.

Yes, of course the PS4 needs to output a standardized output image based on its configuration, I believe the PS3 is the only console that would switch it's output mode dependent on the software.

The difference here is that the One X from what I understand always run game software at 3840x2160 internally, where as the PS4 seems to have an internal resolution of either 1920x1080 or 3840x2160.

I do think Microsoft's solution is far better because it makes supporting 1080p monitors far easier and keeps the benefits by adding supersampling, and from what we have seen it has been a big issue that developers have to explicitly add a 1080p configuration.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea what supersampling/downsampling mean...

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Look, my favorite thread from the old forums.

I remember darkx10 swearing we were getting a a piece from DF.

We never did, and this still happens.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
The difference here is that the One X from what I understand always run game software at 3840x2160 internally, where as the PS4 seems to have an internal resolution of either 1920x1080 or 3840x2160.
This is incorrect. Both consoles run software at any resolution internally, across a very wide range. Both can output either 1080p or 2160p, which they can scale to if the game is running something else. (Xbox One X will receive an update in the future that will allow 1440p output as well.)

I have no idea what supersampling/downsampling mean...
They are (for this context) the same result, looked at from two directions. To start, games keep an internal, entirely mathematic description of their scenes. When it's time to make those scenes show up on a screen, they have to split up the immensely precise detail into the same number of pixels the screen has. This is done by sampling the scene: asking "at this point, what color is supposed to be there?" Each sample determines the color of a pixel. (In actuality, there are tons of subtleties and different techniques I'm ignoring, but that's the gist.)

If a game is rendering higher resolution than the screen it will be shown on, the image has to be shrunk. Downsampling is the process of turning many pixels into fewer. You sample, say, four adjacent pixels, and average them out to get one result, the single pixel that you're shrinking to. This creates very smooth transitions from one color to another for all the detail onscreen. That results in less shimmer and fewer jaggies for the smaller size, while still keeping maximum detail.

In reality, a game may not be rendering big and then shrinking. Rather, it might only create the small image, but instead of sampling once for each, it supersamples more--say, four times, averaging the values. The end result is the same as downsampling: smoother blends and fewer harsh edges.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
This is incorrect. Both consoles run software at any resolution internally, across a very wide range. Both can output either 1080p or 2160p, which they can scale to if the game is running something else. (Xbox One X will receive an update in the future that will allow 1440p output as well.)

They are (for this context) the same result, looked at from two directions. To start, games keep an internal, entirely mathematic description of their scenes. When it's time to make those scenes show up on a screen, they have to split up the immensely precise detail into the same number of pixels the screen has. This is done by sampling the scene: asking "at this point, what color is supposed to be there?" Each sample determines the color of a pixel. (In actuality, there are tons of subtleties and different techniques I'm ignoring, but that's the gist.)

If a game is rendering higher resolution than the screen it will be shown on, the image has to be shrunk. Downsampling is the process of turning many pixels into fewer. You sample, say, four adjacent pixels, and average them out to get one result, the single pixel that you're shrinking to. This creates very smooth transitions from one color to another for all the detail onscreen. That results in less shimmer and fewer jaggies for the smaller size, while still keeping maximum detail.

In reality, a game may not be rendering big and then shrinking. Rather, it might only create the small image, but instead of sampling once for each, it supersamples more--say, four times, averaging the values. The end result is the same as downsampling: smoother blends and fewer harsh edges.
Liabe, in your opinion would something like 1440p > 2160p > 1080p result in a cleaner image than a native 1080p image with decent AA?

Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
I imagine its something about the Japanese devs locking something out that should make it trivially easy for devs to implement so they don't implement it because it involves work and QA testing when if it was done by sony the devs would just have to check a button.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Is OnQ on this site? He kept promising how he was so certain a new OS level thing was coming and that was why TLoU wasn't updated at that time.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Liabe, in your opinion would something like 1440p > 2160p > 1080p result in a cleaner image than a native 1080p image with decent AA?
Depends what you mean by "cleaner", and what else the game is doing. Every scaling operation introduces blur. Upscaling adds more blur than downscaling. Blur is the same thing as AA, so adding more does make jaggies and shimmering go away. It also washes out small details and makes edges less distinct.

Each person tends to evaluate a different mix of smoothness and sharpness as the "right" or "most impressive" approach. So I can say that, all other things being equal, 1440p 》2160p 》1080p would result in a smoother, softer image than 1440p 》1080p. Whether that's "cleaner" is up to each viewer. Some--especially if the game is using other blur techniques, like TAA, CA, motion blur, etc.--might find it not "cleaner" but "muddier".

One thing that complicates this is that at higher display resolutions, games can achieve the same impression (whatever that is) with less built-in blur. That's because at typical viewing distances, pixels are very small and the viewer's eyes are blending them together more. On a 4K display a native 4K game with no AA at all can be an acceptable level of sharpness to folks who'd find a 1080p no AA game on a 1080p display bad-looking and jaggy.

Could someone post some 4K and 1080p comparison shots of Smite? It's by the same studio, maybe they've changed it as well.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Depends what you mean by "cleaner", and what else the game is doing. Every scaling operation introduces blur. Upscaling adds more blur than downscaling. Blur is the same thing as AA, so adding more does make jaggies and shimmering go away. It also washes out small details and makes edges less distinct.

Each person tends to evaluate a different mix of smoothness and sharpness as the "right" or "most impressive" approach. So I can say that, all other things being equal, 1440p 》2160p 》1080p would result in a smoother, softer image than 1440p 》1080p. Whether that's "cleaner" is up to each viewer. Some--especially if the game is using other blur techniques, like TAA, CA, motion blur, etc.--might find it not "cleaner" but "muddier".

One thing that complicates this is that at higher display resolutions, games can achieve the same impression (whatever that is) with less built-in blur. That's because at typical viewing distances, pixels are very small and the viewer's eyes are blending them together more. On a 4K display a native 4K game with no AA at all can be an acceptable level of sharpness to folks who'd find a 1080p no AA game on a 1080p display bad-looking and jaggy.

Could someone post some 4K and 1080p comparison shots of Smite? It's by the same studio, maybe they've changed it as well.
Thanks for your take and I think this supports the position Sony might have taken. An OS level downsample option might not always produce optimal results for 1080p displays due to the varying native resolutions in use.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd implement a system-level toggle that allows us to force downsampling. For games that also offer 1080p benefits, they should prompt us when booting it and less us choose the display mode of our choice.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
As mentioned before, that's not the case.

I imagine MS's approach will allow for < 4K upscaled to 4K and then down to 1080p.
And neither is this - the only exception would be games that implement their own 4k upscale.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying Sony's Pro SDK enables devs to render at any native resolution and then have the PS4 automatically upscale/downscale as appropriate?
IIRC the functionality is not tied to the Pro.
Although I'd suggest that "any" internal-resolution is likely not the case on "any" current device, PC or console (exception being VR, but in that case we're not dealing with 2d-scaling operations, so rules are different).

The evidence so far suggests all upscale/downscale is implemented by devs.
I'd ask "what evidence" - to date I've mostly seen people's own head-canon (in either direction).
Eg. we have games that shipped with SS out of the box only to disable it later (and at least one that returned it again, later yet) - I'd argue this demonstrates removing SS is a developer's choice, but you could construct arguments around it to suit whatever you want it to suit really.

Sniffynose

Oct 30, 2017
It's kind of ironic how now people finally see why I was pissed off about Sony's stupidity with the way Pro handles "not so Pro" games. I'm kinda jealous about the XBX tbh. If I snag one the Pro will turn into an exclusives machine and I'll get all my third party games on the X it would be nice leaving PS+ and it's shit tier network behind too lol

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The Outlast 2 info in the OP also needs to be updated. 1080p owners aren't left empty handed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-outlast-2-console-tech-analysis

According to a response to this article, the studio also expands on the PS4 Pro situation at 1080p. Regular 1080p users don't leave empty-handed on PS4 Pro; as a trade-off for the absence of downsampling, you can expect improved 8x anisotropic filtering, broader draw distances, and a doubling in shadow resolution quality. According to this follow-up, it states this has "a better impact on the final image than 4K downsamping" overall. An extra advantage of this mode is there's no dynamic resolution, fixing the pixel count at 1080p.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not, this is the biggest thing stopping me from buying the system. I don't play on a big 4k tv. I have one, but I prefer playing on a smaller 32 inch 1080p, especially multiplayer games.

Until this is fixed, I won't even consider purchasing the console. I know there are added benefits on a 1080p tv but downsampling seems like the biggest improvement.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Many of these are kind of understandable since they aren't being worked on anymore. But fucking Rocket League? One of the most popular games on the system that keeps getting updates? That is mind-boggling. If it wasn't filled with jaggies it wouldn't bother me, but it is. It is... Psyonix seems like a great developer, but they really need to get some heat for this shit.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
This is one of the reasons that makes me think the PRO is underdelivering. No actual 4k, not even checkerboard for most games, no 60fps for them and no supersampling....

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any sources if call of duty ww2 downsamples?

Digital Foundry did not make any mention of this in the PS4/XBX comparison, but it's the same engine as Infinite Warfare, which DF did confirm supports super sampling in it's Pro analysis from last year, so I would say odd's are likely downsampling is supported.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Does the XboneX have downsampling for every game, or is it the same situation as the Pro?

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does the XboneX have downsampling for every game, or is it the same situation as the Pro?

Every game that has enhancement patches for the Xbox one X will do auto super sampling on a 1080P screen. This is done on the hardware level and requires no further interaction from the Devs.

Also non patched games automatically get 16XAF applied to them which makes textures look alot better and makes the LOD seem higher and any games with varying resolutions or framerate will hit the highest peak possible for an un patched game and this will happen on a 4K screen or 1080P screen automatically.

Many automatic benefits for 1080P owners on the Xbox One X

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of my PS3 either only giving me 1080i and 480p (or sometimes, 480p only) because we only had a 480p/1080i TV back then. It was one of those things I liked so much about the xbox 360 then because our TV was terrible for 480p content.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Every game that has enhancement patches for the Xbox one X will do auto super sampling on a 1080P screen. This is done on the hardware level and requires no further interaction from the Devs.

Also non patched games automatically get 16XAF applied to them which makes textures look alot better and makes the LOD seem higher and any games with varying resolutions or framerate will hit the highest peak possible for an un patched game and this will happen on a 4K screen or 1080P screen automatically.

Many automatic benefits for 1080P owners on the Xbox One X
This makes Sony look super pathetic to be honest.
How long have they had now to implement a similar system?

But no, let's roll the dice and see if 1080p players get screwed.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
No it's not.
It's up to the Dev whether they will offer separate 1080p and 4k profiles based on console-video output selector (ie. no downsampling).

This is interesting, so games will downsample automatically. Makes me wonder why any developer would put in the extra work to not offer SS. The AC collection is a good example. Native 4K on a 4K screen but it renders at 1080p on a 1080p screen with no visual improvements over the same game on the OG PS4.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
If they let 1080p users select 4K as video resolution in system setttings wouldn't 1080p panels auto downscale/supersample the content? I imagine a solution can't be this simple but this is Sony lol.

I wonder if there is any way of fooling the PS4 to ourput in 4K on your 1080p screen.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
The Last Guardian is I think the only game where I either don't want downsampling to happen, or if it does, it needs to have an in-game toggle option. 1080p on Pro is the only way to have perfect 30fps. The framerate in 1080p on the base PS4 is dogshit, while the 4K mode on Pro still has drops too (not as bad). If the latter becomes the forced default for all Pro players, there goes the only way to play this game with ideal performance.

Sony really need to include some OS option to just enforce this like Nvidia DSR, and also include 1440p output like a certain other competitior's 4K machine does..

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
This makes Sony look super pathetic to be honest.
How long have they had now to implement a similar system?

But no, let's roll the dice and see if 1080p players get screwed.
For one, Sony does have a similar system (minus the 16xAF). Boosting of dynamic resolution, framerate, and other effects that scale with available resources happens on Pro. And downsampling is the default behavior.

It's not a dice roll, the developer has to intentionally offer a different mode for 1080p displays. In almost all cases, this means better framerates instead of downsampling. In some cases, like those listed in the OP, there are other benefits as well. If I recall correctly, there are only 3 games where there's no apparent benefit (though even for those it's possible very rare framerate problems are ironed out).

Of course, from a player perspective it'd be better if you could choose between such options, rather than being locked into one or the other based on your display. But it's definite hyperbole to say 1080p users get "screwed".

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Updated OP with Shadow of the Colossus. Can't watch the video right now, does it have 1080p benefits?

Did this too if people want to join me: