• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Updated OP with Shadow of the Colossus. Can't watch the video right now, does it have 1080p benefits?

Did this too if people want to join me:

Joined you! :) Guys, please all Twitter Bluepointgames. Maybe we can change something till release in case they indeed plan right now to just lock out HDTV users of a higher resolution mode.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Should have gotten greg miller to ask at psx yesterday a long with psn name changing.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I knew super sampling was going to have technical issues. If you have to render the game at 4x HD and then resample, while rendering an interactive environment with various unpredictable performance spikes obviously that's going to present and insurmountable obstacle for a lot of developers that aren't Guerilla Games.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I have emailed and tweeted Bluepoint about this issue as well. Bluepoint is the last developer I would expect to lock users out of any sorts of benefits, and I personally believe their statements on this were just poorly/awkwardly worded, but we'll see.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness! :D I wasn't going to allow myself to be hyped for this game or preorder it until that was confirmed.
Why do we always have to drag a confirmation of downsampling out of the devs? Often we only learn about it after release form Digital Foundry or NX Gamer. Why don't they just address it themselves, when they are already talking about improvements on the Pro? Downsampling is not a given after all and there are still a majority of people gaming on 1080p TVs.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more concerned about PS4 Pro games that lock 1080p players into downsampling. A lot of the time, I'd rather just have the smoother frame rates available prior to any Pro support patch. I'm looking at you Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more concerned about PS4 Pro games that lock 1080p players into downsampling. A lot of the time, I'd rather just have the smoother frame rates available prior to any Pro support patch. I'm looking at you Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

That would be an interesting topic in all honesty, but not relevant for this one.

I'd be interested to read a thread about people discussing that.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That would be an interesting topic in all honesty, but not relevant for this one.

I'd be interested to read a thread about people discussing that.

Why? Why are certain games locking out options for 1080p display users on the PS4 Pro? Mark Cerny promised at the Pro announcement that 1080p users would receive benefits, and yet for a fair few games, we're being arbitrarily locked out of accessing them for no other reason than that we don't own/use a 4K display instead.

Sorry, it's your thread, so if you want to keep it super narrow to one particular poor PS4 Pro behavior, I'll leave, but it follows along right from this statement in your original post. 1080p users are being arbitrarily locked out of PS4 Pro benefits, only in more than just one way. I don't consider a lower frame rate than a regular PS4 user in exchange for a marginally more antialiassed image a "benefit", and I thought this problem within the realm of limiting 1080p Pro users' choices enough for the same discussion.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean, 1080p to 720p?

Yep. Play your PS4 (OG) or PS4 Pro on a 720p/768p TV and your 900p/1080p games are downsampling, their internal resolution doesn't drop to 720p.

Sorry, it's your thread, so if you want to keep it super narrow to one particular poor PS4 Pro behavior, I'll leave, but it follows along right from this statement in your original post. 1080p users are being arbitrarily locked out of PS4 Pro benefits, only in more than just one way. I don't consider a lower frame rate than a regular PS4 user in exchange for a marginally more antialiassed image a "benefit", and I thought this problem within the realm of limiting 1080p Pro users' choices enough for the same discussion.

But you're not getting a worse framerate in Fallout 4, etc. on a 1080p display (on Pro) than if you were playing on a 4K display. It's not relevant for this topic.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Play your PS4 (OG) or PS4 Pro on a 720p/768p TV and your 900p/1080p games are downsampling, their internal resolution doesn't drop to 720p.

But how the fuck would you know that if you never used your PS4 on an old-ass 720p screen lol hardly something people "conveniently forgot about."

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sony's (and devs') communication on PS4 Pro downsampling leaves so much to be desired. They expressly marketed the Pro as a console for enthusiasts, yet leave said enthusiasts to find out for themselves, through forums and twitter, exactly what benefits the Pro version will deliver, and particularly whether downsampling is in for 1080p users - a benefit that was promised before launch. I find it absolutely astonishing.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Every PS4 since Oct 2013 had down-sampling as default behavior, internet just decided to conveniently forget about it when Pro/4k displays came out.

Yeah I remember games looking much sharper on my 720p TV than any 720p PS360 game I've played last gen. Any ideas or insight why a developer would put in the extra work to disable downsampling? I don't recall any PS4 game rendering at 720p when the system was set to that resolution.

Not disputing anything you've been saying BTW, just curious as to why we've never seen SS disabled until the Pro was launched.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For one, Sony does have a similar system (minus the 16xAF). Boosting of dynamic resolution, framerate, and other effects that scale with available resources happens on Pro. And downsampling is the default behavior.

It's not a dice roll, the developer has to intentionally offer a different mode for 1080p displays. In almost all cases, this means better framerates instead of downsampling. In some cases, like those listed in the OP, there are other benefits as well. If I recall correctly, there are only 3 games where there's no apparent benefit (though even for those it's possible very rare framerate problems are ironed out).

Of course, from a player perspective it'd be better if you could choose between such options, rather than being locked into one or the other based on your display. But it's definite hyperbole to say 1080p users get "screwed".

Have any links to devs or other corroborating info? If boosting dynamic res were the default, then how is it that devs have to "intentionally offer a different mode for 1080p display"? If the res is boosted in accordance with processing power and then is downsampled automatically as you claim, then why would devs need to do it manually as your say in the 2nd paragraph? If framerates were the main concern, they could cap the dynamic res to downsample from.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
But how the would you know that if you never used your PS4 on an old-ass 720p screen
You can force 720p on a 1080p display to test it out - I was mainly pointing out anyone could see this for themselves, and consoles have had this since 2005, and it was quite commonly bypassed by developer back then also.

Any ideas or insight why a developer would put in the extra work to disable downsampling?
As Liabe Brave and others have pointed out - explicit support for 1080p/4k usually means different performance profiles, and users seem to want multiple options for that. I recall a lot of noise was made on the old forum over certain early Pro enabled-games that only-downsampled without choice of other modes, and their performance wasn't perceived favorably.
As to why that, over using in-game menu with graphical-modes (that would work regardless of TV connected) the answer is simple - far less work is involved. UX and QA/performance testing are generally the biggest time/money sinks when supporting multiple configurations.

IplayGames4Fun

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This makes Sony look super pathetic to be honest.
How long have they had now to implement a similar system?

But no, let's roll the dice and see if 1080p players get screwed.

Meh they both have their strengths and weaknesses. MS has been unifying things at a system level going back to the original xbox. Sony has always had a "we provide the hardware leave the rest to the devs" type of stance.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
You can force 720p on a 1080p display to test it out - I was mainly pointing out anyone could see this for themselves, and consoles have had this since 2005, and it was quite commonly bypassed by developer back then also.

As Liabe Brave and others have pointed out - explicit support for 1080p/4k usually means different performance profiles, and users seem to want multiple options for that. I recall a lot of noise was made on the old forum over certain early Pro enabled-games that only-downsampled without choice of other modes, and their performance wasn't perceived favorably.
As to why that, over using in-game menu with graphical-modes (that would work regardless of TV connected) the answer is simple - far less work is involved. UX and QA/performance testing are generally the biggest time/money sinks when supporting multiple configurations.

I get it with games that have different performance profiles. I don't question the developer choices with those games since it's pretty clear. I'm curious on games that don't offer multiple rendering modes but also don't downsample when hooked up to a 1080p display. Games like the Assassins Creed Collection, Dishonored 2, and Outlast 2 all render at higher resolutions when hooked up to a 4K TV but render at 1080p when hooked up to a FHD display with no benefits. If I understand you correctly, additional work would have needed to be done to disable SS and I'm just curious why they would go through this additional work. I'm not bothered by any of it in the end, it's just a curiosity on my part.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I get it with games that have different performance profiles. I don't question the developer choices with those games since it's pretty clear. I'm curious on games that don't offer multiple rendering modes but also don't downsample when hooked up to a 1080p display. Games like the Assassins Creed Collection, Dishonored 2, and Outlast 2 all render at higher resolutions when hooked up to a 4K TV but render at 1080p when hooked up to a FHD display with no benefits. If I understand you correctly, additional work would have needed to be done to disable SS and I'm just curious why they would go through this additional work. I'm not bothered by any of it in the end, it's just a curiosity on my part.

Outlast 2 has benefits, it's in the OP.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

Sure, but why would anyone do that? You can't blame people for being ignorant when there was simply never any benefit of a downsampled 1080p on 720p for the majority of people, and you might not even notice it without sufficient knowledge even if you did try it. Same goes for playing PS3 on an SD screen, something I've even actively looked down upon.
People have only started to care now because there is actually some relevancy to the function this time. You're buying a console for specific benefits, not even to just play the games, but to get extra goodies, and sometimes you're just missing out. That's bad.

And since no dev ever seems to talk about why they turned it off or didn't implement it (in case people don't know which one it is), we were almost completely reliant on comments on the matter such as yours to even get the slightest bit of insight.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Have any links to devs or other corroborating info? If boosting dynamic res were the default, then how is it that devs have to "intentionally offer a different mode for 1080p display"? If the res is boosted in accordance with processing power and then is downsampled automatically as you claim, then why would devs need to do it manually as your say in the 2nd paragraph?
Fafalada has already responded so this may be superfluous, but you're a little confused about what I was saying. Boosting resolution automatically only happens with unpatched games with dynamic resolution. And it tops out at whatever the original target was, which I believe in all cases is 1080p. Therefore, unpatched games don't ever get downsampling.

Patched games will automatically downsample on 1080p displays if necessary, so if the dev wants to focus on a different benefit, such as framerate, they have to intentionally offer a non-default setup. And yes, theoretically they could choose to not remove but just reduce the res increase instead. So on 4K displays the game could be, say, 1800p with unstable 30fps, but on 1080p displays 1440p downsampled with stable 30fps.

In fact, we seem to have a (similar) instance announced just now. It appears that Shadow of the Colossus resolution mode is 2160ti on 4K displays (that is, 4K resolution reconstructed from prior frame info). But on 1080p displays, it's downsampled from only 1440p (the single-frame render target), rather than the reconstructed 3840x2160 buffer. It's not known if the framerate is improved, but I imagine it could be by some little amount.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

And vice versa, I don't consider marginally improved performance a benefit over noticeably improved anti-aliasing and textures that supersampling provides. Let alone, removing supersampling from 30fps quality modes, like it was with The Last of Us until it was reverted back.

VG Tech

Oct 28, 2017
Rocket League really needs downsampling on PS4 Pro; image quality is poor at 1080p. It's a shame too, as the checkerboard rendering implementation was really good on PS4 Pro.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

More replies following my first tweet if people want to retweet, like, post their own tweets, etc.

Nothing will change if nobody is making noise about it.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone

Thank you very much! It appears that Future Tone doesn't have downsampling for 1080p displays...but it does have improved AA versus its 4K mode. So edges and detail are about as smooth as they would be with downsampling, but the texture filtering isn't improved.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
This still annoy me, I sold my base ps4 to get ready for the pro deals this holiday but as a 1080p tv user this kept me from going with the pro. But seems like the average consumer is not bothered with it.

As a full digital consumer I welcomed xbox one vision in 2013 but that did not turn out great as we all know :p I really really hope ps5 will embrace super sampling for every customer

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This still annoy me, I sold my base ps4 to get ready for the pro deals this holiday but as a 1080p tv user this kept me from going with the pro. But seems like the average consumer is not bothered with it.

Yep, they simply aren't. Here on this forum you can count the members that not just complain, but at least try to take action on one hand. Vashetti and me being already two of those.
It basically always goes like this:
1) Word comes out that game has no downsampling
2) Several people complain: Why is this still a thing?
3) Several people don't get it: Why are you are even complaining?
4) Several complaining people justify themselves:This is why we complain...
5) Several people that don't get it: kay...
6) Out of several people complaining only a couple actually go to developer and Sony to complain
7) Rinse and repeat step 1 to 7 when next game with no downsampling arrives

If I were Sony I'd ignore this too...

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Downsampling is NOT enabled by default on the PS4 Pro.

There are two modes. A 3840x2160 mode, and a 1920x1080 mode. The mode is selected based on your TV's resolution. By default, games in 1920x1080 mode will display in 1080p and offer no downsampling.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
By default, games in 1920x1080 mode will display in 1080p and offer no downsampling.
That makes it sound like most of the games don't offer downsampling, which is utterly wrong. About 90% off the games with Pro support offer their high res setting in form of downsampling. And of the rest, most have specific benefits like increased draw distance or better antialiasing for 1080p users.

The majority doesn't care because it only affects a minority of games. Still sad to see in certain cases, but don't make it more than it is. The worst culprit is Square Enix, and Ubisoft may hold the high score with AC Ezio Collection, which is pixel for pixel, frame for frame identical to base PS4 for 1080 p users.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Fafalada has already responded so this may be superfluous, but you're a little confused about what I was saying. Boosting resolution automatically only happens with unpatched games with dynamic resolution. And it tops out at whatever the original target was, which I believe in all cases is 1080p. Therefore, unpatched games don't ever get downsampling.

Patched games will automatically downsample on 1080p displays if necessary, so if the dev wants to focus on a different benefit, such as framerate, they have to intentionally offer a non-default setup. And yes, theoretically they could choose to not remove but just reduce the res increase instead. So on 4K displays the game could be, say, 1800p with unstable 30fps, but on 1080p displays 1440p downsampled with stable 30fps.

In fact, we seem to have a (similar) instance announced just now. It appears that Shadow of the Colossus resolution mode is 2160ti on 4K displays (that is, 4K resolution reconstructed from prior frame info). But on 1080p displays, it's downsampled from only 1440p (the single-frame render target), rather than the reconstructed 3840x2160 buffer. It's not known if the framerate is improved, but I imagine it could be by some little amount.
I guess it wouldn't be SOTC without at least one mode having framerate drops.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

What would you say looks better on a 1080p screen, downsampled native 1440p or downsampled checkerboard 2160p that is reconstructed from 1440p?
What I appreciate most about higher resolutions is the increased clarity of textures and texture filtering (imo especially important) and the increased detail on things like foliage in the distance, which doesn't look as cut out and undetailed in higher resolutions as it does in 1080p. Improved AA is great as well, but today most games already look pretty smooth in 1080p due to good AA solutions.

Last edited:

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

I think it is more the thread topic has nothing to do what you want, and hardly anyone cares about that at all. There are other issues too. We should definitely get more
If any Rocket League fans want downsampling, I'd ask you to upvote and perhaps comment on my post on their official Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeag...ease_implement_downsamplingsupersampling_for/

I initially posted it on their official support system, before being redirected to Facebook, before again being redirected to Reddit! :P

Shit I doubt they can pull it off lol. My 1070 would not even run close to native 4K at 60FPS. So the best you could hope for is 1440p. They might as well just improve their AA.