• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I dont want to sound stupid but is 2K the same as 1440P?

Google has that answer ready

Is 2k the same as 1440p?
For comparison, 4K is named for being almost 4000 pixels wide, or 3840 to be exact. 1080p is technically 2K, because it's 1920 pixels wide. What people are now calling 2K is 2560 pixels wide, which should be 2.5K, right? But maybe we should call it what it is, 1440p.

https://androidandme.com/thread/2560x1440-should-not-be-called-2k-its-far-better/

It's not 2K, it's higher.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it will still be very helpful to know when best to activate supersampling
We've had Supersampling activated in many games now, don't summarize the new feature like that, it confuses those that aren't that firm in these matters. It's more like a force supersampling switch.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
We've had Supersampling activated in many games now, don't summarize the new feature like that, it confuses those that aren't that firm in these matters. It's more like a force supersampling switch.

Anyone who is confused by anything I say can take it up directly with me. I doubt that anyone who actually read this thread's OP will find what I said confusing. I honestly have no idea why you're picking a bone here.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
It's because I've read so many comments wishing the PS4 Pro should finally get supersampling as if it didn't have that yet.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the hard work Vashetti.

Dishonored 2 looks incredible when supersampled.

Omegabalmung

Nov 4, 2017
Top one is without supersampling while the bottom is with supersampling turned on

mygreatcapturescreens8us6i.png

mygreatcapturescreensn7scn.png

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This is a very significant upgrade! But I had no idea Wipeout Omega Collection wasn't downsampling on Pro before. :(
It was and does. I don't think you understand what I'm showing here - took these 4K screenshots while in 1080p mode and "3840x2160 PNG" in the share settings.

Prior to this firmware, games that downsampled from 4K (like Wipeout Omega Collection) would turn out as a 1080p frame that was stretched to the 4K resolution screenshot setting.

This is no longer the case, as the screenshot capture happens prior to the PS4 Pro downsampling the image for your TV - a benefit of it being enabled at a system level.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
^^^Wow, definitely much sharper when zooming in. Not so much when the screenshot is scaled, but that may be my work monitor.

By the way, some people are not aware that 1440p is close to 2x the pixels in 1080p. I'm only saying this because some gamers think it's barely more than 1080p, and it's not the case. Supersampling on my PC from 1440p on my 1080p home monitor and TV is very noticeable.

720p = 1280 x 720 = 921600 (not even 1 megapixel)

1080p = 1920 x 1080 = 2073600 (over 2 megapixels, 2.25 times 720p)

1440p = 2560 x 1440 = 3686400 (almost 3.7 megapixels, 1.78 times 1080p or 4 times 720p)

2160p = 3840 x 2160 = 8294400 (over 8 megapixels, 4 times 1080p or 2.25 times 1440p)

1440p is still a significant upgrade over 1080p, and some people think it shouldn't be. 2160p is way higher, and these checkerboarded resolutions that go beyond 1440p look really great for the most part.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
^^^Wow, definitely much sharper when zooming in. Not so much when the screenshot is scaled, but that may be my work monitor.

By the way, some people are not aware that 1440p is close to 2x the pixels in 1080p. I'm only saying this because some gamers think it's barely more than 1080p, and it's not the case. Supersampling on my PC from 1440p on my 1080p home monitor and TV is very noticeable.

720p = 1280 x 720 = 921600 (not even 1 megapixel)

1080p = 1920 x 1080 = 2073600 (over 2 megapixels, 2.25 times 720p)

1440p = 2560 x 1440 = 3686400 (almost 3.7 megapixels, 1.78 times 1080p or 4 times 720p)

2160p = 3840 x 2160 = 8294400 (over 8 megapixels, 4 times 1080p or 2.25 times 1440p)

1440p is still a significant upgrade over 1080p, and some people think it shouldn't be. 2160p is way higher, and these checkerboarded resolutions that go beyond 1440p look really great for the most part.
When a lot of people continue to repeat the narrative that 1440p is not enough sharp compared the higher res, it's obvious the most will follow.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
It was and does. I don't think you understand what I'm showing here - took these 4K screenshots while in 1080p mode and "3840x2160 PNG" in the share settings.

Prior to this firmware, games that downsampled from 4K (like Wipeout Omega Collection) would turn out as a 1080p frame that was stretched to the 4K resolution screenshot setting.

This is no longer the case, as the screenshot capture happens prior to the PS4 Pro downsampling the image for your TV - a benefit of it being enabled at a system level.

This is great news!

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Evil within 2, what res did it have when using 4K tv? Cause I know for 1080p users they only had unlocked frame rate

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Regarding the supersampling option in 5.50, I noticed that it seems to negatively impact performance for some games where it probably should not.

Unfortunately I don't have any equipment to test, but here's what I've noticed over the past couple of weeks:

Grand Theft Auto V (Online Mode) - Suffers from hitching or stuttering. This already happened before, even with Boost Mode enabled, but the issue seems worse now with supersampling enabled. Disable supersampling and the game returns its previous performance. I found this odd, considering that GTA V does not support resolutions over 1080p on current gen consoles.

Gravity Rush 2 - This one surprised me, as GR2 supposedly already supported supersampling. I hadn't played the game since the update to 5.50. I decided to complete some treasure hunts and challenges. The game felt more sluggish than usual and I ran into what seemed like frame pacing issues in certain areas. Most notable were the forested areas with complex geometry. Texture pop in also seemed worse. The fan throttled up indicating that the the PS4 Pro was working harder. I disabled supersampling and everything returned to normal. The fan speed was quiet, controls were more responsive, and the frame rate returned to its relatively rock solid 30fps.

As I said, I don't have the equipment to test, but it might be worth checking into.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the supersampling option in 5.50, I noticed that it seems to negatively impact performance for some games where it probably should not.

Unfortunately I don't have any equipment to test, but here's what I've noticed over the past couple of weeks:

Grand Theft Auto V (Online Mode) - Suffers from hitching or stuttering. This already happened before, even with Boost Mode enabled, but the issue seems worse now with supersampling enabled. Disable supersampling and the game returns its previous performance. I found this odd, considering that GTA V does not support resolutions over 1080p on current gen consoles.

Gravity Rush 2 - This one surprised me, as GR2 supposedly already supported supersampling. I hadn't played the game since the update to 5.50. I decided to complete some treasure hunts and challenges. The game felt more sluggish than usual and I ran into what seemed like frame pacing issues in certain areas. Most notably were the forested areas with complex geometry. Texture pop in also seemed worse. The fan throttled up indicating that the the PS4 Pro was working harder. I disabled supersampling and everything returned to normal. The fan speed was quiet, controls were more responsive, and the frame rate returned to its relatively rock solid 30fps.

As I said, I don't have the equipment to test, but it might be worth checking into.

Hmm, that's weird. Can't say I've noticed anything myself. Will keep an eye out though.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3's latest 1.61 patch (addition of HDR) has for some reason removed the developer implemented supersampling, and added some very bizarre performance issues

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3's latest 1.61 patch (addition of HDR) has for some reason removed the developer implemented supersampling,
I suppose they thought with the new system setting they can utilize this to add a "performance mode" without ultimately taking choice away. It still is preferable to set everything inside the game itself, though, obviously.
and added some very bizarre performance issues
Huh? Saw that video, and the new patch is on par or slightly better at 4K compared to 1.51, and just about locked 30 at 1080p through any scenario.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
So now that the PS4 pro has systemwide downsampling:
- is it the same , worse or better than when devs do this?
- how well does it work for games like The Last Guardian and Dishonored 2?
- If a game already has Downsampling (for instance Titanfall 2), will it be extra sharp or will the systemwide downsampling make no difference (or will it even cause something negative)?

Thanx...

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
So now that the PS4 pro has systemwide downsampling:
- is it the same , worse or better than when devs do this? (1)
- how well does it work for games like The Last Guardian and Dishonored 2? (2)
- If a game already has Downsampling (for instance Titanfall 2), will it be extra sharp or will the systemwide downsampling make no difference (or will it even cause something negative)? (3)

Thanx...

1. It's supposedly the same, though Tyaren and me believe Digital Foundry's analysis shows that Sony's implementation is blurrier than if developers implemented it themselves.
2. In regards to The Last Guardian, the game performs worse with it on, because you're forcing the 4K mode to run. Not sure what you're asking with Dishonored 2, that game has one performance profile, it runs the same.
3. If the game already supersamples, Sony's systemwide implementation doesn't override it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
1. It's supposedly the same, though Tyaren and me believe Digital Foundry's analysis shows that Sony's implementation is blurrier than if developers implemented it themselves.
2. In regards to The Last Guardian, the game performs worse with it on, because you're forcing the 4K mode to run. Not sure what you're asking with Dishonored 2, that game has one performance profile, it runs the same.
3. If the game already supersamples, Sony's systemwide implementation doesn't override it.
Thanx. Dishonered is just 1080P? Ah...

Thanx a lot!

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Updated OP with the following titles:

Attack on Titan 2
FIFA 17
FIFA 18
MLB The Show 18
Monster Energy Supercross

Thanks as always to the wonderful Liabe Brave for his great thread

All games with PS4 Pro enhancements

As I've said before, we can now force supersampling, but I think it's worth continuing to document which Pro-supported games don't natively support supersampling for posterity.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 seemingly doesn't supersample by default. If anyone has a proper source for that it'd be very appreciated.

Updated OP with:

Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
The Crew 2
Danger Zone 2
FIFA 19
Hand of Fate 2
MotoGP 18
MXGP Pro
RDR2

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It's not that unusual, hence why we had the option patched it in to force it! Just hearing a lot of folk in the DF thread say it doesn't supersample, but haven't come across the original source of that statement.

I'm one of those that said I thought it did not supersample in that thread and the source for it was my own eyeballs.
I did three things:
Run the game at 2160p, game is fine but has heavy TAA
Run the game at 1080p but enable the system wide super sampling, the game looked like it was supersampled from the above.
Run the game at 1080p but disable the system wide super sampling, the game looked like it just rendered to 1080p without any supersampling. In fact from what I've seen of PS4 base screenshots it looked very much like that.

Now I'm no expert and did no counting of pixels, I just eyeballed it on my tv, so I asked in the thread if the usual suspects from DF and nxgamer could check it out. I'd wait for them for confirmation but there is a marked difference with system wide SS on and off.

Edit: as a 2nd piece of "evidence", there is a sharpen option in the game itself that is present in base ps4 (and on the pro when outputting to 1080p) that is not there when outputting to 2160p or 1080p with system wide supersampling.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm one of those that said I thought it did not supersample in that thread and the source for it was my own eyeballs.
I did three things:
Run the game at 2160p, game is fine but has heavy TAA
Run the game at 1080p but enable the system wide super sampling, the game looked like it was supersampled from the above.
Run the game at 1080p but disable the system wide super sampling, the game looked like it just rendered to 1080p without any supersampling. In fact from what I've seen of PS4 base screenshots it looked very much like that.

Now I'm no expert and did no counting of pixels, I just eyeballed it on my tv, so I asked in the thread if the usual suspects from DF and nxgamer could check it out. I'd wait for them for confirmation but there is a marked difference with system wide SS on and off.

Edit: as a 2nd piece of "evidence", there is a sharpen option in the game itself that is present in base ps4 (and on the pro when outputting to 1080p) that is not there when outputting to 2160p or 1080p with system wide supersampling.

So you're switching TVs? Or is it possible to set your Pro to 1080 on a 4k TV ?Didn't know that was possible.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So you're switching TVs? Or is it possible to set your Pro to 1080 on a 4k TV ?Didn't know that was possible.

You can either set it in the Screen section of system settings on the PS4 or as I do use a HDMI switch where you can set the EDID information so that it "pretends" to be a 1080p tv/monitor instead of 2160p and the PS4 will output to that resolution automatically.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
You can either set it in the Screen section of system settings on the PS4 or as I do use a HDMI switch where you can set the EDID information so that it "pretends" to be a 1080p tv/monitor instead of 2160p and the PS4 will output to that resolution automatically.

Oh, cool.

Thanks for the reply. I remembered afterwards that people were doing that for The Last Guardian and a couple others.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks as always to Liabe Brave , his wonderful All games with PS4 Pro enhancements thread, and to the folk who contribute to that thread. I've updated the OP with:

Anthem
Assassin's Creed III Remastered
Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered
Farming Simulator 19
Kingdom Hearts III
Left Alive
MLB The Show 19
Monster Energy Supercross 2
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks as always to Liabe Brave , his wonderful All games with PS4 Pro enhancements thread, and to the folk who contribute to that thread.
No problem at all, I think it's meaningful info for some users. That's why even after forced supersampling was added I've continued to notate it in my thread...but it can be difficult to pick out specifics given the lengthy lists there. It's helpful you keeping track of these separately

Though I haven't added it to my thread yet, Team Sonic Racing also does not automatically downsample.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
No problem at all, I think it's meaningful info for some users. That's why even after forced supersampling was added I've continued to notate it in my thread...but it can be difficult to pick out specifics given the lengthy lists there. It's helpful you keeping track of these separately

Though I haven't added it to my thread yet, Team Sonic Racing also does not automatically downsample.

Oh really? I was under the impression it only rendered at 1080p.

Edit: You are right, just saw the Digital Foundry video. Added to the OP, thanks!

Last edited: